• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

The Tea Thread

rousseau

Contributor
In reference to this post here's a thread about tea.

Who's a tea drinker? What teas do you drink?

I switched from coffee to mostly black tea back in December, myself. There's a local tea shop at the central market here that does a lot of 'natural' teas, many blacks, greens, rooibos, herbals, fruit.. etc. I've been experimenting with different blacks over the last few months. Also have a horde of other teas kicking around at home and at work, including lavender, chamomile, oolong, jasmine, and on and on. Usually caffeinated before 4, decaffeinated after 4.

So whaddaya like?

I live in the south, where iced tea rules. I am a self confessed iced tea addict. I prefer black tea, unsweetened with lemon. I drink way too much of it. I also like hot Jasmine tea when I have Thai food. I've experimented with many varieties of tea, including fruited teas, both hot or iced. But, in the end, I remain a fan of traditional black tea. Tetley is currently my favorite brand. I am hopelessly addicted to it, but I do make it very weak so the caffeine content isn't too high.

I live in the south, where iced tea rules. I am a self confessed iced tea addict. I prefer black tea, unsweetened with lemon. I drink way too much of it. I also like hot Jasmine tea when I have Thai food. I've experimented with many varieties of tea, including fruited teas, both hot or iced. But, in the end, I remain a fan of traditional black tea. Tetley is currently my favorite brand. I am hopelessly addicted to it, but I do make it very weak so the caffeine content isn't too high.

When you say iced tea, what is it that you mean? I know the term differs from some areas of the states to Ontario. Here, iced tea usually means a drink like an uncarbonated pop, usually very sugary. I'd take it the Southern version of iced tea is a chilled, and mildly sweetened black?

My partner and I will often maked 'iced tea' likely what you're probably used to, but it's not in the classical sense of how people here use the term. In the summer we'll brew fruitier teas and chill them. Will have to do a black a few times this year.

I suspect what I drink is not really considered tea! But I really like Winn Dixie brand powdered lemon tea! Used to be labeled under the Astor brand.

I used to prefer coffee over tea like most American until I worked a job where most of my co-workers were Chinese. They got me hooked on the good stuff.

Hot or cold, I prefer my tea strong and unsweetened.

Unless it's cheap nasty tea. Then sometimes I like to sweeten it up as it helps cover up the flavor or add flavor in the first place. I prefer getting at least a few loose tea leaves in the bottom of the cup, because that is a sign someone isn't using cheap ass supermarket tea.

I generally don't care for green tea unless it's with a Japanese meal.

In reference to this post here's a thread about tea.

Who's a tea drinker? What teas do you drink?

Mushroom! J/K, haven't had that much since my college days.

I switched from coffee to mostly black tea back in December, myself. There's a local tea shop at the central market here that does a lot of 'natural' teas, many blacks, greens, rooibos, herbals, fruit.. etc. I've been experimenting with different blacks over the last few months. Also have a horde of other teas kicking around at home and at work, including lavender, chamomile, oolong, jasmine, and on and on. Usually caffeinated before 4, decaffeinated after 4.

So whaddaya like?

A few years ago I switched from coffee to tea in the mornings, because coffee was really starting to bother my stomach. Turned out it was the crap Ronoco coffee that the company I was working for kept around for free. Once I discovered that some very good coffee can be had fairly cheaply, I started to drink coffee again, but limit myself to a cup a day.

While I was drinking tea instead of coffee, I generally went for Oolong tea, or Bigelow's Raspberry Roayale Black Tea. If I have a cold, or sore throat in general, I will usually drink several cups of lemon herbal tea throughout the day.

I also enjoy the unsweet iced tea with lemon that southernhybrid mentions (it's my southern heritage) at lunch or dinner. Southern iced tea is a black tea, brewed, and then immediately poured over ice, melting the ice entirely. When served, it is poured over ice in the glass as well. This generally results in a pretty weak black tea, which is compensated for by drinking a lot of it. It can either be sweetened or unsweetened, but when it is sweetened, it is generally very sweet. There is a peculiar variety of iced tea called sun tea, where the tea isn't actually brewed, but set out in the sun for a few hours in a very large jar (several gallons). Sun tea is not iced until it is served, and is usually much stronger than your typical iced tea.

A friend came over today, and I delighted in sharing some of my tea varieties from T2.

I don't mind a cup of black tea from time to time. I enjoy English Breakfast and Earl Grey. They produce one here in Australia called 'Australian Afternoon' tea which is also quite nice. These teas I prefer brewed in a pot (though a tea bag will do at a pinch) and served with a little milk, no sugar.

With regards to other teas, I currently have several varieties in my cupboard from T2; including Twinkle Berry, Gone Surfing, Sleep Tight and Red, Green and Delicious. These one, I like brewed in a cup with the tea leaves in an infuser, and with a teaspoon dipped in honey and with most of the honey run off it (if that makes sense).

