• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

The Right's War On Teachers

And such a handle on the human psyche as "polity" over dancing to an enforced schedule, upon which there will be reprisals for failure and judgement to the extent it is failed particularly in a world where this is not a universal value across cultural lines of racially isolated communities equates into a tool for racial sorting under the guise of "polity" sorting.
Yeah, shop opening times should be fluid. Customers hate predictable opening hours.

Oh my. So how does this mix with my statement that there is no "black culture" again? Is it that ridiculous views of some whites on racial culture have validity because of ridiculous views of some blacks have on racial culture?
There's no singular black culture, just as there's no singular white culture, but within America there is definitely an African-American culture distinct from other American cultures, like the culture of WASPs or American Jewish cultures or immigrant Catholic cultures
WASPs have a culture?
Yes.

Every person has an ethnicity, everyone has an accent, everyone was raised in a particular culture(s).

Oh my. So how does this mix with my statement that there is no "black culture" again? Is it that ridiculous views of some whites on racial culture have validity because of ridiculous views of some blacks have on racial culture?
There's no singular black culture, just as there's no singular white culture, but within America there is definitely an African-American culture distinct from other American cultures, like the culture of WASPs or American Jewish cultures or immigrant Catholic cultures
WASPs have a culture?
Yes.

Every person has an ethnicity, everyone has an accent, everyone was raised in a particular culture(s).
Please... do tell of the American WASP culture.

WASPs have a culture?
Yes.

First, my exposure to American WASP culture is from the popular portrayal of it in movies and television shows. My first exposure to the word was from the 1988 film Beaches, where Bette Midler's character calls Barbara Hershey's character a 'WASP queen'. I was very young at the time and didn't realise that Bette and Barbara not only had different personalities, they came from different worlds. So I can regale you with what I have taken away about WASP culture from American entertainment, but I don't think that would be of use to either of us.

Second, you are literally doing the exact thing I warned against. That WASP culture might be predominant in America, that it might be regarded as some kind of 'default', doesn't mean it's not a culture. Cultures are not something that only 'ethnics' have. WASPs are a crayon in the packet, not the blank page to cover in other 'cultures'.

Third, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_Anglo-Saxon_Protestants

...an objective critique of black culture.

This is pretty damning, right here:
What I find funniest is the use of the word "objective". Because while I am absolutely certain Steve Bank's analysis would attempt to be objective, it would almost certainly be paternal, presumptive, and most of all grossly ignorant of what it means, how it feels, how it is to be black in America.

I can just see Steve Bank trying to convince them that his critique is "objective", as he is being mocked and handwaved away, "But my critique is objective! It's objective!!!"

I mean heck, the term "black culture" itself is fucking insulting seeing the term should be "American Culture". Who is talking about "white culture" in the US? Is there even a "white culture"? I mean beyond eating large portions of meat? People only seem to want to discuss "culture" when belittling a group of people, even when objectively doing so.
You're kidding, right? What do you think "antiracists" are talking about when they are talking about whiteness?
So enlighten me on white culture.
There is no white culture. White people are not an undifferentiated background on to which other cultures add splashes of ethnic flavour.

I could tell you about my perception of the predominant Anglosphere culture I grew up in, or the culture of my Slavic European parents, but they're different cultures.

But antiracists put all white people and white cultures together into 'whiteness'. If you want to know what 'antiracists' think whiteness is, there is any number of resources where they will tell you.
You seem comfortable talking for them up to this point. Come on, go for it all. Tell us about what they say whiteness is.
This is what the National Museum of African American History and Culture says about whiteness.

It also briefly hosted this helpful document about whiteness and white people:
View attachment 39602View attachment 39603View attachment 39604

Whiteness, like masculinity, is toxic.

For example, Biden working while he has COVID "epitomizes white supremacy urgency".

Being on time and honouring arrangements you've made seems to really, really upset antiracists.

In Oregon, the Oregon Health Authority delayed a meeting already scheduled between multiple parties because not delaying it plays into the hands of white supremacy:

The agency's office for equity and inclusion, however, prefers not to rush the business of government. In fact, the office's program manager delayed a meeting with partner organizations on the stated grounds that "urgency is a white supremacy value."

In an email obtained by Reason, Regional Health Equity Coalition Program Manager Danielle Droppers informed the community that a scheduled conversation between OHA officials and relevant members of the public would not take place as planned.

