• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Statehood for Puerto Rico and DC?

If you don't get two permanent Democrat senators and shift the balance of the Senate more in your favor, the process is broken.

And that's what this is really about for most.

There are currently more disenfranchised Americans in Puerto Rico and DC than there were in the 13 colonies.

If that isn't a good enough indication that something's broken for you, it would better suit you to stop pretending that you're in favor of democracy. It isn't a very credible act.

If you don't get two permanent Democrat senators and shift the balance of the Senate more in your favor, the process is broken.

There are currently more disenfranchised Americans in Puerto Rico and DC than there were in the 13 colonies.

If that isn't a good enough indication that something's broken for you, it would better suit you to stop pretending that you're in favor of democracy. It isn't a very credible act.

Then absorb DC into Maryland like I suggested and they'd be represented and enfranchised. Those who go on about how awful this is have another motive. They are the ones pretending they are in favor of democracy and putting on a not very credible act.

Then absorb DC into Maryland like I suggested and they'd be represented and enfranchised. Those who go on about how awful this is have another motive. They are the ones pretending they are in favor of democracy and putting on a not very credible act.

This makes sense. It would be weird to have a state that's one city.

Also, it's weird that you have two Dakotas. They should be merged into one. That has nothing to do with the current discussion, it's just something that bugs me and I like to shoehorn it into conversations.

Also, it's weird that you have two Dakotas. They should be merged into one. That has nothing to do with the current discussion, it's just something that bugs me and I like to shoehorn it into conversations.

Haha, try and convince Dakotans of that. Better yet, try convincing the Republican Party of that. It was a power grab on their part that created the situation.

My state really ought to be three states, but these things aren't run on logic.

Rhode Island is basically a city- state, but I see no calls to dissolve it.

Well, when they were disenfranchised the 13 colonies voted for independence. But over and over the Puerto Ricans keep voting against independence. ;)

Great, now the Newporters are rioting. Look what you've done.

Ya, but isn't an American riot pretty much just a bunch of people sitting around making snarky tweets? It's not like it's a big deal.

Great, now the Newporters are rioting. Look what you've done.

Ya, but isn't an American riot pretty much just a bunch of people sitting around making snarky tweets? It's not like it's a big deal.

Well it starts that way; by sundown Fox News reports that jackbooted thugs have been mercilessly slaughtering innocent bystanders all day, and half of their viewership believes them.

I think it is relevant to the current discussion. North Dakota has a population of about 750K. They get 2 senators and some reps in congress. Washington, D.C., which is both a city and district (whatever that is) has a population of about 700K. It's nearly the same population as North Dakota. Does 50K really matter? Okay, then fine: Vermont has about 625K in population...

I think it is relevant to the current discussion. North Dakota has a population of about 750K. They get 2 senators and some reps in congress.

That's because the Senate represents the states and not the people. This is elementary school civics.

I think it is relevant to the current discussion. North Dakota has a population of about 750K. They get 2 senators and some reps in congress.

That's because the Senate represents the states and not the people. This is elementary school civics.

Thanks for giving that elementary school civics lesson that everyone is aware of. No part of that means that DC ought not be a state which would have two such senators. If you want to argue for that, you will have to do far more than present a grade school post. That is not to say that I support one way or the other but instead that I appreciate complex, adult discussion, i.e. not yours.

Thanks for giving that elementary school civics lesson that everyone is aware of.

Glad I could catch you up to the rest of us.

Haha, try and convince Dakotans of that. Better yet, try convincing the Republican Party of that. It was a power grab on their part that created the situation.

My state really ought to be three states, but these things aren't run on logic.

Rhode Island is basically a city- state, but I see no calls to dissolve it.

I hereby call for the dissolution of Rhode Island.

Well, second the call.

The movement has momentum.

Yes, we could merge some of the smaller states, along with splitting up some of the larger states.  List of states and territories of the United States by population is a good place to start.

I've written a state-merging program, and entered neighboring states for each state. Here is how the merging goes in New England (populations in millions of people):

NH 1.4 VT 0.6
NH VT 2.0
ME 1.3
ME NH VT 3.3
CT 3.6 RI 1.1
CT RI 4.6
MA 6.9
MA ME NH VT 10.2
CT MA ME NH RI VT 14.9

In the northern Midwest and Rockies:

SD 0.9 WY 0.6
SD WY 1.5