• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Taylor Swift Named Time Magazine's Person Of The Year

ZiprHead

Loony Running The Asylum
Staff member
Basic Beliefs
Don't be a dick.

GAqmNrWWIAANHG1

Beautiful cat.

I don't understand the mindless fanaticism of her fan base.
I don't care for the fey way she combs those tawny bangs in front.
I change channels when I hear her voice.
But I felt that way about Person of the Year for 2016, too.

On the other hand, I guess I do owe it myself to at least listen to one of her albums before pre-judging her. Anyone got any recommendations?

Youtube. Try random selections. It is modern day pop. If that ain't to your taste, you will be disappointed. Swift has her audience, but if you ain't one of them, you won't care much. But then I don't understand the metalhead crowd either.

I don't understand the mindless fanaticism of her fan base.
I don't care for the fey way she combs those tawny bangs in front.
I change channels when I hear her voice.
But I felt that way about Person of the Year for 2016, too.

As far as I know she writes a lot of her own material, and the songwriting is very good if you're a 20 - 40 year old female.

I hear plenty o' Swifty where I swim. I classify it as mild pop. Not nearly as catchy as, say, the best of Marshall Crenshaw. And "Person of the Year" status? Meh. Who's next, Gaga?

I imagine there's a solid financial incentive behind the Time thing, but she  is one of the more interesting and influential people as of late.

I don't know her catalogue but some of what I've heard is pretty good for modern standards. And her last tour grossed over a billion so there must be something redeeming in her music.

As far as I know she writes a lot of her own material, and the songwriting is very good if you're a 20 - 40 year old female.

She is a rare talent. I'm just really sour on the whole concept of celebrity.
Me too.

If someone is a very popular singer, they're probably a good person to ask for tips about how to become a popular singer; How to market your music; How to sing; How to protect your voice from environmental hazards.

They might be a good person to ask about how the record industry operates; How a recording studio works; and How to cope with the behaviour of fans.

The thing that astonishes me is that so many people seem to think "That person is a very popular singer; We should ask their opinion on politics, religion, war, virology and immunology, climate change, and the economy!"

There are actual immunologists you could interview. Why the fuck are you asking a popular singer's opinion on how (or even whether) a mass vaccination campaign should be managed?

Elvis Presley famously got huge numbers of people to go get vaccinated against Polio. That's great. But it's also evidence of a massive cognitive flaw in humanity - How the hell did we survive beyond the neolithic era, with brains that prefer the advice of popular people, over that of people who actually know about the things they are giving advice about?

It kinda works, when the experts are the ones feeding the information to the celebrities (as was the case for Elvis), or if the celebrity in question happens (coincidentally) to be well informed; But getting the right result for the wrong reasons doesn't protect against getting the wrong results next time around - and we see plenty of examples of famous people successfully promoting ideas that are positively harmful.

She is a rare talent. I'm just really sour on the whole concept of celebrity.
Me too.

If someone is a very popular singer, they're probably a good person to ask for tips about how to become a popular singer; How to market your music; How to sing; How to protect your voice from environmental hazards.

They might be a good person to ask about how the record industry operates; How a recording studio works; and How to cope with the behaviour of fans.

The thing that astonishes me is that so many people seem to think "That person is a very popular singer; We should ask their opinion on politics, religion, war, virology and immunology, climate change, and the economy!"

There are actual immunologists you could interview. Why the fuck are you asking a popular singer's opinion on how (or even whether) a mass vaccination campaign should be managed?

Elvis Presley famously got huge numbers of people to go get vaccinated against Polio. That's great. But it's also evidence of a massive cognitive flaw in humanity - How the hell did we survive beyond the neolithic era, with brains that prefer the advice of popular people, over that of people who actually know about the things they are giving advice about?

It kinda works, when the experts are the ones feeding the information to the celebrities (as was the case for Elvis), or if the celebrity in question happens (coincidentally) to be well informed; But getting the right result for the wrong reasons doesn't protect against getting the wrong results next time around - and we see plenty of examples of famous people successfully promoting ideas that are positively harmful.
I think you are mistaking Taylor Swift with Dolly Parton. Swift told a whole bunch of young people to get off their arse and register to vote and that's it. And considering US presidential elections are pretty much popularity contests (or in the case of Republicans pre book tour promotions), pop stars are in an adjacent industry.

Swift told a whole bunch of young people to get off their arse and register to vote and that's it.
^ This, pretty much. And who cares? It's just funny to put her in the realm with Churchill and Chiang Kai-shek.
"Shake it off, shake it off" is the one I call Sugar Pops, because it sounds like it oughta be a cereal jingle. I guess the "She wears short skirts, I wear T shirts" is kind of clever. But the last cd I bought was the Joni Mitchell Archives Vol. 3, and that's where the popular song came to its ideal form.

Back
Top Bottom