"Thank you for your interest in attending the community conversation between Regional Health Equity Coalitions (RHECs) and Community Advisory Councils (CACs) to discuss the Community Investment Collaboratives (CICs)," wrote Droppers. "We recognize that urgency is a white supremacy value that can get in the way of more intentional and thoughtful work, and we want to attend to this dynamic. Therefore, we will reach out at a later date to reschedule."
Not going to unwrap all of this but:

You understand that there is a difference between masculinity and toxic masculinity, right?

Toxic masculinity does not allow for the expression of strong emotions, except, possibly anger. Toxic masculinity relies on brute strength rather than compassion and reason, values competition over cooperation, values sex for sex's sake/the ability to assert domination and to produce children and of course, male orgasm over cooperation, using aggression rather than persuasion, using aggression as a main feature of personality and interactions with others, etc.

...an objective critique of black culture.

This is pretty damning, right here:
What I find funniest is the use of the word "objective". Because while I am absolutely certain Steve Bank's analysis would attempt to be objective, it would almost certainly be paternal, presumptive, and most of all grossly ignorant of what it means, how it feels, how it is to be black in America.

I can just see Steve Bank trying to convince them that his critique is "objective", as he is being mocked and handwaved away, "But my critique is objective! It's objective!!!"

I mean heck, the term "black culture" itself is fucking insulting seeing the term should be "American Culture". Who is talking about "white culture" in the US? Is there even a "white culture"? I mean beyond eating large portions of meat? People only seem to want to discuss "culture" when belittling a group of people, even when objectively doing so.
You're kidding, right? What do you think "antiracists" are talking about when they are talking about whiteness?
So enlighten me on white culture.
There is no white culture. White people are not an undifferentiated background on to which other cultures add splashes of ethnic flavour.

I could tell you about my perception of the predominant Anglosphere culture I grew up in, or the culture of my Slavic European parents, but they're different cultures.

But antiracists put all white people and white cultures together into 'whiteness'. If you want to know what 'antiracists' think whiteness is, there is any number of resources where they will tell you.
You seem comfortable talking for them up to this point. Come on, go for it all. Tell us about what they say whiteness is.
This is what the National Museum of African American History and Culture says about whiteness.

It also briefly hosted this helpful document about whiteness and white people:
View attachment 39602View attachment 39603View attachment 39604

Whiteness, like masculinity, is toxic.

For example, Biden working while he has COVID "epitomizes white supremacy urgency".

Being on time and honouring arrangements you've made seems to really, really upset antiracists.

In Oregon, the Oregon Health Authority delayed a meeting already scheduled between multiple parties because not delaying it plays into the hands of white supremacy:

The agency's office for equity and inclusion, however, prefers not to rush the business of government. In fact, the office's program manager delayed a meeting with partner organizations on the stated grounds that "urgency is a white supremacy value."

In an email obtained by Reason, Regional Health Equity Coalition Program Manager Danielle Droppers informed the community that a scheduled conversation between OHA officials and relevant members of the public would not take place as planned.

"Thank you for your interest in attending the community conversation between Regional Health Equity Coalitions (RHECs) and Community Advisory Councils (CACs) to discuss the Community Investment Collaboratives (CICs)," wrote Droppers. "We recognize that urgency is a white supremacy value that can get in the way of more intentional and thoughtful work, and we want to attend to this dynamic. Therefore, we will reach out at a later date to reschedule."
Not going to unwrap all of this but:

You understand that there is a difference between masculinity and toxic masculinity, right?
I understand that feminists only ever speak about toxic masculinity. Every masculine trait they talk about is, according to them, toxic. If they have some conception of masculinity that is not regarded as toxic, I haven't read about it.

But since I have a feminist on the line, could you talk about some masculine traits that are desirable?

Toxic masculinity does not allow for the expression of strong emotions, except, possibly anger. Toxic masculinity relies on brute strength rather than compassion and reason, values competition over cooperation, values sex for sex's sake/the ability to assert domination and to produce children and of course, male orgasm over cooperation, using aggression rather than persuasion, using aggression as a main feature of personality and interactions with others, etc.

Strong/healthy masculinity is comfortable having and expressing a full range of emotions, not just anger. Strong/healthy masculinity addresses disrespect rather than expresses disrespect. Strong/healthy masculinity is confident and able to express empathy and compassion towards others. Strong/healthy masculinity offers support where needed and asks for support when needed. Strong/healthy masculinity can show vulnerability, can stand against unwarranted aggression and violence and disrespect.

