• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

The Race For 2024

I wonder if his spasmodic dysphonia was caused by drug abuse.
In any case, his voice is the least of the problems with his candidacy.
That aside, I can't stomach his anti-vaxxism.
Me neither. He is also very much anti-nuclear. I remember a show he did back in Air America days when he, either deliberately or due to inability to comprehend math, mixed up square miles and miles radius and made potential contaminated area due to a nuclear power plant accident seem much bigger than it would be in reality.

RealClearPolitics - 2024 - Latest Dem Primary Polls

MW is polling in the high single digits, and RFK Jr. in the teens to 20 and 21%.

RealClearPolitics - 2024 - Latest GOP Primary Polls

Trump typically gets around 1/2 and Ron DeSantis a little less than 1/4.

Possible R candidates, and possible announcement dates, if any
  • Chris Christie, NJ Gov, ~ June 6
  • Doug Burgum, ND Gov, ~ June 7
  • Mike Pence, fmr VP, ~ June 7
  • Mike Rogers, fmr MI Rep & MI St Sen, ~ June
  • Francis X. Suarez, Miami FL Mayor, ~ June
  • Chris Sununu, NH Gov, ~ mid-June
  • John Bolton, fmr Nat. Sec. Adviser
  • Will Hurd, fmr TX rep
  • Rick Perry, fmr TX Gov & Sec Energy
  • Greg Abbott, TX Gov
  • Ted Cruz, TX Sen
  • Kristi Noem, SD Gov
  • Glenn Youngkin, VA Gov (will decide after this year's VA elections)

The guy tripped over a sandbag that someone had placed where it might trip people. Even very young people trip over things. Get a grip.
True. Young and fit people trip over things. And Biden got up fairly easily.
Young people can also trip over a sallable or two.
In themselves, those things do not mean much.

But given Biden's very advanced age, those things add to the perception that he is not quite fit to execute the duties of President until 2029. In politics, perception matters a lot. And Biden tripping like this does not help the perception of his fitness, fairly or not.

As if only the Republicans are allowed to appoint partisan Justices.
Nobody said they were. Democrats have appointed their share of left-wing partisans. Judges like Red Sonia Sotomayor
Red Sonia???

Red Sonja - a sort of female Conan the Barbarian

Boo hoo hoo hoo hoo. :p

But for the last 100 years, only Democrats have threatened to pack the Court with additional partisan justices.
Only once: FDR threatening to do so. Though that attempt was unsuccessful, the court backed down from opposing the New Deal.

Trump is probably going to be indicted soon. And convicted. A number of blue states would refuse to allow Trump to appear on their ballots. Article 14. I can just hear the shrieks of outrage from the MAGAts now. Meanwhile, in Florida, citizens are beginning to get organized to deal with DeSantis autocracy and insanity. Pudding Ron will be so noxious over the next year he has no chance of being president. A GOP melt down is beginning.
Trump's own lawyer, Ty Cobb, said Trump is going to jail.

If you are willing to overlook the Afghanistan withdrawal debacle, the highest inflation rate in decades, the highest interest rates in decades, a trashed economy, a porous border, the canceling of the Keystone pipeline, dubious appointments such as Sam Brinton, sure he is doing sterling work.

But it is obvious the old duffer is losing it. But if that's your guy. . . . .
Afghanistan: Look at His Flatulence for messing it up.
Interest/Inflation: Inevitable given the supply shocks.
Trashed economy: Doesn't look that bad, but once again the pandemic.
Porous border: Was under His Flatulence, also. It's simply not possible for a free country not to have a porous border.
Keystone: Not needed.
Dubious appointments: His Flatulence was the master of that.

I don't believe it's possible for a good person to become the leader of a big country, but I think Biden is nowhere near as bad as His Flatulence.

As if only the Republicans are allowed to appoint partisan Justices.
Nobody said they were. Democrats have appointed their share of left-wing partisans. Judges like Red Sonia Sotomayor or the Notorious KJB who was the only justice who thought Teamsters have the NLRB-given right to sabotage their employers' equipment.
But for the last 100 years, only Democrats have threatened to pack the Court with additional partisan justices.
That's not sabotage. I do consider it a failure to exercise a reasonable duty of care, though. You don't accept a responsibility and then not make a good attempt to follow through on that responsibility.

