• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

South Carolina police officer investigated after slamming student to ground at Spring Valley High

The desk fell over because she was struggling. This can be clearly seen in the video. The cop didn't mean for the desk & her to fall over like that. However,.

However, after she was out of the desk he definitely meant for her to take air as he threw her to the front of the room. Casting suspicion on whether he actually didn't mean for the desk to topple in the first place... That second assault kinda proves his frame of mind. IMHO.

Her motives and mindset and pretty much irrelevant here.
I agree.
That would be applicable in a potential punishment for her actions, which oddly enough have become whitewashed because an officer thought to himself, 'You think you are causing a disruption in the classroom, just wait to see what I have in mind".
Yeah, you right. The girl caused a disturbance for a teacher in a single classroom, the officer has caused a disturbance for a whole nation.

I am trying to figure out what "disruption" the girl caused. When I first heard the report on the news, I was imagining that two students were up and yelling in the classroom, maybe threatening the teacher, maybe threatening each other, at minimum loudly talking and/or moving through the classroom in a manner preventing the teacher from teaching. You know... disrupting

Later finding out that the girl was looking at her phone... nothing else, not talking on it, just looking or texting... that's not "disrupting". It may be against the rules, but it was not disrupting anyone. The dumb-ass teacher is the one who caused the disruption by making a public confrontation over it. And then compounding it by calling in school officials and then the SRO.

Was the teacher entirely incapable of asking her to put away the phone and, perhaps, giving her an "F" for the day if she didn't comply?

Instead, he and the other alleged adults are the ones that caused the disruption, in my opinion.

And the other girl being arrested for verbally protesting the violence she witnessed? What the ever-loving fuck?

It's harder to see in the video, but he tosses her across the room after he separates her from the desk. As it turns out, she has neck and back problems now, and her arm is in a cast. Also, it seems her mother recently died and she has been living in a foster home. So, she was emotionally unstable. She needed understanding and kindness. Instead she got shit justice, American style.
I think that sounds like the next Law & Order to air on Fox News...

Law & Order: SJ.
They had it coming

Last edited:
It's harder to see in the video, but he tosses her across the room after he separates her from the desk. As it turns out, she has neck and back problems now, and her arm is in a cast. Also, it seems her mother recently died and she has been living in a foster home. So, she was emotionally unstable. She needed understanding and kindness. Instead she got shit justice, American style.

Fuuuuuck. That is exactly why you don't assume everyone is a bad egg. But even if none of that were in her life, it would still have been wrong what this cop did.

Holding off on complete acceptance of this because, well, news. Earlier report said,
"The female student was not injured and was later released to her parents, cops said."

If this is true though - my heart goes out to her. :(

To: armydawg505

he’s a cop. he did the right thing. he subdued an attitudinal negress resisting arrest

96 posted on ‎10‎/‎28‎/‎2015‎ ‎11‎:‎49‎:‎13‎ ‎AM by bert ((K.E.; N.P.; GOPc.;+12, 73, ....carson is the kinder gentler trump)

Remember guys, racism is a relic of the past. Modern day conservatives have no truck with racism.

Her degree of non-compliance, yes, that's not what I encountered in school.
Really, you never saw a kid say "no" and then just sit there?

Maybe you don't remember those kids because they always complied after a while. Likely because your teachers and principals had the wisdom, patience, and social skills necessary to talk to the kid and reason them into compliance before resorting to throwing them across the room. Isn't that a possibility?

I don't recall anyone keeping doing something when the teacher had told them to stop it.

I didn't go to an inner city school, though.

To: SoftballMominVA

OH PUHLEAZE.

You are asking that the entire class to stop working, exit the classroom, and lose that class day to appease a single feral student.

Can you imagine what would happen if your policy was applied to all of ghetto America?

Let’s be extremely frank: Those people must be made to fear the white man. It is the only way to force them to adopt and maintain the norms of mainstream society. By allowing them to go off the reservation and live according to their desires we have allowed a feral, violent subculture to spring up among us.

134 posted on ‎10‎/‎28‎/‎2015‎ ‎1‎:‎02‎:‎42‎ ‎PM by T-Bone Texan (The economic collapse is imminent. Buy staple food and OTC meds now, before prices skyrocket.)