WASPs have a culture?
Yes.

Jesus camp. Republicanism. Jingoistic patriotism. Unquestioning loyalty. Sophistry dressed up as intellectual Cambridge style academia. Punctuality lest judgement. Conformity above all. Thanksgiving with boring ass bullshit foods. Self-righteousness.

Strong/healthy masculinity is comfortable having and expressing a full range of emotions, not just anger. Strong/healthy masculinity addresses disrespect rather than expresses disrespect. Strong/healthy masculinity is confident and able to express empathy and compassion towards others. Strong/healthy masculinity offers support where needed and asks for support when needed. Strong/healthy masculinity can show vulnerability, can stand against unwarranted aggression and violence and disrespect.
Okay, perhaps you can answer the question this time.

'Masculine' traits are traits that are more predominant in men than in women. What traits that are currently regarded as masculine are 'healthy'?

The idea that a trait is healthy or unhealthy on its own generally belies a deep and enduring misunderstanding of how traits serve adaptation in the first place.

The adaptiveness and positivity of a trait often lies in how someone interacts with that trait, and so the things that make masculine traits "unhealthy" are not the traits themselves but the culture that has been built in them around the traits.

As such, it is not apt to answer such a question as which traits are positive or negative, but instead it is more appropriate to provide discussion of how the traits may be positively interactive.

'Masculine' traits are traits that are more predominant in men than in women. What traits that are currently regarded as masculine are 'healthy'?
What traits are considered masculine? In your world, I mean. I answer questions. You don't like the answers so you say I didn't answer the question. So let's be clear about what you consider to be a masculine strength.

What traits are considered masculine? In your world, I mean. I answer questions. You don't like the answers so you say I didn't answer the question. So let's be clear about what you consider to be a masculine strength.
On average, males tend to be more dominant, assertive, risk-prone, thrill-seeking, tough-minded, emotionally stable, utilitarian, and open to abstract ideas.

What traits are considered masculine? In your world, I mean. I answer questions. You don't like the answers so you say I didn't answer the question.
I don't like when you don't answer the question but claimed to have done so, no.

...You go to school to learn what your parents don't know, and encounter ideas and perspectives that you could never have been exposed to othweriwse, ...

Education ought to allow children to grow to their potential which could mean, they outgrow their parents' knowledge and critical thinking skills, but then that risks challenging conservative authority. I guess that's why conservatives have to go to war against "Marxist teachers" to "liberate children."
In exactly the same way that slave catchers would liberate negroes from the tyranny of freedom.

Conservative parents see providing their children with the cognitive tools to see through their indoctrination, as theft of their property. Their children's minds are the sole property of their parents, because their children are their sole property.

It's a mindset that is rarely acknowledged, and even more rarely challenged, as to do so is political suicide; People need to understand that they do not own their children. They are not property, they are not a possession to be fought over, they are individuals with rights of their own, whether the idiots who believe you can own another human being understand it or not.

And one of those rights is the right to the information and the reasoning skills necessary to make informed decisions about what to think and what to believe.

Several debates are being conflated in this thread. Let me try to separate them.

Debate A: Is it appropriate to hold or voice racial/ethnic stereotypes?

As I wrote earlier, BOTH "sides" will take EITHER side of this question, as it suits them. For example:
During my travels in the 20th century, Americans were noted for hard-working, no-nonsense, don't-procrastinate attitudes. I met people who had immigrated to USA, then returned, not liking the hard-driving ethic.

Different ethnic groups have different cultures, but a national stereotype generally applies, by default, to the dominant culture.
Funny, as I view the poor Hispanics to be the hardest workers in the US.
:cool: This, from Mr. Higgins who, I think, is taking the anti-stereotype side in the discussion!

IMHO, ethnic stereotypes DO sometimes have utility, when used in moderation. BUT it IS rude and "politically incorrect" to apply them frivolously or wrongly, as the bureaucrat condemned in OP does. This brings us to

Debate B: Should the bureaucrat have bothered with the silly sentence, even if that's what she believed? NO. And should we care?

Take a breath. Let it out. During that breath NINETEEN THOUSAND Americans did 20,000 stupid or criminal things. Did Whatshername incite a rebellion in our country's capital? Did she shoot an unarmed man? Was she the National Security Advisor who committed treason? No?

