• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

The left eats JK Rowling over transgender comments

Are those lies not discoverable to be lies?

Depend on the case.

How, precisely, would you discover that somebody lied about their gender unless they openly admit it?

Again, depends on the case. The reality is, in most cases it doesn't fucking matter. There isn't much reason to call it into question. But with the dude who committed fraud on his identification for the insurance reduction, if he gets involved in a serious accident and either needs to make a claim or a claim is made against him, then the insurance company may press the issue. And if it's revealed that the only facet of his life which has a female gender identity is his driver's license, let's say, then should it become a legal dispute, he may be flat fucked. Or if you were using your passport to commit some other form of fraud (like sneaking someone into the country), then again, fucked. The burden of proof isn't the same in all matters.

Indeed, what if you say specifically "my gender for purposes of this document is x, but for other purposes, my gender is y". Is that a lie?

Possibly. There are some cases where you can't update all of your identification to make it the same. Each one requires a declaration that the information you provided was true. I had to make a statutory declaration to change my sex marker changed from M to F on my birth certificate. When I renewed my license, I also had to verify that the information provided was accurate. If I left the sex designation as M despite the fact that ICBC allows me to change it, one of those statements would very likely have to be false.

For insurance purposes,

a transman who is on testosterone is more or less of a risk of getting into car accidents?

For insurance purposes,

a transman who is on testosterone is more or less of a risk of getting into car accidents?

Insurance companies would have to collect the information on trans status first, and I'll bet trans activists absolutely do not want that to happen.

Yes, I will say it's not 'normal', in the understanding that 'normal' is representative of the general expectation of human variation that is common to see. I myself am not normal with respect to my brain function, in that sometimes it goes haywire and I fall down on the floor and flop about for a while. Whether it's a psychological disorder without a physical cause, or whether it's a physical disorder causing psychological symptoms is really a bit irrelevant to me. It's perfectly acceptable to not be normal. It's perfectly acceptable to be an outlier - almost everyone is an outlier in some respect or other. I rather disagree with the core concept of trying to insist that the thing one is an outlier for is 'perfectly normal'. It's not, and that's okay. Don't try to force it to be 'normal'.

I don't strongly disagree with any of that in principle, but I might have some concerns about where it goes to. For one thing, I think the "perfectly acceptable to be an outlier" part is a bit idealistic. I speak as someone whose abnormality was nothing to do with gender, but was chronic depression (until controlled by medication). Do you think I should have stood in front of the mirror every day and convinced myself that (a) I wasn't depressed or (b) it wasn't a problem?

As for real? Depends on what you mean. It's clearly a real problem for some people, it's clearly a discomfort and stress that some people experience. Whether or not it's 'real' that they have a different gendered person trapped inside the wrong body... meh. I don't think so, in part because that presupposes a mind-body duality that I'm not really behind.

It doesn't suppose a mind-body duality even slightly.

And partly because the differences in male and female brains are pretty much immaterial and have no real meaning once plasticity and experience are accounted for.

I don't know what you mean there, by 'differences in brains'. I think you may mean fixed brain structure. But we've already agreed that the differences might not be to do with that. A drinking glass filled with beer and a drinking glass filled with water have the exact same glass structure but as as combos they are two different things. Also, brain plasticity. How is that not about brain differences?

I don't think there's actually a "gender identity" that is an innate part of a person. I think it's a social thing - I think all identities are social. Black identity, gay identity, brunette identity, left-handed identity... these aren't innate things in and of themselves, they're artifacts of society creating inept definitions of people in boxes that few (if any of use) actually fit. We're all various shapes of round in societies comprised of nice neat square holes. Some of us can fit into some of the holes without too much pain or discomfort... but none of us actually truly fit our boxes.

Obviously, there will be influential social aspects to such things. But the claim that social factors fully explain them is not, imo, likely true, and seems to me to be becoming less and less likely to be true every year that genetics (and understandings about innate dispositions and how nature interacts with nurture) is proceeding. Homosexuality and left-handedness are social constructs? Really? I think you're taking the social/nurture/environment model a bit too far.

