• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

The for-profit college industry: An education in moral depravity

What part of my post gave you any indication whatsoever that I would agree with yours?

When you carelessly tossed out the phrase "No "for-profit" universities at all."
I did not "carelessly toss out" anything. It is my position and I have thought about it in depth. You, on the other hand, have offered absolutely nothing whatsoever other than a careless ideological rant with zero substance that was a full on attacl of me as a person yet said nothing about the argument I presented.

Dumb solutions like "we just need to eliminate profit" really piss me off. It shows an utter lack of understanding of unintended consequences. Her solution leads to these kind of consequences (if the non profits were doing such a stellar job of serving these students, there wouldn't be a need for these other kinds of educational institutions).

It always amazes me how much the comfortable middle-class left wants to simply ban businesses that serve the poor, the group which they feign sympathy for, leaving them hanging high and dry.

Oh, now I get it. Your response was just a knee-jerk ideological rant kicked off by the mere sight of a trigger word, without any attempt or ability on your part to actually read or understand what I really wrote.

P.S. I never wrote "we just need to eliminate profit" so who are you quoting?

Did you not say "No "for-profit" universities at all.". That is pretty much a knee-jerk ideological solution typical of the left, deserving of no better than the response you got.
So again you fail to formulate an intellectually coherent rebuttal, instead you go for the personal attack.

I'm sure there might be someone in this thread that would be capable of providing a well-reasoned, articulate, sourced response for me. For instance, Sweden has some "for-profit" schools, but they do not have this ridiculous loan system that we have in the USA. The federal government simply pays all tuition and fees through (iirc) the equivalent of our Masters program.

Perhaps someone with an actual brain in his head instead of a bunch of conservative mush will be able to go into further detail on examples like that. Unfortunately, that person is clearly not you.

Buh Bye

Last edited:
Here's a thought

High School Early College

But not just for a small group but for any student interested and not just for college transfer, but for complete vocational training as well.

Then there won't be such an easy target, I mean, Market for the diploma mills to exploit.

I live in am area where there are many PSEO courses: opportunities for high school students to take coursework at colleges and tech schools tuition free.

Here are the issues I see, based on how this works locally:

1. Local school districts receive funding based upon student count. If students are spending time at other sites, schools lose funding. Also local schools who are increasingly judged and funded based upon student test scores so losing top performing students to these programs costs them finding this way.

2. Many of these "college level" classes are taught by high school teachers ( to avoid cost in #1 above) calling into question whether the classes really are college level. In my experience, they are not.

3. Should 16 year olds be on a university campus with college students? I have concerns. Intellectually: sure. Socially? Maybe not.

I have no doubt that schools should be much more rigorous and do a better job preparing students for the next step of their lives.

My daughter did "dual-enrollment" which is what is was called here. She was actually home-schooled for high school, so the local high-school had already lost the 'per student' funding for her. On the other hand, her college classes were taught by college instructors, and the (slightly) more adult setting was exactly what she needed. At 25 now, she actually regrets not taking better advantage of the opportunity. As in the article Athena linked, she could have had her AA and her High School diploma at the same time.

One thing I like about the program Athena linked is that it actually targets "at risk" kids rather than the top-tier students the dual-enrollment programs usually go after, All too often (from personal observation) the most "at risk" kids are the smartest ones that aren't being challenged enough.

I live in am area where there are many PSEO courses: opportunities for high school students to take coursework at colleges and tech schools tuition free.

Here are the issues I see, based on how this works locally:

1. Local school districts receive funding based upon student count. If students are spending time at other sites, schools lose funding. Also local schools who are increasingly judged and funded based upon student test scores so losing top performing students to these programs costs them finding this way.

2. Many of these "college level" classes are taught by high school teachers ( to avoid cost in #1 above) calling into question whether the classes really are college level. In my experience, they are not.

3. Should 16 year olds be on a university campus with college students? I have concerns. Intellectually: sure. Socially? Maybe not.

I have no doubt that schools should be much more rigorous and do a better job preparing students for the next step of their lives.

My daughter did "dual-enrollment" which is what is was called here. She was actually home-schooled for high school, so the local high-school had already lost the 'per student' funding for her. On the other hand, her college classes were taught by college instructors, and the (slightly) more adult setting was exactly what she needed. At 25 now, she actually regrets not taking better advantage of the opportunity. As in the article Athena linked, she could have had her AA and her High School diploma at the same time.

One thing I like about the program Athena linked is that it actually targets "at risk" kids rather than the top-tier students the dual-enrollment programs usually go after, All too often (from personal observation) the most "at risk" kids are the smartest ones that aren't being challenged enough.

Well, my experience with Early College has been that it has grounded flighty kids, motivated slacker kids, and graduated kids with A.A.S. degrees that would not have gotten to college at all other wise. The teachers generally have MAs and are accredited to teach at a college, at least at the early college in my area.

I agree that you have both described ways that early college should work. It's exactly what I think it should be doing: challenging students who really need and thrive in such environments. That's how I thought it should be.

and then of course there are apprenticeships like in Germany

Germany[edit]

A master chimney sweep and apprentice in 2008
Apprenticeships are part of Germany's dual education system, and as such form an integral part of many people's working life. Finding employment without having completed an apprenticeship is almost impossible. For some particular technical university professions, such as food technology, a completed apprenticeship is often recommended; for some, such as marine engineering it may even be mandatory.