Remember, conservatives judge people by the merit of their character and not by the color of their skin.

So what? At whatever point she complied, that was the EXACT LIMIT of what was needed to get her to comply.

I realize that you are not satisfied with compliance. You want obeisance. And you're ready to punish to get it. She has already complied but you want her punished. You want her dominated by authority.

What you want is undemocratic and unreasonable. You're one of those people who thinks one can gain respect through violence. NeverhappenedInTheHistoryOfTheWorld. All you get is fear and resentment.

No. Expecting obedience is quite reasonable. If there's no consequences from her misbehavior she will just do it again tomorrow.

- - - Updated - - -

Ignore this video--it's been edited to remove part of the action. Given the size of the clip I can see no reason to think this is for anything but deceptive reasons.

I referenced that video not about what preceded force application but as a clear image of the nature of the force application. It illustrates clearly how the desk was flipped and how she was subsequently thrown to the front of the room.

And it's the application that I'm saying was edited. There's a chunk missing from when he grabs her until when the desk it upside-down--and since that's the main point of question I consider it's removal renders the clip meaningless and furthermore suggests that what really happened doesn't match the narrative that she wasn't resisting.

One note of importance, while I understand the gist, most of those deaths are accidental.

Oddly enough, plenty of right-wingers think we should get rid of the regulations that would lead to more deaths in those respective fields.

Isn't it true that almost half police officers who die on duty die from either heart attack or crashing their cars?
https://www.odmp.org/search/year

I don't belittle the efforts and risks to police officers. But I don't exaggerate them either.
Yes Police work is dangerous and represents putting oneself on the front line. No the risk is _not_ so great that it is "kill or be killed" out there. And so, no, it is not so great they they should be ready to shoot someone dead at the first inkling of risk.

And, yeah, that's very true about right wing efforts to remove safety regulations. So ironical.

And how many of those "automobile accidents" were while running hot, not simply from driving?

Maybe you don't remember those kids because they always complied after a while. Likely because your teachers and principals had the wisdom, patience, and social skills necessary to talk to the kid and reason them into compliance before resorting to throwing them across the room. Isn't that a possibility?

I don't recall anyone keeping doing something when the teacher had told them to stop it.

Well, I had the privilege of going to a "diverse school." And this is what you get when you back away from discipline:

"There are those that believe that by suspending kids we are building a pipeline to prison. I think that by not, we are," McQueen says. "I think we're telling these kids you don't have to be on time for anything, we're just going to talk to you. You can assault somebody and we're gonna let you come back here."

Harding teachers are terrified the district is sending kids into the world with distorted expectations of reality. They're unprepared for college. They're taught to disrespect authority. Sooner or later, they'll realize they were cheated, Brandt says.

But most teachers are afraid to speak out. Tenure, after all, doesn't come until after three years on the job. And even those with tenure fear transfers and endless performance evaluations.

At John A. Johnson Elementary on the East Side, several teachers, who asked to remain anonymous, describe anything but a learning environment. Students run up and down the hallways, slamming lockers and tearing posters off the walls. They hit and swear at each other, upend garbage cans under teachers' noses.

"We have students who will spend an hour in the hallway just running and hiding from people, like it's a game for them," says one despondent teacher. "A lot of them know no one is going to stop them, so they just continue."

Nine teachers at Ramsey Middle School have quit since the beginning of this school year. Some left for other districts. Others couldn't withstand the escalating anarchy.

In mid-April, staff at Battle Creek Elementary penned a letter to their principal over "concerns about building wide safety, both physical and emotional, as well as the deteriorating learning environment."

http://www.citypages.com/news/distrust-and-disorder-a-racial-equity-policy-summons-chaos-in-the-st-paul-schools-7394479

In other words she can use the risk of her being hurt to keep class at a standstill. You sure do like jumping from the frying pan to the fire!

You have it backwards. Keeping all students safe is the 1st priority. The lack of humanity and understanding exhibited by conservatives continues to demonstrate why they are inferior.

Then close school--that way nobody gets hurt in school.

