• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Syed's Mega-Thread

Who cares if your imaginary friend gives blow jobs?
What did the Mad Hatter put in the Queen of Hearts' tea, according to the text Alice in Wonderland Syed?
Would you waste your life trying to figure THAT out if your parents had told you your immortal "soul" depended on it?

you lost debate
There's no debate, Syed.
There's you and there's everyone who isn't buying your bullshit.
No debate, and not much chance of anyone changing their sides...

What did the Mad Hatter put in the Queen of Hearts' tea, according to the text Alice in Wonderland Syed?
Would you waste your life trying to figure THAT out if your parents had told you your immortal "soul" depended on it?

you lost debate

There is no debate. It's just you repeating the shit that you made up over and over.

Of course. Your belief rests upon a foundation of faith.

"Faith is like a piece of blank paper whereon you may write as well one miracle as another." ~ Charles Blount (1654-1693)

faith mean trust

i trust my doctor, do you?

Not the same. That's why there are two words instead of one.

Trust is built or destroyed through real and actual experience with people (your doctor, your friend, wife, husband or whoever else you interact with) and things (animals, machinery, etc), people proving to be reliable/trustworthy, dependable machinery, etc.

Faith on the other hand is a belief held without direct experience or verifiable evidence, the believer is convinced anyway, that is the distinction between faith and trust.

Religious belief in things that are not verifiable or detectable, gods, angels, demons, etc, are faith based beliefs. You have a conviction of truth, but you cannot verify or prove your belief, hence faith rather than trust.

The ability and performance of god rating quite poorly when compared with the ability and performance of policemen, apparently.
Therefore all policemen are gods? Hmm, I think I've gone wrong somewhere.

Policemen are provably real, actual people with roles to play. God or gods come in all flavours and features, normally being a reflection of a believer's desires and fears.

faith mean trust

i trust my doctor, do you?

Trust is built or destroyed through real and actual experience with people (your doctor, your friend, wife, husband or whoever else you interact with) and things (animals, machinery, etc), people proving to be reliable/trustworthy, dependable machinery, etc.

faith
fāTH/
noun
noun: faith

complete trust or confidence in someone or something.
"this restores one's faith in politicians"
synonyms: trust, belief, confidence, conviction; More
optimism, hopefulness, hope
"he justified his boss's faith in him"
antonyms: mistrust
strong belief in God or in the doctrines of a religion, based on spiritual apprehension rather than proof.
synonyms: religion, church, sect, denomination, (religious) persuasion, (religious) belief, ideology, creed, teaching, doctrine
"she gave her life for her faith"
a system of religious belief.
plural noun: faiths
"the Christian faith"
a strongly held belief or theory.
"the faith that life will expand until it fills the universe"

Origin

faith
fāTH/
noun

strong belief in God or in the doctrines of a religion, based on spiritual apprehension rather than proof.
synonyms: religion, church, sect, denomination, (religious) persuasion, (religious) belief, ideology, creed, teaching, doctrine
"the Christian faith"

Origin

Dictionaries reflect common usage. Common usage can be quite sloppy, using faith and trust interchangeably with no regard for distinctions; the fallacy of equivocation.

The distinctions being;
taken from Merriam Webster, here are defining elements that distinguish 'faith' from 'trust' and 'confidence'

Faith;
b (1) : firm belief in something for which there is no proof
3 : something that is believed especially with strong conviction; especially : a system of religious beliefs <the Protestant faith>

Trust;
1 a : assured reliance on the character, ability, strength, or truth of someone or something b : one in which confidence is placed

Confidence;
1 a : a feeling or consciousness of one's powers or of reliance on one's circumstances <had perfect confidence in her ability to succeed> <met the risk with brash confidence

(assurance carries a stronger implication of certainty and may suggest arrogance or lack of objectivity in assessing one's own powers)

In other words, one builds trust and confidence through direct experience with people and things, but one has faith in matters that have not been tested.

So a belief in the existence of Shiva (which you cannot experience or verify), for example, is not comparable to the trust that you have built through experience with your friends and relatives, associates, etc.

The former is faith, the latter is trust.

Either way the faith vs trust thing equivocates over completely different things.

As an example I could say "I have faith that this bridge will support my weight even though I have not crossed it."

The truth of the matter is that I trust the bridge for any number of reasons all of which could be quantified if one were to be rigorous enough about it.
  • I have watched other people cross the same bridge
  • I have examined the bridge and verified that it appears to be built of materials and structure to withstand my weight
  • I have crossed similar bridges in the past

On and on it could go.

But "faith" in an invisible god who behaves in exactly the same way he would if he did not exist; believing that there is an afterlife which nobody can investigate consisting of a paradise and a torture chamber; buying that how effectively one kisses the ass of this invisible god determines one's eternal destiny in these pie-in-the-sky places; that's totally different. Call it trust if you want to; it's not the same thing as crossing a bridge.

i trust abiogenesis theory is true

i have faith abiogenesis theory is true

pick one

pick one
False dichotomy. Neither one is completely accurate, so I would rather pick:

I trust the scientific process that currently holds abiogenesis to be the best theory proposed so far for the observations made.
However, if more evidence is discovered which changes or totally disproves the theory, I will not hold to the theory despite contrary evidence.

I trust the scientific process that currently holds abiogenesis to be the best theory proposed so far for the observations made.
what observations made?
Jesus fuck a mongoose, Syed, you've ignored any attempt to educate you on the subject for the last twelve years, why would I bother to derail this thread in another futile attempt?
If you want to learn, crack a book.
But I already know you don't want to learn.

what observations made?
Jesus fuck a mongoose, Syed, you've ignored any attempt to educate you on the subject for the last twelve years, why would I bother to derail this thread in another futile attempt?
you made me lol thanks

you lost debate

I won reality. I couldn't care less about what you call a "debate", Syed. Your so-called debate is what most of us would characterize as your mental masturbation.

you made me lol thanks

Yes, we know you are a troll here for your personal entertainment. But there is a shortage of smart theists around these forums, so we are stuck with B-grade apologists like you. Beggars can't be choosers.

Reactions: DBT

faith
fāTH/
noun

"the Christian faith"

Origin

Yes, there are two uses for the word "faith", The first is the secular use and generally requires some evidence to generate the faith. The second is the religious use and typically means beleif without empirical evidence.

Your use of the word "faith" always involves the religious use of the word.

At least that's how things roll in the English language.

pick one

There is no abiogenesis theory. There are only abiogenesis hypotheses. This has been pointed out to you several times in the past.

You just don't remember things very well, do you?

As to picking one, there are other choices, so I won't play into your feeble attempt to create a false dichotomy. (You do remember what a false dichotomy is, don't you?)

There are other choices, such as:

I trust that scientists involved with abiogenesis research will continue to work on the various abiogenesis hypotheses using the scientific method. OR

I do not know whether a theory of abiogenesis will ever be formulated.

pick one

There is no abiogenesis theory. There are only abiogenesis hypotheses. This has been pointed out to you several times in the past.

You just don't remember things very well, do you?

As to picking one, there are other choices, so I won't play into your feeble attempt to create a false dichotomy. (You do remember what a false dichotomy is, don't you?)

There are other choices, such as:

I trust that scientists involved with abiogenesis research will continue to work on the various abiogenesis hypotheses using the scientific method. OR

I do not know whether a theory of abiogenesis will ever be formulated.

i know abiogenesis theory come from evolutionist's scientist ass lol

Back
Top Bottom