• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

The Marjorie Taylor Greene case

People still watch Bill Maher? Wow.
I wish more people did.
A year from now, many will be saying "Koch and the Christian Nationalists now have more political power than ever . . . but it was worth it! We got Dr. Seuss's best book banned!"
Bill Maher is a left wing Tucker Carlson. There are a lot of better ways to be informed than to listen to that pontificating fuckwit.
I watch Bill Maher and he isn't left wing at all these days, more like a libertarian/moderate liberal combo. He has become quite the narcissist or more narcissistic than previously, but I enjoy listening to his guests, including the ones who are on the far right, and he still has some funny, witty political humor. Why do you care if we watch Maher? If you think he's far left, you haven't seen him in a long time. He constantly defends Israel, attacks the college crowd who defend the Palestinians, even referring to them as defending Hamas. He's been bashing Biden due to his age, but this week, he finally stopped, probably because he's accepted it's going to be Biden v. Trump. They are only 3 years apart, so the Dems need to wise up. The choice is between a decent man who's done an amazing job considering what he inherited and what he's dealing with from the other side. His opponent is an Orwellian autocrat with a poor memory and a strong narcissistic disorder. He also exhibits symptoms of sociopathy. Actually, I'd confirm that diagnosis. It was Maher who mentioned the statistic about the number of countries with laws that call for the death penalty for atheists.

Why do you care if we watch Maher?
That's a good point. I came off sounding as though I do care and you're right - it's none of my fucking business. What I should have said is that I find it disappointing that he's still considered relevant. And the reasons for that is pretty much everything you listed along with his willingness to fuck over his staff during the recent strike (the staff who incidentally write the only part of his show that's still funny), his misinformation about vaccines and covid, and his personal jihad against what he considers cancel culture because he's still butthurt over getting fired twenty years ago.

Also, I think Have I Got News For You is a far superior version of what Maher attempts to be when it comes to global politics but that's neither here nor there.

Why do you care if we watch Maher?
That's a good point. I came off sounding as though I do care and you're right - it's none of my fucking business. What I should have said is that I find it disappointing that he's still considered relevant. And the reasons for that is pretty much everything you listed along with his willingness to fuck over his staff during the recent strike (the staff who incidentally write the only part of his show that's still funny), his misinformation about vaccines and covid, and his personal jihad against what he considers cancel culture because he's still butthurt over getting fired twenty years ago.

Also, I think Have I Got News For You is a far superior version of what Maher attempts to be when it comes to global politics but that's neither here nor there.
No problem. Just wanted to explain why I still watch his show. Like I said, I'm not a fan of the man, but I often enjoy listening to his guests, and regardless of who writes the jokes, some of them are very funny. I liked the show better when he had 5 guests in total. Now he only has 3. I tend to think it's because he's become more narcissistic as he's gotten older and wants to be able to voice his own opinion more. Anyway, we can watch him as part of our tv package, so it doesn't hurt to watch him, even though I often disagree with him.

I know he went a bit nuts over COVID. Again, I think it was due to his narcissism, as COVID kept him from having his audience for awhile. I know he mocked masks but I don't remember him knocking vaccines. Perhaps he did. But, what's worse to me, is an optometrist I saw recently who said she wasn't going to have any more vaccines. Regardless, I think for myself and still listen to people who I don't agree with. Still, I would be happy if I never heard another word from "Orange Jesus".

Results of my poll question.
Can I hijack this thread for a quick poll question?
Please, anyone who responds:

__ (1) Do you agree that Maher is a pontificating fuckwit?
__ (2) What are your main complaints about Bill Maher?

Two responses. One seemed to think Maher wasn't left-wing enough; the other that he was TOO left-wing. Both ignored the very first clause in his bio: "William Maher is an American comedian..."

I hope more Infidels will weigh in on my poll question.

