• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

The Shooting of Daniel Shaver

Not much media coverage on this because it does not fit the racist media narrative of "police killing blacks".

http://www.abc15.com/news/region-so...es-moments-before-he-fatally-shot-unarmed-man
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...ns-release-body-cam-footage-article-1.2587032
http://www.nbcnews.com/video/court-...-video-in-daniel-shaver-shooting-692330051668
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/video/ne...a-police-standoff-shooting-Daniel-Shaver.html
https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...b708f2-3d42-11e6-84e8-1580c7db5275_story.html
https://photographyisnotacrime.com/...rface-body-cam-video-expected-released-today/

ORpxVoI.jpg

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...a-cried-begged-life-article-1.2582759?cid=msn
An unarmed man who was shot and killed by an Arizona police officer in January cried, complied with police orders and begged for his life before the fatal firing, according to a newly released police report.

Mesa Police Officer Philip Brailsford has been charged with second-degree murder for the death of Daniel Shaver, a 26-year-old Texas man. Authorities have declined to release Brailsford’s body cam footage from the deadly encounter.

So when's the next "All Lives Matter" rally to protest this shooting? I thought white people were just as pissed off about police murdering people as black people were?

Well, according to the article, the police officer was fired and charged with second-degree murder. Sounds like the wheels of justice, slow as they are, are in motion with this one.

Video Shows Daniel Shaver Pleading for His Life Before Being Shot by Officer

Newly released body camera footage shows a police officer shooting an unarmed man in an Arizona hotel after the man sobbed and pleaded with officers not to shoot him.

The graphic video, which was released after a jury on Thursday acquitted the officer of murder and manslaughter charges, stoked outrage on social media and renewed calls for reforms in law enforcement.
(bolding mine)

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/09/us/police-shooting-video-arizona.html

Black Lives Matter Supporters Call Attention to Graphic Video of Arizona Shooting

Black Lives Matter activists were among those who used social media on Friday and Saturday to call attention to the case of Daniel Shaver, a 26-year-old man who was shot to death by a police officer in Mesa, Arizona in January 2016.

Prominent Black Lives Matter supporters including Shaun King and DeRay McKesson, as well as others who have drawn attention to police killings of black Americans, posted on Twitter about the case.

https://www.commondreams.org/news/2...call-attention-graphic-video-arizona-shooting

Newly released body camera footage shows a police officer shooting an unarmed man in an Arizona hotel after the man sobbed and pleaded with officers not to shoot him.

The graphic video, which was released after a jury on Thursday acquitted the officer of murder and manslaughter charges, stoked outrage on social media and renewed calls for reforms in law enforcement.
(bolding mine)

I note you didn't quote the part of the article that says he moved his arm like he was trying to draw a weapon.

Now, it's probable that he was trying to corral his pants, but when you're in a situation like that you don't make any sudden moves the officers didn't tell you to.

I also note you called him "unarmed"--omitting the fact that he had a pellet gun. Yes, not lethal to a human (he did use it for lethal purpose, though) but civilians generally aren't going to be able to tell the difference.

(bolding mine)

I note you didn't quote the part of the article that says he moved his arm like he was trying to draw a weapon.

Now, it's probable that he was trying to corral his pants, but when you're in a situation like that you don't make any sudden moves the officers didn't tell you to.

I also note you called him "unarmed"--omitting the fact that he had a pellet gun. Yes, not lethal to a human (he did use it for lethal purpose, though) but civilians generally aren't going to be able to tell the difference.

I note that our resident authoritarian sides with the killer cop no matter how fucking absurd the claims are.

Daniel Shaver was doing everything he could to comply with a steady stream of conflicting orders being barked at him... orders that KEPT coming long after police had the situation well under control... orders that (in the opinion of one law enforcement official) were (1) procedurally WRONG, and (2) appear to be designed to force the victim to make a *wrong* move.

Daniel Shaver did NOT have any weapon on him - not even a pellet gun - when he was murdered. He was, in fact, unarmed.

Cops are not civilians

I am not surprised by your response, but I am... as always... sickened by it.

