• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

The Religion Portion Of The Talk Freethought Has Livened Up A Bit Of Late

That's too bad, religion hasn't been an interesting topic of discussion since at least the 1880s.

That's too bad, religion hasn't been an interesting topic of discussion since at least the 1880s.

[Laughs] See?! It looks quite like a teen aged vixen, stunningly good looking and scantily clad, without a brain in her head, proclaiming independence from the harm that a lack of critical acclaim might do to the possible financial profits of yet another stupid Freddy Krueger installment.

Postscript: I didn't mean to imply that atheists are the same as, alleged Satanists. Only that they are just as stupid.

I am certainly interested in the free exchange of opposing ideas in the spirit of discovery. Insulting one entire side of that discussion by summarily calling them 'stupid' does little to further such exchange.

If this forum consisted of nothing but a bunch of skeptics patting each other on the back for being skeptical it would be supremely boring. I continue to welcome the ongoing discussion of disparate viewpoints. Otherwise being an atheist is like being someone who doesn't collect baseball cards. It's not a basis of common shared interest around which a community can grow.

There was a time when I, a conservative christian evangelist for 18 years, truly believed that everyone who did not know what I "knew" was ignorant. Over time I came to understand that these people did, in fact, have good reasons for believing (or not believing) as they did. Over many years I too came to terms with my skepticism and am now comfortable with it. I am not the only ex-preacher here. I only bring this up because I spent many years and great effort going to college and peering deep into the wealth of thought, philosophy, scholarship and rationalizations underpinning the faith I once defended. I did not come to my present state lightly.

I respect that you have what you believe to be good reasons for believing as you do. Kindly extend some of the rest of us the same courtesy. Or don't, if that's your preference. It doesn't take much intelligence or courage to sit behind a keyboard and bully or insult others. It takes both to listen to what others have to say and answer them with rational arguments and actual evidence. Condescension is a poor method for conversion.

The OP of this thread makes me feel as if you're looking for a pat on the back for having perked up the discussions in the General Religion section of this forum. I'll give you one. Thanks for joining the discussion.

Has it not? Do you approve?

3101105.jpg

If this forum consisted of nothing but a bunch of skeptics patting each other on the back for being skeptical it would be supremely boring.
I doubt that there are many true skeptics here. There are religiophobic antitheists, and skeptics pretending to be RAs, but TSs are not in abundance.

If this forum consisted of nothing but a bunch of skeptics patting each other on the back for being skeptical it would be supremely boring.
I doubt that there are many true skeptics here. There are religiophobic antitheists, and skeptics pretending to be RAs, but TSs are not in abundance.

What are you basing that on? Besides straw men caricatures unrelated to anyone who's actually on the site, I mean.

I am certainly interested in the free exchange of opposing ideas in the spirit of discovery. Insulting one entire side of that discussion by summarily calling them 'stupid' does little to further such exchange.

Well for many atheists, this is akin to trying to have a free exchange of opposing ideas about the Easter Rabbit.

It's nonsensical and not worth discussing.

Well for many atheists, this is akin to trying to have a free exchange of opposing ideas about the Easter Rabbit.

Exactly. 'Bullying' wasn't my intent, my intent was answering the question honestly.

If you have the motivation to deconvert the religious, all power to you, but I honestly don't care and have become pretty thoroughly comfortable with the idea that religion is nonsense, and God is unknowable. End of story, done.

Once you move on from religion you confront the fact that the universe is filled with an almost infinite number of more interesting and relevant topics, so no.. I don't welcome the fact that Talk Freethought is still hung up on God, rape, and minimum wage.

Except that we can and often do have a free exchange of opposing ideas about who is better, the Sith or the Jedi...or any number of imaginary/fictional groups.

Except that we can and often do have a free exchange of opposing ideas about who is better, the Sith or the Jedi...or any number of imaginary/fictional groups.

But in that situation both groups are known to be fictional. Not so a Christian vs atheist religious discussion.

As a member of your side, apparently, I'm very happy with the appellation 'stupid' from the other side. Them doing so continues my sense of superiority that I am not so brain dead as to resort to calling opposition names. heh

BTW how are the mindless wimps handling societal changes like Ms. Goldmedal being welcomed into the political arena as a republican?

What are you basing that on? Besides straw men caricatures unrelated to anyone who's actually on the site, I mean.
Because you're awesome. That's what.

I suspect that True Sceptics are just as rare and elusive as True Christians, True Republicans, and True Scotsmen. ;)

But in that situation both groups are known to be fictional. Not so a Christian vs atheist religious discussion.

Really? Do tell.

How are Those expressing [woo]Christian Ideas[/woo] not fictional?

I think you may have misunderstood the point. My take was that the Christian vs atheist discussion has at least one group that is not espousing a fictional character unlike the other situation in which both groups are espousing fictional characters.

Postscript: I didn't mean to imply that atheists are the same as, alleged Satanists. Only that they are just as stupid.

In the other thread you broke St. Paul's commandment not to use obscene language, and now you've broken Jesus's commandment not to call your brother a fool...

In the other thread you broke St. Paul's commandment not to use obscene language, and now you've broken Jesus's commandment not to call your brother a fool...
I'm sure his superior command of scripture can resolve any apparent violation of divine commandment.
Or maybe he'll just metaphor his way out of it....

Exactly. 'Bullying' wasn't my intent, my intent was answering the question honestly.

If you have the motivation to deconvert the religious, all power to you, but I honestly don't care and have become pretty thoroughly comfortable with the idea that religion is nonsense, and God is unknowable. End of story, done.

Once you move on from religion you confront the fact that the universe is filled with an almost infinite number of more interesting and relevant topics, so no.. I don't welcome the fact that Talk Freethought is still hung up on God, rape, and minimum wage.

Seriously, if you want me to rape a God, you are gonna have to pay me a LOT more than minimum wage.

Back
Top Bottom