• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

The Quran

DLH

Basic Beliefs
Bible Believer
I've read completely, in fact, published online and proofread three different versions of the Quran and I'm just completely unimpressed. It seems nothing more than a semi-illiterate attempt to endorse religion that is a sort of alternate culture and to mix that with a poor understanding of the Bible. Though they did get it right with the rejection of the Platonic Trinity. It just repeats itself endlessly in an extremely xenophobic self promotion.

Not much to say about the Quran, from my point of view.

I've read completely, in fact, published online and proofread three different versions of the Quran and I'm just completely unimpressed. It seems nothing more than a semi-illiterate attempt to endorse religion that is a sort of alternate culture and to mix that with a poor understanding of the Bible. Though they did get it right with the rejection of the Platonic Trinity. It just repeats itself endlessly in an extremely xenophobic self promotion.

Well... what do you expect? It is a religious book. Name one holy text that isn´t a garbled and confusing contradictory mess, as well as petty? The Quran is a fetisch. What´s cool about it is it´s age. When it was written being literate was like having magical powers, and books were like having a personal Large Hadron Collider at home.

What I liked about the Quran is how it yammers on and on about the importance of forgiveness. But that was about all I liked about it.

How do you know what you read was the Quran?

Well . . . it did have something written on the front of it which had been scratched out and Quran had been written on it in crayon, but when I tried to set it on fire some maniac came at me with a knife and I knew it was the Quran.

I wonder about you, none.

Well . . . it did have something written on the front of it which had been scratched out and Quran had been written on it in crayon, but when I tried to set it on fire some maniac came at me with a knife and I knew it was the Quran.

hehe, the history of the Quran, are you familiar?

Well... what do you expect? It is a religious book. Name one holy text that isn´t a garbled and confusing contradictory mess, as well as petty? The Quran is a fetisch. What´s cool about it is it´s age. When it was written being literate was like having magical powers, and books were like having a personal Large Hadron Collider at home.

What I liked about the Quran is how it yammers on and on about the importance of forgiveness. But that was about all I liked about it.

Yeah? I didn't get forgiveness out of it so much.

- - - Updated - - -

hehe, the history of the Quran, are you familiar?

Just the basic. It reminds me of the Book of Mormon, though I've never read that.

I recently found a scholarly article online which says pretty much the same thing.

Scholarly? It's called "Fuck The Muslims" and the first line says: "Get in line, ye billion-plus Muslims of the world. Open your mouths. One by one, gently yet firmly, I’m going to poop in them."

That is, I have to admit, about as scholarly as the Documentary Hypothesis.

Yeah? I didn't get forgiveness out of it so much.

Almost after every sura about killing, stoning or surely put to death there´s a sura taking it all back and saying it´s better to forgive. I actually counted them back in the day and compared with the Bible. In spite of being much shorter the Quran has more lines about the importance of forgiveness than the Bible.

There is that thing about the Quran needing to be read in the original language. It´s not so much that Arabic is a magical language. It´s simply that the Quran is written in verse. Plenty of the words are picked for their poetry, rather than judicial correctness. The Quran is a hell of a lot vaguer than... well.. all other holy texts... I think. Ie more open to interpretation.

Last edited:

Excellent. Now you understand how we feel about the bible.

Can I assume that's the end of this?

i remember there was one thread where I had a conversation with a Muslim guy about how poorly the Koran compares with the Harry Potter series in terms of imparting moral lessons. It really is a subpar work.

Also, the main character rapes a little girl. Whats up with that?

i remember there was one thread where I had a conversation with a Muslim guy about how poorly the Koran compares with the Harry Potter series in terms of imparting moral lessons. It really is a subpar work.

Not quite. Conjugal coitus between two consenting adults.....ish.

Not quite. Conjugal coitus between two consenting adults.....ish.

Ginny Weasley was not a consenting adult. Harry Potter raped that little girl and it's long past time for all the fucking Rowling apologists to pull their heads out of their asses and admit it. :mad:

Oh, and Mohammed did the same thing except with a nine year old.

Excellent. Now you understand how we feel about the bible.

Can I assume that's the end of this?

That seems like a reasonable expectation.

I recently found a scholarly article online which says pretty much the same thing.

I read the title and decided that the rest did not merit reading. I did skim the rest. The obscene words convinced me that the article did not merit close study. Also, whoever wrote that did not have the courage to sign his name and identify himself.

I read the title and decided that the rest did not merit reading. I did skim the rest. The obscene words convinced me that the article did not merit close study. Also, whoever wrote that did not have the courage to sign his name and identify himself.

If it took you three months to read the title, then perhaps it is just as well that you didn't attempt the entire thing.

It's hosted on the web site of notorious "shock" writer Jim Goad. Just a wild guess, but maybe Mr. Goad himself wrote it?

Not scholarly? Oh. Well, how about this Christian-based web site which features an illustrated abridgement of the Koran.
a) it's a collection of hadith stories, first and foremost, so that's not even purported to be an abridged Qur'an and b) the only error I can find is on page 9, where the author misunderstands the stance of Islam wrt cats. If there's any other misrepresentation of the Qur'an or hadith in there, you might want to point it out.

I do understand how Muslims may be embarrassed by the silliness exposed this way, but the burden of explanation is on them for not taking their holy book and tradition literally, just as with Christians.

Not scholarly? Oh. Well, how about this Christian-based web site which features an illustrated abridgement of the Koran.
a) it's a collection of hadith stories, first and foremost, so that's not even purported to be an abridged Qur'an

So sue me, it's based mostly on the Hadith, not the Koran. Several people here don't seem to realise I was being tongue-in-cheek when I referred to the comic book and the Jim Goad rant as "scholarly" sources. They are quite entertaining though. :biggrina:

Back
Top Bottom