• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

The promise of Christian Nationalism

It may be both. You see people who love to hurt people teaming up with people bitter about how their lives went. It may not have been their fault they didn't get what they wanted in life, there are only so many high paying jobs, only so many high rewarding investments one can make or are available to make, but they shouldn't take it out on everyone else they are unhappy. I feel I could do a lot better in life than I have but you don't see me going out and being mean and bitter at others over it.

A vote for anything other than Biden is a vote to destroy Palestinians, just as a vote for anything other than Hillary Clinton was a vote to overturn RvW.
Like it or not.
Tom
A vote for any American presidential candidate is a vote to destroy Palestinians. None that we've had so far have so much as attempted to disentangle us from Israel's interests, let alone succeeded, and Biden certainly will not. Religious loyalties are a key component in every presidential campaign, regardless of party, and their impact on world is no secret. The American public may prefer to delude themselves, especially liberal Americans, but the rest of the world is not fooled. We are known in the international community, because we consistently have been since the time of the very first American wars, a pro-Christian and anti-Muslim nation-state. If we are not Christian nation, we certainly act like one.

Biden may be forced to step away with enough political pressure. He is making noises now, but don't know if he will follow up with action.

Trump may drop Israel for enough bribes/flattery, or just convincing him Netanyahu should suffer for congratulating Biden for winning. But then again he probably wont.

Most likely we will have to wait for the next president before getting one that is willing to hold them accountable

Like it or not, in our current system one of two choices will win the POTUS. And like it or not, one side is vehemently anti-Muslim and pro-violence and one side is not. Biden losing may as well be a death warrant for Palestinians.
And likely our democracy.

This reveals deep problems with these people. They either believe that he is a Christian, despite all the evidence that he is not a Christian, or they don't care that he is not a Christian., despite claiming themselves to be devout Christians.
Also, if you had someone like Trump in behaviour that had a more genuine claim to be Christian, they would still be considered by anyone sensible to be a bad Christian.
The fundamental problem with the fundies is they think the label is what's important.

Just look at one of the Fool's statements: "just quit testing and it will go away". He's ridiculed for that but it represents their worldview. The message is the reality--if everyone would just ignore Covid it would disappear. The Emperor's clothes in action.

No one is owed a vote on the sole basis of not being the other candidate,

A vote for any American presidential candidate is a vote to destroy Palestinians.
Get real. Do you seriously think your vote for 'None Of The Above' will make a dam bit of difference?
I voted for neither Rump nor Hillery in 2016. Now I feel guilty, not proud of 'withholding my vote in protest'.
I predict you will come to regret what you are saying here.
If you can't decide based on the Palestinian issue, there are plenty of other issues/reasons to keep Rump out of office.

Get real. Do you seriously think your vote for 'None Of The Above' will make a dam bit of difference?
No, I don't. Why would anyone think that? An individual vote is not a very important thing in the grand scheme of things, that is not why we vote. Unless we are fools. My vote for any president is largely erased by my state's strong Democratic preference, so pretending that my vote is very important if I vote for a particular candidate but useless if I do not is not rational. I also did not cast such a vote; I guess you are assuming that the only reason I would argue for someone's right to an independent vote is if I plan to vote the same way that they do? That is not the case. I've not personally decided what to do about November, and may need to think about how the field has changed by then.

I predict you will come to regret what you are saying here.
Never. The franchise of the voter is a fundamental right and responsibility of every citizen of this country, and I'm not embarrassed to defend that viewpoint. I've voted in nine US elections, in some cases supporting the candidates or favored policies of major parties, and in other cases not. I do not regret a single one of those votes; I made a sober, rational, careful decision in each case. At least, as best as I was able to do personally.

This reveals deep problems with these people. They either believe that he is a Christian, despite all the evidence that he is not a Christian, or they don't care that he is not a Christian.
Trumpetts are like christians. Gullible sheep. If you say something loud enough and long enough, they will believe it.
since the time of the very first American wars, a pro-Christian and anti-Muslim nation-state.
Need I remind you. Is-lame is not a friend of atheists either.

