• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

The Race For 2024

Lisa Murkowski has explicitly rejected endorsing Donald Trump, and she is hinting at bolting from the party. If she does so, I think it will be more along the lines of becoming an Independent like Sanders, King, and Sinema. Those all still caucus with Democrats. I doubt that Murkowski would caucus with Democrats or become one, but you never know. She'll probably vote for Biden, although maybe not make that public.

Lisa Murkowski, done with Donald Trump, won’t rule out leaving GOP

Lisa Murkowski has explicitly rejected endorsing Donald Trump, and she is hinting at bolting from the party. If she does so, I think it will be more along the lines of becoming an Independent like Sanders, King, and Sinema. Those all still caucus with Democrats. I doubt that Murkowski would caucus with Democrats or become one, but you never know. She'll probably vote for Biden, although maybe not make that public.

Lisa Murkowski, done with Donald Trump, won’t rule out leaving GOP

I don't have finger on the pulse Alaskan politics, anymore. But, I can tell you there is strong Independant history. She may survive. Maybe as Govenor.

Gee @Jason Harvestdancer I asked you three questions six years ago and you wouldn’t touch any of them. That’s how you landed in my “ignore” list.
Funny how that works, eh?
🤪
I asked you one question three months ago and you wouldn't touch it. That's how I landed on your "ignore" list.

RFK Jr. comes ‘home’ to his anti-vaccine group, commits to ‘a break’ for U.S. infectious disease research - Nov. 3, 2023, 6:02 PM PDT - NBC News
He then laid out his vision for a Kennedy presidency, which would include telling the National Institutes of Health to take “a break” from studying infectious diseases, like Covid-19 and measles, and pivoting the agency to the study of chronic diseases, like diabetes and obesity. Kennedy has suggested without evidence that researchers and pharmaceutical companies are driven by profit to neglect such chronic conditions and invest in ineffective and even harmful treatments; he includes vaccines among them.

“I’m gonna say to NIH scientists, God bless you all,” Kennedy said. “Thank you for public service. We’re going to give infectious disease a break for about eight years.”

Kennedy’s remarks came at the end of the first day of a conference for the country’s largest anti-vaccine organization, Children’s Health Defense. Kennedy signed on with Children’s Health Defense in 2015 and served as its chairman and chief litigation counsel until April, when he announced he would go on leave to run for president.

Gee @Jason Harvestdancer I asked you three questions six years ago and you wouldn’t touch any of them. That’s how you landed in my “ignore” list.
🤪
I asked you one question three months ago and you wouldn't touch it. That's how I landed on your "ignore" list.

But neither of you guys is ignoring each other now. This is why I never bother with ignore lists. They only exist so that people can publicly declare they are ignoring each other. However, actually ignoring someone in a social media forum is much more difficult. If I intend to ignore someone, I just do it without announcing to the membership of the board that I am ignoring that person. If I can't do that, then that's on me.

RFK Jr. comes ‘home’ to his anti-vaccine group, commits to ‘a break’ for U.S. infectious disease research - Nov. 3, 2023, 6:02 PM PDT - NBC News
He then laid out his vision for a Kennedy presidency, which would include telling the National Institutes of Health to take “a break” from studying infectious diseases, like Covid-19 and measles, and pivoting the agency to the study of chronic diseases, like diabetes and obesity. Kennedy has suggested without evidence that researchers and pharmaceutical companies are driven by profit to neglect such chronic conditions and invest in ineffective and even harmful treatments; he includes vaccines among them.

“I’m gonna say to NIH scientists, God bless you all,” Kennedy said. “Thank you for public service. We’re going to give infectious disease a break for about eight years.”

Kennedy’s remarks came at the end of the first day of a conference for the country’s largest anti-vaccine organization, Children’s Health Defense. Kennedy signed on with Children’s Health Defense in 2015 and served as its chairman and chief litigation counsel until April, when he announced he would go on leave to run for president.
Curious, why should we trust the evil NIH for studies on diabetes ad obesity if we can't trust them with vaccines? Populism is drowning us. Vaccine denial was a frustrating niche issue (generally far left), but Covid-19 grabbed the far right and it is growing.