Then what the F**k are we bothering with it for?

If she is a bird colonel (or the civilian equivalent) I'll join in the misogynistic chorus of "Who did she **** to get her job?" But if she's only GS-13 we just laugh. Is it important to research her exact pay-grade to see exactly how much angst we should feel? I don't think so.

While the rest of us are watching new revelations from the J6 committee, someone has the time to browse Raisin.Com (!!) and find THIS story? Pathetic!

Debate C: America's new political reality has been called "The Post-Truth Era." Is it OK to lie?

. . . In Oregon, the Oregon Health Authority delayed a meeting already scheduled between multiple parties because not delaying it plays into the hands of white supremacy:

"Thank you for your interest in attending the community conversation between Regional Health Equity Coalitions (RHECs) and Community Advisory Councils (CACs) to discuss the Community Investment Collaboratives (CICs). [In being responsive to partners from across the state, we're hearing the timing of this meeting is not ideal and that people would like more time to prepare for this important conversation]. wrote Droppers. "We recognize that urgency is a white supremacy value that can get in the way of more intentional and thoughtful work, and we want to attend to this dynamic. Therefore, we will reach out at a later date to reschedule."

It will come as no surprise to those familiar with lying by FoxNews, Trumpists, and others pimping for the GOP-Kremlin axis, that a key sentence was omitted from the above quote. I've taken the liberty of adding it, red and in brackets, to the above quote.

If anybody thinks that the quote from "Reason" was NOT a lie — they didn't CHANGE words, they just omitted the key sentence — please raise your hand.

"In being responsive to partners from across the state, we're hearing the timing of this meeting is not ideal and that people would like more time to prepare for this important conversation."

I would not have bothered with the click (to "Reason" har-de-har-har!) , but I was pretty sure there was an omission or other lie. What do I win?
Except even with that sentence added in context, it doesn't make the "supremecy" statement any less nonsensical and ridiculous. I mean how in the heck is "urgency" a white supremecy thing to begin with? I'd also say a letter isn't exactly the basis for presuming the beliefs across a movement either.

I think statements like that are the result of liberal arts graduates trying to think too hard.

So the fact that Raisin.Com "lied" doesn't bother you? You can only focus on the politically incorrect "white supremacy value"? (And is it amusing that those who consider this "incorrect" argue against "political correctness" when non-white races are at issue?)

I think the way Reason lied is a bigger issue than Whatshername's stupidity.
@ Jimmy Higgins — Do you agree that the omission here constitutes the moral equivalent of a lie?

If not, where do you draw the line? Can colors be altered to affect apparent skin color? Was it OK to slur Ms. Pelosi's words?

I think such lying is a far bigger problem in the U.S.A. than this "white values" silliness. Do you agree?

Debate D. Whether important or not, is it true that America places a value on "Urgency"?
In some respects, white supremacy functions smoothly because of the value-messaging around urgency: It's urgent to do this thing you are being prompted unto, don't think too much about it because it's urgent.

This ridiculous commitment to thoughtless "urgent" response very much is a "white people" thing and it's not really a coincidence.

Really we should be resisting such calls to urgency, giving thought, and then going ahead on that basis or at least affording thought at the first possible opportunity. If none presents itself, it is better to risk death and failure and make an opportunity than continue forever without the proper application of doubt.

This goes against the dictates of white culture, however. We would be much better off looking at such a "virtue" with dubiousness.
As I've said, I have some experience, and there is some truth in stereotypes, including this one.

Consider the 2000 Presidential election. In most countries, a new chief of government takes office just days after his election. In USA the delay is 70+ days. Yet Americans expect to be told the winner on the night of the election. In 2000, the result was still inconclusive in early December and, although there were still six weeks until Inauguration it turned into a "Selden's Crisis"! The Supreme Court over-rode all other authorities because the country couldn't tolerate the suspense!

I've been to engineering meetings in Silicon Valley. Often technical issues are ignored; the meeting is all about brow-beating deadlines!

So yes, America does place a premium on "urgency."

Oi! This is reading way too deeply into something. Also, I'd question the use of urgency verses immediacy! Urgency implies a matter of importance that needs immediate attention. Immediacy merely means something getting attention quickly.

You're bringing a dictionary to a political-babble fight? :cool:

Conservative parents see providing their children with the cognitive tools to see through their indoctrination, as theft of their property. Their children's minds are the sole property of their parents, because their children are their sole property.

