• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

So when does it stop being 'PC' and start being 'Common Decency'

If not, what do you think they define it as?

In a phrase - the inability to call a spade a spade.

Alice-In-Wonderland-I-See-What-You-Did-There.jpg

I was very particular in responding.

Indeed.

May I further enrage the regressives here by pointing out that the rejection of so-called "political correctness" is possibly a symptom of (gasp!) white privilege, given that the people most likely to be bothered by political correctness are the people least likely to be forced to tolerate abusive language and/or behavior purely on account of their race, sex, religion or sexual orientation?

Here's a random thought.

Most people on this board probably equate "Politically Correctness" with "Common Decency."

Do you think those who have a negative view of Political Correctness define it the same way? Why or why not? If not, what do you think they define it as?

I don't. I think political correctness is poison. I think it leads to dumbing down the entire discourse. It also leads to a public discourse that is harder to understand because now suddenly we have to start communicating through metaphor. Political correctness will never have any impact on what people actually believe. Just read any western 18'th century newspaper. Or any Chinese blog by dissidents. Walking around the rules is super easy. It leads to a warped language and hampers clear communication. It also hides who really is a decent person and who is playing an act. Political correctness has got to go. It's pure poison IMHO

^ ^

Not only poison but stupid.

Everyone knows that December 25th is Christmas - insisting that everyone call it "Holiday" doesn't change that. Radical Islamist terrorists exist - pretending they don't doesn't stop them. Kids playing sports games know who wins - not "officially" keeping score doesn't make the kids ignorant of who won. Those who have lost an arm or leg are well aware of it - calling them "'alternately-abled" is just patronizing. etc. etc.

'Political Correctness', as has been pointed out, is a total fantasy of the Nazis and their supporters. It simply means enforced decency, of a very limited kind.

Here's a random thought.

Most people on this board probably equate "Politically Correctness" with "Common Decency."

Do you think those who have a negative view of Political Correctness define it the same way? Why or why not? If not, what do you think they define it as?
No, they don't. I think they have differing views of it, just like those who have less negative view of it. Some of them are alt-SJW snowflakes who are upset at being viewed as less polite for their language use. Some seem to conflate PC with the "war on Christmas" or "the war on _____ism" (fill in the blank). Some of them simply view PC as a way to insult those with whom they disagree. And, I am sure there are even more gradations of their views.

Some "PC" is ridiculous. Some it is not. Just like some aspects of libertarianism or any other "ism" are ridiculous and others are not.

Here's a random thought.

No, they don't. I think they have differing views of it, just like those who have less negative view of it. Some of them are alt-SJW snowflakes who are upset at being viewed as less polite for their language use. Some seem to conflate PC with the "war on Christmas" or "the war on _____ism" (fill in the blank). Some of them simply view PC as a way to insult those with whom they disagree. And, I am sure there are even more gradations of their views.

Some "PC" is ridiculous. Some it is not. Just like some aspects of libertarianism or any other "ism" are ridiculous and others are not.

See, that wasn't as hard as Jason made it out to be

^ ^

Everyone knows that December 25th is Christmas - insisting that everyone call it "Holiday" doesn't change that. Radical Islamist terrorists exist - pretending they don't doesn't stop them. Kids playing sports games know who wins - not "officially" keeping score doesn't make the kids ignorant of who won. Those who have lost an arm or leg are well aware of it - calling them "'alternately-abled" is just patronizing. etc. etc.

Yup. Reminds me of an interview I saw years ago where some newbie, PC reporter had the task of interviewing a blind guy about some major accomplishment he just did, and she started off by asking him if he prefers to be called "visually impaired", or "optically challenged" or other such nonsense and he responded by saying, "Lady, I'm fucking blind!". She almost burst into tears.

It seems to me that there are obvious distinctions to be made. For instance, I dislike being called 'Welsh', since it means 'foreign' and my ancestors have, as far as I know, been here since the first settlement. 'Taffy' is an unpleasant attempt to imitate someone saying 'Dafydd' with a strong accent. 'To Welsh' is almost exactly equivalent to 'to Jew'. When I discuss political issues with right-wing English, they inevitably tell me I shag sheep. The first, 'Welsh' is offensive', but most people don't even know what it means; 'Taffy' is always unpleasant, roughly equivalent to 'Nigger' in force, but most English like to pretend it is just jolly fun, based on, of all things, the river Taff, as if they knew where anywhere in Wails might be; similarly, they pretend that 'to Welsh' is really about some Prince of Wails, at some time or another; the bit about sheep is always deeply racist, and prevents serious discussion - it is their way of escaping into a slanging-match. So which would it be 'PC' to ban? Obviously real Nazis would keep every possible way to be offensive, but I'd suggest that only the last should be banned, and its perpetrators jailed for attempts to cause a breach of the peace.

It seems to me that there are obvious distinctions to be made. For instance, I dislike being called 'Welsh', since it means 'foreign' and my ancestors have, as far as I know, been here since the first settlement. 'Taffy' is an unpleasant attempt to imitate someone saying 'Dafydd' with a strong accent. 'To Welsh' is almost exactly equivalent to 'to Jew'. When I discuss political issues with right-wing English, they inevitably tell me I shag sheep. The first, 'Welsh' is offensive', but most people don't even know what it means; 'Taffy' is always unpleasant, roughly equivalent to 'Nigger' in force, but most English like to pretend it is just jolly fun, based on, of all things, the river Taff, as if they knew where anywhere in Wails might be; similarly, they pretend that 'to Welsh' is really about some Prince of Wails, at some time or another; the bit about sheep is always deeply racist, and prevents serious discussion - it is their way of escaping into a slanging-match. So which would it be 'PC' to ban? Obviously real Nazis would keep every possible way to be offensive, but I'd suggest that only the last should be banned, and its perpetrators jailed for attempts to cause a breach of the peace.