🤪

But neither of you guys is ignoring each other now. This is why I never bother with ignore lists. They only exist so that people can publicly declare they are ignoring each other. However, actually ignoring someone in a social media forum is much more difficult. If I intend to ignore someone, I just do it without announcing to the membership of the board that I am ignoring that person. If I can't do that, then that's on me.
I never put anyone on ignore. He publicly announced on more than one occasion that he's putting me on ignore. Last time it was because I asked him a question.

🤪

I never put anyone on ignore. He publicly announced on more than one occasion that he's putting me on ignore. Last time it was because I asked him a question.

So...He started it? I was just about to send you to go stand in the corner, because Elixir said you started it.

🤪

If someone’s posts are long and not of interest I will ignore them. If someone excessively repeats propaganda, I ignore them. The function isn’t to ignore the person it is to make their posts small and unobtrusive on my page. If an interesting response is given to something they say, I’ll sometimes make it visible.
🤪

So...He started it? I was just about to send you to go stand in the corner, because Elixir said you started it.
👍👍👍
“Nobody puts Baby in the corner!”

Ooops, wrong thread. Never mind!

If someone’s posts are long and not of interest I will ignore them. If someone excessively repeats propaganda, I ignore them. The function isn’t to ignore the person it is to make their posts small and unobtrusive on my page. If an interesting response is given to something they say, I’ll sometimes make it visible.

In my experience, the ignore feature just made the individual stand out more on the page, especially since the type of person I wanted to ignore was a magnet to other posters. I still feel that the feature is mainly there as a substitute for sticking one's tongue out at another poster. I have found smilies to be just as useful at expressing one's emotional state.

In my experience, the ignore feature just made the individual stand out more on the page, especially since the type of person I wanted to ignore was a magnet to other posters. I still feel that the feature is mainly there as a substitute for sticking one's tongue out at another poster. I have found smilies to be just as useful at expressing one's emotional state.
The ignored person’s posts do stand out. But they always fit on one screen-page, and I know when I’ve passed them.
This site works very nicely: if you want to see a single post it’s one click, right there.

"Crooked Joe Biden is, by far, the worst President in the history of the United States!"

Worse than James Buchanan, Franklin Pierce, Andrew Johnson, or Warren Harding?

Trump is now hawking "Trump Bibles".

The irony. Trump peddling Bibles. In which the Old Testament has Moses leading migrants through a desert and declaring that strangers in your land should be welcomed.

The Keys to the White House yet again. Thirteen criteria for predicting the outcome of a Presidential election. These "keys" can be either true or false, and if at least 6 of them are false, then the Presidency changes parties.

This system has been remarkably successful for every Presidential election since 1984, except for 2000, which was a squeaker that was decided by the Supreme Court.

From 2020,
The Keys to the White House: Forecast for 2020 · Issue 2.4, Fall 2020
Does Allan Lichtman Stand by His “13 Keys” Prediction of a Joe Biden Win? | American University, Washington, D.C.

This year,
The Keys to the White House:
The Outlook for 2024
- late December 2023 - Allan J. Lichtman, the inventor of this system of prediction.
What is Allan Lichtman's prediction for the 2024 US presidential election?
Updated Post: Where Allan Lichtman's "13 Keys to the White House" Stand in 2024: : fivethirtyeight

AL's assessments:

KEY 1 (Party Mandate): After the midterm elections, the incumbent party holds more seats in the U.S. House of Representatives than it did after the previous midterm elections.
False

KEY 2 (Contest): There is no serious contest for the incumbent-party nomination.
True

KEY 3 (Incumbency): The incumbent-party candidate is the sitting president.
True

KEY 4 (Third party): There is no significant third-party or independent campaign.
Leans False

KEY 5 (Short-term economy): The economy is not in recession during the election campaign.
Leans True

KEY 6 (Long-term economy): Real per-capita economic growth during the term equals or exceeds mean growth
during the previous two terms.
Leans True

KEY 7 (Policy change): The incumbent administration effects major changes in national policy.
True

KEY 8 (Social unrest): There is no sustained social unrest during the term.
Leans True

KEY 9 (Scandal): The incumbent administration is untainted by major scandal.
Leans True

