• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Special Counsel investigation of Trump part 2

Meanwhile in the other investigation track.

With Donald Trump set to appear in Miami for one set of federal charges, back in Washington, another grand jury investigating the Jan. 6, 2021, attack on the U.S. Capitol and Trump’s efforts to stay in office is also moving ahead in full force.

Nevada GOP Chair Michael McDonald, a close Trump political ally, as well as Jim DeGraffenreid, the state party’s vice chair, were spotted by NBC News entering the room where the Jan. 6 jury is meeting at the Washington federal courthouse Tuesday.
The appearance comes a week after former Trump White House official Steve Bannon was subpoenaed by a federal grand jury in Washington in connection with special counsel Jack Smith’s investigation into Jan. 6. The Bannon subpoena, for documents and testimony, was sent out late last month, the sources said.

In addition, at least one former Trump White House aide testified on June 1 before the grand jury, hearing evidence about the former president in its ongoing investigation surrounding the election, according to a source familiar with the appearance. The testimony focused on Trump's firing of Christopher Krebs in 2020. At the time, Krebs led the federal government’s election cybersecurity efforts and debunked false claims of election fraud and hacking.

Mike Pence also testified before the grand jury in April.

From a national security lawyer.

Under the U.S. Sentencing Guidelines, the consequences for Trump under this indictment are serious. My quick calculations indicate that you’re talking about 51 to 63 months in the best case and in the worst case, which I’m not sure would apply, 210 to 262 months.
A simple count of the maximum sentences for each charge in the indictment gets a worst case penalty of 400 years. That's 4,800 months.

Obviously it would be highly unusual to hand down the maximum sentence for each and every charge, but that's undeniably the worst case outcome in law.

Under the U.S. Sentencing Guidelines, the consequences for Trump under this indictment are serious. My quick calculations indicate that you’re talking about 51 to 63 months in the best case and in the worst case, which I’m not sure would apply, 210 to 262 months.
A simple count of the maximum sentences for each charge in the indictment gets a worst case penalty of 400 years. That's 4,800 months.

Obviously it would be highly unusual to hand down the maximum sentence for each and every charge, but that's undeniably the worst case outcome in law.

Hell, I'm getting to the point where I can't remember what he's being charged with today.

Is this the insurrection one? The espionage one? The obstruction one? The fraud one?
Tom

I’m going to call that “best case”.

so apparently the United States is in the possession of a demonic power. That explains the Trump indictment.

And apparently the only thing the communist democrats have to offer is an open border, and a defunded police corps.

I was unaware.

Reading the indictment I'm starting to form a theory for Trump's motivations.
  1. Trump was given various classified documents while president, and Trump just added them to a big hoard of stuff for the sake of it. He didn't give a shit that they were controlled documents; as far as he was concerned, once he had them, they were his property.
  2. When he left the Whitehouse he took his whole hoard with him to Mar-a-Lago, because it's all his stuff now, he can take it wherever he wants, no reason to go through it to see if there are any controlled documents that aren't allowed to leave the building.
  3. Trump was only aware of some of the contents of the documents, stuff that he thought might help his political campaign somehow, or which might impress people like, "look at these cool military secrets!"
  4. He picked sensitive military stuff to hide from the subpoena thinking that he could sell it to someone.
  5. Instead of just giving the documents back, Trump wanted to keep his hoard, so he stonewalled, lied and hid the documents.
  6. NARA recorded every controlled document given to POTUS so they knew exactly which ones he hadn't returned. There was never any hope of successfully hiding the documents. But Trump tried anyway because he's a greedy moron.
It's the Stupid Orange Dragon theory.

1. Trump was given various classified documents while president, and Trump just added them to a big hoard of stuff for the sake of it. He didn't give a shit that they were controlled documents; as far as he was concerned, once he had them, they were his property.
  2. When he left the Whitehouse he took his whole hoard with him to Mar-a-Lago, because it's all his stuff now, he can take it wherever he wants, no reason to go through it to see if there are any controlled documents that aren't allowed to leave the building.
  3. Trump was only aware of some of the contents of the documents, stuff that he thought might help his political campaign somehow, or which might impress people like, "look at these cool military secrets!"
  4. He picked sensitive military stuff to hide from the subpoena thinking that he could sell it to someone.
  5. Instead of just giving the documents back, Trump wanted to keep his hoard, so he stonewalled, lied and hid the documents.
  6. NARA recorded every controlled document given to POTUS so they knew exactly which ones he hadn't returned. There was never any hope of successfully hiding the documents. But Trump tried anyway because he's a greedy moron.
That’s pretty much it. He also took a bunch of gifts from heads of state that belong to the government. He just wants stuff so he can feel like he’s still president.

