• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

The dumb questions thread

Wat8.jpg

Here is a dumb question. Is the universe rotating?

Compared to what?
I figured that was going to be a response. I suppose to ask if things are rotating within the universe, like a galaxy rotates.

The only way to answer that question would be to ask what are the observable consequences of a rotating universe and are those seen?
You just answered my dumb question with another question. I don't know where that puts us now. Is that answer a really dumb question?

Here is a dumb question. Is the universe rotating?

Compared to what?
I figured that was going to be a response. I suppose to ask if things are rotating within the universe, like a galaxy rotates.

The only way to answer that question would be to ask what are the observable consequences of a rotating universe and are those seen?
You just answered my dumb question with another question. I don't know where that puts us now. Is that answer a really dumb question?

Probably.

Someone told me the other day that the axis of the earth has shifted 2 degrees within his lifetime. I have to think that would have catastrophic effects and we would notice, or if not, I would have heard about it.

True?

Someone told me the other day that the axis of the earth has shifted 2 degrees within his lifetime. I have to think that would have catastrophic effects and we would notice, or if not, I would have heard about it.

True?

Sure, if you redefine a couple of words. Switch the definition of the word "axis", "earth", "degrees", "2", or "shifted" and what you've been told is true.

True?

True?

Yeah, no.

Magnetic North might well have shifted that far - or further - depending on his location on the surface of the Earth.

Back