• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Syed's Mega-Thread

Best guess is that organic molecules became replicative .

what is ORGANIC molecules?

From wikipedia:

An organic compound is any member of a large class of gaseous, liquid, or solid chemical compounds whose molecules contain carbon.

In other words, molecules that make up the basis of life. Most chemicals in our body are organic, DNA, protein, etc. Organic molecules themselves likely formed first, then formed life.

I'm no chemist, but I believe Carbon is an element which is capable of forming very stable bonds with other elements, which would have made life possible.

- - - Updated - - -

Yep. Life is a chemical.
car is made of earth's elements that does not explain who made the car?

The sun made life.

Syed,

You believe your god made life. Those of us who do not believe in your god do not believe this is true. The fact is that nobody knows with absolute certainty how life came to exist. But people who have actually studied these things at a level past what one might expect from an average 10 year old child have inferred from available evidence a number of plausible theories that fit the evidence much better than any ancient creation myth. And that definitely includes the creation myth(s) of the Abrahamic traditions.

You've been presented with this evidence many times and show no willingness to educate yourself about it. Continuing to ask the question and refusing to listen to the answer is childish.

It's only trash if it's taken seriously. It could be seen as comedy, mildly entertaining, an example of strange beliefs, an example of a poor education, poor logic, unwillingness to learn, etc. Being a freethought forum, shouldn't these things be freely expressed?

atheism can not survived without censorship and banning people
No one wants to ban you to save atheism, Syed, we're just bored to death of your neverending tactics.
look at these crying atheist babies, evangelical fundy are better then this crying babies
Yes, exactly. We're so whiny that your attacks are so vicious... Or viscous, maybe.
just because i hurts their feeling i shouldn't be ban
But... If atheism HAS to ban you to survive and we're atheists, then to prove you're RIGHT we should ban you.

It's not what we WANT, it's what you're insisting we NEED to do!

Rene Descartes started a project to explain how the souls worked with a material soul, and after many years of debate among some of the most intelligent philosophers and theologians of 17th century Europe ended up with absolutely no evidence a soul exists or how theoretically it would work with a material body.

To this day, that project is still dead in the water.

It is notable that the Torah makes no mention of an everlasting soul, an afterlife, heaven or hell. Soul was simply an aspect of a living body that left the body when it died.

Why do you think there is such a thing as a soul?

my understanding of soul is a battery of our body or engine which keep us live

BTW, I'm pretty sure the soul is a poetic metaphor and has always been. It's your feeling of a sense of self.

NO, that is self conscious in our brain, soul is battery of our body, without soul = battery we will die

BTW, I'm pretty sure the soul is a poetic metaphor and has always been. It's your feeling of a sense of self.

NO, that is self conscious in our brain, soul is battery of our body, without soul = battery we will die

No, offence but now you sound just plain crazy. Do you at least acknowledge that this can sound nuts to other people?

It is notable that the Torah makes no mention of an everlasting soul, an afterlife, heaven or hell. Soul was simply an aspect of a living body that left the body when it died.

Why do you think there is such a thing as a soul?

They didn't have to because they all "knew". And we know what they believed since we have plenty of surviving documents. They believed the breath and the soul was the same thing. When we were born our breath entered the body. And this was transported around the body in our veins. Yes, they thought that it was air in the veins. Which is astonishingly stupid since it's easy to test. Yet, they didn't. Not until the Renaissance.

They did differentiate between the spirit and the soul. What the Roman's called "spiritus" and "anima". But that's digging too deep into the background of this. Either way Syed has no idea what the soul in the Quran means or where the word comes from. Which is hilarious since he's the Muslim.

He won't be the first. There are so many religious people who haven't done more than the most superficial study of their own religion. And then they come here to school us (way better read) atheists. It's so sad.

If Syed's hypothesis is correct it means mosquitos have souls. Each unicellular life form has a soul. I wonder if the good ones get wings and halos in the afterlife, and how a pair of wings would look on a single celled soul. I wonder if mosquito heaven includes lots of human souls the mosquito soul can annoy for all eternity. Maybe the human souls for mosquito heaven are provided in some sort of exchange program from human hell.