KEY 10 (Foreign/military failure): The incumbent administration suffers no major failure in foreign or military affairs.
Leans False

KEY 11 (Foreign/military success): The incumbent administration achieves a major success in foreign or
military affairs.
Leans False

KEY 12 (Incumbent charisma): The incumbent-party candidate is charismatic or a national hero.
False

KEY 13 (Challenger charisma): The challenging-party candidate is not charismatic or a national hero.
True

• True: 4
  • Leans True: 4
  • Leans False: 3
  • False: 2

On primary challengers, Dean Phillips have dropped out and Marianne Williamson continues to be insignificant. "The White House party has lost every election during the past 100 years in which there is an open seat and an incumbent party nomination battle."

Charisma must extend beyond the party's base to be counted. "There were many Reagan Democrats, but virtually no Trump Democrats." If anything, Donald Trump seems to have negative charisma to many people.

Scandal? "The Republicans have been trying to pin something illegal on Joe Biden for years and have come up empty."

AL notes that Joe Biden lost the House in the 2022 midterms and also that he seems devoid of charisma. One can still have some charisma in one's old age, as Bernie Sanders demonstrates, with nicknames like "Uncle Bernie" and "Tio Bernie" (Spanish version).

Third party? That will depend on the likes of RFK Jr., Jill Stein, and Cornel West.

Foreign/military failure? The withdrawal from Afghanistan was chaotic and an embarrassment. Like those Vietnamese trying to board a US helicopter above the US embassy in Saigon, some Afghans tried to hitch a ride on military transport airplanes.

The Russo-Ukraine War has become stalemated, despite some success on Ukraine's side, and some Republicans are obstructing aid to Ukraine.

The Israel-Hamas War has led to much more death and destruction by Israel than by Hamas, and the Biden Admin seems unwilling to forcefully confront the Netanyahu Admin.

Foreign/military success? None, at least so far. Ben Netanyahu hasn't said "Dod" yet (Hebrew for "uncle").

Beyond the scope of the Keys, there are two unique circumstances in 2024. At 81, Biden will be the oldest major party presidential candidate in U.S. history, topping Ronald Reagan in 1984 by 8 years. More significant are the unprecedented 91 felony indictments against Trump, including charges that he subverted American democracy and jeopardized the nation’s security. These are the most important indictments in the history of the United States, more important than the indictments of the Watergate conspirators or the atomic bomb spies.

Trump is a proven master of delay and may succeed in postponing his trials until after the election. However, if that ploy fails and Trump is tried and found guilty of serious felonies, this will scramble the race for president in unknown ways, given the lack of historical antecedents for analysis.

AL concludes in "Campiagning by the Keys"
On a positive note, the Keys have implications for governing the country and conducting presidential campaigns. The Keys show that what counts in presidential elections is governing, as measured by the consequential events of a presidential term, not packaging, image making, or campaigning. If candidates understood how elections really worked, they would avoid the empty, scripted, and consultant-driven campaigns that the American people have too often endured. Instead, they would strive to conduct substantive contests for the presidency and establish the foundations for governing the country during the next four years, thereby improving the prospects for themselves or their party to win another term. Candidates should explain their vision for the subsequent four years, specify the intended bills and executive orders of their first 100 days, and indicate the kinds of persons they would elevate to the cabinet, the White House, and the Supreme Court.

Looking at that Reddit post, here are its changes

KEY 4 (Third party): There is no significant third-party or independent campaign.
(Leans False) Leans True

No Labels has flopped: Larry Hogan and Joe Manchin have no interest in running on its ticket, and RFK Jr. has gotten on only some swing states' ballots.

KEY 6 (Long-term economy): Real per-capita economic growth during the term equals or exceeds mean growth
during the previous two terms.
(Leans True) True

KEY 8 (Social unrest): There is no sustained social unrest during the term.
Leans True

"... but there’s potential for the pro-Palestinian protests to turn violent or more disruptive than they are now or for there to be serious street violence after the Trump trials. But so far, none of that has materialized (and FWIW, this key has only been called false in 2020 and 1968, so the bar is HIGH to flip it.)"