In Germany, there are 342 recognized trades (Ausbildungsberufe) where an apprenticeship can be completed. They include for example doctor's assistant, banker, dispensing optician, plumber or oven builder.[15] The dual system means that apprentices spend about 50-70% of their time in companies and the rest in formal education. Depending on the profession, they may work for three to four days a week in the company and then spend one or two days at a vocational school (Berufsschule). This is usually the case for trade and craftspeople. For other professions, usually which require more theoretical learning, the working and school times take place blockwise e.g. in a 12–18 weeks interval. These Berufsschulen have been part of the education system since the 19th century.

In 2001, two thirds of young people aged under 22 began an apprenticeship, and 78% of them completed it, meaning that approximately 51% of all young people under 22 have completed an apprenticeship.[citation needed] One in three companies offered apprenticeships in 2003,[citation needed] in 2004 the government signed a pledge with industrial unions that all companies except very small ones must take on apprentices.

The latent decrease of the German population due to low birth rates is now causing a lack of young people available to start an apprenticeship.[citation needed]

Apprenticeship after general education[edit]

A master discusses a vacuum compressor with his apprentice (front left) and several other craftsmen

German journeymen during journeyman years in traditional costume
After graduation from school at the age of fifteen to nineteen (depending on type of school), students start an apprenticeship in their chosen professions. Realschule and Gymnasium graduates usually have better chances for being accepted as an apprentice for sophisticated craft professions or apprenticeships in white-collar jobs in finance or administration. An apprenticeship takes between 2.5 and 3.5 years. Originally, at the beginning of the 20th century, less than 1% of German students attended the Gymnasium (the 8-9 year university-preparatory school) to obtain the Abitur graduation which was the only way to university back then. In the 1950 still only 5% of German youngsters entered university and in 1960 only 6% did. Due to the risen social wealth and the increased demand for academic professionals in Germany, about 24% of the youngsters entered college/university in 2000.[16] Of those, who did not enter university many started an apprenticeship. The apprenticeships usually end a person's education by age 18-20, but also older apprentices are accepted by the employers under certain conditions. This is frequently the case for immigrants from countries without a compatible professional training system.

History[edit]
In 1969, a law (the Berufsbildungsgesetz) was passed which regulated and unified the vocational training system and codified the shared responsibility of the state, the unions, associations and the chambers of trade and industry. The dual system was successful in both parts of the divided Germany. In the GDR, three quarters of the working population had completed apprenticeships.

Business and administrative professions[edit]
The precise skills and theory taught on German apprenticeships are strictly regulated. The employer is responsible for the entire education programme coordinated by the German chamber of commerce. Apprentices obtain a special apprenticeship contract until the end of the education programme. During the programme it is not allowed to assign the apprentice to regular employment and he is well protected from abrupt dismissal until the programme ends. The defined content and skillset of the apprentice profession must be fully provided and taught by the employer. The time taken is also regulated. Each profession takes a different time, usually between 24 and 36 months.

Thus, everyone who had completed an apprenticeship e.g. as an industrial manager (Industriekaufmann) has learned the same skills and has attended the same courses in procurement and stocking up, controlling, staffing, accounting procedures, production planning, terms of trade and transport logistics and various other subjects. Someone who has not taken this apprenticeship or did not pass the final examinations at the chamber of industry and commerce is not allowed to call himself an Industriekaufmann. Most job titles are legally standardized and restricted. An employment in such function in any company would require this completed degree.

Trade and craft professions[edit]
The rules and laws for the trade and craftswork apprentices such as mechanics, bakers, joiners, etc. are as strict as and even broader than for the business professions. The involved procedures, titles and traditions still strongly reflect the medieval origin of the system. Here, the average duration is about 36 months, some specialized crafts even take up to 42 months.

After completion of the dual education, e.g. a baker is allowed to call himself a bakery journeyman (Bäckergeselle). After the apprenticeship the journeyman can enter the master's school (Meisterschule) and continue his education at evening courses for 3–4 years or full-time for about one year. The graduation from the master's school leads to the title of a master craftsman (Meister) of his profession, so e.g. a bakery master is entitled as Bäckermeister. A master is officially entered in the local trade register, the craftspeople's roll (Handwerksrolle). A master craftsman is allowed to employ and to train new apprentices. In some mostly safety-related professions, e.g. that of electricians only a master is allowed to found his own company.

License for educating apprentices[edit]
To employ and to educate apprentices requires a specific license. The AdA - Ausbildung der Ausbilder - "Education of the Educators" license needs to be acquired by a training at the chamber of industry and commerce.

The masters complete this license course within their own master's coursework. The training and examination of new masters is only possible for masters who have been working several years in their profession and who have been accepted by the chambers as a trainer and examiner.

Academic professionals, e.g. engineers, seeking this license need to complete the AdA during or after their university studies, usually by a one-year evening course.

The holder of the license is only allowed to train apprentices within his own field of expertise. For example a mechanical engineer would be able to educate industrial mechanics, but not e.g. laboratory assistants or civil builders.

After the apprenticeship of trade and craft professions[edit]
When the apprenticeship is ended, the former apprentice now is considered a journeyman. He may choose to go on his journeyman years-travels.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apprenticeship#Germany

Well, my experience with Early College has been that it has grounded flighty kids, motivated slacker kids, and graduated kids with A.A.S. degrees that would not have gotten to college at all other wise. The teachers generally have MAs and are accredited to teach at a college, at least at the early college in my area.

Masters in what? The subject they are teaching as college level? Accredited to teach at a college--I don't believe there is such a thing. Universities usually require terminal degrees for most areas. There are exceptions: licensed teachers with Masters' degrees sometimes teach education classes at a university. Less often if you have a masters in a specific area: English, say, or French, or mathematics, you might--emphasis on might--be hired on an adjunct basis, but usually at a community college and not at a 4 year university. At least as far as I know.