So what should one call that country and its people? I had never heard that "Welsh" was unkind! Something interesting to know since I am part Welsh, but many generations removed so the connection is utterly lost.

So what should one call that country and its people? I had never heard that "Welsh" was unkind! Something interesting to know since I am part Welsh, but many generations removed so the connection is utterly lost.

Cymru and y Cymry. The British people who didn't fancy rule by foreign mercenaries called themselves 'fellow countrymen' (British) which is what it means, and Cymru is their country. I myself say 'Wales' (in inverted commas - 'as they say'), normally, and no one seems bothered.

Last edited:
So what should one call that country and its people? I had never heard that "Welsh" was unkind!
It isn't. It appears to be derived from an ancient Celtic word "uolco" that meant "hawk"; the modern Welsh spelling is "gwalch". There were Celtic communities using that name all over Europe in the first millennium BC; in Latin it became a common generic word for Celts; Germans got it from Latin and used it as a generic word for Romans, presumably because most of the people of the Roman Empire they encountered were Celtic so that's what the Germans heard them calling themselves. So of course when the Saxons conquered Roman Britain, they used their word for "Roman" to refer to the Britons. The circumstance that Germans also called Walloons and Wallachians "Romans" doesn't make it unkind to call Celts by the Celtic name of a Celtic tribe.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walhaz

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volcae

"(compare the Gaulish personal name Catuuolcus to Welsh cadwalch 'hero', literally 'battle-hawk')"

PC was a term that invented by right-wingers to relabel what other people consider courtesy.

As a progressive liberal, I certainly like to think so. :)
An awful lot of progressives think so, entirely because they like to think so. But it isn't true. "Politically correct" used to be a term of art in Marxist circles. The hard left said it unselfconsciously, referring to views they saw as being the correct views to hold for political reasons. The ideologically impure left got fed up with the orthodox left trying to stifle debate among the left and bully them into conformity, and they took up using "politically correct" sarcastically, as a put-down of Marxist narrow-mindedness and an expression of their own commitment to accepting diversity of opinion. The concept spread by osmosis from the non-doctrinaire leftists to centrists, and eventually to rightists. Of course centrists and rightists use it to refer to a considerably less specialized orthodoxy than the one the Marxists were pushing. From a point of view outside the left, an awful lot of the non-Marxist left come off about as dogmatic as orthodox Marxists come off from the point of view of a typical leftist.

As a progressive liberal, I certainly like to think so. :)
An awful lot of progressives think so, entirely because they like to think so. But it isn't true. "Politically correct" used to be a term of art in Marxist circles. The hard left said it unselfconsciously, referring to views they saw as being the correct views to hold for political reasons. The ideologically impure left got fed up with the orthodox left trying to stifle debate among the left and bully them into conformity, and they took up using "politically correct" sarcastically, as a put-down of Marxist narrow-mindedness and an expression of their own commitment to accepting diversity of opinion. The concept spread by osmosis from the non-doctrinaire leftists to centrists, and eventually to rightists. Of course centrists and rightists use it to refer to a considerably less specialized orthodoxy than the one the Marxists were pushing. From a point of view outside the left, an awful lot of the non-Marxist left come off about as dogmatic as orthodox Marxists come off from the point of view of a typical leftist.
You also know who used words and terms and phrases....

...Hitler.

Game set match.

The term PC was introduced into American Political lexicon by the right wing, not liberals.

PC is common decency. That's why conservatives hate it.
There is common decency and then there is political correctness that demands that people deny reality.

^ ^

Yup. Reminds me of an interview I saw years ago where some newbie, PC reporter had the task of interviewing a blind guy about some major accomplishment he just did, and she started off by asking him if he prefers to be called "visually impaired", or "optically challenged" or other such nonsense and he responded by saying, "Lady, I'm fucking blind!". She almost burst into tears.

There are a few of the many examples of the absurdity here.
http://listverse.com/2010/10/26/10-ridiculous-cases-of-political-correctness/

There is common decency and then there is political correctness that demands that people deny reality.
So, was the effort to stop calling black people "niggers" an example of common decency or political correctness" Was the effort to stop calling Jews "kikes" an example of common decency or "political correctness"? And how does one distinguish between the two in real time?

So, was the effort to stop calling black people "niggers" an example of common decency or political correctness" Was the effort to stop calling Jews "kikes" an example of common decency or "political correctness"? And how does one distinguish between the two in real time?

Are you just pretending ignorance or is this real? Try reading the examples of political correctness in the post you are pretending to be responding to.

The term PC was introduced into American Political lexicon by the right wing, not liberals.
Do you have any reason for believing that, other than that you personally first heard it from the right wing? The hot air you are exposed to is not the totality of American political discourse.

Think about it. How on earth do you figure anyone who "invented" a term to disparage his political opponents with would choose to call them "correct"? The phrase makes no sense except as mocking. And you mock people by using their own words against them satirically. Of course the phrase was introduced by the left.

Are you just pretending ignorance or is this real? Try reading the examples of political correctness in the post you are pretending to be responding to.

Real.

I live in the southern bible belt. The old timers are still calling black folks niggers and coloreds and don't see anything wrong with it.

Back
Top Bottom