• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

The shooting of Keith Lamont Scott, and aftermath

Keeping in mind that the original police were not in uniform and in an unmarked car, and admit to watching him closely enough to claim he was rolling a joint... Maybe (speculation here), he saw them watching him and - not knowing they were cops - showed his gun (if he really had one) as a warning not to start shit with him. To be clear, this is purely wild speculation in an attempt to make sense of the conflicting reports; and still not a justification for police shooting at and killing him (or even approaching him for any reason)

That makes sense--but your response does not.

Flashing a weapon because someone is looking at you is not acceptable, the police reacting to it would be appropriate.

I'm tempted to cross post this in the "open carry for white people" thread, seeing how North Carolina IS an open-carry state.

20e0167c097a27d1bb3cff5baae70a00.jpg

She's got two.

Except when white people wear them, they're called "socks."

Mighty strange sock.

It's black on the front but blue on the back except for two bands of black.

That looks far more like a black object strapped to his ankle than a sock. While the object itself can't be identified in that frame I can't think of anything else that would look like that.

Do a lot of socks have straps and only go 1/4 around the leg?

Depends on the sock

17orthotic.jpg

I could be wrong about this, but it's documented that Keith Lamont suffered from a disability, the nature of which has not been described. It is NOT documented that he had a concealed carry license or had ever purchased a firearm (and his wife seemed to think he didn't have one).

The one in the picture only covers part of the leg, not like that. I saw a report that they found the person who admitted giving Scott the gun.

Ignorning the more likely possibility that perhaps he had an ankle holster and the gun was in it and therefore not in his hands, and therefore, again, "how do I drop a gun that is not in my hand?" You might try to bend down to get the gun - and get shot dead for that.

Except the gun was not in the holster and a few feet away. Also the video doesn't have him reaching down that far, just backing up.

C'mon, the gun found a few feet away was the one the police brought, not the one he had in his holster. The police obviously ditched the gun he had in his holster. Which couldn't have held a gun. Since it was a sock. That he strapped to his leg.

I saw a report that they found the person who admitted giving Scott the gun.

I had a suspicion that you were getting 100% of your information on this case from "bearingarms.com" Now I know for sure.

I just searched for "keith lamont scott ankle holster" images and those popped up.

Are you saying those are not legit images?

Or just fritzing about irrationally?

Edit to add:

Here's an ABC news site with the same images it that helps.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/presence-gun-disarm-keith-lamont-scott-legal-experts/story?id=42362012

Keeping in mind that the original police were not in uniform and in an unmarked car, and admit to watching him closely enough to claim he was rolling a joint... Maybe (speculation here), he saw them watching him and - not knowing they were cops - showed his gun (if he really had one) as a warning not to start shit with him. To be clear, this is purely wild speculation in an attempt to make sense of the conflicting reports; and still not a justification for police shooting at and killing him (or even approaching him for any reason)

Flashing a weapon because someone is looking at you is not acceptable, the police reacting to it would be appropriate.

As I said, it was wild speculation on my part to reconcile the conflicting accounts of the police and the witnesses. I don't actually believe it went down that way. But even if it did - no, the overall police response was not appropriate. I can see the two police officers putting on identifying vests and then going up to the car (calmly) to verify what was going on.

Where they escalated and consequently caused the death of another black man was in coming up from behind, banging on the windows without warning, having multiple police officers pointing their guns at him, multiple officers shouting at him, officers ignoring the wife trying to tell them he had a brain injury, and especially shooting him to death without justifiable cause.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm tempted to cross post this in the "open carry for white people" thread, seeing how North Carolina IS an open-carry state.

Exactly what I was thinking when I was responding to that same post. This is, in my opinion, another example of double-standards for a black man with a gun.

I had a suspicion that you were getting 100% of your information on this case from "bearingarms.com" Now I know for sure.

I only saw that one today when searching. So I am waiting to confirm if that one is true.

But it was a news source

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/special-reports/charlotte-shooting-protests/article104389076.html

Evidently the same unnamed sources that assert the REAL reason they initiated a confrontation was because they saw him "rolling a blunt" :thinking:

At this point I'm just counting the days before somebody releases an angry "fuck the police" facebook rant where Scott promises to shoot four police officers before lunchtime. I'm sure they'll also find PCP and BLM pamphlets in his car.

I only saw that one today when searching. So I am waiting to confirm if that one is true.

But it was a news source

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/special-reports/charlotte-shooting-protests/article104389076.html

Evidently the same unnamed sources that assert the REAL reason they initiated a confrontation was because they saw him "rolling a blunt" :thinking:

At this point I'm just counting the days before somebody releases an angry "fuck the police" facebook rant where Scott promises to shoot four police officers before lunchtime. I'm sure they'll also find PCP and BLM pamphlets in his car.

