• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

The Race For 2024

Joe Manchin:
Manchin won’t seek reelection in West Virginia | KTLA
“After months of deliberation and long conversations with my family, I believe in my heart of hearts that I have accomplished what I set out to do for West Virginia. I have made one of the toughest decisions of my life and decided that I will not be running for re-election to the United States Senate,” Manchin, 76, said in a statement. “But what I will be doing is traveling the country and speaking out to see if there is an interest in creating a movement to mobilize the middle and bring Americans together.”

White House tried, and failed, to persuade Manchin to make another Senate run - POLITICO - "And now, the question is, will he run against Biden?"
On Thursday, the senator didn’t just announce that he would not campaign for a third term but also openly toyed with the idea of launching a third-party presidential bid, saying he would be “traveling the country and speaking out, to see if there is an interest in creating a movement to mobilize the middle, and bring Americans together.”
Let's see what he comes up with.
Manchin’s political future has been the topic of intense interest over the past few years as he’s increasingly distanced himself from Biden and his own party. In July, the senator traveled to the early primary state of New Hampshire for an event with No Labels, a centrist organization that has floated a plan to launch a third-party presidential ticket. He also spoke on a call with the group.

Jill Stein launches 2024 bid as Green Party candidate | The Hill

Oh, no :p

All she will do is compete with Cornel West.

"Jill Stein announced a surprise presidential bid Thursday, seeking the Green Party’s 2024 nomination."

Hutchinson shuts down suggestion about dropping out of GOP race | The Hill
Hutchinson was asked by CNN’s Jim Acosta about arguments made that the GOP needs to coalesce around an “anti-Trump or non-Trump candidate” and asked if it was “time” for Hutchinson to drop out of the race to “make that possible.” The former Arkansas governor responded that he doesn’t believe that to be the case.

“I think most people that make the case, ‘We need to narrow the field,’ they’re talking about… after the first four states, that’s the case that Mitt Romney made,” Hutchinson said.

“And there’ll be a time down the road that consolidation will happen, but the voters… have to have an opportunity to express themselves, and you’re gonna see a lot of changes,” he continued.

Let's see how old the candidates are.

• Democratic: Dean Phillips 54, Marianne Williamson 71, Joe Biden 80
  • Republican: Vivek Ramaswamy 38, Ron DeSantis 45, Nikki Haley 51, Tim Scott 58, Chris Christie 61, Doug Burgum 67, Asa Hutchinson 72, Donald Trump 77
  • R (dropped out): Francis Suarez 45, Will Hurd 46, Mike Pence 64, Larry Elder 71, Perry Johnson 75
  • Independent: RFK Jr. 69, Cornel West 70
  • Libertarian: Chase Oliver 38, Joshua Smith 40, Lars Mapstead 54, Mike ter Maat 62, Michael Rectenwald 64, Jacob Hornberger 73
  • Green: Randy Toler 66, Jill Stein 73
  • (will he run?) Joe Manchin 76

(will he run?) Joe Manchin 76

I think it is a matter of the size of his ego and self-delusion of grandeur on the scale of all the other politicians you named. Apparently, we are living in a time when people of very advanced age can continue to feel relevant and alive by running for public office. If you happen to die while in office, that's tough, but at least you don't have to deal with the consequences of someone even worse than you ending up taking over your job.

From "The Hill" website.

Republican presidential contender Sen. Tim Scott (R-S.C.) has dropped out of the 2024 GOP primary, the latest high-profile exit from the race.

Another one bites the dust.
Sen. Tim Scott of South Carolina says he is dropping out of the 2024 GOP presidential race
The South Carolina senator made the surprise announcement on “Sunday Night in America” with Trey Gowdy. The news was so abrupt that one campaign worker told The Associated Press that campaign staff found out Scott was dropping out by watching the show. The worker was not authorized to discuss the internal deliberations publicly and spoke on condition of anonymity.

The news comes as Scott continued to struggle in the polls and just days after the third Republican primary debate. The only Black Republican senator, Scott entered the race in May with more cash than any other Republican candidate but couldn’t find a lane in a field dominated by former President Donald Trump.
Are the candidates running for Vice President? Cenk Uygur once asked Vivek Ramaswamy about why he is running with all the Trump-loving he has been doing. But TS disavows that intention.
“Being vice president has never been on my to-do list for this campaign, and it’s certainly not there now," Scott said.

Tim Scott Suggests Slavery Wasn’t as Bad as Welfare for Black Americans | The New Republic - "The South Carolina senator delivered a very embarrassing talking point during the Republican presidential debate."
“Black families survived slavery!” he exclaimed. “We survived poll taxes and literacy tests.”

“We survived discrimination being woven into the laws of our country,” he added, in a line that for a moment sounded like he might actually be acknowledging systemic racism.

“What was hard to survive was Johnson’s Great Society, where they decided to put money—where they decided to take the Black father out of the household to get a check in the mail.”
Black Families Severed by Slavery and  Slave breeding in the United States

The problem with Great-Society welfare was superstrict means testing - the "no man in the house" rule - combined with cliff eligibility. Right-wingers enjoy talking about the unintended consequences of policies that they dislike, but never about such things about policies that they like.

