• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Texas Secessionists Push for Referendum on State Becoming Independent

, Floridians would not likely move to TX so we’d be stuck with that mess,
Personally, I don't want or care about all Floridians moving to Texas. Just the hardcore TeaPartiers.

If the hardcore TeaPartiers, from any and everywhere, took themselves out of the U.S. voting pool by moving to Texas as it secedes, I'd be good with that.

It doesn't have to be all of them. Just enough to prevent them from dominating Washington DC.
Tom
Oh, I think the current batch of QOPers make TeaPartiers seem almost liberal. BAT SHIT Crazy

I don’t think even a peaceful agreement to separate the states would be legal today. The Articles of Confederation offered a mechanism for such a process, but the Constitution does not. It would appear that any type of separation would require a Constitutional amendment.

Currently there are 15 active military bases in TX with an economic impact of at least $100 Billion. Can’t see Texas as being willing to give that up. And if they had to: How long do you reckon before Mexico reclaimed that territory??
The TexMex wars would be inevitable. Which cartel would prevail?

Currently there are 15 active military bases in TX with an economic impact of at least $100 Billion. Can’t see Texas as being willing to give that up. And if they had to: How long do you reckon before Mexico reclaimed that territory??
The TexMex wars would be inevitable. Which cartel would prevail?

Chipotle?

I don’t think even a peaceful agreement to separate the states would be legal today.
The insurrection of 1776 wasn't legal either.

Tom

Of course if you secede and win by force of arms then the secession becomes de facto even if it is not de jure. But 1776 is not analogous to 1861. Unlike the south in 1861, the proto-U.S. was not part of Britain. It was a colony of Britain.

I don’t think even a peaceful agreement to separate the states would be legal today.
The insurrection of 1776 wasn't legal either.

Tom

Of course if you secede and win by force of arms then the secession becomes de facto even if it is not de jure. But 1776 is not analogous to 1861. Unlike the south in 1861, the proto-U.S. was not part of Britain. It was a colony of Britain.
It's the force of arms part that's important.

Might Makes Right.

History is written by Victors.

Putin is expecting that in Ukraine. We'll see whether he's rescuing Ukrainians from Nazis or trying to subjugate another people for the Glory of Russia.
History hasn't been written yet.

Tom

The short answer is ‘No.’ You won’t lose your Social Security with a properly-handled renunciation
The brexiters also explained to their supporters that they would be fine, because

of course everything would work out.

Yeah, right.

I see no reason for Washington DC to keep sending checks to Texans after Texit. Nor any way for Texas to make those checks appear.

The Brexiters also remained convinced that the EU would have to do things that they were accustomed to happening.

Guess what?
Tom
You act like you want to punish them by taking away their SS. Actually you should encourage them to leave and let them keep there SS to make the move to the new country of Texas easier for them.

You act like you want to punish them by taking away their SS. Actually you should encourage them to leave and let them keep there SS to make the move to the new country of Texas easier for them.

I didn't say any of that.

It's some Texan politicians encouraging them to leave.

I see no reason for the American taxpayers to support non-Americans in foreign countries, like Texas.

How about this compromise? Texans get their SS for a year after Texas pays off Texas's share of the U.S. Federal debt.
What about that?
Tom

My understanding is that for SS filings after 1996, in order to receive SS benefits, one must either be a US citizen or a lawful and present noncitizen. If Texas seceded, anyone who filed for SS benefits and who stayed in Texas, they’d be sol without a change in the law.

Partisan rancor in Oregon spills over into Idaho effort to absorb its rural neighbors

Matt McCaw cringes if you say the word “secessionist” around him.

A native of eastern Oregon, McCaw is a mild-mannered, former high school math teacher who fosters children to help his community.

“We don’t think of ourselves as a secessionist movement. We see ourselves as a self-determination movement,” McCaw said of the Greater Idaho Movement, which seeks to move the Idaho state line west to include more than half of Oregon.

What would have previously been brushed off as a fringe proposition to add the predominantly Republican region of eastern Oregon into conservative Idaho has lunged forward in the Idaho state legislature. There have been plenty of other attempts across the country to break off pieces of states to try to join more politically analogous ones, but this one has advanced the furthest. The measure passed the state House last month and advanced to the state Senate, where it sits in committee, with the session expected to wrap by the end of March.
Just fucking move, you asshole.

Back
Top Bottom