I know a little about the various European education tracts. I think in some ways they are a good idea; in other ways, I think they force kids into a particular tract much earlier than they should, before the kid actually has had a chance to figure out or demonstrate talents. Europeans that I know have made it seem as though it is pretty hard to change from one track to another partway through.

How does this differ from for-profit medical care?
For-profit mass transit?
For-profit power grid?
For-profit internet access?

... a pattern emerges

Well, in case of power grid, mass transit and internet access, people are generally able to judge for themselves if service they get is worth the money they spent. In case of health care much less so and education is even less.

So we ought to revive Jonathan Swift's Modest Proposal?
Exhibit A of the comfortable middle class left who really doesn't give a damn about actually helping people but would rather punish their deemed enemies or ban things that offend their leftist sensibilities.
So those are the only possible reasons that anyone can possibly have for objecting to things like dishonest diploma mills and Jonathan Swift's modest proposal?

Masters in what? The subject they are teaching as college level? Accredited to teach at a college--I don't believe there is such a thing. Universities usually require terminal degrees for most areas. There are exceptions: licensed teachers with Masters' degrees sometimes teach education classes at a university. Less often if you have a masters in a specific area: English, say, or French, or mathematics, you might--emphasis on might--be hired on an adjunct basis, but usually at a community college and not at a 4 year university. At least as far as I know.

I know a little about the various European education tracts. I think in some ways they are a good idea; in other ways, I think they force kids into a particular tract much earlier than they should, before the kid actually has had a chance to figure out or demonstrate talents. Europeans that I know have made it seem as though it is pretty hard to change from one track to another partway through.
Based on my personal experience with the French educational system, by the time high school students start their final year known as "Terminale" a grade which prepares them to passing the Baccalaureate degree, they already have a fairly good evaluation of their "talents" regarding a variety of curriculum items. It was very clear to me that by the time I completed Terminale A5, my orientation was to be towards "Lettres et Sciences Humaines" versus Science, Technology, Economic/Political Sciences/ Finances. Why? Because I was fully aware of which curriculum items over the course of 6 years had been my forte versus the ones which were not. As a result as I completed the last grade before "terminale", I specifically chose to prepare for the BAC A5 reflecting French Literature, Philosophy, 3 foreign languages, History/Geography as the most point value items versus maths and science as the lowest point value items to pass the Baccalaureat degree. I could have chosen the BAC C or D orienting towards science careers and business/finance/ eco/political college studies. Or Law careers. Not sure whether the BAC A 4 still exists, a variation from the A 5, with Latin and 2 foreign languages.

By the time of the completion of 6 years and subsequent entry into the Terminale, most French students know which curriculum items they will want to pursue in their college education. At that point, their choice of BAC category will direct them towards which Université they will enroll with.

The above in response to your comment :

I think they force kids into a particular tract much earlier than they should, before the kid actually has had a chance to figure out or demonstrate talents.

It was undeniably clear to me and my class peers which "talents" we had "demonstrated" over the course of our high school education. Consistently, my "talents" had been towards foreign languages, certainly not maths and science. As a result, my choice was the preparatory Terminale for a BAC A5 which then directed me towards the Faculte de Lettres and Sciences Humaines( in Nice, the closest to my hometown Cannes) where I completed my (first Cycle) degree ,known as Deug C, (Applied Foreign Languages or LEA in French).

Based on my personal experience with the French educational system, by the time high school students start their final year known as "Terminale" a grade which prepares them to passing the Baccalaureate degree, they already have a fairly good evaluation of their "talents" regarding a variety of curriculum items. It was very clear to me that by the time I completed Terminale A5, my orientation was to be towards "Lettres et Sciences Humaines" versus Science, Technology, Economic/Political Sciences/ Finances. Why? Because I was fully aware of which curriculum items over the course of 6 years had been my forte versus the ones which were not. As a result as I completed the last grade before "terminale", I specifically chose to prepare for the BAC A5 reflecting French Literature, Philosophy, 3 foreign languages, History/Geography as the most point value items versus maths and science as the lowest point value items to pass the Baccalaureat degree. I could have chosen the BAC C or D orienting towards science careers and business/finance/ eco/political college studies. Or Law careers. Not sure whether the BAC A 4 still exists, a variation from the A 5, with Latin and 2 foreign languages.

By the time of the completion of 6 years and subsequent entry into the Terminale, most French students know which curriculum items they will want to pursue in their college education. At that point, their choice of BAC category will direct them towards which Université they will enroll with.

The above in response to your comment :

I think they force kids into a particular tract much earlier than they should, before the kid actually has had a chance to figure out or demonstrate talents.

It was undeniably clear to me and my class peers which "talents" we had "demonstrated" over the course of our high school education. Consistently, my "talents" had been towards foreign languages, certainly not maths and science. As a result, my choice was the preparatory Terminale for a BAC A5 which then directed me towards the Faculte de Lettres and Sciences Humaines( in Nice, the closest to my hometown Cannes) where I completed my (first Cycle) degree ,known as Deug C, (Applied Foreign Languages or LEA in French).

I was specifically thinking of systems which sorted kids int tracts by the start of high school.

Speaking for myself, early on I demonstrated talents in languages, arts, math and science. Because of many factors not related to my own interests, I was guided and then chose to continue in sciences. I have mixed feelings about that still. Money wise, it was the smart choice. Happiness wise: maybe not.