I would bet that the cop would be very likely to be a domestic and animal abuser.

It was like a deadly game of Simon says.

but civilians generally aren't going to be able to tell the difference.

....Are you serious?

Officer Philip Brailsford isn't a civilian. He's a cop. Further, He looks more like a tatt'd up thug than a cop.

10xp-Shooting-3-sub-master180-v2.jpg

Dunno about you LP but he looks like an upstanding guy I'd trust to be alone with my family!

I admit, I would have been confused too. I wouldn't have known how to crawl toward him with my hands on my head. I hear the word "crawl" and I think, "Walk on my hands and knees." But I guess I'm one of those people that makes cops loaded with military-grade weaponry "feel scared."

I also don't understand the "come towards me so that I can put handcuffs on you" part. When you've got someone lying face down with their hands behind their head, isn't that when you approach them to subdue them?

This whole situation seems ridiculous. That you folks introduced a racial element immediately on the first pages of this thread and made it about black people seems doubly ridiculous.

That BLM people came forward to support the victim here is refreshing and unexpected. So props to them for that.

This whole situation seems ridiculous. That you folks introduced a racial element immediately on the first pages of this thread and made it about black people seems doubly ridiculous.

That BLM people came forward to support the victim here is refreshing and unexpected. So props to them for that.
why was it unexpected?

Interesting that you point to "you folks" rather than to specifically Derec who was first to post about race.

but civilians generally aren't going to be able to tell the difference.

....Are you serious?

Officer Philip Brailsford isn't a civilian. He's a cop. Further, He looks more like a tatt'd up thug than a cop.

View attachment 13613

Dunno about you LP but he looks like an upstanding guy I'd trust to be alone with my family!

It was a civilian that reported that he had a weapon.

- - - Updated - - -

I admit, I would have been confused too. I wouldn't have known how to crawl toward him with my hands on my head. I hear the word "crawl" and I think, "Walk on my hands and knees." But I guess I'm one of those people that makes cops loaded with military-grade weaponry "feel scared."

Of course he crawled on his hands and knees. That's not what got him shot. It was reaching for his pants that got him shot.

I would bet that the cop would be very likely to be a domestic and animal abuser.

It was like a deadly game of Simon says.
Right? I expected the fucking cop to say "you didn't say mother may I" after the barrage of bullets.

It was a civilian that reported that he had a weapon.

- - - Updated - - -

Of course he crawled on his hands and knees. That's not what got him shot. It was reaching for his pants that got him shot.

And the cops cant tell the difference now?

I saw it differently. At 2:20 of the video that RavenSky linked, the woman "crawled" on her knees with her hands in the air. Shaver was face down to the carpet so he didn't see it.

At 4:15, Brailsford orders Shaver to crawl towards him. Shaver puts his hands down and starts crawling on hands and knees, unlike what the woman did. Brailsford screams "Crawl towards me!!" which Shaver presumably thought he was doing.

Therein lies the confusion. Shaver does what he thinks he's been ordered to do and gets yelled at for it, having just been told that if he doesn't do everything exactly right he'll be shot to death. That's a recipe for disaster.

Meanwhile, Brailsford is thinking that Shaver is not following orders, so he must be Up To Something. From then on, the slightest deviation is interpreted as a deadly threat, and Brailsford conducted a preemptive strike. I don't know what Shaver was doing reaching behind him, but Brailsford and his defenders have assumed that Shaver was reaching for a gun. Which we now know he wasn't.

Again, I would have been confused in that situation. If crawling on his hands and knees didn't get him shot, then why did he get yelled at the final time for crawling on his hands and knees?

James A. Gagliano is a CNN law enforcement analyst and a retired FBI supervisory special agent. He also serves as an adjunct assistant professor at St. John's University in Queens, New York

... a confluence of interrelated errors by the tactical team transpired to cause this tragedy, and it was entirely preventable.