Agreed. He is a malignant man, but you can never underestimate his immaturity and stupidity. During his "presidency', he was once describing some fancy dinner he threw for some foreign nationals, and he went out of his way to add a description of the dessert to the record. I think his phrase was "the biggest slice of chocolate cake you ever saw in your life!" That's Trump. I want the biggest piece!

He just wants stuff so he can feel like he’s still president.
That’s a biggie I’m sure. But I think it’s more about monetizing and manipulation. There is a lot of stuff that someone else might pay for, and some that certain people might pay to keep it out of others’ hands. IOW blackmail, extortion and threats. His usual.

If he gets as little as twenty years, even if he is released on parole after serving half that, he'll be pushing 90 years of age.

I doubt many actuaries would expect someone of his age and health to survive ten years in jail.
The only way to keep Trump safe in prison would be in solitary confinement. Which I think would drive him completely mad within a month, if not sooner since he craves attention.

I also wonder how badly a secret service officer would have to piss off someone to get the assignment of guarding Trump in prison.

I would be in favour of the prosecutor offering Trump the following deal - plead guilty to all charges, and retract the stolen election charge in return for suspended sentences. I doubt Trump would accept such a deal.

If he gets as little as twenty years, even if he is released on parole after serving half that, he'll be pushing 90 years of age.

I doubt many actuaries would expect someone of his age and health to survive ten years in jail.
The only way to keep Trump safe in prison would be in solitary confinement. Which I think would drive him completely mad within a month, if not sooner since he craves attention.

I also wonder how badly a secret service officer would have to piss off someone to get the assignment of guarding Trump in prison.

I would be in favour of the prosecutor offering Trump the following deal - plead guilty to all charges, and retract the stolen election charge in return for suspended sentences. I doubt Trump would accept such a deal.
The Secret Service guys who covered for him on January 6th should get the assignment.

No deal that doesn't disqualify him from being President again. But again, not going to happen. I'd hate to be the judge on this case. This literally has ZERO case law to guide by.

That’s pretty much it. He also took a bunch of gifts from heads of state that belong to the government. He just wants stuff so he can feel like he’s still president.
I think his form of hoarding (and if you watch old interviews of him from his Apprentice days and earlier... he reviles in showing off his "stuff"). Hoarding is a mental illness that arises from various types of traumas... for many, it is a form of separation anxiety and depression. For others, like him, it is from a feeling of worthlessness for which "impressive sounding items" fill the gap of their self-perceived short-comings. Often that type of hoarding is the constant buying of things they never needed or even use... just collecting rooms full of shoes or toys or whatever... but with Trump, its the things that he can steal or be gifted.

There must be a name for his behaviors beyond simply MAD (Moron Affective Disorder) and must be caused by a recognizable brain condition. He is a sociopath, a narcissist, vane, a hoarder, and seems to have the impulsiveness of a child. As the human condition goes he's no doubt in the normal range but so are tons of other undesirable traits.

Fyi4Eu-XwAEWj6g.jpg

The Fox News Channel chyron appeared beneath split-screen video boxes that showed Trump addressing supporters live in New Jersey, and Biden speaking at the White House earlier in the day.

The message read, “Wannabe dictator speaks at the White House after having his political rival arrested.”

Fox said in a statement Wednesday that “the chyron was taken down immediately and was addressed.” The website Mediaite reported that the message was onscreen for 27 seconds. It was also not removed when the telecast was rerun late at night.

Fox did not explain how the message made it onto the screen and how the matter was addressed.

He was talking about going by their guidelines.

Hell, I'm getting to the point where I can't remember what he's being charged with today.

Is this the insurrection one? The espionage one? The obstruction one? The fraud one?

Oh there's so many more than that. Forbes keeps an updated tally.

Back
Top Bottom