• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

The Case for Biden

I won't be voting for Biden in the primary. The case against Biden for me is I don't think it is a great idea to replace our current president, who is suffering from a declining mental state, with a candidate who is suffering from a declining mental state. At this point, I would hope that just about anyone could beat the thoroughly corrupt and morally bankrupt Trump, so I am going to vote for the candidate who best represents my values. If I am wrong about that and Trump gets re-elected just because we didn't elect the "perfect" candidate (who is obviously losing his mind as well), fuck it, we are done, no need to keep on pretending that our country is a functioning democracy.

You don't see the difference between a wild psychopathic serial killer and a gentle old man that is slow at recalling, as any different from one another? Both have an 'illness'.... mental issues.. on both sides, is it?

Of course I see the difference, Trump is and has always been unqualified and unsuited for the office. Biden is certainly qualified for the office, and I would have considered voting for him in the past. He is obviously in a state of mental decline now, so I will not vote for him in the primary. I will vote for him if he wins the primary, however, and I would just have to hope at that point that he does not get much worse while in office.

If I am wrong about that and Trump gets re-elected just because we didn't elect the "perfect" candidate (who is obviously losing his mind as well), fuck it, we are done, no need to keep on pretending that our country is a functioning democracy.

Agreed. Now all I have to do is figure out which of the presumably viable candidates is most likely to not only represent, but actualize my values. It bothers me that most of the candidates who most closely represent the ideals I formed as a 17 year old are over 70.

I am leaning towards Amy Klobuchar at the moment, but like Warren as well. I know that is moderate vs far left, but I pretty much fall right between them on the spectrum myself.

I don’t think that’s what he said at all. He was talking about why he wasn’t going to vote for Biden in the primary, and hoping that Biden not winning the primary (due to votes like his) was not something that would keep Biden supporters home, resulting in a Trump win.

All of which is fairly reasonable, isn’t it?

Well, I think what I said was fair... I bolded the responsive bit and copied here:
KeepTalking said:
I don't think it is a great idea to replace our current president, who is suffering from a declining mental state, with a candidate who is suffering from a declining mental state.

Candidate A is "suffering from a declining mental state
Candidate B is "suffering from a declining mental state

Therefore

Candidate A = Candidate B

They are the same, with respect to their "mental state".

I hope my subsequent comments have cleared things up for you.

I would hope that just about anyone could beat the thoroughly corrupt and morally bankrupt Trump, so I am going to vote for the candidate who best represents my values.

Which automatically translates into a vote that will benefit Trump and no one else.

It is my belief that whoever goes up against Trump should beat him, so that does not translate into a vote for Trump. The fact that I will be voting for whoever Trump's opponent is in the general election does not need to be translated, as it will be a direct vote against Trump.

no need to keep on pretending that our country is a functioning democracy.

It never has been. It is a representative republic.. Don't let your ignorance fuck everyone further by casting a vote that only benefits Trump. How does that help the situation?

Wow, straight to the insults, just because I disagree with you. I will be voting for the democratic candidate in the general, so my vote will not benefit Trump. I also live in Illinois, so my vote will not even matter in the long run, there is no was Trump carries Illinois. I will mostly be there for the down ballot races anyway.

Republicans get to decide what the acceptable range of policy goals for Democrats are. Republicans get to vote for who represents their values, convince other people to support who they like, and rally behind the eventual nominee. Democrats have one option: move continually and unceasingly to the right in passive response. This is what the founding fathers wanted when they set up a rEpReSeNtAtiVe RePuBLiC

I won't be voting for Biden in the primary. The case against Biden for me is I don't think it is a great idea to replace our current president, who is suffering from a declining mental state, with a candidate who is suffering from a declining mental state. At this point, I would hope that just about anyone could beat the thoroughly corrupt and morally bankrupt Trump, so I am going to vote for the candidate who best represents my values. If I am wrong about that and Trump gets re-elected just because we didn't elect the "perfect" candidate (who is obviously losing his mind as well), fuck it, we are done, no need to keep on pretending that our country is a functioning democracy.

You don't see the difference between a wild psychopathic serial killer and a gentle old man that is slow at recalling, as any different from one another? Both have an 'illness'.... mental issues.. on both sides, is it?

I like Biden. But maybe he should get on some of the drugs that Trump is taking.

