• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

The Race For 2024

• Polls, donors, pledge: Ron DeSantis, Vivek Ramaswamy, Nikki Haley, Chris Christie
  • Donors, pledge: Tim Scott, Doug Burgum
  • Polls, donors: Donald Trump
  • Pledge: Asa Hutchinson
The pledge is to support whichever candidate the Republican Party nominates for President, and also to participate only in Presidential debates hosted by the Republican National Committee. Donald Trump has refused to take that pledge, but the others have done so.
So, the biggest difference between Trump and the other Republicans is "I won't support anyone but me!".

Yeah, I get it. It's been his MO since he first ran for an election. One can hope that other Republicans will call out the egotism.
But I'm not holding my breath.
Tom

These two are still in the race:

Hutchinson booed in Florida after suggesting Trump will be convicted | The Hill
Next March not only brings us March Madness, it will also… we will witness our justice system at work and on trial, in federal and state courtrooms,” Hutchinson, the former governor of Arkansas, said at the Florida Republican Party’s annual Freedom Summit.

“As someone who’s been in the courtroom for over 25 years, as a federal prosecutor, and also in defending some of the most serious federal criminal cases, I can say that there is a significant likelihood that Donald Trump will be found guilty by a jury on a felony offense next year,” he added.

His comments sparked loud boos and groans from the largely pro-Trump crowd.

Why Doug Burgum Is Staying in a Race He Can Afford to Lose - The New York Times - "With a substantial personal fortune, the North Dakota governor is insistent on spreading his message despite calls to drop out."

Tim Scott campaign manager outlines strategy ahead of debate
“To say nothing of the obvious question: How can either candidate [DeSantis or Haley] present a contrast with Donald Trump when he made each of their political careers?” Scott’s campaign manager Jennifer DeCasper wrote in a memo released Monday. “That is the conversation Tim Scott will start Wednesday night.”
Not to mention Vivek Ramaswamy, with all his Trump loving, something that prompted Cenk Uygur to ask why is he running against Donald Trump?
Scott has the “conservative credentials” the Republican base “demands,” which Haley “abandoned,” the memo claimed, calling Haley, a former South Carolina governor, “the darling of Never Trumpers.”

“Does anyone actually believe that a moderate who is running as the darling of Never Trumpers can win the GOP nomination?” DeCasper wrote. “Nikki’s canned lines can’t change the fact that her ceiling is low and getting lower.”

DeCasper predicts Haley and DeSantis will “devolve into a slugfest” during Wednesday night’s debate, which will take place in Miami.

“She’ll attack him for the failing candidate that he is,” she wrote in the memo. “He’ll attack her for being the moderate that she is. They’ll both be right.”

Christie to pro-Trump crowd in Florida: ‘Your anger against the truth is reprehensible’ | The Hill
Republican presidential candidate Chris Christie was booed while walking on stage at the Florida Republican Party’s Freedom Summit event on Saturday.

“Now look, every one of those boos, everyone one of those cat calls, everyone one of those yells will not … solve one problem we face in this country,” Christie said. “Your anger against the truth is reprehensible.”

“When you think about the problems that our country and this world is facing, when you think about that, this type of pettiness … is beneath … the process of electing a president,” he said.

“The problem is … you fear the truth,” he told the crowd. “You want to shout down any voice that says anything different than what you want to hear. And you can continue to do it. And believe me … it doesn’t bother me one bit.”

Seems like neither AH nor CC will get the Trumpie vote, while VR seems desperate to get that vote.

Who is Democratic congressman Dean Phillips – and why is he taking on Biden? | US elections 2024 | The Guardian
In his run for the White House, the little-known Phillips now has to introduce himself to key early voting states then possibly the whole country. Schmidt sees that as an asset: he doesn’t have decades of “political stink on him” to overcome, and he can build up a lot of name recognition quickly because “you can get famous very fast in American politics”, he says.
Joe Biden Has A Dean Phillips-Rashida Tlaib Problem - POLITICO - "The president is being challenged from his right and his left, as fissures deepen in the Democratic coalition."
Rashida Tlaib and Dean Phillips are not political allies. But in recent weeks the two Democratic lawmakers have emerged together as a pincer-like menace to President Joe Biden’s reelection.

