• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

The Tea Thread

A few years ago, a botanical garden in Wisconsin had a program encouraging people to start their own herbal gardens. A chart printout listed several herbs and what they have been used for medicinally. A friend attended and sent me a copy of the printout.
It listed Thyme as having antiseptic qualities and being good for bronchitis. I have COPD and, on days when my breathing is more difficult, I've been brewing thyme as a tea. It does seem to be fairly effective as a
bronchial dilator. I told my Pulmonologist about it, and while he seemed somewhat skeptical, he has not discouraged me from using it.
Sometimes I brew it individually and add a spoon of honey, and other times I also brew tea with it. Seems to work well for me.

Didn't have time to make my morning coffee this morning and have been trying to catch up with green and black tea.

I imagine this is what it's like for a smoker trying to quell their cravings with Nicotine gum.

Use more tea (bags) and let it steep longer....strong enough and you'll get jangles. The thing is, most are to impatient and just want to lace it with shiploads of sugar, any way.

There's a tea house in Alaska that makes a wonderful high caffeine black and white tea blend called 1000 Mile Tea. You can purchase it online. I highly recommend it, both for the energy boost and the flavor.

Took a picture of my (home) tea cupboard last night. I realized I wasn't really drinking any of the herbals or low caffeine teas at work, so took them all home and re-organized the cupboard. This set here is about 75% herbal, with a smattering of black, green, white and oolongs. Also a touch of a specialty tea called Nuts and More we bought for our wedding favours.

IMG_20180830_192431_680.jpg

Having a to go tea from my local with lavender and chamomile. It's amazing how much of a difference the flowers being fresh makes.

Looks like I'm going to need to turf some of my old packets and start buying smaller quantities more regularly.

Did this today. Twenty-five grams of fresh lavender, chamomile, and peppermint for 8.50 CDN. I'm going to start treating these three teas like I do my coffee, by buying small amounts more regularly. I could feel the stock I already had starting to get a little dry and old, now just need to bring myself to throw it out.

I have quite a collection of herbal teas, all stored in a cool dark location, and my goal is to deplete them before adding more to the back stock. The challenge is that my interest in teas tends to be cyclical and the tea of choice of my regular companion is black tea, which I recently ran out of. My companion offered to resupply from his own collection so I took him up on the offer.

Amway tea arrived, a surprise to me as I did not know that the company carried tea or that my friend had ever been a part of their distribution network. Turns out that the tea is at least 9 years old and steeps up just fine, lol. Waste not, want not as the old saying goes.

I have quite a collection of herbal teas, all stored in a cool dark location, and my goal is to deplete them before adding more to the back stock. The challenge is that my interest in teas tends to be cyclical and the tea of choice of my regular companion is black tea, which I recently ran out of. My companion offered to resupply from his own collection so I took him up on the offer.

Amway tea arrived, a surprise to me as I did not know that the company carried tea or that my friend had ever been a part of their distribution network. Turns out that the tea is at least 9 years old and steeps up just fine, lol. Waste not, want not as the old saying goes.

Words fail me. You have my deepest and most heartfelt sympathies in this time of trauma and torment, and my best wishes for a speedy resolution of this horrifying situation.

I had no idea that Amway were involved in disaster recovery to that extent, but I am glad to hear that they were able to help.

In my experience, black tea that is kept dry and cool will last far longer than the 'best before' date on the package indicates.

For anyone who wants a caffeine-free tea that isn't cloying like pretty much everything in the herbal tea section at the local supermarket, there is mugicha, Japanese tea made from roasted barley.

You just buy a package of roasted barley, and toss it in a pot of water and boil it. If you're a big damn round-eye sissy, you can strain out the pieces of roasted barley.

Koreans also make an interesting tea from roasted corn.

Both are very cheap.

I've been thinking of giving Chinese smoked black tea a try. Some years back, I went to a local ale fest, and someone had a light belgian beer (white ale? wheat something?) that had smoked black tea in it, and it blew me away. I still haven't tried the tea by itself, though. I need to fix that.

For anyone who wants a caffeine-free tea that isn't cloying like pretty much everything in the herbal tea section at the local supermarket, there is mugicha, Japanese tea made from roasted barley.

