• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Soccer

Ah, finally have a subscription to the Premier League (and most European Leagues) with DAZN now.

About to watch my team (Norwich) get stomped by Man City today. Also seeing Liverpool get their fifth win this morning.

Last edited:
Is there a name for the effect when a good team doesn't take a poor team seriously enough and goes down 2 - nil in the first half?

Although, to their credit Norwich is playing pretty well. A team with nothing to lose.

Best thing about European football, every game matters. Awesome job by the short handed Canaries.

I happened to catch the second half of Watford v Arsenal. Hilarious gaff in defense. Watford could have should have won.

After the game on Saturday I think I may just follow Norwich right through their season. Will be a good opportunity to see every team play and actually properly follow a single premier league team, while focusing on staying in the table rather than the championship. Of course catching the Man City / Liverpool top six meetings as well. The final meeting between Man and Liverpool was a classic last year.

Is there a name for the effect when a good team doesn't take a poor team seriously enough and goes down 2 - nil in the first half?

Although, to their credit Norwich is playing pretty well. A team with nothing to lose.

In the NFL and NBA, when a team takes a win for granted and unexpectedly loses, they are said to have been "looking past" that opponent and thinking about their following game(s).

In the NFL and NBA, when a team takes a win for granted and unexpectedly loses, they are said to have been "looking past" that opponent and thinking about their following game(s).

I find it interesting how motivating or demotivating an opponent can be, and how few teams seem to reach consistency, night after night. Norwich played up, City played down and got beat, then this weekend Norwich put on a completely unconvincing performance against a much weaker team.

That's the parity of the EPL. Nothing is certain and every game matters.

I find it interesting how motivating or demotivating an opponent can be, and how few teams seem to reach consistency, night after night. Norwich played up, City played down and got beat, then this weekend Norwich put on a completely unconvincing performance against a much weaker team.

It only took me a month to remember, but it's called a trap game, like today when the Cowboys play the Jets.

Last edited:
Liverpool continue to dominate the EPL with their scrappy, barely getting by winning performances. Over a quarter into the season, Liverpool stand at 9-1-0, just 2 pts shy of a perfect record.

Manchester City has looked the better team... when they win, but sit 6 pts back because they lost twice and tied once. Chelsea started slow, but are now tied in pts with Leceister City, who somehow are in 3rd at the moment. Meanwhile, Arsenal are in 5th, with just 4 wins and 4 ties and 2 losses. Yeah, ten games into the season and Arsenal (5th place) are 12 points behind 1st.

It seems the EPL is waiting for the wheels inevitable falling off the Liverpool bus.

Back
Top Bottom