From the far left, Tlaib has denounced Biden in scathing language for his unbending support of Israel and accused him in a video of supporting the “genocide” of Palestinians. A Palestinian American herself, Tlaib is threatening to undermine Biden with Muslim and Arab Americans who make up a crucial bloc in swing states like her own Michigan.

Phillips, from the restless middle, has gone further, launching a challenge to Biden in New Hampshire’s ornamental primary. The Minnesota centrist has called for generational change and argued that Biden cannot be counted on to beat former President Donald Trump. Evoking discontent with the economy, he has promised to “make America affordable again.”
What some establishment Democrats say:
The barrages are strikingly similar: Both are pilloried as sanctimonious egotists who do not represent the core of the Democratic Party. Both are accused of insensitivity toward powerful Democratic constituencies (Tlaib, for anti-Israel rhetoric that offends Jewish voters; Phillips for bypassing the Black voters of South Carolina by competing in New Hampshire instead.) Both of them, Democrats warn, are missing the most important political point — the need to unite against Trump and thwart his return to the White House.
Hard to tell what Dean Phillips stands for, other than warmed-over Clintonism.

Dean Phillips’s First Town Hall Unravels Over Israel-Gaza | Vanity Fair
The incident began when a 23-year-old Kenyan immigrant asked Phillips why he hadn’t urged a cease-fire in the conflict that has so far led to the deaths of thousands of Palestinian children

“How do you feel about the Israeli babies?” Phillips shot back, according to The Daily Beast, referencing those killed in Israel during Hamas’s October 7 attack. “And moms, and dads, and grandmas, and hostages in Gaza who were brutally murdered. Before I answer your question, I want to understand if that empathy is across humanity, or only for Palestinians?”

“I care deeply about Palestinian lives. Rashida Tlaib, my Palestinian sister, is my friend,” he said, referring to the only Palestinian member of Congress. “I’m her Jewish brother.”

While speaking with reporters after the event, according to the Post, Phillips clarified that he would “support a cease-fire when Hamas is no longer in a position to murder Israelis.”

As part of his peculiar primary campaign against Joe Biden, Phillips, whose slogan proclaims, “Everyone’s Invited,” has said he will hold 118 additional town halls over the coming months

Maher hits Newsom, Whitmer for running ‘shadow’ 2024 campaigns, credits Dean Phillips for challenging Biden | Fox News - Bill Maher interviewed Dean Phillips on his show.

"Everybody's waiting until 2028," Phillips said. "And I'm making the contention to all of you tonight that I'm not sure that we will have a 2028 election in the way that we expect to happen if the inevitable happens and it is President Biden against Donald Trump. I mean, the numbers are astounding everybody. If we don't start to acknowledge that — there's this bizarre and very dangerous culture of silence in Washington, in certain political-industrial complex circles, that is dangerous — I mean, dangerous. And we're putting blinders on. It'll make 2016 look like a joyful year."

"It's still not too late to jump into this race. I wish we had more competition instead of a coordination. This is not that difficult, and I don't understand why people are so hesitant to do what the country needs so desperately," Phillips said. "I called candidates who I say are more proximate to the race. They wouldn't take my call. They had their political people take the call. They asked me not to use their names. You know, when I say every most of my colleagues talk about this every day in hushed tones in the hallways, it's saying the quiet part out loud."
Anyone can call him/herself a candidate. But will one's run be anything more than a vanity run?

As to Gavin Newsom and Gretchen Whitmer running shadow campaigns, one has to start somewhere.

Who is Dean Phillips, the Minnesotan running for president? Here's what you need to know. - "Phillips, a third-term congressman and heir to a liquor fortune, is challenging Biden for the Democratic presidential nomination."
Standing in the way of Phillips achieving the nearly politically impossible are a Democratic establishment and donor base that have largely united behind Biden.

