• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Syria, Turks, and Kurds

Then take the leaders and put them at a table with each other, don't put our troops in between them.

You realize that right now, Turkey is pummeling the Kurds, don't you? If not, maybe turn on your TV, or consult a non-right-wing news source. We very much do need to put our troops between them while we bring them to the table.

What happened to, "Let countries do whatever they want! Bring our military home!"

This is like a bizarro world. The right is advocating for the troops to come home and the left is screaming for them to stay.

Strange times we live in, indeed.

Then take the leaders and put them at a table with each other, don't put our troops in between them.

That is another false dichotomy. Staying with the Kurds decreases bloodshed of both allies. In the meantime, you can also "take the leaders and put them at a table with each other." The options are not mutually exclusive and lead to better peace prospects since there is leverage for the Turks.

Do you want an ethnostate for the Kurds? Because that's racist...

Left wants troops to stay AND they want an ethnostate for the Kurds.

I have to pinch myself to make sure I' not dreaming.

You don't give a shit what the Left wants, anyway. Just concentrate on the fact that there are people on the RIGHT that want troops to stay. Argue with their position, if you can.

You realize that right now, Turkey is pummeling the Kurds, don't you? If not, maybe turn on your TV, or consult a non-right-wing news source. We very much do need to put our troops between them while we bring them to the table.

What happened to, "Let countries do whatever they want! Bring our military home!"

A couple of World Wars.

This is like a bizarro world. The right is advocating for the troops to come home and the left is screaming for them to stay.

This issue is pretty bi-partisan, except for the Trumpettes. Even Lindsay Graham, who otherwise can't find his ethical center when it comes to Trump, thought this was nuts.

When keeping the troops where they are will result in less bloodshed, or no bloodshed as the case may be, and pulling them out will result in bloodshed, I think you will find many of us on "the left" advocating for the troops to stay put.

A couple of World Wars.

This issue is pretty bi-partisan, except for the Trumpettes. Even Lindsay Graham, who otherwise can't find his ethical center when it comes to Trump, thought this was nuts.

When keeping the troops where they are will result in less bloodshed, or no bloodshed as the case may be, and pulling them out will result in bloodshed, I think you will find many of us on "the left" advocating for the troops to stay put.

That's fine but what happened to the cry of, "if you want troops in other countries, you better be the first to go fight with them or else you're a chickenhawk!"

Do you think leftists are running to the Kurds today to help? Or are they all chickenhawks who run their mouths but now can't put their money where their mouth is?

So, ethnostate is a bugbear now?
Is that like the Blacks-Only colleges you couldn't find?

The whole Middle East is basically an ethnostate. Jordan is 99% Muslim. How come leftists don't say how racist this is? They only seem to say ethnostates are racist when they talk about Israel or white ethnostates. Why do you suppose this is, Keith?

Seems all the threads die after I ask, "Why are Amish communities and Native American reservations allowed to exist in America if they are small-scale ethnostates?" It's OK for the Amish and Native Americans to want their own spaces but the very second white people call for their own space, we get called racist and bigoted. Well, then those Amish and Native Americans are big time bigots!

The whole Middle East is basically an ethnostate. Jordan is 99% Muslim. How come leftists don't say how racist this is? They only seem to say ethnostates are racist when they talk about Israel or whitee ethnostates. Why do you suppose this is, Keith?

Um, no, the Middle East is well known for it's fractured, Balkanized ethnic relations.

A couple of World Wars.

That's fine but what happened to the cry of, "if you want troops in other countries, you better be the first to go fight with them or else you're a chickenhawk!"

As far as I know, that is the first time that cry has been uttered on this board, so I'm pretty sure what happened is that it was just made up from whole cloth. On the other hand, I served in the military in the '80s, and am now in my '50s, when did you serve?

Do you think leftists are running to the Kurds today to help? Or are they all chickenhawks who run their mouths but now can't put their money where their mouth is?

I knew you wouldn't get it the first time, I even prefaced that post with it, but what the hell, here goes again. There would be no fighting between Turkey and the Kurds if we had not pulled our troops out, so my position is one where no one should have to be running to the Kurds today to help out. But if anyone should, it would be the assholes who support Don The Con and his reckless disregard for our allies.

The whole Middle East is basically an ethnostate. Jordan is 99% Muslim. How come leftists don't say how racist this is? They only seem to say ethnostates are racist when they talk about Israel or whitee ethnostates. Why do you suppose this is, Keith?

Um, no, the Middle East is well known for it's fractured, Balkanized ethnic relations.

Saudi Arabia - 90% Arab
Jordan 99% Arab
Iraq - 85% Arab

Ethnostates! Evil! Bigots!

As far as I know, that is the first time that cry has been uttered on this board,
so I'm pretty sure what happened is that it was just made up from whole cloth. On the other hand, I served in the military in the '80s, and am now in my '50s, when did you serve?

I knew you wouldn't get it the first time, I even prefaced that post with it, but what the hell, here goes again. There would be no fighting between Turkey and the Kurds if we had not pulled our troops out, so my position is one where no one should have to be running to the Kurds today to help out. But if anyone should, it would be the assholes who support Don The Con and his reckless disregard for our allies.