Ice cold southern normal cheap tea like they serve at restaurants in the south. Prefer sweet but drink unsweet at home.

As to hot tea, no thank you. As to all them fancy one's, no thank you. Sure, if I'm in an unusual setting where fitting in with the try something new crowd (yack), I'll play the role; otherwise, I'm far happier with what I'm used to.

A friend came over today, and I delighted in sharing some of my tea varieties from T2.

I don't mind a cup of black tea from time to time. I enjoy English Breakfast and Earl Grey. They produce one here in Australia called 'Australian Afternoon' tea which is also quite nice. These teas I prefer brewed in a pot (though a tea bag will do at a pinch) and served with a little milk, no sugar.

With regards to other teas, I currently have several varieties in my cupboard from T2; including Twinkle Berry, Gone Surfing, Sleep Tight and Red, Green and Delicious. These one, I like brewed in a cup with the tea leaves in an infuser, and with a teaspoon dipped in honey and with most of the honey run off it (if that makes sense).

For summer I like a tea called "Red Zinger". "Red Zinger Tea, from Celestial Seasonings, blends tart and tangy Chinese hibiscus with fruity Thai hibiscus, balanced by cool, refreshing peppermint and the unique, earthy sweetness of wild cherry bark". Served icy cold.

Trying out my "extra caffeine" black tea. It's good, but I was hoping for stronger flavor as well as extra caffeine. For as cheap as it is, it's great.

Keep Talking explained the southern version of ice tea very well, but traditionally southern style ice tea was very sweet. These days a lot of people drink it unsweetened or half/half when they eat out. Half and half has become so popular that if you ask for half and half ice tea in most any restaurant in Georgia, they know exactly what you mean. Half of the tea comes from the unsweetened pitcher and half from the sweetened one. My husband drinks it that way. I think it developed because people are trying to cut back on their sugar intake, but can't quite give up all of the sweet taste.

Very few restaurants in the north make ice tea correctly. When I go back to my home state of NJ, I am not usually satisfied with how they make ice tea up there. I sometimes bring my coffee maker which I use exclusively for making tea. My family marvels over how good my tea taste, which always amuses me since any idiot can make ice tea in a coffee maker. Simply put one or two tea bags where the coffee usually goes and let it brew. Best to drink it all in a couple of hours or it tastes awful. Just don't use the same maker for both coffee and tea or your tea will have a remnant of coffee taste.

I've made ice tea with Red Zinger. It's not bad. I'm pretty sure I've had Orange Zinger as well. I've also mixed it with peach or cherry tea. Hot tea is okay. I have all kinds of fancy tea cups for it, but I'm afraid I'm stuck on the cold stuff these days. My husband likes hot Ginseng tea, but it doesn't appeal to me.

So far I'm a fan of green tea, English breakfast tea, Earl Grey, and peppermint tea.

My favorite morning teas at the moment are Harrods Strong Breakfast (a luxury gift) and Tazo Breakfast or whatever it's called black tea (affordable, superior to other affordables available to me). The Bigelow $2-a-box, bagged, extra caffeine tea will do nicely to save money and still have a very nice tea drinking experience every morning.

Afternoon and evening, I prefer Tazo Wild Orange or Bigelow green tea with lemon to which I add a tbsp or two of lemon juice.

So far, after trying almost all of them, Bigelow makes only these two good-ish teas. The rest are nope nope nope. The fruity ones taste like stale kool-aid and the rest of the herbals are boring and bland. The greens or blacks or whites with flavor added are equally unappealing except for the lemon. i think I remember trying the mint and finding it suitable in a pinch with dried mint or something else added.

I haven't bought Teavana teas in a while, but I might look up the names of them for the thread later. They make some really wonderful teas, rolled and loose.

Oh, I also received two kinds of Chinese black rolled tea from a friend last year (xmas gift) and they were pretty good, nicely 'fermenty' or whatever the term is. I can't find these teas online because there's no English on the package or anything in the only alphabet I understand for me to type in. The empty tins are also handy and attractive stash boxes. :D

I've always been a tea drinker - hot and cold. Never drank coffee at all until a few years ago.

My current favorite hot tea is
Tazo's Wild Sweet Orange Herbal Infusion is a nice orange herbal tea. It contains lemongrass, blackberry leaves, citric acid, rose hips, spearmint leaves, natural flavors, orange peel, safflowers, hibiscus flowers, rose petals, natural orange essence, ginger root and licorice root.

I also love a Youthberry white tea and Wild Orange Blossom herbal tea blend (Teavana) and Stash English Breakfast tea

There is also a "White Ambrosia" tea they serve at Devon Seafood that I love, but I don't know the brand.

ETA: Found it, now I will have to order it :lol:

WHITE AMBROSIA

Rarest Pai Mu Tan white tea is a plucked in early spring from a special varietal tea bush called “chaicha”. Blended with fragrant Madagascar vanilla and the tropical tease of island coconut. Delicate, refreshing and divine.

