• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

The funniest review ever

I was contemplating getting a Roomba. Might have to think more seriously about it now. :)

Thanks for the giggle.

I read a similar (and possibly funnier) story of a poop-flinging Roomba prior to buying one. The Pooptastrophe I bought it nonetheless (we have cats that puke from time to time, but no dogs). This story (that apparently happens to others as well) convinced us to not utilize the scheduling feature designed for it to clean daily while we were at work or sleeping. Prior to letting it loose, we need to find and pickup all the cat toys laying around that could get jammed, and slightly rearrange some of the furniture to provide access to 'behind the couch' and to some otherwise hard to reach corners... and pickup any puke piles, of course. Apart from that, it is a great tool.

Pros:

works perfectly at vacuuming the floors (hardwood, carpet, and rugs.. all easily transitioned between).
gets under the bed and cleans places that have basically never been cleaned before.. a plus I didn't even think about until it disappeared under our bed and stayed there until it came out covered in cobwebs with a full bin.
Once it is done vacuuming, it shuts off its brushes and uses its motorized wheels only to navigate back to its base for recharging (all automatic). At this point, the cats get very interested in it and follow it all the way back home.

Cons:

You still need to vacuum your couches, ceiling fans, TV, and basically anything in the house not laying flat on the floor.
It's slow... a quick hand-vacuuming of your living room before company comes might take you 5 minutes, tops. 30 minutes with the Roomba.
scares the shit out of cats. I have no idea how those YouTube cats sitting on them in spacesuits do it. But once the blower shuts off and it is just a small electric vehicle, see 'pros'.

Tips:

run it frequently - it picks up all the dirt and its bin will fill up before it is done, if left unused for too long.
de-clutter.... it works best uninterrupted by objects that can get jammed in its brushes.
re-orient.. some of your furniture may need to move and inch or so here or there to allow the device to pass by, under, or over.. or just be able to operate more efficiently by providing a simple path
you can pick up the device (and it cries "put me down!" - seriously) and take it to another room and it happily complies with "clean the house", even being trapped in a smaller area.

... you can pick up the device (and it cries "put me down!" - seriously) and take it to another room and it happily complies with "clean the house", even being trapped in a smaller area.

Might have to report you to the SPCR, you meanie. That it complies does not mean it's happy - it has no choice, it's trapped. Wild things need their space!

I was contemplating getting a Roomba. Might have to think more seriously about it now. :)

Thanks for the giggle.

I read a similar (and possibly funnier) story of a poop-flinging Roomba prior to buying one. The Pooptastrophe I bought it nonetheless (we have cats that puke from time to time, but no dogs). This story (that apparently happens to others as well) convinced us to not utilize the scheduling feature designed for it to clean daily while we were at work or sleeping. Prior to letting it loose, we need to find and pickup all the cat toys laying around that could get jammed, and slightly rearrange some of the furniture to provide access to 'behind the couch' and to some otherwise hard to reach corners... and pickup any puke piles, of course. Apart from that, it is a great tool.

Pros:

works perfectly at vacuuming the floors (hardwood, carpet, and rugs.. all easily transitioned between).
gets under the bed and cleans places that have basically never been cleaned before.. a plus I didn't even think about until it disappeared under our bed and stayed there until it came out covered in cobwebs with a full bin.
Once it is done vacuuming, it shuts off its brushes and uses its motorized wheels only to navigate back to its base for recharging (all automatic). At this point, the cats get very interested in it and follow it all the way back home.

Cons:

You still need to vacuum your couches, ceiling fans, TV, and basically anything in the house not laying flat on the floor.
It's slow... a quick hand-vacuuming of your living room before company comes might take you 5 minutes, tops. 30 minutes with the Roomba.
scares the shit out of cats. I have no idea how those YouTube cats sitting on them in spacesuits do it. But once the blower shuts off and it is just a small electric vehicle, see 'pros'.

Tips:

run it frequently - it picks up all the dirt and its bin will fill up before it is done, if left unused for too long.
de-clutter.... it works best uninterrupted by objects that can get jammed in its brushes.
re-orient.. some of your furniture may need to move and inch or so here or there to allow the device to pass by, under, or over.. or just be able to operate more efficiently by providing a simple path
you can pick up the device (and it cries "put me down!" - seriously) and take it to another room and it happily complies with "clean the house", even being trapped in a smaller area.

Thanks... I don't think we will get one as poor Bilby would have to follow it around and empty it every 5 minutes simply because we can do a thorough vacuum of our house and 5 minutes later we have dust bunnies again due to Dog hair!

Pros:

Cons:

Tips:

Thanks... I don't think we will get one as poor Bilby would have to follow it around and empty it every 5 minutes simply because we can do a thorough vacuum of our house and 5 minutes later we have dust bunnies again due to Dog hair!

Hey, when did it become MY job to hypothetically supervise the Roomba we don't have?

Hey, when did it become MY job to hypothetically supervise the Roomba we don't have?

Umm, because I don't work at home! :p

We found ours, before it died, worked really well on pet hair.

How noisy are those Roombas? I've never seen one in action.

Depending on the conditions in your home, I would say yes.

Back
Top Bottom