Off the top of my head I can think of several young adults who were heavily steered into areas with a strong math/science component such as engineering and architecture who did well enough in those fields but hated the work and left to pursue unrelated careers which have made them much happier if not as well off financially.

I am not arguing that students should not have early career options but rather for flexibility for people as they move through life.

I did dual enrollment in high school, it wasn't possible to get an AA in the time available. We were limited to 6 credit hours of college courses and freshmen couldn't do it at all.

And this is the root of the problem. We have collectively chosen to evolve into a society that relies heavily on credentials and practices an enormous amount of credential-based discrimination.

We didn't choose that, it is the only practical way that countless applicant could be sorted into those likely vs unlikely to have the actual skills required.
Sorry, I'm really not grasping the theory that explains how ZiprHead's co-worker who had working experience doing hospital management was less likely to have the actual skills required for his job than some random applicant with a B.A. in Art History.

Without this, every job would have 10,000 times the number of applicants, and every one of them would need to be directly tested for the required skills, and a valid and reliable and quick and easy to score test would have to exist for all required skills.
So what has changed, to cause every job to start having 10,000 times the number of applicants, since that manifestly wasn't the case back in the days before society took up mass discrimination against non-college-graduates? And, assuming your claim is correct, what's the theory that explains why if I get 10,000 applicants I have to test every one for the required skills?

That creates demand for fake credentials, just like demand for fake IDs. Griping about the evil purveyors of fake IDs is pointless; so is griping about the evils of the profit motive leading people to sell fake IDs, as though outlawing profit ever stopped people from constructing fake IDs for one another.

Not true. First, loud public discourse about how these schools are scum and clearly have no motive to provide a real education will greatly reduce the people who go to them. Since the existence of these schools increases fake credentials of the sort in question by many times over, this will greatly reduce the % of credentials that are fake.
Not seeing the evidence for that assertion. You seem to be assuming that the accredited non-profit schools are not also providing fake credentials. But grade inflation is rampant in regular universities, as are pass/fail, sorry, pass/"no credit" courses, as are courses with no serious academic content. When a college degree is a de facto union card that employers check for in order to help them plow through the pile of resumes, teenagers who lack either the academic chops or the family wealth to get a rigorous degree will have a need to get that union card; and while academia as a whole has an incentive to play cartel and keep standards up in order to minimize the number of competitors, each individual institution has an incentive to defect and lower its standards to get paying students in the door by offering them an easy route to that union card. The fact that a university isn't making a profit doesn't change the fact that it needs the money; academic policy is decided by committees of professors and the professors know where their salaries are coming from.

So as long as employers are discriminating against people who learned their skills by reading textbooks on their own time or by paying attention to their skilled supervisors and co-workers, in favor of people who learned their skills from listening to lectures on postmodern literary criticism, there are going to be a lot of institutions giving out a lot of fake credentials, even if you choose to define those credentials as real credentials merely because the student really did learn how to write a book report with delusions of grandeur, and his teacher really was paid by somebody who didn't make a profit.

In addition, acknowledging the objective fact that profit motive is scam motive and virtually incompatible with providing a quality education that is what it claims, helps both consumers and government to identify the most likely scam schools giving out fake credentials and thus be extra cautious in going to them or allowing given loans to attend them.
You haven't offered any evidence that profit motive is scam motive. And it seems to me it's a bit premature to declare it incompatible with providing a quality education that is what it claims, when none of the obvious measures to stop it from incentivizing low quality have been taken in education, even though those measures have been taken in many other services and for-profit providers provide those services with high quality.

Your analogy to a simple fake ID to get a beer is absurd since its much easier to fake an ID than an entire accredited institution whose records employers can check to verify your enrollment.
Who said anything about beer? The CIA also fakes IDs, to get its agents past enemy governments' counter-intelligence services who know what to look for. There's a whole spectrum of fake IDs, just as there's a whole spectrum of fake credentials. A diploma mill is at the beer end of the spectrum; a small but two-century-old accredited liberal arts college that caters to the dumb children of the rich and gives them expensive degrees in fields that qualify them for no useful work is at the CIA end.

We didn't choose that, it is the only practical way that countless applicant could be sorted into those likely vs unlikely to have the actual skills required.
Sorry, I'm really not grasping the theory that explains how ZiprHead's co-worker who had working experience doing hospital management was less likely to have the actual skills required for his job than some random applicant with a B.A. in Art History.

The comparison is to someone with a B.A. in Healthcare Management or other major related to the requisite skills of the job. Also, the only reason his co-worker got the job in the first place was his credentials. They didn't just hire a random person off the street who happened to test well, which is what your system would require. In addition, "work experience" is itself just a form of "credential" similar to a college degree. That is what a degree denotes, that you have experience with and/or previously demonstrated aptitude in knowledge or skills related to the job. And just like other credentials, work experience can be faked, in fact more easily than college degree credentials.

Without this, every job would have 10,000 times the number of applicants, and every one of them would need to be directly tested for the required skills, and a valid and reliable and quick and easy to score test would have to exist for all required skills.
So what has changed, to cause every job to start having 10,000 times the number of applicants, since that manifestly wasn't the case back in the days before society took up mass discrimination against non-college-graduates?