It's a mindset that is rarely acknowledged, and even more rarely challenged, as to do so is political suicide; People need to understand that they do not own their children. They are not property, they are not a possession to be fought over, they are individuals with rights of their own, whether the idiots who believe you can own another human being understand it or not.

And one of those rights is the right to the information and the reasoning skills necessary to make informed decisions about what to think and what to believe.

I DO agree with your morality. BUT you ARE arguing morality, and morality varies from culture to culture or society to society. It is controversial what the "proper" morality is; it is not an ABSOLUTE.

But I'm posting because you reminded me of one of my favorite quotations:
Kahlil Gibran said:
And a woman who held a babe against her bosom said, Speak to us of Children.

And he said:

Your children are not your children. They are the sons and daughters of Life's longing for itself.

They come through you but not from you, And though they are with you yet they belong not to you.

You may give them your love but not your thoughts, For they have their own thoughts.

You may house their bodies but not their souls, For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow, which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams.

You may strive to be like them, but seek not to make them like you. For life goes not backward nor tarries with yesterday.

You are the bows from which your children as living arrows are sent forth. The archer sees the mark upon the path of the infinite, and He bends you with His might that His arrows may go swift and far.

Let your bending in the Archer's hand be for gladness; For even as he loves the arrow that flies, so He loves also the bow that is stable.

I'd add that strong/healthy masculinity does not need to prove how brave/strong they are. Toxic masculinity is often worried about being seen as weak or afraid, and will do stupid/abusive stuff to prove they are not.

I'd add that strong/healthy masculinity does not need to prove how brave/strong they are. Toxic masculinity is often worried about being seen as weak or afraid, and will do stupid/abusive stuff to prove they are not.
Which brings us back to the right wing. The most prominent figure is of course the self-appointed "tough guy" who used to occupy the White House and had a long string of abuses under his belt including sexual assault and sexual harassment. One of his biggest fans (and a sitting Florida congressman) is currently making news for opining that women who are seeking reproductive freedom are simply too ugly to have been impregnated. This is the same man who is credibly accused of trafficking underage girls across state lines for sex. This (and Ben Shapiro for some reason) is what counts as "masculinity" on the right.

Oh, and Ted Cruz. Can we talk about this paragon of virility for a moment? A guy who licked Trump's shoes after he insulted Cruz's wife and then blamed his daughters for his exodus to Cancun during last year's crisis in Texas (well...one of them). Gosh...what a brave/strong man he is!

But really, the fish rots from the head down.

I've brought this up on other forums, but it still amazes me that during the Clinton years the right wing lost their ever-loving minds that Bill cheated on his wife - which he absolutely did - rebranded themselves as the "party of family values," and then by the time the jilted (?) Hillary ran for President they'd elevated a man to the office who'd cheated on his first wife with his second, his second wife with his third, and his third with a porn star to whom he paid hush money. There is nothing about Trump that demonstrates strong/healthy masculinity. Nothing.

Debate C: America's new political reality has been called "The Post-Truth Era." Is it OK to lie?

Except even with that sentence added in context, it doesn't make the "supremecy" statement any less nonsensical and ridiculous. I mean how in the heck is "urgency" a white supremecy thing to begin with? I'd also say a letter isn't exactly the basis for presuming the beliefs across a movement either.

I think statements like that are the result of liberal arts graduates trying to think too hard.

So the fact that Raisin.Com "lied" doesn't bother you?
Yeah, I'll stop you right there, and link this.

Everything else was stuffing words into my mouth.

WASPs have a culture?
Yes.

First, my exposure to American WASP culture is from the popular portrayal of it in movies and television shows.
WOW! You open up with that?
My first exposure to the word was from the 1988 film Beaches, where Bette Midler's character calls Barbara Hershey's character a 'WASP queen'. I was very young at the time and didn't realise that Bette and Barbara not only had different personalities, they came from different worlds. So I can regale you with what I have taken away about WASP culture from American entertainment, but I don't think that would be of use to either of us.

Second, you are literally doing the exact thing I warned against.
You brought it up. It is as if you want to use the term culture to speak down on some, but when called on it, you fall back to this disingenuous position.
That WASP culture might be predominant in America, that it might be regarded as some kind of 'default', doesn't mean it's not a culture.
You can't even tell me what it is... yet you want me to believe it is real. This must be an Aussie Cultural thing.

Back
Top Bottom