They didn't have to because they all "knew". And we know what they believed since we have plenty of surviving documents. They believed the breath and the soul was the same thing. When we were born our breath entered the body. And this was transported around the body in our veins. Yes, they thought that it was air in the veins. Which is astonishingly stupid since it's easy to test. Yet, they didn't. Not until the Renaissance.
The understanding is that it was the "Breath of God" that gave life and of course not air in the veins.

To refer to this as "The understanding" is a huge overstatement. There are lots of varying religious views on this matter. And like most of these religious views there is no evidence whereby it can be supported. It is simply a matter of faith.

To refer to this as "The understanding" is a huge overstatement. There are lots of varying religious views on this matter. And like most of these religious views there is no evidence whereby it can be supported. It is simply a matter of faith.

What ever view I would have used out of the varying religious views ,I'm sure you would still see it as a "huge overstatement" but yes indeed there are varying views. I do agree with Doc about the "air in the veins" understanding not being sensible in the religious context.

What ever view I would have used out of the varying religious views ,I'm sure you would still see it as a "huge overstatement"
I don't think it's the specific view as much as saying 'my understanding.' In some places that statement implies some degree of research into the latest theories based on the latest observations, attempts to keep up to date with the latest thinking on the subject and the state of the art.

You use it more as 'Of several stories, the one i subscribe to is...'

The understanding is that it was the "Breath of God" that gave life and of course not air in the veins.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ancient_Greek_medicine

They also believed your soul could leave your body, wander about a bit and come back. Through the breath. If you weren't breathing it meant that your soul had left your body. This is how possessions work. They had no problems with two souls inhabiting the same body. This wasn't just Judaism or Christianity. This goes way back and was believed far and wide. I think it goes back to our earliest written sources.

"Who created life on earth?"

I did. I woke up last Thursday and created everything, from the tiniest particle to the biggest galaxy. I made all the people, too,and planted memories in their heads that they think really happened.

Prove I didn't, Syed.

It's only trash if it's taken seriously. It could be seen as comedy, mildly entertaining, an example of strange beliefs, an example of a poor education, poor logic, unwillingness to learn, etc. Being a freethought forum, shouldn't these things be freely expressed?

atheism can not survived without censorship and banning people

look at these crying atheist babies, evangelical fundy are better then this crying babies

just because i hurts their feeling i shouldn't be ban

People should just give an answer to your easy multiple choice question then leave it at that.
And if they don't want to answer that's OK
Why should people get angry to ask for ban? Why not just ignore :confused:

Anyway, my answer to Op is the same as what the bible says.

God said "let the earth bring forth life".
So that's what happened. The earth itself brought forth life.

And to this day, there is no evidence any such thing as a soul exists, or true knowledge of how such a thing works with a material body. It is a mere figment of overactive imaginations most apparently. Astral bodies, out of body experiences, exteriorization with full preceptics (Scientology), that sort of woo, only it's religious woo.

And then we have the ancient Egyptians who were early believers in souls who believed we had three, five or even seven different souls.

"Who created life on earth?"

I did. I woke up last Thursday and created everything, from the tiniest particle to the biggest galaxy. I made all the people, too,and planted memories in their heads that they think really happened.

Prove I didn't, Syed.

you created everything last thursday?

i wont answer because you drunk right now lol

what is ORGANIC molecules?

From wikipedia:

An organic compound is any member of a large class of gaseous, liquid, or solid chemical compounds whose molecules contain carbon.

In other words, molecules that make up the basis of life. Most chemicals in our body are organic, DNA, protein, etc. Organic molecules themselves likely formed first, then formed life.

I'm no chemist, but I believe Carbon is an element which is capable of forming very stable bonds with other elements, which would have made life possible.

- - - Updated - - -

Yep. Life is a chemical.
car is made of earth's elements that does not explain who made the car?

The sun made life.

let say you have organic molecules in a box will they replicate ?

and you said sun made life

would you say the sun is creator of life?

Syed,

You believe your god made life. Those of us who do not believe in your god do not believe this is true. The fact is that nobody knows with absolute certainty how life came to exist. .
i am 100% sure that god created life, you atheist will never know how life came to exist

Back
Top Bottom