First, educational credentials are not some new thing, but have been used with steadily increasing frequency over centuries. Their use in employment decisions has corresponded tightly with the shift from the % of jobs requiring physical labor in which many entry level grunt positions exist requiring no skills and during which one could learn the skilled labor on the job, to jobs requiring cognitive and decision making skills that require a wealth of knowledge and practice applying that knowledge before one can perform any task of any financial use to the hiring company (meaning that the skills can rarely be acquired on the job after being hired for some unskilled task. In combination with this fact, the kinds of cognitive skills needed are changing at the most rapid pace in history, such that your prior work experience is much less applicable to the currently available jobs than it used to be. IOW, today's jobs and nature of the workforce means that for more and more jobs applicants with little skills are of no use to the company and thus cannot learn on the job to gain experience, and prior job experience is less relevant to the next job than it used to be. This means that who is the most qualified required knowing the knowledge and cognitive skills in a person's head that they often have not yet had a chance to use in previously paid job. There are only two ways to know this, education history in the applications or directly testing each person for all the relevant skills. Contrary to your belief that college degrees are just about elitism, employers use them because they are a measure (however imperfect) of what knowledge and skills a person is likely to possess. If we throw out education history, then there is little to nothing in the peoples' applications that discriminate among who has these cognitive skills. On paper, every person in the world is "qualified" for the job. And in the internet age, every person in the world can be aware of the job being filled. Since any plausible specific test of knowledge and skills that the employer could give and score for large numbers of applicants is of limited validity and reliability, people who know that they have less skills (often because of less education), might as well apply to every job that pays better than their current one, even if they have to fake it or get lucky on the test. IOW, the massive increase in applicants for each job is the same reason why students who know they didn't study and don't know shit about the material still show up to take the test. They might get lucky and pass it. The difference is that doing well on your single test gets them a well paying job, but it only boost their grade in one course that they still might not pass and does little to get them a college degree.

And, assuming your claim is correct, what's the theory that explains why if I get 10,000 applicants I have to test every one for the required skills?

You have rejected the most valid pre-existing indicator of each persons' relevant cognitive skills, whether they exposed themselves to the knowledge in a formal manner (attended college) and whether they demonstrated those skills well enough to do well in their courses, and did so in enough courses to earn a degree.
That means you nothing to distinguish among all your applicants other than any specific test you give them to perform. Any applicants you do not test, could very easily be the most qualified applicants. That is the point of using college performance and degrees as initial screening criteria to determine who you bring in to "test" and who you give no further consideration to. The more we allow the college performance/degree system to be cheated and not reflect acquired knowledge and skills to less reliable that screening process is and the more likely it is that anyone we do not directly test is the best applicant.

That creates demand for fake credentials, just like demand for fake IDs. Griping about the evil purveyors of fake IDs is pointless; so is griping about the evils of the profit motive leading people to sell fake IDs, as though outlawing profit ever stopped people from constructing fake IDs for one another.

Not true. First, loud public discourse about how these schools are scum and clearly have no motive to provide a real education will greatly reduce the people who go to them. Since the existence of these schools increases fake credentials of the sort in question by many times over, this will greatly reduce the % of credentials that are fake.
Not seeing the evidence for that assertion. You seem to be assuming that the accredited non-profit schools are not also providing fake credentials.

I am not assuming zero invalid credentials by accredited non-profit schools, just much much less, and I gave you very detailed argument as to why.

But grade inflation is rampant in regular universities, as are pass/fail, sorry, pass/"no credit" courses, as are courses with no serious academic content.

First, real Universities reject a huge % (in many cases 90%) of the applicants based upon reliable indicators of the knowledge and skills they already have and that predict whether they will learn what is taught in college courses. Every rejected applicant is essentially a "fail" on many assessments (every grade they got in H.S., every course they took, there scores on each sub-scale of entrance exams). That alone makes your borrowed mantra about "grade inflation" largely vacuous. In addition, plenty of students still fail out of college. Plus, many of the dropouts who don't fail lots of courses, still drop out because getting passing grades is too hard and takes too much work, which falsifies your notion that anyone can pass without actually learning anything (which is the only sense in which "grade inflation" would have any meaning worth being concerned about or relevant to the discussion).

When a college degree is a de facto union card that employers check for in order to help them plow through the pile of resumes, teenagers who lack either the academic chops or the family wealth to get a rigorous degree will have a need to get that union card; and while academia as a whole has an incentive to play cartel and keep standards up in order to minimize the number of competitors, each individual institution has an incentive to defect and lower its standards to get paying students in the door by offering them an easy route to that union card.

Then why do most public colleges reject so many students? They have students pounding at the door begging to give them thousands of dollars, and yet they turn them away. Yes, some public schools have lower standards of entry than others (none lower than for-profit schools). But those public schools also have lower college GPAs and higher failure rates than more selective schools, because despite letting less qualified people in the door, they still hold them to minimal standards of learning that more of these lower qualified students do not achieve. Also, employers learn about schools with lower admission standards but also low fail out rates and devalue those degree, just as they do and rationally should devalue the application of anyone with a college degree at all, because degrees are an indicator of cognitive knowledge and skills.
The people making the admissions decisions at public colleges (and their supervisors) gain virtually nothing by admitting more students. In fact they hurt themselves, because the instructors quite rightly have considerable collective power (unlike profit schools where they have zero power and are just hourly wage earners). Instructors can and would rail against administrators who ruined the quality of instruction by allowing anyone willing to pay into their classrooms. All of that extra tuition income would just go towards having to build new buildings or hire new instructors. It doesn't go directly into anyone's personal bank account or market shares, unlike for profit schools where the people at the top get most of that added tuition in the form of personal profit, and they pay their subordinate hourly wage earners commission and bonuses tied to each extra student "admitted" (which isn't the right word since anyone willing is let in the door).