The Minnesota Democrat received a bachelor's degree in urban studies from Brown University and later joined the family business, Phillips Distilling Company. He worked on the bottling line and in the warehouse before ascending to international salesman and, eventually, CEO.

A few years after his adoptive father died of multiple myeloma, Phillips left the family business to join what was then a small gelato company called Talenti. Phillips helped build Talenti into one of the country's largest gelato brands and best-selling ice creams.

Today, Phillips estimates his own net worth at around $50 million. He said he's loaning his fledgling presidential campaign $2 million to get started and will call donors to fund it going forward.

He's hosted "Common Ground" events, bringing Democrat and Republican constituents together for civil discussions on policy issues.

In Washington, D.C., Phillips has sought bipartisanship while also voting for many of Biden's priorities. He's a member of the bipartisan House Problem Solvers Caucus and was once the group's vice chair.

Even Phillips' Republican colleagues have spoken highly of him, saying despite their policy differences, they respect his desire to better the country.

Phillips said Democrats are "sleepwalking" into a repeat of the 2016 election, when Trump upset Hillary Clinton.

Biden "is one of the only Democrats who I believe can lose the next election, and that's why I believe we need competition," Phillips said.
But do any Republicans ever reciprocate such attentions? Do they ever brag about how well they work with Democrats?

But on policy matters, Phillips has yet to differentiate himself from Biden. A key area where Phillips said he thinks Biden has failed is in uniting Americans.

"I'm bringing a voice of optimism to a country that is in so desperate need of unification. Bringing together teams of rivals — that's the failure right now. The failure to bring together a country that is literally ripping apart at the seams. I know how to do that," Phillips said in an interview with WCCO Radio on Wednesday.

It remains unclear what exactly Phillips could do to unify a deeply divided country.
So he's just like Joe Biden, except that he talks about unifying the country. Much like Vivek Ramaswamy.

If we trust prediction market, there is about a 55% chance that Trump will face Biden in November. Trump will be about a 3-2 favorite.

There is a 23% chance that Trump will face some other Democrat. Who is favored then? It depends on whether the Democrat is some last-minute substitute for a faltering Biden, or is himself a viable star. Prediction market thinks Newsom would be a favorite against Trump.
If Trump is not the nominee, the nod likelihood will split (in roughly equal portions) to DeSantis, Haley or Other. DeSantis would be favored to lose, Haley favored to win, and who knows about Other?

Overall, the GOP is very slightly favored to win the electoral vote, with a 3% chance for an Independent (RFK Jr??). The Democrats of course are heavily favored to win the popular vote.

If we trust prediction market, there is about a 55% chance that Trump will face Biden in November. Trump will be about a 3-2 favorite.

There is a 23% chance that Trump will face some other Democrat. Who is favored then? It depends on whether the Democrat is some last-minute substitute for a faltering Biden, or is himself a viable star. Prediction market thinks Newsom would be a favorite against Trump.
If Trump is not the nominee, the nod likelihood will split (in roughly equal portions) to DeSantis, Haley or Other. DeSantis would be favored to lose, Haley favored to win, and who knows about Other?

Overall, the GOP is very slightly favored to win the electoral vote, with a 3% chance for an Independent (RFK Jr??). The Democrats of course are heavily favored to win the popular vote.

I think that we still have a year to go before the election, and nobody has actually won the nomination for either major political party. A lot of things will change over the next 12 months, so we don't even know what will be on people's minds then. Polls at this point are pretty much worthless, and it isn't at all clear what public opinion will be like before we are even exposed to the 24/7 barrage of election campaign ads, not to mention the question of what things will look like with Donald Trump's trials. I think that it would really be surprising if public opinion will look much like what it does now. We don't even know whether Trump and Biden will be alive or healthy enough to run presidential campaigns.

