• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

The Force Awakens.

I'm guessing the New Republic stormtrooper and the female Luke Skywalker are going to be the central characters.

I want two things from this movie:
1. The Star Wars aesthetic.
2. A decent story, told well.

Episodes 1-3 failed on both counts.

I have no doubt that the new trilogy is going to be better than the original, now that Lucas is out of the picture.

I have no doubt that the new trilogy is going to be better than the original, now that Lucas is out of the picture.

He's still the executive producer isn't he?

Myself, I can't help but wish this new trilogy wasn't being made. The existing two trilogies seem to mirror each other and ROTJ rounds everything off nicely. I guess I could like this more if it wasn't epvii.

He's still the executive producer isn't he?

Myself, I can't help but wish this new trilogy wasn't being made. The existing two trilogies seem to mirror each other and ROTJ rounds everything off nicely. I guess I could like this more if it wasn't epvii.

Same here.

I don' t have any pull toward the new trilogy.

The old ones were serialized and they told a complete story.

These are just meandering new tales with characters I don't know and have no interest in.

I'm not crazy about the fact that the first movie will focus on Luke, Han, and Leia. I would have preferred if the entire trilogy focused on the new characters and the older characters comprised a side story. It seems like giving the old characters an entire movie to themselves is an attempt to give fans what they think we want in a way that will make the overall trilogy less by reducing our emotional investment in the new characters, which is where the focus should be.

I'm not crazy about the fact that the first movie will focus on Luke, Han, and Leia. I would have preferred if the entire trilogy focused on the new characters and the older characters comprised a side story. It seems like giving the old characters an entire movie to themselves is an attempt to give fans what they think we want in a way that will make the overall trilogy less by reducing our emotional investment in the new characters, which is where the focus should be.
Agreed. Then again, it could be partially a marketing trick and the movie isn't really going to be that focused on the old geezers, apart from a few nods to the fans.

Agreed. Then again, it could be partially a marketing trick and the movie isn't really going to be that focused on the old geezers, apart from a few nods to the fans.

It could also be the case that the filmmakers' minds are being controlled by cyborg vampires and they are not saying this about the future movies of their own free will, but for now I am content to take their words at face value.

It could also be the case that the filmmakers' minds are being controlled by cyborg vampires and they are not saying this about the future movies of their own free will, but for now I am content to take their words at face value.
Yeah, I guess I was just trying to be an optimist... the first movie will likely suck balls. And at least some of the old cast is going to be killed for dramatic purposes. YAWN.

Yeah, I guess I was just trying to be an optimist... the first movie will likely suck balls. And at least some of the old cast is going to be killed for dramatic purposes. YAWN.

The first movie could be great and it would still be a problem because going into the second movie, we won't be as emotionally invested in the new characters as we would have been had episode 7 concentrated on them in the first place.

I am quite hopeful about this. It's good that Lucas won't be writing it (shame that he wrote any of it) and the teaser trailer is intriguing. Also are the story leaks I've read elsewhere on the net. Spoiler alert:

Apparently, the Republic is doing something the Empire did.

I will say no more.

They're offering governmentally funded universal health care to their citizens?

Jedis need to kill those fools.

Also, Apple spellcheck changes Jedis to Jesus. That's appropriate.

The teaser doesn't tell us diddly, but I'm confident JJ Abrams will do a good job. He's right for Star Wars for all the same reasons he was wrong for Star Trek.

The teaser doesn't tell us diddly, but I'm confident JJ Abrams will do a good job. He's right for Star Wars for all the same reasons he was wrong for Star Trek.
What's everybody beef with his Star Trek? I found Into Darkness wasn't a bad movie.
(at the same time, it was one of the first Star Trek I ever watched while I'm a Star Wars fanboy, so that might support your opinion)
(or it's just my sci-fi tastes tend to be at odd with the majority, e.g. I liked Alien Resurection)

What's everybody beef with his Star Trek? I found Into Darkness wasn't a bad movie.
(at the same time, it was one of the first Star Trek I ever watched while I'm a Star Wars fanboy, so that might support your opinion)
(or it's just my sci-fi tastes tend to be at odd with the majority, e.g. I liked Alien Resurection)

As a life long Star Trek fan, I enjoyed both of the new movies. On the other hand, I also enjoyed Voyager, and did not like DS9, so many Trekkies would disavow me for either one of those stances.

As a life long Star Trek fan, I enjoyed both of the new movies. On the other hand, I also enjoyed Voyager, and did not like DS9, so many Trekkies would disavow me for either one of those stances.
Yeah, you can go straight to starchy hell with that. ;)

JJ Abrams will make an entertaining and polished film that could have been better.

Yeah, you can go straight to starchy hell with that. ;)

JJ Abrams will make an entertaining and polished film that could have been better.
Suits me fine for a Star Wars movie - that's exactly my feeling (less the polished part, plus the innovative, new world created part) about the original trilogy.

Star-Wars-7-Crossguard-Lightsaber.jpg
I think this new lightsabor is gonna ruin it for me. I don't know if I can be motivated to go to the theater. Are the torrent files up yet? When will netflix have it?

JJ Abrahms is a little too bling bling for my tastes and his action scenes are over the top.

Back
Top Bottom