In sum, yes incentives matter, but incentives means the people deciding who and how many get in are personally profiting in direct proportion to number of students, and that is only true of for-profit schools.

The fact that a university isn't making a profit doesn't change the fact that it needs the money; academic policy is decided by committees of professors and the professors know where their salaries are coming from.

Their salaries do not come from more students. The number of students per class varies all the time, and has no impact on the pay of the professor teaching it.
Besides, most classes at most respectable colleges are at capacity. Bringing in many more students would just require hiring more faculty, which actually hurts the future pay of existing faculty. Public schools need money in order to teach the students that they admit. The more they admit, the more money they need. Student tuition at public colleges does not cover the expense of the student. IF anything public colleges spend energy resisting outside pressure to lower their standards and admit more students from the local community. They resist because they know it will lower the quality of education and because they personally gain nothing from admitting more students (again, unlike for profit schools where decision makers gain directly from every dollar of tuition paid).

So as long as employers are discriminating against people who learned their skills by reading textbooks on their own time
Employers have no way of knowing how much your read textbooks on your own. Also, college courses are not just about reading textbooks. There are lectures, discussions, assignments, and tests. BTW, graded course assignments and tests not only evaluate what you learned to that point, they also cause you to learn more and have deeper understanding of what you learned. There is a growing body of experimental research showing this. Even something as simple and "shallow" as a memory test for definitions depends people's conceptual understanding of the underlying ideas and their ability to apply them in problem solving. College is formal acts of acquiring and practice using various types of knowledge and thinking skills. While far from perfect, college grades and degrees are still often the most reliable on-paper indicator of whether an applicant has relevant knowledge and skills, even more than past job experience in a market where the narrow specific skills one learns on the job in one place often do not transfer to emerging job opportunities (and again, it is easier and more common for people to lie about prior work experience than college experience).

or by paying attention to their skilled supervisors and co-workers,
See above. Not only is it easier and more common to lie about past work experience, but past job experience is less and less transferable, and harder and harder to "learn on the job" as an initially unskilled worker who can offer nothing to many modern companies.

in favor of people who learned their skills from listening to lectures on postmodern literary criticism,

Ah, can you show me a degree where student only take courses in literary criticism? First, I don't deny that the core coursework in some majors are not that useful for anything but teaching those same courses you took. But even the lamest of majors usually require general ed breadth requirements in science, math, reading comprehension, etc.. that not only convey useful knowledge but more importantly help develop thinking skills that have general utility (skills that would help you make better and more evidence-based arguments).

there are going to be a lot of institutions giving out a lot of fake credentials,

The number is exponentially increased when low qualify institutions giving out fake credentials can attract students with subsidized loans. Thus, the government should make an effort to exclude all subsidized loans from being used at institutions that do not use standards to determine who gets those credentials, and since direct profit for every students given the credential undermines using any standards, and for profit schools are by definition motivated primarily by increasing profits (and are held liable by shareholders if they do anything but increase profits), targeting those schools for loan exclusion is highly rational and will have the greatest effect in reducing college credentials fraud.

even if you choose to define those credentials as real credentials merely because the student really did learn how to write a book report with delusions of grandeur,
Again, so me a degree where that is the sole requirement.

and his teacher really was paid by somebody who didn't make a profit.

At public schools, no one involved made a profit by admitting more students, or even by passing and graduating those they admit. Thus, there is no incentive to give fake credentials and in fact strong incentives not to.

In addition, acknowledging the objective fact that profit motive is scam motive and virtually incompatible with providing a quality education that is what it claims, helps both consumers and government to identify the most likely scam schools giving out fake credentials and thus be extra cautious in going to them or allowing given loans to attend them.
You haven't offered any evidence that profit motive is scam motive.

It is true by the definition of profit and scam, and I explained why. Profit is taking from people more in value than the other party receives from you. Any motive to increase profit is thus a motive to do things that make the other party willing to give you more in value than you give them, which is psychologically implausible unless the other party wrongly believes they are getting equal or greater value than what they give. Thus, manufacturing these wrong beliefs in the other party is among the few things one can do to satisfy profit motives, and manufacturing such beliefs is the definition of a scam. That is why 99.9% of marketing is nothing other than a scam in which any objective facts about the product or what is required to get it takes a back seat (or is completely excluded) in favor of misinformation and emotional manipulation designed to lead the other party to false associations about the product and/or what they need to give up to get it.

And it seems to me it's a bit premature to declare it incompatible with providing a quality education that is what it claims, when none of the obvious measures to stop it from incentivizing low quality have been taken in education,

I said "virtually" incompatible because there is the possibility that a small % of for profit schools could actually use the generally low quality education that pervades the for profit college market, and attract students by setting themselves apart and pointing out many of the same facts about most for profit schools that this thread has focused upon. They would need to charge less than most of those schools (such as ITT's $50k for 2 years) and apply much more of a public college model of admission and graduation standards. That would mean limiting short term profit possibilities in favor of long term sustainability via an earned reputation of quality (rather than a manufactured reputation via marketing). IOW, they could be a for profit institution, but only one that is mildly profitable. The education market is just one where it isn't possible to corner and dominate the market and be the sole provider for most people who want an education. Thus massive profit isn't possible by merely selling billions of widgets at a low profit per widget. Thus, massive profits in education is only plausible if you make massive profit from each unit of education sold (i.e., each student), which is only possible if you take as much as you can while giving as little as you can get away with, and the latter mean giving little knowledge and skills and thus low quality education.

