• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

The hush money indictment

House Speaker Mike Johnson called this day “a shameful day in American history.” He said that the justice system is being weaponized against Trump and that this trial is “a purely political exercise, not a legal one.”
I would like to see Mike Johnson, second in line to the Presidency, be put in a room with those jurors and explain it to them.

These people are more dangerous to our country than Trump. He may be the ignition but they are the accelerants.

And now, where is Trump's official residence? If officially, Florida, Trump cannot vote. Not until, he has been sentenced and served his sentence. Florida also bars felons from holding realtor licenses. Could get messy. Sentencing is due to take place on July 11.

Actually, I think that he will be able to vote if he isn't sentenced to prison. Florida doesn't allow felons in prison to vote, but those convicted of felony may be able to vote while appeals are pending or if they don't get actual prison time. I don't know if that is actually true about Florida, but we'll learn more as time goes on. Once Trump goes to prison, he won't be able to vote until he gets out and pays off all of his fines. It's a stupid law. Everyone should have the right to vote. There aren't that many felons to be a serious threat to swinging elections. Most felons probably have no interest in voting, since that is usually motivated by a sense of civic responsibility.

More and more. Live updates: Donald Trump hush money trial verdict

Chuck Schumer on X: "No one is above the law. The verdict speaks for itself." / X - the Senate Majority Leader

"Trump attorney Todd Blanche outlines appeal arguments"
“Every single person on the jury knew Donald Trump as president, as candidate, from ‘The Apprentice’ so I don’t accept that this was a fair place to try President Trump,” Blanche said.
So the only fair juror is someone who does not know who Donald Trump is? That's an impossibly high bar.

Alana Evans, friend of Stormy Daniels and an adult film star told CNN’s Abby Phillip that she — and Daniels — absolutely feels vindicated by Trump’s guilty verdict, calling it a “joyous day.”

Stormy Daniels’ attorney Clark Brewster said his client was “really emotional” following former President Donald Trump’s guilty verdict in the hush money case.

He told CNN’s Kaitlan Collins that Daniels faced the “realization of the finality” and had “a lot of emotions flowing.”

So between now and sentencing Trump will have to (just like any other felon) meet with his probation officer who will prepare a pre-sentence report about him. I suppose this will keep Trump in New York. I can't imagine the probation officer will be obliged to travel to Florida. I envision Trump in the probation officer's crappy little office, sitting on the other side of a metal desk on one of those chairs that slowly hisses the air out when you sit on it.
So the pre-sentence interview is Trump's chance to make a good impression. Good luck with that.
I read the court can order physical and mental examinations. Considering Trump's conduct/comments, might a mental examination be warranted?

More and more. Live updates: Donald Trump hush money trial verdict

Chuck Schumer on X: "No one is above the law. The verdict speaks for itself." / X - the Senate Majority Leader

"Trump attorney Todd Blanche outlines appeal arguments"
“Every single person on the jury knew Donald Trump as president, as candidate, from ‘The Apprentice’ so I don’t accept that this was a fair place to try President Trump,” Blanche said.
So the only fair juror is someone who does not know who Donald Trump is? That's an impossibly high bar.

Alana Evans, friend of Stormy Daniels and an adult film star told CNN’s Abby Phillip that she — and Daniels — absolutely feels vindicated by Trump’s guilty verdict, calling it a “joyous day.”

Stormy Daniels’ attorney Clark Brewster said his client was “really emotional” following former President Donald Trump’s guilty verdict in the hush money case.

He told CNN’s Kaitlan Collins that Daniels faced the “realization of the finality” and had “a lot of emotions flowing.”
Yeah, like, the society has a right to a justice system that can bring consequences to the actions even if very famous people.

The appeal argument presented sounds a lot like "oh no, the consequences of my actions" as read in a weak Cartman voice.

If you spoil an entire society with knowledge of who you are and what you have done, you must accept the consequence of this, even if it means trials becomes hard for you to navigate.

If Aileen Cannon is not in a suitably "favorable" district that she needs to refuse and send it to a less biased judge, Manhattan is not a suitably "unfavorable" one.

Now that Trump can no longer carry a firearm, he should be arrested the next time he shoots his mouth off.

I heard on the news that when it comes to sentencing Trump the judge will have to take into account that he is a first time offender (no prior criminal record). I would think that the judge would have to take into consideration that when Trump committed his crimes he had a top official position, that should make him more responsible, and therefore subject to greater punishment.

I heard on the news that when it comes to sentencing Trump the judge will have to take into account that he is a first time offender (no prior criminal record). I would think that the judge would have to take into consideration that when Trump committed his crimes he had a top official position, that should make him more responsible, and therefore subject to greater punishment.
Also the 14 violations of the gag order...the fact that Cohen did real prison time on 3 of the same indictments. I wonder if Merchan could or should cite what actual sentences have entailed for similar defendants (besides Cohen) with this many guilty verdicts. No matter what he says, our Repub friends will go apeshit crazy, so there's no fixing that. Best to be honest and back up your decision with solid legal reasoning.

Yeah, that is doubtful. The Judge isn't going to want to be reversed by an appellate court. Honestly, while I think jail time seems like an unreasonable thing to expect against Trump, I have no idea what would happen. A fine of $100k would be a drop in the bucket, that Trump's supporters will pay (Who needs a charity to pilfer, when you've got a PAC?). Jail time, seems so unlikely. Is community service a thing? Have Trump pick up the trash in Van Cortlandt Park on Sundays for a year?

So, Michael cohen committed a crime. Trump committed another crime to cover up that crime. Cohen went to jail for that crime. If Trump doesn’t go to jail for the cover up perhaps Biden should pardon Cohen. Because apparently the crime isn’t that bad of a crime, according to Trump’s Republican friends. Like going 57 mph in a 55 zone. Technically a violation but hardly worth the court’s time.

Back
Top Bottom