Republicans get to decide what the acceptable range of policy goals for Democrats are. Republicans get to vote for who represents their values, convince other people to support who they like, and rally behind the eventual nominee. Democrats have one option: move continually and unceasingly to the right in passive response. This is what the founding fathers wanted when they set up a rEpReSeNtAtiVe RePuBLiC

Glad that you are understanding reality! Democrats must have a larger tent and accommodate more opinions than the republicans. It's just a simple fact that the right has more built in advantages: the EC, higher turnout, unifying positions, and etc. The unifying positions are religion and guns. The right will brave snow storms and get their ID cards ready to go months before; whatever it takes, to vote for people who will uphold their cultural votes. Dems really don't have unifying cultural memes that motivate them to vote. Finally, republicans really want to control the supreme court and thus have a longer term strategy than dems.

Yea, it's just a simple fact that dems need the left and the middle to vote for them. Republicans can win with just their base.

Glad that you are understanding reality! Democrats must have a larger tent and accommodate more opinions than the republicans. It's just a simple fact that the right has more built in advantages: the EC, higher turnout, unifying positions, and etc. The unifying positions are religion and guns. The right will brave snow storms and get their ID cards ready to go months before; whatever it takes, to vote for people who will uphold their cultural votes. Dems really don't have unifying cultural memes that motivate them to vote. Finally, republicans really want to control the supreme court and thus have a longer term strategy than dems.

Yea, it's just a simple fact that dems need the left and the middle to vote for them. Republicans can win with just their base.

Normal, healthy country whose totally functional system of government should be preserved and never challenged

I'm expecting a lot of fuckery in the primaries by republicans. With no serious opposing candidates on the republican ticket, they will be free to cross over and vote in the democratic primary.

I'm expecting a lot of fuckery in the primaries by republicans. With no serious opposing candidates on the republican ticket, they will be free to cross over and vote in the democratic primary.

Good thing it doesn't really matter who the Dems nominate, or who the Rethuggles might nominate on their behalf. It's not going to be Donald Trump.

Honest question for this thread: if Mitt Romney were running in the Democratic primary, and was polling just like Biden, would he be your choice for nominee? How about Jeb Bush? How about W, if he hadn't already served two terms? Is there any quality that strikes you as important for a commander-in-chief other than "can beat Trump as a Democrat"?

Honest question for this thread: if Mitt Romney were running in the Democratic primary, and was polling just like Biden, would he be your choice for nominee? How about Jeb Bush? How about W, if he hadn't already served two terms? Is there any quality that strikes you as important for a commander-in-chief other than "can beat Trump as a Democrat"?

One for you, PH, as long as we are talking about pure hypotheticals:
If Mitt Romney (or Jeb Bush etc) was nominated in the Democratic primary to run against Trump, would you vote for him?

The thing that you need to understand that voting for a President in the US is more than simply voting for the person. You are also voting on who should assume the cabinet, who should be in charge of all the federal programs, the 5,000 federal workers in DC, the supreme court, the foreign diplomats, and etc. Yea, HRC had a lot of flaws. But would I rather have her candidate for secretary of the interior rather than Ryan Zinke who believes that the world is 6,000 years old and wants to give federal land to be stripped mined??

I see two quotes of my question and zero answers to it, stop being cowards and say you would vote for George W. Bush in a fucking Democratic primary if he was ahead in the polls

I see two quotes of my question and zero answers to it, stop being cowards and say you would vote for George W. Bush in a fucking Democratic primary if he was ahead in the polls

I would vote for the person that I like the most in a democratic primary. But if Bush won the democratic primary, I would vote for him against Trump. It's not even a close call.

I would vote for the person that I like the most in a democratic primary. But if Bush won the democratic primary, I would vote for him against Trump. It's not even a close call.

Not my question, read and try again

I wouldn't vote for Bush in the primary. I like Biden, Buttiegig (however the hell you spell his name), Booker, Harris, Klobucher far more. Satisfied?

I wouldn't vote for Bush in the primary. I like Biden, Buttiegig (however the hell you spell his name), Booker, Harris, Klobucher far more. Satisfied?

Yes. It's consistent with what you said about voting for who you like rather than who you think will win, which goes against the OP. I'm curious about how people who agree with the OP would respond.

I see two quotes of my question and zero answers to it, stop being cowards ...

No I wouldn't vote for any of those scumbags in a primary. Would you vote for them in a general? Don't be a coward, now...

Wrong hypothetical. The question would have to be if it were a choice between Romney or four more years of Trump in the general. In which case, Romney.

Back
Top Bottom