- See more at: https://www.teaforte.com/store/gourmet-tea/white-tea/white-ambrosia/#sthash.oCNMc3GG.dpuf

I've always been a tea drinker - hot and cold. Never drank coffee at all until a few years ago.

My current favorite hot tea is

I also love a Youthberry white tea and Wild Orange Blossom herbal tea blend (Teavana) and Stash English Breakfast tea

!!! I used to blend youthberry with several of their other teas. I haven't been there in a few years so I didn't know they went ahead and sold a blend. They used to only custom blend orders on demand, but that was a long running blend that they brewed for samples every day. I don't know of the orange was the one I regularly blended with youthberry, but I ordered big bags of each several times and they did not sit unused for long in my house. :D

2d644e0e93f7f9a9a01b3eaca2b43f7b21cacd8a80d1bcf5d463345aa3e9b63f.jpg
There is also a "White Ambrosia" tea they serve at Devon Seafood that I love, but I don't know the brand.

ETA: Found it, now I will have to order it :lol:

WHITE AMBROSIA

Rarest Pai Mu Tan white tea is a plucked in early spring from a special varietal tea bush called “chaicha”. Blended with fragrant Madagascar vanilla and the tropical tease of island coconut. Delicate, refreshing and divine.

- See more at: https://www.teaforte.com/store/gourmet-tea/white-tea/white-ambrosia/#sthash.oCNMc3GG.dpuf
Sounds intriguing. Bookmarking. :thumsu:

Keep Talking explained the southern version of ice tea very well, but traditionally southern style ice tea was very sweet. These days a lot of people drink it unsweetened or half/half when they eat out. Half and half has become so popular that if you ask for half and half ice tea in most any restaurant in Georgia, they know exactly what you mean. Half of the tea comes from the unsweetened pitcher and half from the sweetened one. My husband drinks it that way. I think it developed because people are trying to cut back on their sugar intake, but can't quite give up all of the sweet taste.

Very few restaurants in the north make ice tea correctly. When I go back to my home state of NJ, I am not usually satisfied with how they make ice tea up there. I sometimes bring my coffee maker which I use exclusively for making tea. My family marvels over how good my tea taste, which always amuses me since any idiot can make ice tea in a coffee maker. Simply put one or two tea bags where the coffee usually goes and let it brew. Best to drink it all in a couple of hours or it tastes awful. Just don't use the same maker for both coffee and tea or your tea will have a remnant of coffee taste.

I've made ice tea with Red Zinger. It's not bad. I'm pretty sure I've had Orange Zinger as well. I've also mixed it with peach or cherry tea. Hot tea is okay. I have all kinds of fancy tea cups for it, but I'm afraid I'm stuck on the cold stuff these days. My husband likes hot Ginseng tea, but it doesn't appeal to me.

Reminds me of one of my first trips to the south (north eastern Mississippi). I was traveling alone on business and stopped at this little road side cafe in the middle of nowhere for lunch. I was an ice tea drinker (little or no sugar) back then. I knew about sweet tea, so I asked for ice tea, no sugar, and the waitress kind of gasped and looked at me like I had just farted. Anyway, I figured she got the message, but when I sipped the tea I nearly gagged. I couldn't believe how sweet it was. I couldn't finish it...it was just way too sweet. I also learned in the South that when you order a coke, you need to be prepared to be asked, "what kind of coke? Orange coke? Sprite coke? Dr Pepper coke?"

I still have some mint I dried and tried to stretch as long as possible. That's the last of it in the photo. Down to just a little. It was an especially good mint and still has a strong smell and taste after at least a year with no moisture problems due to these nifty tea canisters I got at Ikea a while back. Very good seal on those things.

WP_003168.jpg

I still have some mint I dried and tried to stretch as long as possible. That's the last of it in the photo. Down to just a little. It was an especially good mint and still has a strong smell and taste after at least a year with no moisture problems due to these nifty tea canisters I got at Ikea a while back. Very good seal on those things.

View attachment 6217

A friend of mine at school has a lemon myrtle tree. Each week, he brings in a branch, puts it in water and uses a couple of leaves in his tea most days.

The idea of doing the same with Mint etc when I am able to grow it, is a good one.

A friend of mine at school has a lemon myrtle tree. Each week, he brings in a branch, puts it in water and uses a couple of leaves in his tea most days.

The idea of doing the same with Mint etc when I am able to grow it, is a good one.
Yeah, and so easy!

We have good mint growing all over the ground here. One of my former neighbors and I used to go out each day to the mailbox to get mail and also to pinch some mint leaves off where it grew on the ground next to the boxes. It's good dried, too. I usually just buy a few pots of different kinds and grow them on the porch, dry them in the house.

Stepped up my tea game today and got one of these:

990025us01var0016237-bi-2.1319.jpg

For home and at work from David's.

Their tea is a bit much for me, but their mugs/infusers are fantastic.

Back
Top Bottom