America has a long glorious(?) tradition of fashioning political opinions by listening to comedians. Stephen Colbert is my present-day favorite. But Maher is much more focused than Colbert, and seldom says anything I disagree with. Lately Maher has a Cassandra role; and like the famous daughter of King Priam his warnings will finally be seen as correct only when it's too late.

Can I hijack this thread for a quick poll question?
Please, anyone who responds:

__ (1) Do you agree that Maher is a pontificating fuckwit?
__ (2) What are your main complaints about Bill Maher?
Haven't tuned in for years but I used to like him. We're all pontificating fuckwits to a degree so Maher is no different. No complaints about Maher but haven't taken him in for a long time.

Years ago he might have had some good points, but he seems to be and out of touch asshole these days, going the route of saying any bullshit for ratings. Last thing I saw with him a month or two ago saw a clip where he was denying facts about poverty/homelessness, saying he doesn't see it. Then when pressed he said "I don't go to those neighborhoods". Well gee, of course you don't see a problem when you refuse to actually look at the problem.

Years ago he might have had some good points, but he seems to be and out of touch asshole these days, going the route of saying any bullshit for ratings. Last thing I saw with him a month or two ago saw a clip where he was denying facts about poverty/homelessness, saying he doesn't see it. Then when pressed he said "I don't go to those neighborhoods". Well gee, of course you don't see a problem when you refuse to actually look at the problem.
The one thing I've noticed when Maher comes up is people who still like him have some thick nostalgia glasses on. That's when I point out his monologue and "New Rule" bits aren't actually him but a writing team he was quite comfortable throwing under the bus during the WGA strike. If you want to see how much of a smarmy condescending git he has become you simply need to watch one of his Club Random podcasts (which I don't recommend) where he is without said writing team. I will say the Fred Armisen/Tim Heidecker parody nails the sort of person Bill Maher has become however.

The one thing I've noticed when Maher comes up is people who still like him have some thick nostalgia glasses on. That's when I point out his monologue and "New Rule" bits aren't actually him but a writing team he was quite comfortable throwing under the bus during the WGA strike. If you want to see how much of a smarmy condescending git he has become you simply need to watch one of his Club Random podcasts (which I don't recommend) where he is without said writing team. I will say the Fred Armisen/Tim Heidecker parody nails the sort of person Bill Maher has become however.
I used to watch him all the time. now just do a clip on You Tube if the people are interesting. OMG he had Roseann Barr on his pod thingy, I made it for 45 seconds.

I think Maher really started to lose it when he went off on his anti-vax bullshit, especially during the early days of the pandemic. The real sign of a freethinker is how one evaluates criticism and data that doesn't meet one's pre-conceived notions. To say he handles it badly is an understatement.

Rep. Chip Roy Press Office on X: "(1/3)"Rep. Rashida Tlaib ..." / X
Rep. Rashida Tlaib has repeatedly made outrageous remarks toward Israel and the Jewish people. Her conduct is unbecoming of a member of Congress and certainly worthy of condemnation - if not censure.

However, tonight’s feckless resolution to censure Tlaib was deeply flawed and made legally and factually unverified claims, including the claim of leading an 'insurrection'.

I voted to table the resolution. In January 2021, the legal term insurrection was stretched and abused by many following the events at the Capitol. We should not continue to perpetuate claims of 'insurrection' at the Capitol and we should not abuse the term now." -Rep. Roy
Then
Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene🇺🇸 on X: "You voted ..." / X
You voted to kick me out of the freedom caucus, but keep CNN wannabe Ken Buck and vaping groping Lauren Boebert and you voted with the Democrats to protect Terrorist Tlaib.

You hate Trump, certified Biden’s election, and could care less about J6 defendants being persecuted.
Mychael Schnell on X: "CHIP ROY ..." / X
HIP ROY responds to this dig from MTG:

“Tell her to go chase so-called Jewish space lasers if she wants to spend time on that sort of thing,” he told me walking into conference this AM.
Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene🇺🇸 on X: "Oh shut up Colonel Sanders, ..." / X
Oh shut up Colonel Sanders, you’re not even from Texas, more like the DMV.