The comparison is to someone with a B.A. in Healthcare Management or other major related to the requisite skills of the job.
Where are you getting that? That's not what ZiprHead said. "all managers were required to have B.A.s or B.S.s". There was no indication that the degree had to be in a related field.

Also, the only reason his co-worker got the job in the first place was his credentials. They didn't just hire a random person off the street who happened to test well, which is what your system would require.
I.e., they used the system in use, not some other system. What's your point?

And just like other credentials, work experience can be faked, in fact more easily than college degree credentials.
It can't when it's experience at the guy's current job.

So what has changed, to cause every job to start having 10,000 times the number of applicants, since that manifestly wasn't the case back in the days before society took up mass discrimination against non-college-graduates?
First, educational credentials are not some new thing, but have been used with steadily increasing frequency over centuries. Their use in employment decisions has corresponded tightly with the shift from the % of jobs requiring physical labor in which many entry level grunt positions exist requiring no skills and during which one could learn the skilled labor on the job, to jobs requiring cognitive and decision making skills that require a wealth of knowledge and practice applying that knowledge before one can perform any task of any financial use to the hiring company (meaning that the skills can rarely be acquired on the job after being hired for some unskilled task. In combination with this fact, the kinds of cognitive skills needed are changing at the most rapid pace in history, such that your prior work experience is much less applicable to the currently available jobs than it used to be.
There's been some of that; but this isn't the same old steady-over-centuries trend -- there was a big step up in it in the 70s and 80s. It was mostly just a culture shift. My aunt dropped out of college and then had a successful twenty year technical career in one of the big old traditional semiconductor companies. Then the company was sold and broken up, she was laid off, the industry became dominated by newer more agile companies, and she spent the next fifteen years being short-listed for jobs she was fully qualified for but that in the end went to somebody with comparable experience who also had a degree. If it were because her skills were no longer applicable to the modern chip industry then she wouldn't have kept making it through to the final round.

This means that who is the most qualified required knowing the knowledge and cognitive skills in a person's head that they often have not yet had a chance to use in previously paid job. There are only two ways to know this, education history in the applications or directly testing each person for all the relevant skills.
Knowing an applicant's education history does not cause you to know the knowledge and cognitive skills in a person's head and does not cause you to know who is the most qualified.

Contrary to your belief that college degrees are just about elitism, employers use them because they are a measure (however imperfect) of what knowledge and skills a person is likely to possess.
There's not really a whole lot of point in us arguing from the premise that you're in charge of my beliefs. I suspect the chief reason for the culture change is the general increase in litigiousness. Unlike the traditional decision method, gut feeling, discriminating based on college degrees gives businesses an objective explanation to point to for why an applicant was turned away.

And, assuming your claim is correct, what's the theory that explains why if I get 10,000 applicants I have to test every one for the required skills?

You have rejected the most valid pre-existing indicator of each persons' relevant cognitive skills, whether they exposed themselves to the knowledge in a formal manner (attended college) and whether they demonstrated those skills well enough to do well in their courses, and did so in enough courses to earn a degree.
That means you nothing to distinguish among all your applicants other than any specific test you give them to perform. Any applicants you do not test, could very easily be the most qualified applicants. That is the point of using college performance and degrees as initial screening criteria to determine who you bring in to "test" and who you give no further consideration to.
I.e., if I don't test them all I probably won't hire the best applicant. True. But if I do it your way I probably won't hire the best applicant either. Hiring the best applicant is a low-probability outcome no matter what procedure I use, whether I put a lot of effort into the selection or not. So no, every one of them would not need to be directly tested for the required skills. The hiring manager tests only as many applicants as it takes to find somebody who appears to be good enough, and then hires him and stops testing.

The more we allow the college performance/degree system to be cheated and not reflect acquired knowledge and skills to less reliable that screening process is and the more likely it is that anyone we do not directly test is the best applicant.
All the more reason to separate the teaching function from the measurement function. When it's up to each college to say if their own students passed, there's no common unit of measurement. Employers are left to guess that a degree from here means more than a degree from there.

But grade inflation is rampant in regular universities, as are pass/fail, sorry, pass/"no credit" courses, as are courses with no serious academic content.

First, real Universities reject a huge % (in many cases 90%) of the applicants based upon reliable indicators of the knowledge and skills they already have and that predict whether they will learn what is taught in college courses. Every rejected applicant is essentially a "fail" on many assessments (every grade they got in H.S., every course they took, there scores on each sub-scale of entrance exams).
At the university my father taught at, the standing joke was that the entrance requirement was $800 and a pulse. You're talking as though what's true of top universities is also true of the broad mass of "safety schools".

That alone makes your borrowed mantra about "grade inflation" largely vacuous.
Why do you call it a mantra and whom are you claiming I borrowed it from? And if you mean it's vacuous because the mere fact of getting admitted to Harvard proves you probably deserved to get an A, are you suggesting they don't also inflate grades at Fly-Over-State State?

In addition, plenty of students still fail out of college.
Depends on the college. It's easy to find accredited colleges with both low admissions standards and high graduation rates, especially among church-affiliated colleges.

Plus, many of the dropouts who don't fail lots of courses, still drop out because getting passing grades is too hard and takes too much work, which falsifies your notion that anyone can pass without actually learning anything (which is the only sense in which "grade inflation" would have any meaning worth being concerned about or relevant to the discussion).
I know how fond you are of telling me what my notions are, but you aren't very good at it. Of course they learn something; that doesn't mean they learn enough and/or the things they need learn in order to be useful. Plus, many of the dropouts drop out because money becomes an issue. Employers trying to discriminate against the stupid and lazy all too often are actually discriminating against the poor.

while academia as a whole has an incentive to play cartel and keep standards up in order to minimize the number of competitors, each individual institution has an incentive to defect and lower its standards to get paying students in the door by offering them an easy route to that union card.

