• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

The Race For 2024

“De facto anarchy” means an rldctrd ofgicial
rldctrd ofgicial?
image.jpg

answerable to her constituents ( happy coincidence?) didn’t do what you wanted.
No. It means an elected official refusing to enforce law and order and allowing an extremist fringe to occupy part of the city.
It extends to prosecutors not prosecuting crimes committed by these rioters.
This is not peaceful protesting:
EZPOaRrXQAI3yHw.jpg

Those involved should have been prosecuted. Unfortunately, neither Paul Howard nor Fanni Willis brought any charges that I am aware of.

It seems unlikely that any of these "leftists" will do anything like it again. Can we say the same with regards to Trump's supporters?
Most 1/6 rioters are still in prison. Unlike the far left bombers or 2020 rioters.

For example, the two leftist lawyers who torched a police vehicle in 2020 have already been released from federal prison. They are thus free to do something like that again at the next #BLM/Antifa riot.

You’re the one advocating for more ineffective and harmful incarceration of minors.
A 16-17 year old murderer should not be given a pass just because he is 1-2 years shy of the age of majority.
I disagree that it is ineffective or harmful to incarcerate such criminals.
On the other hand, giving them a pass is harmful to society.

You’re the one advocating for more ineffective and harmful incarceration of minors.
Yes. A 16-17 year old murderer should not be given a pass just because he is 1-2 years shy of the age of majority.
No one is suggesting a pass. Perhaps your punishment boner is draining blood ftom your brain which is reducing its effectiveness?

It seems unlikely that any of these "leftists" will do anything like it again. Can we say the same with regards to Trump's supporters?
Most 1/6 rioters are still in prison. Unlike the far left bombers or 2020 rioters.

For example, the two leftist lawyers who torched a police vehicle in 2020 have already been released from federal prison. They are thus free to do something like that again at the next #BLM/Antifa riot.
You appear confused; The "leftists" to whom I refer are the same "leftists" you brought up in your post here.

None of them are the same people who "torched a police vehicle in 2020".

No one is suggesting a pass. Perhaps your punishment boner is draining blood ftom your brain which is reducing its effectiveness?
The alternative is a de facto pass. That's why it is possible to transfer minors to adult court. Note, their age is still considered in sentencing but it is far longer than what is possible in the juvenile system.

Consider this case.
Teens plead guilty in 2019 shooting of Nashville musician Kyle Yorlets

Two teens, 15 and 16, robbed and murdered a local musician. They will both serve ~25 years. Less than what they would have gotten were they adults, but at least it's a significant sentence, rather than "juvenile detention until the age of 21" which is the maximum possible in the juvenile system.

I think serious crimes like murder warrant long sentences even for perps under 18.

“De facto anarchy” means an rldctrd ofgicial
rldctrd ofgicial?
image.jpg

answerable to her constituents ( happy coincidence?) didn’t do what you wanted.
No. It means an elected official refusing to enforce law and order and allowing an extremist fringe to occupy part of the city.
It extends to prosecutors not prosecuting crimes committed by these rioters.
This is not peaceful protesting:
EZPOaRrXQAI3yHw.jpg

Those involved should have been prosecuted. Unfortunately, neither Paul Howard nor Fanni Willis brought any charges that I am aware of.
Have the police identified any suspects?

A 16-17 year old murderer should not be given a pass just because he is 1-2 years shy of the age of majority.
I disagree that it is ineffective or harmful to incarcerate such criminals.
On the other hand, giving them a pass is harmful to society.
I don’t know that anybody is talking about giving a minor a ‘pass’ because they are a minor. I think that the law recognizes, as does brain science, that those we deem minors lack the same capacity for judgement and self control and long term thinking that an adult possesses. Their brains and minds are still developing. Sentencing them to adult time in adult prison is not justice and can cause more harm than good.

The alternative is a de facto pass. That's why it is possible to transfer minors to adult court. Note, their age is still considered in sentencing but it is far longer than what is possible in the juvenile system.

Consider this case.
Teens plead guilty in 2019 shooting of Nashville musician Kyle Yorlets

Two teens, 15 and 16, robbed and murdered a local musician. They will both serve ~25 years. Less than what they would have gotten were they adults, but at least it's a significant sentence, rather than "juvenile detention until the age of 21" which is the maximum possible in the juvenile system.

I think serious crimes like murder warrant long sentences even for perps under 18.
Of course you do. Are these minors serving their time with adults?

I don’t know that anybody is talking about giving a minor a ‘pass’ because they are a minor.
Fauxgressive prosecutors like Gascon in LA do. He categorically refuses to allow transfer to the adult system, even though the juvenile system is not equipped to deal with serious crimes committed by minors.
I think that the law recognizes, as does brain science, that those we deem minors lack the same capacity for judgement and self control and long term thinking that an adult possesses.
There is no switch that gets turned at 18, but yes, young people are more impulsive, and their age can and should be taken into account for sentencing. That said, the maximum possible under the juvenile system is inadequate for serious crimes like murder.
Their brains and minds are still developing. Sentencing them to adult time in adult prison is not justice and can cause more harm than good
How much time do you think a 16 year old should do for robbery and murder? How about murder ordered by a gang?

Of course you do. Are these minors serving their time with adults?
I think in most cases they serve time in juvi until they turn 18 and get transferred to adult prison, but I am sure this varies by state.

But how much time do you think 15 and 16 year old robbers and murderers should serve? And should all of it be in juvi?

Do you genuinely believe that five or six years of incarceration is not a significant sentence? Or that recidivism is significantly less likely after 25 years in an adult prison than it would be after five years in juvenile detention?

Back
Top Bottom