If we are going to let the risk of a student being hurt while being stopped from misbehaving keep us from stopping the misbehavior there's no point to schools in poor areas anyway.

Oh so you were an only child and homeschooled?

Or maybe you have Alzheimer's?

because kids across all social strata have bad days, have behavioral issues, and feel the need to assert themselves.

Because kids in the REAL WORLD are not STEPFORD CHILDREN

No. Expecting obedience is quite reasonable. If there's no consequences from her misbehavior she will just do it again tomorrow.

- - - Updated - - -

Ignore this video--it's been edited to remove part of the action. Given the size of the clip I can see no reason to think this is for anything but deceptive reasons.

I referenced that video not about what preceded force application but as a clear image of the nature of the force application. It illustrates clearly how the desk was flipped and how she was subsequently thrown to the front of the room.

And it's the application that I'm saying was edited. There's a chunk missing from when he grabs her until when the desk it upside-down--and since that's the main point of question I consider it's removal renders the clip meaningless and furthermore suggests that what really happened doesn't match the narrative that she wasn't resisting.

Post the full video.

The desk fell over because she was struggling. This can be clearly seen in the video. The cop didn't mean for the desk & her to fall over like that. However, if this cop has been in trouble for this kind of shit before, the police department & the school should come up with another method of removing students from class rooms. If some kid is being a brat, they don't deserve to be hurt.

As I said before--stun guns would be better than dragging them out by force.

- - - Updated - - -

Post the full video.

I don't have it. I'm just saying this one contains a deceptive edit and thus should not be used as evidence.

You have it backwards. Keeping all students safe is the 1st priority. The lack of humanity and understanding exhibited by conservatives continues to demonstrate why they are inferior.

If we are going to let the risk of a student being hurt while being stopped from misbehaving keep us from stopping the misbehavior there's no point to schools in poor areas anyway.

You don't seem to care too much for people...especially if they are black...or perhaps even worse...Palestinian. If anybody relies on you for conflict resolution they may have a very long wait indeed. It is as if you enjoy seeing minority and particularly muslim people getting hurt. You declare they are always wrong, always violent and dishonest...so it is okay to hurt them? Violent, wrong and dishonest....these are all qualities that can be changed over time with the right approach...which you haven't a clue on how to do. You are just johnny one note....punish, punish, punish. Never will you allow any chance of reconciliation. You feel you have the memory of an elephant, but that is only for negative responses. With you there are two possible positions...DON'T BE A PERSON OF COLOR OR A MUSLIM and you can escape the wrath of Loren. Otherwise...go pound sand. That to my mind's eye about sums up your philosophy.

You don't seem to care too much for people...especially if they are black...or perhaps even worse...Palestinian. If anybody relies on you for conflict resolution they may have a very long wait indeed. It is as if you enjoy seeing minority and particularly muslim people getting hurt. You declare they are always wrong, always violent and dishonest...so it is okay to hurt them? Violent, wrong and dishonest....these are all qualities that can be changed over time with the right approach...which you haven't a clue on how to do. You are just johnny one note....punish, punish, punish. Never will you allow any chance of reconciliation. You feel you have the memory of an elephant, but that is only for negative responses. With you there are two possible positions...DON'T BE A PERSON OF COLOR OR A MUSLIM and you can escape the wrath of Loren. Otherwise...go pound sand. That to my mind's eye about sums up your philosophy.

Your response has basically nothing to do with what I said.

A school with no discipline is not an institution of learning, thus why have it at all? We've seen another poster upthread show what actually goes on.

What was her misbehavior that warranted being dumped on her head with a desk on top of her (also putting the student behind her at risk of being hit with that desk) and then thrown across the room?

- - - Updated - - -

No. Expecting obedience is quite reasonable. If there's no consequences from her misbehavior she will just do it again tomorrow..

I'm so glad you don't have children. I honestly hope that you have chosen to never have children.

A school with no discipline is not an institution of learning, thus why have it at all? We've seen another poster upthread show what actually goes on.

That SRO was not disciplined. Out-of-control violence from the SRO is not installing discipline.

Anyone who mistakes extreme violence for "discipline" should never be around children of any age.

Back
Top Bottom