2024 United States presidential election was updated very quickly.

Trump lawyers fight to keep him on Michigan ballot in 14th Amendment case

Trump lawyer Michael Columbo argued in the Michigan Court of Claims that judges don’t have a role enforcing Section 3 of the 14th Amendment of, which says US officials who take an oath to support the US Constitution are banned from future office if they “engaged in insurrection.”
This is, IMO, a losing strategy, as the US constitution specifically (and in very clear language) says the states have the right to determine how they vote and run their elections.
It's also notable that the argument in no way suggests that Trump is not guilty of insurrection; It only contends that judges shouldn't be allowed to enforce or uphold the 14th, even if he is.

I mean, if I was being excluded from the ballot for having engaged in insurrection, I would at least make some mention of the fact that I hadn't actually engaged in insurrection - unless, of course, I knew that the actual evidence was against such a claim.
If they use the I-didn't-do-it argument their efforts go down the drain upon conviction and there's far less time relitigate. And not including it doesn't prevent the judge from using it in his ruling anyway.

From "The Hill" website.

Republican presidential contender Sen. Tim Scott (R-S.C.) has dropped out of the 2024 GOP primary, the latest high-profile exit from the race.

He needed to spend more time with his "girlfriend."

Tech investor Peter Thiel, who was a major donor to Donald Trump in 2016 and played a role on Trump’s White House transition team, said he’s not giving money to the former president or anyone else this time around.
“There are a lot of things I got wrong,” he acknowledged. “It was crazier than I thought. It was more dangerous than I thought. They couldn’t get the most basic pieces of the government to work. So that was—I think that part was maybe worse than even my low expectations.”

Thiel told the magazine that he had no regrets. But he didn’t contribute to Trump in 2020, according to The Atlantic, and suggested that he wouldn’t donate to any 2024 Republican candidate, including Trump as he seeks to retake the White House.

Thiel said Trump had called him earlier this year looking for $10 million, similar to what Thiel had given Blake Masters and J.D. Vance for their recent Senate races.

Thiel turned him down, according to The Atlantic, and heard later on that Trump had called him a “fucking scumbag.”

Firing 50% of Federal workers would destroy the U.S. government and crash our economy. Absolutely nothing would break? This creature is a fool's fool. And he just lost the votes of federal workers, their families and kin. Some media interviewer should ask him, "If by some miracle, you got elected and did that and it quickly turned into the predictable disaster, would you resign and apologize for destroying America?".

And, "Have you run this by government experts to see if it would in fact be a predictable diaster? If not, why not?".

Firing 50% of Federal workers would destroy the U.S. government and crash our economy. Absolutely nothing would break? This creature is a fool's fool. And he just lost the votes of federal workers, their families and kin. Some media interviewer should ask him, "If by some miracle, you got elected and did that and it quickly turned into the predictable disaster, would you resign and apologize for destroying America?".

And, "Have you run this by government experts to see if it would in fact be a predictable diaster? If not, why not?".
The question would be more like what wouldn't it break. And the answer is probably nothing. Few command structures can take that kind of damage and remain remotely functional.

Oh good lord;

President Joe Biden appeared confused as he stood with world leaders on Thursday and performed his signature awkward handshake as he walked off stage. One man seems to switch places with another while posing for a photo op - while Biden appears bewildered watching the incident unfold. Just last week, Biden again referred to his vice president Kamala Harris as 'president' and later bungled the pronunciation of her name. The presidential flubs came as he welcomed the Las Vegas Gold Knights Stanley Cup champions to the White House on Monday and are part of a series of mistakes on his part when it comes to his running mate. 'President Harris is here to make sure we do it the right way,' Biden said as he kicked off the celebratory event.

Daily Mail

Look of the state of him. He's going to drop out very soon. He has to.

Newsom 2024!!

Oh good lord;

President Joe Biden appeared confused as he stood with world leaders on Thursday and performed his signature awkward handshake as he walked off stage. One man seems to switch places with another while posing for a photo op - while Biden appears bewildered watching the incident unfold. Just last week, Biden again referred to his vice president Kamala Harris as 'president' and later bungled the pronunciation of her name. The presidential flubs came as he welcomed the Las Vegas Gold Knights Stanley Cup champions to the White House on Monday and are part of a series of mistakes on his part when it comes to his running mate. 'President Harris is here to make sure we do it the right way,' Biden said as he kicked off the celebratory event.

Daily Mail

Newsom 2024!!
Right, he's in no shape to run against Obama, like Trump is doing.
:hysterical:

That guy [Ramalamadingdong] already laid off half his brain.

When you have enough money, you don't need but half a brain. That's the glory of being a billionaire. Just ask Elon.
In fact The Donald's entire lifelong quest has been to become an actual real life billionaire, so that the half a brain he was born with would become sufficient. Missed it by thaaaaat much!

You find this stuff interesting for some reason.

I can't help but assume it's because Biden's performance record is so superior to any Republican administration in 40 years.
Tom

Back
Top Bottom