KEY 10 (Foreign/military failure): The incumbent administration suffers no major failure in foreign or military affairs.
(Leans False) Tossup

Doesn't think that Ukraine or the Middle East are lost yet.

KEY 11 (Foreign/military success): The incumbent administration achieves a major success in foreign or
military affairs.
Leans False

Only Ukraine having big victories is likely to make this true.

• True: 5
  • Leans True: 4
  • Tossup: 1
  • Leans False: 1
  • False: 2

Robert F. Kennedy Jr. picks Nicole Shanahan as his running mate for independent White House bid | AP News
Robert F. Kennedy Jr. chose Nicole Shanahan on Tuesday to be his vice presidential pick, adding a wealthy but nationally unknown figure to his independent White House bid that’s trying to appeal to voters disaffected by a rematch of the 2020 election.

Shanahan, 38, is a California lawyer and philanthropist who’s never held elected office. She leads Bia-Echo Foundation, an organization she founded to direct money toward issues including women’s reproductive science, criminal justice reform and environmental causes.

Kennedy, a former Democrat, made the announcement in Oakland, California, where Shanahan was raised in an impoverished family.

“Nicole and I both left the Democratic Party,” he said. “Our values didn’t change. The Democratic Party did.”
???

The Democratic Party isn't an anti-vaxxer party that became a pro-vaxxer one.

What to know about Nicole Shanahan, the philanthropist picked by Robert F. Kennedy Jr. as his running mate | AP News
Shanahan, 38, is a California lawyer and philanthropist. Shanahan leads the Bia-Echo Foundation, an organization she founded to direct money toward issues including women’s reproductive science, criminal justice reform and environmental causes. She also is a Stanford University fellow and was the founder and chief executive of ClearAccessIP, a patent management firm that was sold in 2020.

On Tuesday, Shanahan talked about her hardscrabble upbringing in Oakland, the daughter of a mother who immigrated from China and an Irish and German-American father “plagued by substance abuse” who “struggled to keep a job.” Touching on her family’s reliance on government assistance, Shanahan said that, although she had become “very wealthy later on in life,” she felt she could relate to Americans being “just one misfortune away from disaster.”

“The purpose of wealth is to help those in need. That’s what it’s for,” Shanahan said. “And I want to bring that back to politics, too. That is the purpose of privilege.”
She is an anti-vaxxer. One marvels at upper-middle-class and upper-class people who are anti-vaxxers, when they could easily do the research on vaccines, or if they have enough money, hire someone to do so.
The attorney talked about her overall passion to help fight “chronic disease,” referencing her own struggles with fertility and her five-year-old daughter, who she said has autism. Shanahan cited “toxic substances in our environment,” “electromagnetic pollution” from devices like cellphones and — drawing her largest applause of the day — the lack of research surrounding long-term effects of childhood vaccinations.

“Our children are not well, our people are not well, and our country will not be well for very much longer, if we don’t heed this desperate call for attention,” she said.
RFK Jr. has proposed pausing research on infectious diseases and redirecting research efforts toward chronic ones, so he and NS are much alike.
Shanahan was married to Google co-founder Sergey Brin from 2018 to 2023, and they have a young daughter. She was raised in the San Francisco Bay Area, where Kennedy made his announcement.

Before the announcement, Kennedy’s campaign manager and daughter-in-law, Amaryllis Fox Kennedy, praised Shanahan’s work on behalf of “honest governance, racial equity, regenerative agriculture and children’s and maternal health.” She said the work “reflects many of our country’s most urgent needs.”
RFK Jr. himself:
“She’ll tell you that she now understands at the defense agencies work for the military industrial complex, that health agencies work for big pharma and the USDA works for big ag and the processed food cartels,” Kennedy said at his Oakland rally. “The EPA is in cahoots with the polluters, that the scientists can be mercenaries, that government officials sometimes act as censors, and that the Fed works for Wall Street and allows millionaire bankers to prey upon on Main Street and the American worker.”

“I wanted someone who would honor the traditions our nation, as a nation of immigrants, but who also understands that to be a nation, we need to secure borders,” he said.
NS has long donated to Democratic candidates, and she financed a Super Bowl add that supported RFK Jr.

Back
Top Bottom