• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

The Thread For New Republican Legislation

Those uppity black guys needed to go.
If some Republican legislators participated in a protest inside the chamber for a right-wing cause, using bullhorns, would you be defending them too?

And would you be defending them even if they were throwing white-power signs? Because the Justins were throwing black power signs.
FtFd_lOacAAZSaH

Omg a dangerous bullhorn. Lynch the thugs!

If some Republican legislators participated in a protest inside the chamber for a right-wing cause, using bullhorns, would you be defending them too?
Protesting a shooting in a school is a "left-wing cause". Jebus!

PENSCOLA, Fla. -- Critics are calling House Bill 1069 that passed this week the “Don’t Say Period” bill.

It would change when Florida students get the period talk at school. This could be effective as early as next school year.

The proposed legislation would limit discussion about menstruation to 6th through 12th graders.

The US Department of Health and Human Services says girls can start their period as young as 8-years-old.

Critics say removing the conversation from elementary schools could leave younger girls uniformed.

Not saying I’m agreeing with the legislation but perhaps some parents need to step up on some of these personal health issues.

And funny typo on that final word.

Not saying I’m agreeing with the legislation but perhaps some parents need to step up on some of these personal health issues.

And funny typo on that final word.
Not my fault. It was a C&P.
One of my pet peeves these days is how no so-called journalists and news writers proofread their own work anymore.

Would soneone fix the typos in the OP title - I believe it should read The Threat of New Republican Legislation.

And would you be defending them even if they were throwing white-power signs? Because the Justins were throwing black power signs.
FtFd_lOacAAZSaH
Thinking it is wrong to expel these legislators is not defending their actions.

Interestingly, of the 3 participating legislators, only the 2 black ones were expelled.

Tennessee House votes to expel 2 of 3 Democratic members after protest : NPR
Reps. Justin Jones, D-Nashville, and Justin Pearson, D-Memphis, were both removed from the body with votes falling along party lines, in a disciplinary measure that's only been used twice since the 1800s. The votes were 72 - 25 and 69 - 26 respectively. Together, they represent a combined constituency of about 130,000 people.

Rep. Gloria Johnson, D-Knoxville, who represents about 70,000 Tenneseans, escaped the same fate by a single vote, with a final count of 65 - 30.

Following the failed vote, Johnson was asked by reporters if she thought there was a reason she'd had a different outcome. "I'll answer your question," she said. "It might have to do with the color of our skin."
Also, she is middle aged, rather than young.

Protesting a shooting in a school is a "left-wing cause". Jebus!
Shows you what just kind of country they're trying to bring about, eh? Only a "communist" would propose a solution to school shootings that doesn't involve putting even more guns in classrooms and refusing to regulate them. And as they are incapable of self-reflection, good luck pointing it out to them...

In any case, Republicans don't protest with bullhorns, and everyone knows it. If they show up at all - a blessedly rare event - they're always armed, and not with bullhorns. It's picket signs for religious topics, and non-metaphorical shotguns for politics. In the words of the Toby Keith "You gotta saddle up your boys, you gotta draw a hard line/When the gun smoke settles we'll sing a victory tune/ And we'll all meet back at the local saloon."

Tennessee House votes to expel 2 of 3 Democratic members after protest : NPR
Reps. Justin Jones, D-Nashville, and Justin Pearson, D-Memphis, were both removed from the body with votes falling along party lines, in a disciplinary measure that's only been used twice since the 1800s. The votes were 72 - 25 and 69 - 26 respectively. Together, they represent a combined constituency of about 130,000 people.

Rep. Gloria Johnson, D-Knoxville, who represents about 70,000 Tenneseans, escaped the same fate by a single vote, with a final count of 65 - 30.

Following the failed vote, Johnson was asked by reporters if she thought there was a reason she'd had a different outcome. "I'll answer your question," she said. "It might have to do with the color of our skin."
Also, she is middle aged, rather than young.

Justin Jones was back in office so fast that the news of his removal hadn't ended its circulation before his return.

FtFd_lOacAAZSaH

Right on!
Untitled.png

Y'all probably know by now that Jones has been reinstated and Pearson is expected to be reinstated soon.

But, there's more....

https://wapo.st/3KvlhxJ

Senate Democrats are urging the Department of Justice to conduct an investigation into the expulsions of two Tennessee state representatives to determine whether their removal violated the Constitution or federal civil rights law.

In a letter to be delivered on Wednesday, Senate Majority Leader Charles E. Schumer (D-N.Y.) and Sen. Raphael G. Warnock (D-Ga.) call on Attorney General Merrick Garland to “use all available legal authorities” to conclude whether federal statutes were violated and “take all steps necessary to uphold the democratic integrity of our nation’s legislative bodies.”

The senators argue that the removals may have violated Jones’s and Pearson’s First Amendment rights to free speech and assembly, the rights of citizens of Memphis and Nashville to be represented by the legislators of their choice and rights the pair have under the 14th Amendment or civil rights statutes prohibiting discrimination on the basis of race.

I don't think any action was appropriate against these representatives, but if they honestly believed they had violated some dumbass rule, they could have simply censored them, instead of removing them from office. If the two young men had Rs after their name, they probably would have been praised by their fellow Rs, for expressing their right to free speech. What these Republicans did was outrageous and it looks as if this will backfire on them, regardless if their motivation was racist, partisan, or both. Their actions have made two young men look like heroes. It's given them a lot of attention and hopefully, made people wonder just how far the Republicans want to go to limit civil rights of those who have different opinions from themselves.

Or they could have censured them even, for inspiring this,
no justins no peace.jpg

Meanwhile, back in Arizona...
Now-former state Rep. Liz Harris (R) has been expelled from the Arizona House of Representatives after she presented a witness that accused fellow Republicans of baseless conspiracy theories.

Arizona's House of Representitives is controlled by the GOP.

Meanwhile, back in Arizona...
Now-former state Rep. Liz Harris (R) has been expelled from the Arizona House of Representatives after she presented a witness that accused fellow Republicans of baseless conspiracy theories.

Arizona's House of Representitives is controlled by the GOP.
She must of really pissed someone off.

Always the projection with these folks...

Kansas Conservative suggesting trans ban, suggests lowering the marriage age to 12.
We must protect children from trans groomers!!!!!

Oh, and kids are required to submit to genital exams if we think they are trans, and we can legally marry them at age 12, but they are still too immature to make decisions about their gender or to have an abortion if they are raped. (and of course if it was her husband then it wasn't rape)

Always the projection with these folks...

Kansas Conservative suggesting trans ban, suggests lowering the marriage age to 12.
Actually (sigh.....) he is a Missouri senator.

My son said this: "I'm gonna suggest we just build a wall around Missouri at this point to prevent whatever disease is infecting your politicians from spreading." Every day that passes I am more inclined to agree with him; it is becoming extremely embarrassing to tell people I live in this state.

Ruth

Back
Top Bottom