You just buy a package of roasted barley, and toss it in a pot of water and boil it. If you're a big damn round-eye sissy, you can strain out the pieces of roasted barley.

Both are very cheap.

I've been thinking of giving Chinese smoked black tea a try. Some years back, I went to a local ale fest, and someone had a light belgian beer (white ale? wheat something?) that had smoked black tea in it, and it blew me away. I still haven't tried the tea by itself, though. I need to fix that.

If you can find a local, loose-leaf seller the herbals they sell can also be pretty cheap. Stuff like Lavender and Chamomile has no weight to it so you can get a lot for very little money (cheaper sedatives than alcohol too).

Just be careful about the big name mall brands like David's and Teaopia. Find somewhere local and both the tea and price will be way better,

Both are very cheap.

If you can find a local, loose-leaf seller the herbals they sell can also be pretty cheap. Stuff like Lavender and Chamomile has no weight to it so you can get a lot for very little money (cheaper sedatives than alcohol too).

Just be careful about the big name mall brands like David's and Teaopia. Find somewhere local and both the tea and price will be way better,

I find lavender and chamomile cloying. Bleah.

If I want a "tea" that's not-tea, I will usually have mugicha, or if I've got a cold, homemade ginger tea will clear those sinuses right up.

Call me a curmudgeon, but I'm just not interested in boiled flowers. :p

Both are very cheap.

I find lavender and chamomile cloying. Bleah.

If I want a "tea" that's not-tea, I will usually have mugicha, or if I've got a cold, homemade ginger tea will clear those sinuses right up.

Call me a curmudgeon, but I'm just not interested in boiled flowers. :p

Lavender and Chamomile have no sweetness to them at all (well maybe a bit in Chamomile). Pure Lavender is bitter bordering on tasting pretty terrible, but it'll knock you out. Those were just two examples, though. If you haven't already done so highly recommend checking out a local, which will have tons of great herbals and herbal blends that aren't cloying.

I'd also mention that a lot of the 'boiled flowers' terrible taste is a given. Their purpose is more for stress relief. To each their own, but I've found them to be a pretty good alcohol replacement. Cheaper and healthier.

Both are very cheap.

Once you have gone to the trouble to roast barley and soak it in hot water, why not add yeast and make something worth drinking out of it?

Both are very cheap.

Once you have gone to the trouble to roast barley and soak it in hot water, why not add yeast and make something worth drinking out of it?

If I want booze, I'll buy booze. By the way, buying booze is generally more expensive than a bag of roasted barley.

Both are very cheap.

If I want booze, I'll buy booze. By the way, buying booze is generally more expensive than a bag of roasted barley.

Which is a good reason to buy barley and make it into booze.

I DO want booze - and today I bought about $100 of barley, hops and yeast, which will shortly become about forty litres of excellent booze. Which would cost me around $350 - $400 at a bottle shop, or between two and three times that at a pub.

Is it sacrilegious to use tap water for tea?

No.

Freshly drawn tap water is the only sane starting point for tea.

Chuck out the stuff that's already in the kettle. Draw fresh tap water. Boil it, and pour over the tea leaves while it's still at the boil in the kettle.

Always take the pot to the kettle; Never take the kettle to the pot.

Which is a good reason to buy barley and make it into booze.

I DO want booze - and today I bought about $100 of barley, hops and yeast, which will shortly become about forty litres of excellent booze. Which would cost me around $350 - $400 at a bottle shop, or between two and three times that at a pub.

You can start a brewers thread. I thought this was the tea thread.

BTW, tea tastes good in beer. I once tried a light lager or ale (Belgian white? Some kind of wheat ale?) that had Chinese smoked black tea in it, and it blew what was left of my mind.

Both are very cheap.

Lapsang souchang tea. My favorite. So obviously hard to find withing 20 miles of me. Thankfully there are a number of good online tea suppliers.

Both are very cheap.

Lapsang souchang tea. My favorite. So obviously hard to find withing 20 miles of me. Thankfully there are a number of good online tea suppliers.

It's a weird one for me. I like it and drink it but very rarely. Makes a good late afternoon tea.

Back
Top Bottom