Then why do most public colleges reject so many students? They have students pounding at the door begging to give them thousands of dollars, and yet they turn them away.
Um, capacity? When the student brings $800 to the table and the government is paying the rest of the cost, the government won't let the college grow enough to take everybody.

Also, employers learn about schools with lower admission standards but also low fail out rates and devalue those degree,
Exactly. It's the selectivity that matters, not whether the school makes a profit. For-profit schools tend to be particularly unselective, true; but that's because it's what we as a society have incentivized them to do. If we allowed bankruptcy to free people from their student loan debt burdens, then we'd probably see lenders start lending only to students entering programs likely to benefit them, and that in turn would make the for-profit schools start growing some standards.

just as they do and rationally should devalue the application of anyone with a college degree at all, because degrees are an indicator of cognitive knowledge and skills.
Which is all very well when you're comparing two kids with no track records. When you're comparing people with twenty years of industry experience it makes about as much sense as judging them by their high school grades.

The people making the admissions decisions at public colleges (and their supervisors) gain virtually nothing by admitting more students. In fact they hurt themselves, because the instructors quite rightly have considerable collective power (unlike profit schools where they have zero power and are just hourly wage earners). Instructors can and would rail against administrators who ruined the quality of instruction by allowing anyone willing to pay into their classrooms. All of that extra tuition income would just go towards having to build new buildings or hire new instructors. It doesn't go directly into anyone's personal bank account or market shares,
But it does make layoffs less likely; and it makes the government care more if the professors' union goes on strike. In any event, at my father's school the experience was that letting in anyone willing to pay improved the standards. The people who paid their way in were the foreign students; the subsidized students were local. All the students there were there because they couldn't get into their preferred school; and the students rejected by the University of Hong Kong were better than the students rejected by the good local public colleges.

in favor of people who learned their skills from listening to lectures on postmodern literary criticism,

Ah, can you show me a degree where student only take courses in literary criticism? First, I don't deny that the core coursework in some majors are not that useful for anything but teaching those same courses you took. But even the lamest of majors usually require general ed breadth requirements in science, math, reading comprehension, etc.. that not only convey useful knowledge but more importantly help develop thinking skills that have general utility (skills that would help you make better and more evidence-based arguments).
I.e., having a college degree shows you at least took Rocks For Jocks. It's not clear that that's enough to develop thinking skills.

there are going to be a lot of institutions giving out a lot of fake credentials,

The number is exponentially increased when low qualify institutions giving out fake credentials can attract students with subsidized loans. Thus, the government should make an effort to exclude all subsidized loans from being used at institutions that do not use standards to determine who gets those credentials, and since direct profit for every students given the credential undermines using any standards, and for profit schools are by definition motivated primarily by increasing profits (and are held liable by shareholders if they do anything but increase profits), targeting those schools for loan exclusion is highly rational and will have the greatest effect in reducing college credentials fraud.
So why are you arguing with me? We're practically on the same page. I proposed

"(2) have our government go to the effort of investigating institutes to see if they're actually training people effectively and stop paying people to go to ones that aren't"

and you promptly bit my head off. If you want to use profit-making as a criterion, that's probably fine in the current environment, subject to review when some of the for-profit colleges start doing a good job; but we can extend the same principle further. Excluding subsidies for students to get loans they'll struggle for decades to pay back with their non-fraudulent accredited degrees in medieval poetry is also highly rational.

You haven't offered any evidence that profit motive is scam motive.

It is true by the definition of profit and scam, and I explained why. Profit is taking from people more in value than the other party receives from you. Any motive to increase profit is thus a motive to do things that make the other party willing to give you more in value than you give them, which is psychologically implausible unless the other party wrongly believes they are getting equal or greater value than what they give. Thus, manufacturing these wrong beliefs in the other party is among the few things one can do to satisfy profit motives, and manufacturing such beliefs is the definition of a scam.
... the guy types, into his computer, which he paid for voluntarily, even though he knew the seller was making a profit, which means he knew he was being scammed, which means he wrongly believed he was getting equal or greater value than what he gave, and he knew it. Your theory has implications that are psychologically implausible. I didn't say you hadn't explained why it's true; I said you hadn't offered any evidence. An explanation that consists merely of definitions from your ideology's peculiar metaphysics no more qualifies as evidence than quoting the Bible at me.

Your explanation relies on the premise that there exists some objective quantity you call "value" that behaves like an incompressible fluid, which is passed back and forth in exchanges; and it relies on the premise that profit is the net flow of this fluid. What evidence do you have that this quantity exists? Is it an observable? How can it be measured? What evidence is there that it has the properties you attribute to it? Why should we agree to use the noun "value" for it? That noun is already in use to refer to the degree to which some subject values an object. Are you claiming that how much people value things is determined by the quantity of this supposed fluid they contain? If you can't establish that, then we should give your metaphysical substance a different name. Until you can show it has something to do with how much people value stuff, let us call it "la Quantité Incompressible".

Last edited:
These for profit schools have earned their reputation. Their attendees don't finish 2/3 of the time. Their prices are high and their curriculum is shallow. There really is no way I can defend these creatures of greed. College loans for attendance at these schools are sub prime loans and the loan officers making these loans should be investigated.

Back
Top Bottom