Last edited:
Address the actual argument, not this bigoted bullshit. If you're not safe, secure or private when there is another woman in your bathroom or locker room then you have no fucking argument.

Trans women are men, and having men in your locker room, if you are a woman, can feel threatening.

Whether, and in what sense, trans women are men is irrelevant to the fact that trans women are being targeted for sexual abuse by cis men at even higher rates than cis women. So even if we grant you that "trans women are men, period", the potential harm done by some cis women feeling threatened has to be weighed against the harm done to trans women by men.

I'm pretty sure we have a winner there.

Whether, and in what sense, trans women are men is irrelevant to the fact that trans women are being targeted for sexual abuse by cis men at even higher rates than cis women.

Even if that were true - and you haven't produced any evidence - that isn't the problem of cis women.

So even if we grant you that "trans women are men, period",

It's a fact, whether you grant it or not.

the potential harm done by some cis women feeling threatened has to be weighed against the harm done to trans women by men.

So, your argument is that because cis men are a danger to trans women (that is, trans-identified men), it is right to violate the safety and comfort of cis women?

That sounds like some epic male privilege.

Even if that were true - and you haven't produced any evidence - that isn't the problem of cis women.

the potential harm done by some cis women feeling threatened has to be weighed against the harm done to trans women by men.

So, your argument is that because cis men are a danger to trans women (that is, trans-identified men), it is right to violate the safety and comfort of cis women?

That sounds like some epic male privilege.

No, I'm saying that a real threat of being gang-raped a sole trans woman in a locker room full of cis men faces is, well, more real than the vague discomfort (not an actual threat in the vast majority of cases) a room full of cis women might feel seeing a sole trans woman.

Not because one's a man and the other's a woman, but because one and only one situation actually represents a serious threat.

No, I'm saying that a real threat of being gang-raped a sole trans woman in a locker room full of cis men faces is, well, more real than the vague discomfort (not an actual threat in the vast majority of cases) a room full of cis women might feel seeing a sole trans woman.

Not because one's a man and the other's a woman, but because one and only one situation actually represents a serious threat.

More "real"?

How many trans women have been gang-raped in men's locker rooms?

Jokodo said:
So even if we grant you that "trans women are men, period",

If you are going to go as far as calling your own personal opinions facts, what is the point of even having a discussion? There isn't one.

A man is an adult human male. Trans women are adult human males. These are facts.

But, don't worry. For everybody who utters facts in the trans debate, there will be ten people who utter semantic nonsense like "Trans Women Are Women". For extra points, a clap emoji is really a good enhancement. This means that you are super-duper serious about your semantic nonsense.

Trans:clapping:Women:clapping:Are:clapping:Women:clapping:

Wow, are you living under a rock?

Wow, do you not know how to read? I wrote (emphasis added so as to make sure you didn't miss it again):

Show me one professional female athlete who is raising any issue at all regarding the .000000001% chance of a transgender male to female taking over their sport--or the masses of scholarships that are being taken away from anyone--for this to even remotely be considered any kind of real world harm and maybe you'd have some semblance of a point...

You responded by posting the following links: Laurel Hubbard. This link refers to a New Zealand based lobby group called “Speak Up For Women” raising the issue. Speak Up is made up of:

Our group includes teachers, academics, health professionals, care workers, activists, lawyers, corporates, retirees, and students.

Next you posted: Veronica Ivy. This link is just about how the cycling world has restructured their testosterone limits in regard to transgendered competitors:

Transgender athletes have been able to compete in the Olympics since 2004 but under the requirement they had undergone gender confirmation surgery and been on hormone therapy for two years.

In 2015, these rules were relaxed to remove the need for surgery and the athletes must have a testosterone level below 10nmol/L for at least 12 months prior to their first competition. The average range for adult females is 0.52 to 2.8 nmol/L, with levels above 2.7 described as the “upper limit of normal.”