We can only hope it comes to full fruition in 17 months, not sooner or later. If by some miracle the Dems can take full control, we might be able to repair the SCOTUS and protect democracy from the corrosive effects of trumpy fascism.
By "repair the SCOTUS", you mean pack it with at least four more partisan justices?
Like the Republicans did?

The guy tripped over a sandbag that someone had placed where it might trip people. Even very young people trip over things. Get a grip.
True. Young and fit people trip over things. And Biden got up fairly easily.
Young people can also trip over a sallable or two.
In themselves, those things do not mean much.

But given Biden's very advanced age, those things add to the perception that he is not quite fit to execute the duties of President until 2029. In politics, perception matters a lot. And Biden tripping like this does not help the perception of his fitness, fairly or not.
WTF is a "sallable"? Are you getting old?

Opinion | Chris Sununu: I won't run in 2024. Beating Trump matters more. - The Washington Post
Since 2017, the national Republican Party has lost up and down the ballot, in red states and in blue states, and in elections spanning the House, Senate and presidency. That will happen again unless we Republicans undergo a course correction.

Current polls indicate Trump is the leading Republican candidate in 2024. He did not deliver on his promises to drain the swamp, secure the border and instill fiscal responsibility while in office — and added $8 trillion to our national debt — yet now he wants four more years. He is facing numerous investigations and continues to peddle the conspiracy theory that he won the 2020 election, repelling independents.

If he is the nominee, Republicans will lose again. Just as we did in 2018, 2020 and 2022. This is indisputable, and I am not willing to let it happen without a fight.
Then on how the party is focusing on culture-war issues that cause it a lot of trouble. The party's base likes such issues, but the rest of the population doesn't.
To win, Republicans need our message to appeal to new voters, and we can do this without sacrificing classic conservative principles of individual liberty, low taxes and local control. But we must abandon the issues that are solely made for social media headlines, such as banning books or issuing curriculum fiats to local school districts hundreds of miles away from state capitals. Republicans should re-embrace local control and let parents within their own communities decide what’s right.

In 2024, millennials and Gen Zers will be a significant voting bloc. Republicans must not cede this ground. Too often, we have terrible messengers who are focused on the wrong issues. Instead of pushing deeply unpopular and restrictive nationwide abortion bans, Republicans should recognize that every time they open their mouths to talk about banning abortion, an independent voter joins the Democrats.

We need to expand beyond the culture wars that alienate independents, young voters and suburban moms. Republicans must offer an optimistic blueprint to prioritize issues that connect with these voters — addressing the homelessness crisis, imposing fiscal responsibility, reducing inflation, securing our borders, becoming energy independent — all while championing their personal freedoms, before they permanently move away from the Republican Party.

Then,
Trump Furious With Chris Sununu’s Reason for Not Entering 2024 Race
Responding on his Truth Social platform, Trump took a different view on Sununu’s reluctance to join the race. “RINO Chris Sununu stated in his Fake Opinion published in The Washington Compost, ‘I’m not running for president in 2024. Beating Trump is more important.’” Trump wrote. “No, he’s not running for President because he’s polling at Zero, and has no chance of winning.” Trump added that New Hampshirites have “gotten wise to Chris Sununu” and “they no longer like or respect him.” “I never liked him,” Trump added, “But always did whatever he asked for the State, because I wanted to help New Hampshire, and I did!”

Mike Pence files paperwork to launch 2024 presidential bid
Pence, the nation's 48th vice president, will formally launch his bid for the Republican nomination with a video and kickoff event in Des Moines, Iowa, on Wednesday, which is his 64th birthday, according to people familiar with his plans. He made his candidacy official Monday with the Federal Election Commission.

While Trump is currently leading the early fight for the nomination, with Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis polling consistently in second, Pence supporters see a lane for a reliable conservative who espouses many of the previous administration's policies but without the constant tumult.

Chris Christie is set to announce his presidential bid in New Hampshire - news story is for today, but I couldn't find anything further.

Mike Pence files paperwork to launch 2024 presidential bid
Pence, the nation's 48th vice president, will formally launch his bid for the Republican nomination with a video and kickoff event in Des Moines, Iowa, on Wednesday, which is his 64th birthday, according to people familiar with his plans. He made his candidacy official Monday with the Federal Election Commission.

While Trump is currently leading the early fight for the nomination, with Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis polling consistently in second, Pence supporters see a lane for a reliable conservative who espouses many of the previous administration's policies but without the constant tumult.
He's got to be delusional to think he has any sort of a chance. Or he's just grifting for the money.

Back
Top Bottom