I forced myself to rewatch the stomach-turning video many times over from the perspective of someone who has participated in hundreds upon hundreds of tactical resolution incidents.

the officer's unprofessional conduct, seeming inexperience, and the confusing commands we hear being issued by a SWAT officer, directly and indirectly influenced Shaver's reactions, which resulted in the shooting. Here's how:

The vocal police officer tasked with directing the operation appeared hell-bent on baiting a confused but receptive and compliant subject into making a deadly mistake... Listening to him issue commands was revolting -- he comes off as a drunk-with-power bully who enjoys toying with his prey.

(note: the police officer barking orders was not the same one that killed him)

My belief is that as confused (and inebriated) as Shaver was, the steady volley of confusing shouted commands frustrated him and he assumed a pose he felt was consistent with an arrest, i.e., placing his hands behind his back. His confused state and reflexive reaction to place hands behind his back could then be "interpreted" as "going for a weapon."

Two more gestures to his backside appear to be his attempts to pull his pants up while complying with a flurry of confusing commands. While we have the benefit of 20/20 hindsight, my assessment is that this officer was not equipped with the necessary behavioral assessment experience.

What appears obvious from the video is the senior onscene officer's inability to discern that subject was struggling to find his balance while complying with the confusing commands. To those speculating as to why he would have been asked to cross his ankles, this is standard arrest protocol in a high-risk scenario. If a subject is lying prone or kneeling with their ankles crossed, the un-crossing of ankles requires an additional movement prior to any effort to escape or physically confront arresting officers. This provides officers more reaction time.

But asking a subject to crawl forward with crossed ankles is not a standard safe arrest practice or protocol. The most forward operator does not typically deliver commands, as his specific role is to focus on the door down the hallway from which the subjects had just exited. Shaver could have been asked to lie prone and await cuffing from advancing officers, while this "hallway monitor" remains trained on the door ahead. Then, the advance man (Brailsford) could hurriedly move forward past a prone Shaver (with interlaced fingers behind his head) and then a "cuffing team" could immediately move forward in trace, and effect the handcuffing of the subject.

Alternatively, Shaver could have been put on his knees, with fingers interlaced and hands placed atop his head. Brailsford could have had him rotate in a circle and then remain facing away from responding officers, so police could view his beltline and any potential secreted weapons. Shaver could have then been instructed to lift his shirt while facing away. This gives police valuable time to assess the threat and respond with deadly force appropriately if Shaver were to pull a weapon, spin around and attempt to locate a target.

Officers should have gathered more intelligence. Allow for potential cooperation from the two subjects in your custody to provide you better context and intelligence. Ask questions about weaponry in the room and, if subject admits as much, query the purpose for having them. Maybe Shaver could have explained his professional need for pellet guns and advised where they were located. At a minimum, it would have applied context. You never trust without verification, but Shaver's explanation could have been combined with information investigators might have gathered from employees at the front desk while SWAT was handling the threat upstairs.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/12/11/opinions/daniel-shaver-shooting-opinion-gagliano/index.html

I think I was the only one to mention the Shaver case before in June of this year.

this is what I posted with a couple edits:

Is the compromise that there is a charge of "murder/manslaughter while cop" which means never being a cop, security guard ever again?

I don't care if there is an automatic one or two degree subtraction of the charges as long as there are actual convictions that stick. Sentencing for the convictions should be the same as for non cops.

On the other extreme, why be a cop if you are on the hook too much? They already are dealing with violent people, and now they would have a lot of risk to go to jail if the system treated them like everyone else. Statistically they are at more risk of killing people by the line of work.

On the other hand, why trust a cop or decide to not be violent against cops if they almost NEVER get convicted of murder and manslaughter for pretty clear cases?

Some compromise has to happen.

The cop like in the Daniel Shaver case (look it up), if I were family of Shaver I would seriously consider hunting down and killing that scumbag cop (and the scumbag partner who was yelling the "Simon Says" instructions). Same for Castile.

------------------------------------
Starting at 9:31 of this video, there is a well reasoned synopsis of what went down and a suggestion to focus on the cop barking the orders.

We already know about Brailsford's previous poor policing, too put it mildly. What about the order barking asshole?

Back
Top Bottom