• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

TERROR TERROR: come here come all

Only someone who thinks Muslims are more likely to set off bombs in crowds than an average person would expect me to make money on the bet.

A muslim can't be an "average person"?

I think (no research) that if you calculate the percentage of the 1.8 billion muslims who set off bombs, and compare it to the number of "average people" (presumably you mean white American people) who set off bombs, you might be surprised.

Only someone who thinks Muslims are more likely to set off bombs in crowds than an average person would expect me to make money on the bet.

I think (no research) that if you calculate the percentage of the 1.8 billion muslims who set off bombs, and compare it to the number of "average people" (presumably you mean white American people) who set off bombs, you might be surprised.

Muslims are part of the average. They are 1-of-40 people. That's why the payment is 40-1. So I would only make money if they are more likely than average to put a bomb in a crowd.

Sorry about there being math involved.

Note also that OK City was 22 years ago. Large scale non-Muslim terrorism on US soil is a very rare occurrence indeed..

Note also that 9-11 was 16 years ago. Large scale Muslim terrorism on US soil is a very rare occurrence indeed...

Note also that OK City was 22 years ago. Large scale non-Muslim terrorism on US soil is a very rare occurrence indeed..

Note also that 9-11 was 16 years ago. Large scale Muslim terrorism on US soil is a very rare occurrence indeed...

9-11 wasn't the last large scale islamic act of terrorism in the USA though.

What qualifies as "large scale"? The destruction of buildings?

Inquiring minds want to know!
According to these figures, 9/11 accounts for about 92% percent of ALL US deaths from terrorism since 1995. So it's hard to imagine that TSwizzle has any examples of similar scale events that have occurred since then....

Please notice the key 1970-2015. This would include the Bangladesh genocide and war for independence. Are mass shootings considered large-scale? If not, the only large scale attack was 9-11. So yes large scale attacks on US Soil are very rare.

And yet somehow only 20% of terrorist attacks are perpetrated by Muslims. Yeah, right.
And they make up 24.1% of the global population.

1) Genocides aren't necessarily terrorism.

2) Who committed that genocide anyway?

I am certain that that is not a fair structuring of the betting game given that you've not taken into consideration other factors. We already know that in our modern time terrorism is used as a catch-all phrase for radical Islamic terrorism and has tended to exclude other types of mass shooting and murders committed, this despite the fact that FBI has long divided terrorism into two categories: domestic and international. Domestic terrorism is defined as “the unlawful use, or threatened use, of violence by a group or individual based and operating entirely within the United States (or its territories) without foreign direction committed against persons or property to intimidate or coerce a government, the civilian population, or any segment thereof, in furtherance of political or social objectives.” International terrorism is defined as “violent acts or acts dangerous to human life that are a violation of the criminal laws of the United States or any state, or that would be a criminal violation if committed within the jurisdiction of the United States or any state. Acts are intended to intimidate or coerce a civilian population, influence the policy of a government, or affect the conduct of a government. These acts transcend national boundaries in terms of the means by which they are accomplished, the persons they appear intended to intimidate, or the locale in which perpetrators operate.” So, for example, despite this model and definition of terrorism, 2012 Aurora mass shooting is not classified as domestic terrorism nor is 2016 Charleston Church massacre. However, ask the people in the theater or church how they felt when bullets started flying; the survivors will tell you they did feel terrorized. Please understand that the definition of terrorism has been politicized; that is why in the media words like "mass murderer" are used and not terrorism even when the violent or threatened act of violence fits the FBI's textbook definition of domestic terrorism under the broader bracket and umbrella of "terrorism."

Emphasis added to show why the difference. It's the objective that counts, not the number of dead. When a nutter does a mass killing it's not terrorism.

You can compare a group to a subset of the group without saying that the subset is not part of the larger.

True, the reaction to the Paris hammer attack was nice. I like that someone can tell that since the attacker got an award ten years ago he is obviously not mentally ill. Obviously he was quite the mastermind terrorist bringing a hammer and kitchen utensils to a gunfight.

A weapon is a weapon. In prisons a simple Bic Biro can be sharpened to produce a spike. A hammer is a formidable weapon though at a distance does not match a drawn pistol.

Rare or not it still is a security problem, be it small at the moment. In the UK as predicted such attacks are on the increase. Our border guards should be refusing reentry to Britons who go to Syria for training with ISIS.

I wonder if there are terror statistics for just Western democracies. It seems obvious that hotspots of conflict around the world will have terrorism, and mostly against each other. I don't see many FARC terrorists making attacks in the UK or France, for example. Sectarian violence between Muslims most definitely spills over, and once there are enough of them in foreign countries, we start to see the likes of what we have been seeing against Western democracies.

I wonder if there are terror statistics for just Western democracies. It seems obvious that hotspots of conflict around the world will have terrorism, and mostly against each other. I don't see many FARC terrorists making attacks in the UK or France, for example. Sectarian violence between Muslims most definitely spills over, and once there are enough of them in foreign countries, we start to see the likes of what we have been seeing against Western democracies.
I must not be paying much attention, because I have not seen much (if any) sectarian violence between Muslims in Western democracies. Can you point to some?

Sectarian violence between Muslims most definitely spills over, and once there are enough of them in foreign countries, we start to see the likes of what we have been seeing against Western democracies.
Solution: stop importing Muslims.

Never gonna happen. Make your peace with that and formulate your own contingency.

What qualifies as "large scale"? The destruction of buildings?

If a Muslim sneezes and the person standing next to them catches a cold, it is a large scale islamic act of terrorism.

The murders and attempted murder of Rick Best, Taliesin Myrddin Namkai-Meche, and Micah David-Cole Fletcher by a knife-wielding white supremacist in Portland, Oregon - that was just a lone nutter no matter what his ideology and/or motivations were.

The murders and attempted murder of Rick Best, Taliesin Myrddin Namkai-Meche, and Micah David-Cole Fletcher by a knife-wielding white supremacist in Portland, Oregon - that was just a lone nutter no matter what his ideology and/or motivations were.
Why doesn't the white community do anything about this?

Why doesn't the white community do anything about this?
It does. Besides moaning about the BLM movement, it has promoted the "All Lives Matter" movement.

Please notice the key 1970-2015. This would include the Bangladesh genocide and war for independence. Are mass shootings considered large-scale? If not, the only large scale attack was 9-11. So yes large scale attacks on US Soil are very rare.

And they make up 24.1% of the global population.

They make up about 2-3% of the population in Western Europe and North America.

So presumably the next time someone sets off a bomb at a crowded concert or sporting event random chance would suggest it's got a 1-in-40 or so chance to be a muslim.

Do you care to make a bet on those odds?

For all bomb attacks on crowds in the US, Canada and Western Europe:

- If the bomber is not a Muslim I give you $100.
- If the bomber is a Muslim you give me $4000.

Seems fair. Even in your favor since the point of this thread is Muslims are even less likely than average to be terrorists.

Your location says 'texas' but I didn't know you were also a Sharpshooter.

aa

Back
Top Bottom