• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Soccer

At this rate it's hard to imagine them being beat over two legs by anyone, and they've got a hell of a lot of inertia and motivation given the win last year. And given what seems to be a weaker La Liga and Man City, I'd be a bit surprised if they didn't win both save some injuries.

How would American MLS teams fare against European teams?

It depends on what European league you are talking about and specifically what MLS team(s). They would probably do very well in some leagues, be ok in others and not so good in others. The MLS standard is decent and some MLS teams would do OK in the EPL. Top six probably.

It depends on what European league you are talking about and specifically what MLS team(s). They would probably do very well in some leagues, be ok in others and not so good in others. The MLS standard is decent and some MLS teams would do OK in the EPL. Top six probably.

I agree. It's surprising to me how poor the quality is on the bottom half of the premier league. Many decent, but definitely not great teams. I'm not too familiar with the MLS, but I'd expect some of the teams could hold their own, but would likely struggle against relegation. They'd likely fit better in the Championship (division 2).

But yea, in some less prestigious leagues they'd likely do fine.

I agree. It's surprising to me how poor the quality is on the bottom half of the premier league.

It seems that some of the European leagues (e.g. England, Spain, Germany, Scotland) have an elite few teams that have pretty much dominated the league the past 30 years and the rest of the clubs just make up the numbers. The EPL does seem to be going through a changing of the guard but this has a lot to do with money laundering operations.

Top Six... in the EPL? Is that why an MLS team has never won the CONCACAF Champions League? The MLS would struggle in Liga MX.

Top Six... in the EPL? Is that why an MLS team has never won the CONCACAF Champions League? The MLS would struggle in Liga MX.

In the EPL a top MLS team would be mid table, possible finish in top six. i.e 6th, maybe 5th at best. Most teams in the EPL are pretty average.

In the EPL a top MLS team would be mid table, possible finish in top six. i.e 6th, maybe 5th at best. Most teams in the EPL are pretty average.
Is that why Wolves and Stoke City and Fulham were able to have impressive runs in the Europa League?

And as noted, no CONCACAF Champions League titles for the MLS yet.

Is that why Wolves and Stoke City and Fulham were able to have impressive runs in the Europa League?

There's no reason to think that a top MLS team wouldn't have a decent run in Europa. Wolves, Stoke and Fulham are perennial relegation candidates when in the EPL.

There's no reason to think that a top MLS team wouldn't have a decent run in Europa. Wolves, Stoke and Fulham are perennial relegation candidates when in the EPL.
How does that support your claim that the bottom half of the EPL is weak. If "perennial relegation candidates" of the EPL can make it through the Group Stage of the Europa League, that sounds like the EPL is pretty darn good, or the mid majors in Europe aren't that good.

How does that support your claim that the bottom half of the EPL is weak. If "perennial relegation candidates" of the EPL can make it through the Group Stage of the Europa League, that sounds like the EPL is pretty darn good, or the mid majors in Europe aren't that good.

Well, you can't have a good run in Europa if you don't qualify. Perennial relegation candidates don't qualify for Europa. Occasionally a team like Wolves or whatever do make Europa. And Europa is chock full of average teams, it's a bit of a lottery to progress. A team may be lucky and get to thrash Kazakistan Utd or Tela Aviv Athletic and make progress or they may come up against a top tier team that has bounced out of champions league. In summary, Europa league is a piss poor tournament in my opinion. It is obviously a second tier tournament to generate revenue. Entertaining for the fans of the clubs involved but generally not worth my time.

Okay, so MLS team can win Europa now. Not CONCACAF Champions League, but Europa, sure!

Liverpool's relentless march towards the EPL league title continued with another win against Wolves, a team that gave Liverpool as tough a game as they will ever have this season. I keep looking for signs of Liverpool taking their foot off the gas but they seem hellbent on seeing out the season breaking records. However they still managed to debut a new player after Mane went off.

And the slump continues for Manchester Utd as they are beaten 0-2 by Burnley. A strange season for the EPL which makes it a bit more interesting I suppose.

Woah, Manchester City have been banned from Champions League for two seasons. That could be good news for Leicester and Wolves. Who are playing now.

Leicester are set. Wolves, Tottenham, and Sheffield United could be playing for a spot in the Champions League, but the reporting I saw indicated that they are reportedly in at 5th place. I can't imagine the cash haul for Sheffield United if they made Champions League. It'd sure be huge for Wolves as well.

Meanwhile, Liverpool continue their unprecedented run of awesomeness dating back to the beginning of last year. They are on the verge of breaking every record. And they are doing so by the skin of their teeth. Allison was able to bat away a ball in a situation that should have given Norwich City a goal. Liverpool need 5 more wins to definitely win the title. I've never seen a team be so dominant, so meekly. Any dropped points by City or umm... City, the light blue one... the other light blue one... will benefit Liverpool. Manchester City could drop points if the EPL FPP MC. But with an appeal likely to come, EPL probably waits?

The earliest an EPL team won the EPL Title was 2000-01 when the Red Devils won on April 14th, ultimately defeating Arsenal by 10 points. Liverpool could do it March 21st! Slip ups make it possible to win it at Everton. If Liverpool slip up, they could win it at the Etihad.

But attention is away from the EPL at the moment, as The Reds head to Madrid to play Atletico in the first leg of the Round of 16. In the EPL, Manchester United is the only decent team to hang with Liverpool, with most of the tight matches against weaker opponents. We'll see if this remains true tomorrow and Liverpool open things up quick.

Are they really winning these games that meekly? They've looked pretty dominant in most games to me, maybe with the exception of when they played Wolves. It's hard to blow teams out when they put their entire team on the defensive, and most opponents aren't getting many quality scoring chances.

I think what you're seeing is that they don't have a Messi or Ronaldo who can create 2 to 3 goals a game, but they're such a strong overall side that they're very hard to beat across 90 minutes. Eventually they break through and score, usually once they've worn their opponents down.

They simply aren't letting the other teams score, but some of that has been the result of Allison's or Van Dijk's brilliance. Since the Mercyside Derby, Liverpool have allowed 2 goals... in 11 games! Granted, they have scored 24 goals in that run, which over 2 goals a game.

This season reminds me a bit of the Patriots Super Bowl win against the Rams last year. You kept waiting for the Pats to give up the big play, as they did in several Super Bowls, but it never happened. This season (well, last year too really), Liverpool have had a few moments of vulnerability, but they have rarely conceded to it.

Back
Top Bottom