Chip Roy’s career exist of working for politicians, working for campaigns for politicians, and being a politician himself.

Unity Party all the way!

Which is why you will never hold anyone accountable.
I find her meanness very entertaining.

Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene targeted by failed Christmas swatting attempt | AP News
Republican U.S. Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene was the target of a swatting attempt at her Georgia residence on Christmas morning, the congresswoman and local police said, marking the latest instance of someone calling in a fake emergency to draw armed officers or SWAT teams to her home.

The Rome Police Department quickly verified that the call was a hoax and did not send officers to the house, department spokesperson Kelly Madden said.

“I was just swatted. This is like the 8th time. On Christmas with my family here. My local police are the GREATEST and shouldn’t have to deal with this,” Greene wrote in a post on X, formerly Twitter.

A man in New York called the Georgia suicide hotline just before 11 a.m. Monday, claiming that he had shot his girlfriend at Greene’s home and was going to kill himself next, Madden said. The call was quickly transferred to police when suicide hotline responders recognized the Georgia congresswoman’s address.

Marjorie Taylor Greene claims her daughters’ homes have been swatted | The Independent
Georgia GOP Rep Marjorie Taylor Greene has claimed that both of her daughters’ homes were targeted in swatting incidents.

This comes after several similar incidents involving Ms Greene and a number of other public officials.

“Both my [daughters’] houses just got swatted today. Big thanks to the police who responded! We appreciate you and support you! Whoever is doing this, you are going to get caught and it won’t be funny to you anymore,” she wrote on X, tagging the FBI.

Rick Scott’s home ‘swatted’ while he was out to dinner with wife | The Independent - "The incident comes days after another GOP lawmaker was subjected to the prank "

How recent 'swatting' calls targeting officials may prompt heavier penalties for hoax police calls | The Independent - "A spate of false reports of shooters at the homes of public officials in recent days could be setting the stage for stricter penalties against so-called swatting in more states"

New York man sentenced to 3 months in prison for threats to Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene | AP News
Prosecutors said Morelli left a voicemail at Greene’s office on March 3, 2022 stating, “I’m gonna have to take your life into my own hands … I’m gonna hurt you. Physically, I’m gonna harm you.”

On the same day, Morelli left a second message threatening to “pay someone 500 bucks to take a baseball bat and crack your skull,” prosecutors said.

Judge denies Rep. Greene's restitution request for $65,000 home security fence | AP News - "A federal judge rejected Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene’s request to have an upstate New York man convicted of sending her threatening voicemails pay $65,000 for her Georgia home’s security fence."

Even someone as odious as MTG does not deserve threats and SWATting.

"Don't waste your time": Marjorie Taylor Greene’s memoir a flop at bottom of Amazon best seller list | Salon.com - "The recent release has already raked in negative reviews and couldn't even muster a 2-star rating"

Jimmy Kimmel brutally shuts down Marjorie Taylor Greene’s request to be on his show | The Independent - "Greene sarcastically asked to bring her new book MTG to Kimmel’s show"

Mtg: Greene, Marjorie Taylor: 9781735503783: Amazon.com: Books
"In her first book, Congresswoman Marjorie Taylor Greene reveals her personal account of the battles she fights in the halls of Congress and beyond. MTG shares the story of her incredible ascension from small town business owner to MAGA firebrand! Known for her humor and honesty, MTG offers a never before seen glimpse at her decision to give up private sector success for public service, her unfiltered views on the most important issues facing our nation, and the personal sacrifices that come with being "the most dangerous woman in Washington." No other book pulls back the curtain on Washington, the swamp, and the Democrat political elite like MTG. MTG's story will inspire anyone who has ever felt that their voice isn't powerful enough to make a difference.
Its 51 reviews: 1 to 5 star: 47%, 3%, 0%, 3%, 47%

From the 5-star reviews: "Excellent and informative!" and "She heaps equally harsh and valid criticisms of both Democrats and Republicans, and provides clear justification for it that gives the reader important insight into the broken mess that is Washington, DC." and "A well sourced truth of the inner fascist workings of congress. And by fascist I mean democrats." and "MTG is one of the few great people in congress. Her book was an excellent read. She is a great leader." and "This book clearly makes the case for individual rights and freedom verses collectivism."