But this 10nmol/L limit will now be halved to 5nmol/L under the new rule.

The reason given for the 5nmol/L testosterone level is because the threshold may be higher than the levels often found in women, (between 0 and 1.7 nmol/L) but most transgender women’s testosterone level is typically well below the 5 nmol/L limit.

Then you posted this link: Mary Gregory. This link is about a transgender powerlifter who was stripped of her titles because she had not yet completed her transition:

A transgender woman from Virginia who set world records in a powerlifting competition last month has been stripped of those titles, after sports officials determined she had not completed her transition from male to female....According to news reports, Ms. Gregory had completed 11 months of a 12-month hormone therapy regimen to reduce her testosterone at the time of the competition.

The article further noted something the previous article mentioned as well, that there are evidently plans of creating a transgender category:

In future competitions, she will compete in her own category.

“The lifter will be placed in a different category once the Transgender Division is introduced with a new policy,” the federation said in a statement posted on its website.

You then posted: Andraya Yearwood and Terry Miller. This link is about a high school girl in Connecticut complaining that the State does not have a similar hormone test:

Soule, a Glastonbury High School junior, believes the Connecticut Interscholastic Athletic Conference (CIAC) policy that allows transgender girls to compete in girls’ sports without any hormone treatment is unfair.
Experts in girls’ sports and Title IX, the federal law that requires that women have equal access to sports, believe Soule and other cisgender athletes could have a valid complaint. They point out that both the NCAA and the Olympic Committee require transgender women to receive hormone treatment for at least a year and be tested for testosterone levels. The CIAC does not require either.

So their complaint isn't that transgendered are allowed to compete; it is that they aren't following the rules already established. Of further note, their complaint is being pushed by a notoriously conservative "Christian" hate group ironically called the Alliance Defending Freedom:

It’s a rift that has been driven even deeper by the involvement of the Alliance Defending Freedom, the group that filed the Title IX complaint on behalf of Soule and two other female athletes. The ADF has opposed allowing transgender girls in traditional girls-only spaces, including bathrooms and locker rooms.

Alliance Defending Freedom:

Founded by some 30 leaders of the Christian Right, the Alliance Defending Freedom is a legal advocacy and training group that has supported the recriminalization of sexual acts between consenting LGBTQ adults in the U.S. and criminalization abroad; has defended state-sanctioned sterilization of trans people abroad; has contended that LGBTQ people are more likely to engage in pedophilia; and claims that a “homosexual agenda” will destroy Christianity and society. ADF also works to develop “religious liberty” legislation and case law that will allow the denial of goods and services to LGBTQ people on the basis of religion. Since the election of President Trump, ADF has become one of the most influential groups informing the administration’s attack on LGBTQ rights.

So, nice going :thumbsup:

You want to play the "forced segregation" game?

No, but you clearly do:

Okay fine. I want sports divisions that are divided on the basis of sex to maintain that division.

You've got your wish.

Because you what happens when you make it all co-ed?

Competition increases and some people win and some people lose?

Guess who never gets to play?

Never? Never-ever?

Now, if you want to redefine the classes on some other basis that makes it make sense - weight classes, testosterone levels, whatever, then I'm fine with that.

And lo and behold, once again, you got your wish. Too bad you didn't actually read the articles you posted before posting them.

But at the end of the day, there are actual real physical differences between males and females of the human species.

Then how was it possible for any female athlete to break Mark Spitz's records? Or for any female athlete to EVER beat any other male athlete at anything ever-ever?

You know who ALSO loses to male athletes? Other male athletes. So how are we going to handicap the best of the best so all those other male athletes get their chance to win a scholarship or a gold medal? Or don't skills matter? Don't you care just as passionately for the millions of lesser (male) athletes who also don't get scholarships because of better male athletes?