Huh? They've released what they have found/not found at the crime scene. The other belief is that four cops just decided to shoot a random black guy.

Huh? They've released what they have found/not found at the crime scene.
Plus his criminal records, plus his driving record, plus his court documents, plus an unsourced claim that some unnamed person stole a gun and sold it to him, plus an unsourced claim he was rolling a joint in the parking lot when the police noticed him the first time. It's interesting that they didn't find any marijuana at the scene... but, who knows, they still might.

The other belief is that four cops just decided to shoot a random black guy.

The other is that two cops saw a guy in a car they didn't recognize, didn't like the look of him, thought he was probably armed, and decided to "eliminate the threat."

Huh? They've released what they have found/not found at the crime scene. The other belief is that four cops just decided to shoot a random black guy.

Well, it couldn't have been random since they came prepared with all that stuff. The fake gun, the fake DNA on the gun, the fake holster that matches his external strap on sock, etc.

Well, it couldn't have been random since they came prepared with all that stuff. The fake gun, the fake DNA on the gun, the fake holster that matches his external strap on sock, etc.

Well, that's good. Just the other day, Hillary Clinton was complaining that the police need more training in how to deal with situations like this. It's nice to see that there are already groups of cops who come prepared and know what to do.

and within one minute of the shooting, the guy in the red uniform was able to calmly slip a stolen gun from his pants onto the street to make sure the guy they just shot had a gun. And they also knew that the guy exiting the vehicle would not do it properly.

and within one minute of the shooting, the guy in the red uniform was able to calmly slip a stolen gun from his pants onto the street to make sure the guy they just shot had a gun. And they also knew that the guy exiting the vehicle would not do it properly.

Is there a video showing where this gun was at the time of the shooting? I didn't see anything in Scott's hands when he exited the car and was backing away. The police didn't act like he was armed when they rushed forward as soon as he fell. You can hear one of them say Scott's hands are under his body, but they don't appear to be trying to secure a weapon he might be holding.

I'd like to see the part of the video where the police find and secure the gun. If they pulled it from an ankle holster or from the car then the shooting was unjustified. Scott presented no discernible threat; merely having a gun in his possession doesn't justify his being shot.

If OTOH he was holding the gun as he exited the car and refused to drop it, well that's different. It wouldn't necessarily make shooting him a justifiable homicide, but it could be one.

Is there a video showing where this gun was at the time of the shooting? I didn't see anything in Scott's hands when he exited the car and was backing away. The police didn't act like he was armed when they rushed forward as soon as he fell. You can hear one of them say Scott's hands are under his body, but they don't appear to be trying to secure a weapon he might be holding.

I'd like to see the part of the video where the police find and secure the gun. If they pulled it from an ankle holster or from the car then the shooting was unjustified. Scott presented no discernible threat; merely having a gun in his possession doesn't justify his being shot.

If OTOH he was holding the gun as he exited the car and refused to drop it, well that's different. It wouldn't necessarily make shooting him a justifiable homicide, but it could be one.

Maybe the 10 times they said "drop the gun" in the video could shed some light on where it was.

Though obviously that could also be because they had very thoroughly thought through their plan to shoot a random guy.

Maybe the 10 times they said "drop the gun" in the video could shed some light on where it was.

It shed some light on where I should expect to find one. But since Scott appeared to be empty handed as he exited the car and the cops appeared unconcerned he might be holding a gun as they bent over his prone body, the possibility that the gun was in his hand appears extremely remote.

That's why I would like to see the part of the video where the cops secured the gun. I would like to know exactly where it was when Scott was shot.

Though obviously that could also be because they had very thoroughly thought through their plan to shoot a random guy.

Or that they were mistaken about Scott having a gun.

Or that they jumped to conclusions when they saw that he had one and decided to err on the side of caution, thereby killing a man needlessly.

Or that the cops inadvertently stressed each other out by repeatedly shouting "Drop the gun!" to a man who'd already put his gun back into an ankle holster while they were suiting up and didn't have an obvious way to comply except by taking it out again and then making a big show of putting it down (an extremely risky operation).

Or some other FUBAR human interaction in which knowledge is imperfect, emotions are running high, and guns are present.

Police: we don't want to release the whole dashcam video because it would make Scott look bad and we care about his family, but here are these specific still images from the police video and that when taken by themselves in the absence of greater context of the video tend to make you suspicious that Scott is a bad dude. Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom