• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

The Race For 2024

I try to imagine how historians of our era will reconstruct our politics, national temper, and the composition of the electorate.
We have a front runner who, two and a half years ago, called the Georgia secy. of state and made incriminating statements in juicy detail:
There's nothing wrong with saying, you know, um, that you've recalculated... All I want to do is this. I just want 11, 870 votes, which is one more than we have, because we won the state... I only need 11,000 votes. Fellas, I need 11,000 votes. Give me a break.
His party fully sustains his criminality, (the outliers are noteworthy because they are a pitiful handful) and he is on track to head their ticket next year. His base is rock steady (slight fluctuation in polls) and he is presently running competitively against the incumbent. At this moment our national craziness rivals the Red Scares of 1919-20 and 1947-54. Unlike those two paranoid periods, this one doesn't line up a select group of scapegoats, it aims dead center at our norms of governance and suffrage. And the impulse to think that, "This too shall pass" or "It can't get worse that this" -- that impulse keeps running into contradictory evidence. A lot depends on the coming trials -- if they commence before November of '24. (Well before.) Our fellow democracies think we've all lost our minds.

I try to imagine how historians of our era will reconstruct our politics, national temper, and the composition of the electorate.
We have a front runner who, two and a half years ago, called the Georgia secy. of state and made incriminating statements in juicy detail:
There's nothing wrong with saying, you know, um, that you've recalculated... All I want to do is this. I just want 11, 870 votes, which is one more than we have, because we won the state... I only need 11,000 votes. Fellas, I need 11,000 votes. Give me a break.
His party fully sustains his criminality, (the outliers are noteworthy because they are a pitiful handful) and he is on track to head their ticket next year. His base is rock steady (slight fluctuation in polls) and he is presently running competitively against the incumbent. At this moment our national craziness rivals the Red Scares of 1919-20 and 1947-54. Unlike those two paranoid periods, this one doesn't line up a select group of scapegoats, it aims dead center at our norms of governance and suffrage. And the impulse to think that, "This too shall pass" or "It can't get worse that this" -- that impulse keeps running into contradictory evidence. A lot depends on the coming trials -- if they commence before November of '24. (Well before.) Our fellow democracies think we've all lost our minds.
Except that most of them are fighting their own incarnations of far right wing insanity. These are interesting but deeply worrying times.

The vast majority of those the 14th was used against were not adjudicated for anything.
Could be. I am not a Civil War buff.
Nevertheless, do you really think this 14th Amendment gambit will work? Or do you realize it's just a lot of hopium?
You don't need to be a Civil War buff to understand that all those Confederate soldiers were not put on trial. much less convicted of insurrection.
They also didn’t become President.

Most confederate soldiers were draftees.

That's not my understanding.
Most confederate soldiers were defending their families and homes, on their own turf.
That's why the War of Northern Aggression was so long, destructive, and bloody.
Tom

• Haha
Reactions: jab
That's not my understanding.
Most confederate soldiers were defending their families and homes, on their own turf.
That's why the War of Northern Aggression was so long, destructive, and bloody.
Tom

In the start of the war, confederate soldiers were volunteers. 100,000 of them. But they signed up for one years service. By 1862, the Civil war became a serious war. The South in 1862 passed laws establishing the draft. 400,000 soldiers were drafted. The one year volunteers had their service in the confederate army lengthen to last the duration of the war. Essentially, they became draftees. Clergy and slave owners and necessary tradesmen like blacksmiths were exceptions to being drafted.

By 1862, the Civil war became a serious war.
There was no such civil war.
Some states decided to secede. Not much different from when the 13 colonies decided to secede from the British Empire.
The big difference is that the Founding Fathers of the "United" States succeeded in their secession and the Confederates did not.
And history is written by the victors.
Tom

ETA ~We are getting way off topic~

Over 100 years now in the USA, many, many books have been written by ever so many experts on "The Civil War". How could all these many experts have gotten that wrong?

It would be more accurate to describe both conflicts as civil wars, than neither. But, there is also a significant difference between secession from a republic, and the rebellion of a colony.

If y'all want to continue the derail concerning U.S. history I'd suggest starting a new thread.
Tom

Over 100 years now in the USA, many, many books have been written by ever so many experts on "The Civil War". How could all these many experts have gotten that wrong?

The same way all the climatologists who are experts in their field got climate change “wrong,“ even as the world is melting and burning around us. But they must be wrong because climate-change denialists say so, and who are you going to believe, them or experts?

There is virtually no comparison between the rebellion of the colonies and the southern secession. But yes, this should be a separate thread.

Oh good lord;

A sleepy Joe Biden saw his rambling Vietnam press conference brought to a sudden end on Sunday night with a mic cut and jazz music playing him off the stage, like he went too long in an awards speech.

Daily Mail

He can’t possibly run.

Oh good lord;

A sleepy Joe Biden saw his rambling Vietnam press conference brought to a sudden end on Sunday night with a mic cut and jazz music playing him off the stage, like he went too long in an awards speech.

Daily Mail

He can’t possibly run.
Yeah, because a President making an incoherent speech is completely unprecedented.

donald-trump-bing-bing-bong.gif

Oh good lord;

Daily Mail

He can’t possibly run.
The economy must be in decent shape and inflation under control with his age being the complaints.

Oh good lord;

Daily Mail

He can’t possibly run.
The economy must be in decent shape and inflation under control with his age being the complaints.
Winner winner chicken dinner. Attacking the other guy for being old and incoherent (when your guy is also both) is a desperation move, not a leading argument.

By 1862, the Civil war became a serious war.
There was no such civil war.
Some states decided to secede. Not much different from when the 13 colonies decided to secede from the British Empire.
Not much different in the sense that a mouse and hippo are both quadrupeds and mammals.

The difference was that the idea for independence from England was the desire for self-rule and England's actual claim to the territory was weakish and there was a philosophical idealization about the idea of self-rule / democratic-rule. Then after winning the Revolution, went forth, followed through and established a large scale representative democractic government which would be partially a model across the globe for the Democratization of the First World.

The South attempted to ignore the results of an democratic election in that nation, after signing the Constitution that said they'd abide by the results of elections. In order to exclusively enshrine the continued and future existence of slavery.
And history is written by the victors.
The South has been trying to rewrite the history of their failed insurrection for 150 years.

Last edited:
Could we please split off the derail? It's interesting enough to explore, just (god willin an the crik dun rise) irrelevant to the 2024 election.

Back
Top Bottom