You're being very obtuse if you don't know that whenever we go to war leftists always say, "You gonna go first, chickenhawk?"
Keith makes fun of Trump for saying he had bone spurs!

I suppose if Trump had used the Muhammad Ali excuse to not fight, then nobody would make fun of Trump?

That is another false dichotomy. Staying with the Kurds decreases bloodshed of both allies. In the meantime, you can also "take the leaders and put them at a table with each other." The options are not mutually exclusive and lead to better peace prospects since there is leverage for the Turks.

Do you want an ethnostate for the Kurds? Because that's racist...

I have to pinch myself to make sure I' not dreaming.

MURDERING THE KURDS < ALLOWING KURDISTAN < GREATER NON-ETHNOSTATE DEMOCRACY

I suspect the actual cry, if it exists, was 'if you want TO INVADE other countries...'

Trump is a chickenhawk because he keeps donning warpaint but never, ever, ever put himself in that sort of danger.
Not quite the same for a garrison force NOT BEING SHOT AT.
There wouldn't be a shooting war in Syria if Trump hadn't pulled the troops out of Turkey's way.

No, i don't.

I'm okay with draft dodgers. My dad dodged the draft.
He did it by joining the military, but still considers it draft dodging because he took actions to avoid being a Marine in 'Nam.
...and he does NOT petition for us invading countries and stealing their oil.

I make fun of Bonespurs for dodging the draft BUT trying to get other young men to bleed for his reputation as a great military leader.

I suppose if Trump had used the Muhammad Ali excuse to not fight, then nobody would make fun of Trump?
If Trump had been willing to go to prison to avoid that war, but was threatening to rain fire down upon Turkey or Venezuela or North Korea, getting other people hurt in the process, then i would be pretty quick to make fun of his hypocrisy.

Saudi Arabia - 90% Arab
Jordan 99% Arab
Iraq - 85% Arab

I honestly can never tell if you are serious. "Arab" in this is more of a linguistic rather than an ethnic category (a blurry line, perhaps). Ethnic Arabs are mostly confined to the Arabian Peninsula. Their culture is very different to the levantine Jordanians, and to the Iraqi's.

This is about as silly as saying that North America is practically an ethnostate because the USA and Canada speak mostly English.

Jordan and Iraq are definitely not ethnostates, they are famously fractious along ethnic lines.

Saudi Arabia could probably in fairness be called an ethnostate.

Japan is definitely an ethnostate, with strong, ethnic insularity and homogeneity.

In any case, I bet there are plenty of bigots in all of these places. Not sure what point you are trying to make.

No, i don't.

I'm okay with draft dodgers. My dad dodged the draft.
He did it by joining the military, but still considers it draft dodging because he took actions to avoid being a Marine in 'Nam.
...and he does NOT petition for us invading countries and stealing their oil.

I make fun of Bonespurs for dodging the draft BUT trying to get other young men to bleed for his reputation as a great military leader.

If Trump had been willing to go to prison to avoid that war, but was threatening to rain fire down upon Turkey or Venezuela or North Korea, getting other people hurt in the process, then i would be pretty quick to make fun of his hypocrisy.

Notice the bold, Keith. I'm not saying it is a right thing to do, but without the U.S. doing that, you leftists would be the first ones complaining there's a gas shortage, it costs so much, and why we can't just get more gas.

The average lifestyle in the U.S. would have to be adjusted and people would be LIVID!

In any case, I bet there are plenty of bigots in all of these places. Not sure what point you are trying to make.
He whines that the rest of the world is composed of ethnostates, but when the White Man wants to change America to one, the Left won't let them.

Saudi Arabia - 90% Arab
Jordan 99% Arab
Iraq - 85% Arab

I honestly can never tell if you are serious. "Arab" in this is more of a linguistic rather than an ethnic category (a blurry line, perhaps). Ethnic Arabs are mostly confined to the Arabian Peninsula. Their culture is very different to the levantine Jordanians, and to the Iraqi's.

This is about as silly as saying that North America is practically an ethnostate because the USA and Canada speak mostly English.

Jordan and Iraq are definitely not ethnostates, they are famously fractious along ethnic lines.

Saudi Arabia could probably in fairness be called an ethnostate.

Japan is definitely an ethnostate, with strong, ethnic insularity and homogeneity.

The simple point is if leftists don't care one iota about other ethnostates, why do they get mad when white people call for an ethnostate?

I have only seen leftists condemn Israel as an ethnostate and white ethnostates.

Never heard them say a peep about Japan or the Saudi's.

He whines that the rest of the world is composed of ethnostates, but when the White Man wants to change America to one, the Left won't let them.

Hypocrisy at its finest, Keith. How can you not see that? The only way it works is if leftists talk about the Islamic ethnostates with the same hatred and vitriol as they do white ethnostates and Israel.

Notice you guys also ignored Amish and Native Americans. Why are those OK?

Back
Top Bottom