• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

The killing of Ma’Khia Bryant

Metaphor

Banned
Banned
No doubt you've heard about this already. This article does a moderately honest job of relaying the facts, though it took 8 paragraphs for the Guardian to mention that Bryant had rushed another female and was about to stab her with a knife.

Of course, some people on Twitter think the officer should have....let Bryant stab and kill a black girl? The officer has already been doxxed, because of course he has.

EzgJK9RXoAQN__M

“I suppose it is tempting, if the only tool you have is a hammer, to treat everything as if it were a nail." - Abraham Maslow

This video has a whole press conference but at 4:25 mark it has the officer body cam video. Later on it has some other videos from other officers.

These stills show her with a knife ready to strike at the girl in pink.

This video has a whole press conference but at 4:25 mark it has the officer body cam video. Later on it has some other videos from other officers.

These stills show her with a knife ready to strike at the girl in pink.

right on, thank you for posting an image.
the only way to fix this is kill me black people?
crayons?

i saw the video and actually agree that the officer was in the right on this one. at least she wasn't shot in the back while running away and not immediately threatening someone with a deadly weapon. i think i heard NPR say that it was Bryant who called the police in the first place.

police do not need to respond to every emergency and THAT is the real goal of the defund the police movement. it's just really poor marketing.

one side will say "look at the cops murdering all the black people" and the other side will say "see cops are right to use force" and both side is way too stupid to understand the difference in the cases.

i saw the video and actually agree that the officer was in the right on this one. at least she wasn't shot in the back while running away and not immediately threatening someone with a deadly weapon. i think i heard NPR say that it was Bryant who called the police in the first place.

police do not need to respond to every emergency and THAT is the real goal of the defund the police movement. it's just really poor marketing.

one side will say "look at the cops murdering all the black people" and the other side will say "see cops are right to use force" and both side is way too stupid to understand the difference in the cases.

I agree with you that the left is the worst at marketing! The worst. However, I've never understood the no need for the police to respond to "every" emergency argument! If I call 911 because I'm in trouble: who should be sent to my house? I think that it should be someone with training in how to access an uncertain circumstance, be trained in first aid, be trained in how to deescalate circumstances, some training in mental illness, be able to put down a bad guy, and be willing to work for cheap (because tax payers are cheap). To me, the answer is clear: the local police.

I agree with you that the left is the worst at marketing! The worst. However, I've never understood the no need for the police to respond to "every" emergency argument! If I call 911 because I'm in trouble: who should be sent to my house? I think that it should be someone with training in how to access an uncertain circumstance, be trained in first aid, be trained in how to deescalate circumstances, some training in mental illness, be able to put down a bad guy, and be willing to work for cheap (because tax payers are cheap). To me, the answer is clear: the local police.

All depends on why you called 911. Is someone trying to break into your house? Is your partner depressed and suicidal and you need help talking them off the ledge? Is your autistic son having a breakdown?

If police were actually trained and good at deescalation and dealing with mental illness then sending cops to everything is fine. However, that just isn't the case anymore. If we can demilitarize the police and stop training them like their going to war, that's a good first step. Just getting more cops and buying them more/bigger guns isn't going to fix. Maybe put more money into incentivizing cops to actually live in the community they police. Pay police more and develop of culture of service and protection rather training cops to keep people in line.

I'm not really for defunding or abolishing or whatever. I'm for figuring out what actually works and what is the correct solution. The way we're going now isn't good enough.

All depends on why you called 911. Is someone trying to break into your house? Is your partner depressed and suicidal and you need help talking them off the ledge? Is your autistic son having a breakdown?

If police were actually trained and good at deescalation and dealing with mental illness then sending cops to everything is fine. However, that just isn't the case anymore. If we can demilitarize the police and stop training them like their going to war, that's a good first step. Just getting more cops and buying them more/bigger guns isn't going to fix. Maybe put more money into incentivizing cops to actually live in the community they police. Pay police more and develop of culture of service and protection rather training cops to keep people in line.

I'm not really for defunding or abolishing or whatever. I'm for figuring out what actually works and what is the correct solution. The way we're going now isn't good enough.

Harry, if i were a 911 operator and you called and said "I'm in trouble.", I'd refer you to Planned Parenthood. ;)
Aside from the right training, the nonagressive, deescalation training that some law enforcement do do, they need to weed out and stop hiring these Rambo types, those with aggressive type personalities. All the proper training in the world isn't going to change who they are. They're assholes. Always and forever. And they have no business being placed in a position of authority.

She's not the one that called, someone in the house did.

That being said, the more I think about the case the more it bothers me--if she was as reported a good student this represents a pretty extreme departure from that. I have also read she was in foster care. I'm thinking she was being made the victim and whoever was taking care of her didn't care until it looked like blood might be spilled.

That being said, the police acted properly. The rolled up on her attacking someone with a knife. There's no time to resolve that peacefully.

So, in your conception of "defund the police" -- which, again, has it's ideological roots in the prison/police *abolition* movement, so I gotta ask -- would police not have responded to this particular call?

The outcome, then, would have probably been a serious stabbing injury, with a high likelihood of death.

While the lunatic left continues calls to 'say her name', Lebron James doxxes the police officer, NBC deceptively frames the story to downplay the knife, this footage has emerged of Bryant's attempted stabbing from another angle.

Back
Top Bottom