Need I remind you. Is-lame is not a friend of atheists either.
Well aware. My position on religious ethnocide is not contingent on the "good behavior" of its victims. I've studied genocide and ethnocide professionally for many years, and have come to the personal conclusion that it is a war tactic that should be off the table in all cases. If you are in a position of power such that you have the option available, using it is indefensible, as if you have the capacity for an ultimate solution, you also have the capacity for other means of addressing a social dispute that do not require the slaughter of those who are too young to be guilty of the crime you accuse them of.

is largely erased by my state's strong Democratic preference,
But you are not talking to folks in your neighborhood. You are engaging in vote manipulation. Advocating not voting.
I'm in PA. PA went for Biden in 2020. But it was close enough not to take for granted.
Yes your vote is miniscule, But if most of your Dem neighbors feel as you do and stay home, the Reps win.
OTOH, if you are a republican, then I approve of your decision to stay home.

I've studied genocide and ethnocide professionally for many years, and have come to the personal conclusion that it is a war tactic that should be off the table in all cases.

It is “off the table” for anyone not willing to commit war crimes.
Is there something else we can do?

But you are not talking to folks in your neighborhood. You are engaging in vote manipulation. Advocating not voting.
Acknowledging that someone has a right not to cast a vote for a particular candidate they do not support is not "advocating not voting". It is advocating for the right to vote as one chooses, on a fundamental level.

I've studied genocide and ethnocide professionally for many years, and have come to the personal conclusion that it is a war tactic that should be off the table in all cases.

Refuse to commit, fund, or argue for religious ethnocide.

Refuse to commit or fund genocide.

I am totally committed to not committing genocide. Funding it is another matter altogether.
Would you like to see me fined into poverty for failure to pay taxes? So everything I own can go to the war efforts, instead of just the paltry taxes I pay?

Refuse to commit or fund genocide.

I am totally committed to not committing genocide. Funding it is another matter altogether.
Would you like to see me fined into poverty for failure to pay taxes? So everything I own can go to the war efforts, instead of just the paltry taxes I pay?
You asked me what can be done. Do as you like.

Refuse to commit, fund, or argue for religious ethnocide.
To do that you would have to cut off Gaza.

Every dime that goes in there helps support and fund the war crimes committed by Hamas lead Gazans. It's politically incorrect to say that but it's true.

Frankly, I've wished we would stop sending aid to Israel as well. I have for a couple of decades. I'm convinced that it's politically untouchable corporate welfare, myself. But the Gazans are the real criminals in this episode.
Tom

I think ethnocide sucks Politesse.

I think that a number of religious folks have been fairly well manipulated with the idea of prophecy, that now their Antichrist play is on the stage and they're trying to rig the game.

Politesse, people have been raising red heifers. If Biden does anything matching the phrase "betrays Isreal", these psychotic fucks will declare 'prophecy'.

They are trying to play some game of political hot potato with religious prophecy.

The world is in a really dangerous state right now, and political forces have been using religion to play a game of "religious beliefs leverage" that would make the author of Dune spit.

We are in the middle of a shaken bottle and the metaphors of literature are too goddamn subtle.

I don't care what anyone believes insofar as whether or not there is a god, but Christians are trying to leverage religious beliefs into this.

Someone from a non-Christian country has to move first. The US is limited in what we can do. Yes, we can and should stop weapons transfers to Israel and YES the administration should be critical of them, but that must not happen before the election and the US cannot take the lead on it.

Would you have the man literally hand himself up to step onto the sword of insane religious zealotry and then hand the country to Trump anyway?

This is dumb. Yes, Isreal is doing a genocide and using the US and religion here to get away with it. It's not an easy position to be in.

Sub-humans don’t have issues.
That’s Rump’s stance.

Back
Top Bottom