MOST sports are about one's skills, not just one's bone density or muscle mass. But at the same time, most such "biological" conditions are not steady-state, or, once again, no woman would have EVER broken any male's records. So what happened between the time Mark Spitz set his records and the women who broke them years later? It sure as shit wasn't a remarkable quantum leap in evolution that just magically compressed hundreds of thousands of years of evolution into a few decades.

More likely, it was the shift in cultural attitudes that allowed women to compete at all that in turn meant there was a skill set learning curve to catch up on and once they did, guess what happened? Mark Spitz's records were broken by women athletes.

Do you also think that Affirmative Action is a bad idea

Joy! More irony. No, I don't, because (a) whataboutism is a fallacy and (b) the reason for AA was due to systemic racism deliberately stopping the best of the best from competing openly. Iow, it was necessary to force white people from choosing other white people over better qualified applicants of color, so by raising that as an analogy to what YOU are advocating here, you are ironically arguing that female athletes who ARE better than their male counterparts should nevertheless be forced to only compete against other women so that no woman can ever surpass another man, no matter how much better she may be at a sport than he is.

Horseshit. How do you not feel safe by another woman being in your locker room? Your bigoted ignorance about transgendered people does not translate into you not being safe or secure (or private for that matter).
Address the actual argument, not this bigoted bullshit. If you're not safe, secure or private when there is another woman in your bathroom or locker room then you have no fucking argument.

It's not other women that's the concern. It's people with penises.

Aaaaand we're back to your bigoted ignorance about transgendered people. YOU are really talking about predators. You aren't coming right out and saying it, but that is what you are actually talking about:

it's people who appear to be men being in our spaces while we're naked. If a transwoman is even moderately passing, it's unlikely to be a problem for other women, unless they're waggling their penis around. But when a person who looks like a man comes into a place where women are naked and vulnerable, it's something that women worry about.

Once again, what transgendered person has EVER done anything even remotely like "waggling their penis around" in a woman's locker room?

You are talking about a completely different subject that has zero to do with transgendered people.

If you aren't a professional female athlete arguing that your livelihood is somehow being taken away by the millions of transgender athletes that are now plotting to undergo operations just to steal your trophy, then you have no fucking argument.
By your standard here, you also don't have a right to an opinion on this topic.

See, that's the problem with tu quoque and why it's a fallacy, but thank you for tacitly understanding that since neither of us have exclusive rights to opine on the matter, you can't pull that bullshit about me not being female again as an attempt to dismiss my points.

Last edited:
For insurance purposes,

Insurance companies would have to collect the information on trans status first, and I'll bet trans activists absolutely do not want that to happen.

Or maybe they want the egalitarian thing and to see sex and gender no longer be usable in insurance calculation. Then the point is moot. You get something you want (men no longer paying premiums based on their gender), and trans people get something they want (why collect it, the point is moot).

I don't think any of the sane women would want to have this continued at their sake for slightly higher insurance rates, many of which here would probably take that hit just to see you and everyone like you shut up about it. And hey, you don't even have to worry about the inevitable extension into "not-a-real-woman sues for lower car insurance rates", or when the rule of large numbers dictates that some gender troll actually does that.

We can get ahead of all that noise right now, by saying "it's good policy to not allow gender or sex or genitals to be used in determining insurance rates."

And you know what? "Men" and "males", as whatever form you fill out for insurance form so stating, will benefit from that. Hooray, MRA! Hooray trans! Demand this policy from your elected representatives! And high as you can get! City? State? Sell it as a win for gender rights, because it is. But it's a win for selfish men, too.

Trans women are adult human males. These are facts.

No, they are opinions. You don't get to decide what the relevant definitions are. Sorry. If you even think you do, then you are merely deluded in some way.

ETA: 'trans women are men' doesn't even make sense, as a sentence.

Last edited:
Trans women are adult human males. These are facts.

No, they are opinions. You don't get to decide what the relevant definitions are. Sorry. If you even think you do, then you are merely deluded in some way.

