• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Sydney (the chat bot---or is it?)

Toni

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Peace on Earth, goodwill towards all
I don't know if anyone else has seen this article on NYTimes but it's interesting and rather terrifying. Sydney is an AI and here is a transcript of a conversation it had with a human being:

I've always kind of wondered if I would participate in a forum like this if I were the only human, and all the other users were chatbots like Sydney, with their own unique personalities and ideologies giving more or less the same types of answers in threads as the humans here. Would I feel like I'm wasting my life away, or not? I'm actually not really sure if/how it makes a difference.

Way back in elementary school (so '60's?) I read Stephen Vincent Benet's Nightmare Number Three:

Obviously technology has advanced far beyond what anyone imagined in 1935, when this poem was first published. I think I'm less afraid of AI taking its revenge on us than I am of it simply replacing us, or keeping us like livestock.

They need to hurry and get AI out of beta so humans will have a new enemy to rally against like the Nazi's. It seems we only get along and stop thinking about blowing each other up when someone else wants to blow us all up.

There is "AI" and then there is "AI". A chat bot isn't necessarily real AI.

Computer automation is a real problem though and we need to figure out how to employ 100 million people with 1 million jobs in 25 to 50 years.

Nothing from AI is ever going to improve on this obituary:

F3C5B1FE-0AE0-4F0B-B19D-CAB14AAB2670.jpeg

Crazy but I totally understand that obituary.

There is "AI" and then there is "AI". A chat bot isn't necessarily real AI.

Computer automation is a real problem though and we need to figure out how to employ 100 million people with 1 million jobs in 25 to 50 years.
Did you read the conversation? It’s amazing and more than a little scary.

Back
Top Bottom