That's ridiculous.
Iraq was an utter disaster to be sure. But Obama, Biden, and Clinton forged a peace deal with Iran. Imperfect, but it was a start. Republicans torpedoed it from the get go, and Trump finished it off.
Trump also cut US support for NATO and Ukraine. I'm not sure Russia would be doing what their doing if Trump's policies hadn't paved the way.
Calling what we had with Iran a peace deal is wrong.
Not a peace deal, but a working towards peace deal. Opening up Iran leads to a freer Iran. Letting them isolate allows the religious extremists to maintain control. There are millions in Iran ready for modernization.
And they held off on 10/7 until the US unfroze some billions of dollars. It was originally planned for earlier.

They didn't change their ways one bit.
We are playing a long game. There is no magic peace deal. There is no mining moon that explodes that causes Iran to grovel to us at the table. Your plan will never work.
No, we are being played for fools. Repeatedly.

I can click on Google and discover that where I live there is a 20% chance of rain tomorrow. (This number is derived via satellite photos, difficult calculations, etc.) I can also use historic data to guess the probability of rain on the same date two years hence; suppose that number is also 20%.

It is likely that BOTH these numbers are "correct" in the sense that if we amass a large collection of such 20% predictions we find that about 20% of them come true. Yet clearly the long-distance probability estimate is fuzzier and certainly seems "unreliable." But I'm not sure how best to quantify statistically the difference between the short-term and the long-term probability estimate. One way is to observe that the long-term estimate, if repeated periodically, will fluctuate over a broad range, while the estimate closer in time to its target won't have time to fluctuate. (Anyone have a better approach?)

This examples were for a binary choice. Multi-choice is more difficult; prediction markets themselves indicate that the nominees or next Potus may well be someone not yet "on radar screens."

I think that we still have a year to go before the election, and nobody has actually won the nomination for either major political party. A lot of things will change over the next 12 months, so we don't even know what will be on people's minds then....

With exceptions, I think what you write is correct. But that doesn't make the current predictions irrelevant. Some people might want to make travel plans, or even purchase weapons based on such year-away predictions. Foreigners seeking a better life may be in the process of changing their aspired target away from U.S.A.

If Newsom really is more likely to beat Trump than Biden is, kingmakers should be exploring options NOW.

(Though beyond the scope of this sub-debate, please note that we're not home free in the 22%-likely event that Biden beats Trump in the electoral college. The election then is likely to be as close as 2020's was; the insurrection that follows may dwarf the January 6 event in its casualty count and other undesired results.)

And anyway, is the 2024 election campaign really so difficult to predict? Almost half of America will prefer Putin's side in any European war, because Trump tells them to. Welfare and infrastructure will be big issues, but many Americans will prefer to focus on firing teachers who "preach wokeness." The economy will be important but "Biden's economy" is better than any before by some metrics, yet Trump fans insist the economy was better under Trump.

Judged from right now, the most likely single outcome in the 2024 election is that Trump will eke out a narrow electoral college win over Biden. Let's not "hide our heads in the sand" about this.

Almost half of America will prefer Putin's side in any European war, because Trump tells them to.
I think you might be missing one dynamic.
Looking at last night’s results it is apparent that a lot of Republican voters care more about reproductive freedom than fealty to the GQP. And who is their nemesis regarding reproductive freedom? Why, the guy who brags about having destroyed Roe v Wade, of course. So, IMHO :

the most likely single outcome in the 2024 election is that Trump will eke out a narrow electoral college win over Biden
… is incorrect. I think Cheato is going to go down in flames, BIGLY. Not to say he won’t be able to cheat his way into office, but I sincerely doubt that he will ever win any election.

I'd say the one Republican that won last night was Nikki Haley. She has enough "outside" the Trump sphere cred (kind of) that she can do the "We need a new direction" angle successfully. DeSantis can to, but he is really just a regionalized version of Trump... in boots. Their debate is tonight... oh goody.

I'd say the one Republican that won last night was Nikki Haley. She has enough "outside" the Trump sphere cred (kind of) that she can do the "We need a new direction" angle successfully. DeSantis can to, but he is really just a regionalized version of Trump... in boots. Their debate is tonight... oh goody.
What happened last night?

The third Republican-candidate debate is this night, as I write this.

Back
Top Bottom