The 4-star review: "A lot of facts…and maybe a little fiction!"

The 2-star review: "Wow. Thought she was the pretty congresswoman from the theater. Expected a centerfold. But she's the other one. Will probably return"

From the 1-star reviews: "Meandering, Hate Filled, and Reads Like a Child Wrote It" and "Full of nonsense and lies. It reads like a 16 year old’s journal with opinions and no deeper thoughts or proof of anything argued. The cited sources in the back are Facebook posts and Fox News."
A mixed bag of right wing rhetorical nonsense and attempts to hide the opinionated, racist biases behind it all.
A dog whistle to those who choose to follow the former president (whom shall not be mentioned), and a poorly disguised attempt to ride his coat-tails to higher political office.

Seems to have been ghost written in part by a grammatically challenged middle schooler, and partially by AI, but not a good one.

Marjorie Taylor Greene: A Detailed Life Story: Taylor, Oliver: 9798866914869: Amazon.com: Books
Marjorie Taylor Greene is an American politician who has been serving as the U.S. representative for Georgia's 14th congressional district since 2021. She is a member of the Republican Party and has been known for promoting far-right conspiracy theories, including QAnon and Pizzagate. Greene has also made controversial statements, such as equating the Democratic Party with Nazis and comparing COVID-19 safety measures to the persecution of Jews during the Holocaust. She has been a strong supporter of former President Donald Trump and has aided his attempts to overturn the 2020 U.S. presidential election.
Also 51 reviews: 92%, 0%, 0%, 3%, 5% -- like "Fail: poor use of the language, poor organization, weak story. I’m not sure how an intelligent person allows this caliber of work to be published about them. Maybe the answer is in the observation itself."

Amazon.com: Marjorie Taylor Greene : The Biography of MTG eBook : Press, Taylor: Kindle Store
Marjorie Taylor Greene is a controversial American politician who has been serving as the U.S. Representative for Georgia's 14th congressional district since January 2021. Here's a summary of key aspects of her biography based on the information provided:

Early Life and Education:
Marjorie Taylor Greene was born on May 27, 1974, in Milledgeville, Georgia. She attended the University of Georgia, where she met and later married Perry Greene in 1995.

Personal Life:
Greene and Perry Greene have three children. However, in September 2022, Perry Greene filed for divorce, and the divorce was finalized on December 22, 2022. After her divorce, Marjorie Taylor Greene began dating Brian Glenn, the director of programming for the Right Side Broadcasting Network.

Religious Affiliation:
Greene was initially baptized, raised, and married as a member of the Roman Catholic Church. However, she stopped attending Mass services in reaction to the child sexual abuse crisis in the church. In 2011, she was rebaptized into North Point Community Church, an evangelical megachurch network based in Alpharetta.

Political Career:
Marjorie Taylor Greene's political career gained prominence when she won the Republican primary for Georgia's 14th congressional district in 2020. She faced criticism for her support of conspiracy theories and controversial statements. After winning the general election, she assumed office in January 2021.
Reformatted by me, and apparently inspired by the Wikipedia article on her, which has section headings like these.

30 reviews: 95%, 0%, 0%, 0%, 5%

No no, no reason to be fair; after all, this is the same woman who coined the term “gazpacho police”.
Lest we forget "Peach Tree Dish." Space lasers also cause forest fires. And hurricanes wouldn't happen if the earth wasn't spinning.

Back
Top Bottom