• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

The effects of warming: Kilodeaths

"I believe, no matter what the facts are."

You're the cultist, @angelo.

Based on your posting history, your science literacy is such that you couldn't tell a beaker from a bunsen burner.

Of course, Professor bigfield is the standard bearer of scientific knowledge on this forum. What would an illiterate center right layman such as myself know!
Is this a rhetorical question or are we actually supposed to answer this based on your posting history on this and a few other subjects?

We? In angelo's pocket or something like that?

Actually a illiterate center layman probably has enough money for someone to post in his stead since, as his poser claims, angelo's illiterate.

... too fine a point .....

Actually it should read ..an illiterate... just sayin'. Oh the irony.

Climate change escalating so fast it is 'beyond point of no return' | The Independent - New study rewrites two decades of research and author says we are 'beyond point of no return'
Global warming is beyond the “point of no return”, according to the lead scientist behind a ground-breaking climate change study.

The full impact of climate change has been underestimated because scientists haven't taken into account a major source of carbon in the environment.

Dr Thomas Crowther’s report has concluded that carbon emitted from soil was speeding up global warming.
From faster decomposition from increasing temperature.

A proposed way around CO2 increase is "regenerative agriculture", more-or-less growing a lot of crop plants and plowing them under. The crop plants can also be roasted to make "biochar", a kind of charcoal. That will keep the crop-plant remains from decomposing.

Both of which you're the expert of course. Especially climate science. A Martin Reese or a Prof Freeman would have nothing on your expert knowledge.

Martin Rees? Freeman Dyson? If you're going to name-drop, at least get the names correct.

Fucked if I know why you name-dropped Martin Rees.

As for Freeman Dyson: Dyson says that "all the fuss about global warming is grossly exaggerated."

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2017/11/10/freeman-dyson-on-heretical-thoughts-about-global-warmimg/

He also goes on to say:

I have studied the climate models and I know what they can do. The models solve the equations of fluid dynamics, and they do a very good job of describing the fluid motions of the atmosphere and the oceans. They do a very poor job of describing the clouds, the dust, the chemistry and the biology of fields and farms and forests. They do not begin to describe the real world that we live in. The real world is muddy and messy and full of things that we do not yet understand. It is much easier for a scientist to sit in an air-conditioned building and run computer models, than to put on winter clothes and measure what is really happening outside in the swamps and the clouds. That is why the climate model experts end up believing their own models.

Dyson goes on to explain what he means by "what is really happening": he believes climate scientists have not accounted for land use change, and he believes that human land use can absorb all of the carbon emitted by burning fossil fuels. However he adds the caveat that we need to invent new land use techniques that will increase our ability to capture carbon.

Changes in farming practices such as no-till farming, avoiding the use of the plow, cause biomass to grow at least as fast as this. If we plant crops without plowing the soil, more of the biomass goes into roots which stay in the soil, and less returns to the atmosphere. If we use genetic engineering to put more biomass into roots, we can probably achieve much more rapid growth of topsoil. I conclude from this calculation that the problem of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere is a problem of land management, not a problem of meteorology. No computer model of atmosphere and ocean can hope to predict the way we shall manage our land.

Basically, Dyson's view is "all the fuss about global warming is grossly exaggerated" because we'll invent our way out of the problem, with land use change and genetic engineering.

Last I checked, Dyson was a professor of physics, not an expert in land use or genetic engineering. So why the fuck should I care what he thinks?

Climate science is not Freeman Dyson's field of expertise.
Land use is not Freeman Dyson's field of expertise.
Genetic engineering is not
Freeman Dyson's field of expertise.

Just because someone is a expert in one thing doesn't make them an expert in everything else.

Exactly how many expert climate scientists, not counting the janitor and students do you think inhabit the IPPC? And please don't mention the discreteted Michael Mann and his "Climagate" co conspirators at the Uni of East Anglia. ."

Martin Rees? Freeman Dyson? If you're going to name-drop, at least get the names correct.

Fucked if I know why you name-dropped Martin Rees.

As for Freeman Dyson: Dyson says that "all the fuss about global warming is grossly exaggerated."

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2017/11/10/freeman-dyson-on-heretical-thoughts-about-global-warmimg/

He also goes on to say:

Dyson goes on to explain what he means by "what is really happening": he believes climate scientists have not accounted for land use change, and he believes that human land use can absorb all of the carbon emitted by burning fossil fuels. However he adds the caveat that we need to invent new land use techniques that will increase our ability to capture carbon.

Changes in farming practices such as no-till farming, avoiding the use of the plow, cause biomass to grow at least as fast as this. If we plant crops without plowing the soil, more of the biomass goes into roots which stay in the soil, and less returns to the atmosphere. If we use genetic engineering to put more biomass into roots, we can probably achieve much more rapid growth of topsoil. I conclude from this calculation that the problem of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere is a problem of land management, not a problem of meteorology. No computer model of atmosphere and ocean can hope to predict the way we shall manage our land.

Basically, Dyson's view is "all the fuss about global warming is grossly exaggerated" because we'll invent our way out of the problem, with land use change and genetic engineering.

Last I checked, Dyson was a professor of physics, not an expert in land use or genetic engineering. So why the fuck should I care what he thinks?

Climate science is not Freeman Dyson's field of expertise.
Land use is not Freeman Dyson's field of expertise.
Genetic engineering is not
Freeman Dyson's field of expertise.

Just because someone is a expert in one thing doesn't make them an expert in everything else.

Exactly how many expert climate scientists, not counting the janitor and students do you think inhabit the IPPC? And please don't mention the discreteted Michael Mann and his "Climagate" co conspirators at the Uni of East Anglia. ."

Your judgment of scientific expertise is about as useful as a steakhouse review from a vegetarian.

Your judgment of scientific expertise is about as useful as a steakhouse review from a vegetarian.

IMG_4794.JPG

You realize they were completely exonerated? "Climategate" was a case of taking things out of context, nothing more.

Hurricane models and models' that predict local weather have gotten very good. It is the same science used to forecast climate change.

Climate change escalating so fast it is 'beyond point of no return' | The Independent - New study rewrites two decades of research and author says we are 'beyond point of no return'
Global warming is beyond the “point of no return”, according to the lead scientist behind a ground-breaking climate change study.

The full impact of climate change has been underestimated because scientists haven't taken into account a major source of carbon in the environment.

Dr Thomas Crowther’s report has concluded that carbon emitted from soil was speeding up global warming.
From faster decomposition from increasing temperature.

A proposed way around CO2 increase is "regenerative agriculture", more-or-less growing a lot of crop plants and plowing them under. The crop plants can also be roasted to make "biochar", a kind of charcoal. That will keep the crop-plant remains from decomposing.

Of course we could place a cork in every cows arse so as as to stop them farting as well.

Ah so! So you're a part time stand up comedian when you're not posting here? I'd suggest you don't give up your day time job.

Of course we could place a cork in every cows arse so as as to stop them farting as well.

Oh, now I realize what that old nursery rhyme was really talking about!

The cow didn't jump, the cork blew out.

Back
Top Bottom