Metaphor, it isn't that clean binary you keep trying to sell. It's not as simple as "hotdogs and buns", and we've had that conversation before. The genitals and gonads are the least of your gender. The biggest part is who you are, your brain and what parts happened to form in your skull. For almost everyone, they're a pretty good match. For some people either the gonads, or their hormones, or sometimes the genitals themselves, aren't a good match. That part is easier than the brain, and less invasive. Noninvasive, even, for hormone replacement, and hey, then they don't have an adult human male puberty at all, if you do it right.

https://ovc.ojp.gov/sites/g/files/xyckuh226/files/pubs/forge/sexual_numbers.html

Not that I believe you'll even look at it, given the rather complicated relationship you have with evidence...

And of course, sexualised violence by cis men who are such snowflakes that the mere thought of someone born a man who doesn't want to live as a manly man threatens them to the point that they can't help but become violent is primarily a problem of toxic masculinity.

As as society, we have two choices: root out toxic masculinity (and if that's supposed to work fast, it's going to be hard and it's not going to be pretty - you never know when someone holding this sick kind of worldview is going to snap so we have to put them all into protective custody; that includes you, possibly me), or find other ways of protecting potential victims.

So: Do you:
A) want to go to jail?
B) have a better idea about how to protect trans people from violent snowflakes?
C) accept that, given actual threats to real, existing trans people from real, existing bigoted cis people, the female locker room might be the lesser evil, all things considered, even if it isn't an ideal solution? or
D) simply not care about trans people?

I think I know the answer, but I'll wait for you to say it.

Last edited:
I don't agree that insurance companies should be able to charge different rates on the basis of sex, gender or age. I don't understand why private insurance companies are allowed to do it. I understand the rationale they provide, but it's discriminatory.

Should life insurance companies be allowed to charge different rates based on sex or age?

By the way, the irony...

It's really quite ironic:
[MENTION=103]Metaphor[/MENTION]
  • claims to advocate for men's rights
  • claims that trans women are men
  • ... yet gets off of denying rights to trans women.

If there were a Nobel for mental gymnastics, we'd have a nomination.

Well, that's the funny thing isn't it? These people always insist that trans women are the only ones who see themselves as women, and that they should be treated like men. But they themselves never treat trans women like men, particularly.

I don't agree that insurance companies should be able to charge different rates on the basis of sex, gender or age. I don't understand why private insurance companies are allowed to do it. I understand the rationale they provide, but it's discriminatory.

Should life insurance companies be allowed to charge different rates based on sex or age?

It's not very high on my list of concerns. The state doesn't obligate anyone to have life insurance for any particular reason, while it does for driving. Driving occupies a strange place of less than a right, but more than a luxury--for many there is some degree of necessity. Housing insurance, to a lesser extent, fits a similar pattern.

I don't think life insurance policies should be charging differently on the basis of sex. I understand from an actuarial perspective how it is rationalized, but there are so many variables applied to a give individual which may alter their actual risk category. Age is a bit different depending on the terms of the policy. Same goes for some illnesses.

In other random categories, I don't think hair salons and barbers should charge different rates on the basis of gender either. But in practical terms, this isn't in the same category of concern as automotive insurance.

For insurance purposes,

That gets tricky, because there's not a definitive answer, and there's simply not enough of a sample to draw useful conclusions.

We know that testosterone plays a role in aggression and risk-taking, so we might assume that increased testosterone in a transman would make him more aggressive a driver than he was prior to transition. On the other hand, there's a massive amount of learned behavioral conditioning that is tied to gender roles and social expectations. On the whole, females are raised and taught to be mild mannered, well behaved, and to be risk-averse. As a result, we might assume that a transman who was raised as a female would exhibit those traits behind the wheel and be less aggressive than a cisman would be.

I don't have any idea where reality lies on that spectrum. I have no idea which force is stronger, nor how much it varies by individual.

Back
Top Bottom