• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

The Trump Coup Part 2

SLD

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Freethinker
It‘s November 6th, Trump has lost - barely.

What does he do?

And this time, his minions obey him.

Can he succeed?

I suspect he will try to get Republican state legislators to reverse a state’s result. Maybe have a Republican controlled Congress and Senate try to invalidate several Biden won states.

Don’t think he’ll have a crowd storm the capitol again. That didn’t work too well the last time.

I suspect he will try to get Republican state legislators to reverse a state’s result.
Among other things, including ALL other things that might, in his addled mind, get him back into power. REGARDLESS of the human cost, or the survival of this Country.
The man is insane, sociopathic and dumb as a post. A perfect society would have him in a rubber room.
Since he's so into "free speech" (threatening judges, jurors, witnesses, tainting jury pools) this week, I'll exercise my "free speech" right now and say someone should eliminate him.

What does he do?
Same as last time: sit on a couch watching the television, hoping his Nazi stooges will take over the government on his behalf. If they win, he will move the national capital to Mar a Lago so he still doesn't have to get off the couch.

Reactions: SLD
Donald Trump's Bassinette said:
"NO WAY I CAN GET A FAIR TRIAL, OR EVEN CLOSE TO A FAIR TRIAL, IN WASHINGTON, D.C. THERE ARE MANY REASONS FOR THIS, BUT JUST ONE IS THAT I AM CALLING FOR A FEDERAL TAKEOVER OF THIS FILTHY AND CRIME RIDDEN EMBARRASSMENT TO OUR NATION, WHERE MURDERS HAVE JUST SHATTERED THE ALL TIME RECORD, OTHER VIOLENT CRIMES HAVE NEVER NEEN [sic] WORSE, AND TOURISTS HAVE FLED. THE FEDERAL TAKEOVER IS VERY UNPOPULAR WITH POTENTIAL AREA JURORS, BUT NECESSARY FOR SAFETY, GREATNESS, & FOR ALL THE WORLD TO SEE!"
Nope. No vision of dictatorship there.

I suspect he will try to get Republican state legislators to reverse a state’s result.
Among other things, including ALL other things that might, in his addled mind, get him back into power. REGARDLESS of the human cost, or the survival of this Country.
The man is insane, sociopathic and dumb as a post. A perfect society would have him in a rubber room.
Since he's so into "free speech" (threatening judges, jurors, witnesses, tainting jury pools) this week, I'll exercise my "free speech" right now and say someone should eliminate him.
I wouldn’t say that. But hoping for his inevitable demise to hurry up and come on is not out of the realm of possibility for me.

if someone were to shoot him it would make matters very bad. The assassination of Julius Caesar didn’t help the Roman Republic recover. But his natural death would not have the same impact.

He might actually call for a general uprising. But I’m not sure if it would have much of an impact. There might be some isolated incidents, but I suspect that they’d be easily contained by the administration. The prosecutions for January 6 will deter many.

if someone were to shoot him it would make matters very bad. The assassination of Julius Caesar didn’t help the Roman Republic recover. But his natural death would not have the same impact.
For many of his congregates no death of Trump will ever be natural.

Reactions: SLD
For many of his congregates no death of Trump will ever be natural.
I'll be honest, someone who doesn't exercise and lives off a steady diet of KFC and amphetamines living past 70 is decidedly unnatural. Trump still breathing is the real conspiracy.

He might actually call for a general uprising. But I’m not sure if it would have much of an impact. There might be some isolated incidents, but I suspect that they’d be easily contained by the administration. The prosecutions for January 6 will deter many.

You are an optimist. I have a less sanguine view.

There are millions of Americans who idolize Trump and believe, or pretend to believe, that everything he says is true. Most of these millions own guns.

In the olden rational days, a voice like Cronkite or even Nixon or Reagan would speak out, and call off the mob. But now we have entire networks which will support the seditions, and almost the entire Republican Party will fall in line. The GOP retains much electoral strength; litigation against Trump will cause anger; countersuits (including Impeach Biden) will drown the airwaves and provoke violence. The GOP will be increasingly corrupt, craven and criminal.

This story does not have a happy ending.

He might actually call for a general uprising. But I’m not sure if it would have much of an impact.
It has already been shown that he is no longer as capable as he was, of egging masses on to commit violent crimes for him. But Republican political operatives, lawyers and elected officials are another matter. As long as they think they have plausible deniability, they’re going to cheat every way they can.
The theft of the ‘24 election is already in process. Whether it succeeds is anyone’s guess. I’m guessing not; incompetence is a hallmark of everything Cheato does.

You are an optimist. I have a less sanguine view.

There are millions of Americans who idolize Trump and believe, or pretend to believe, that everything he says is true. Most of these millions own guns.

In the olden rational days, a voice like Cronkite or even Nixon or Reagan would speak out, and call off the mob. But now we have entire networks which will support the seditions, and almost the entire Republican Party will fall in line. The GOP retains much electoral strength; litigation against Trump will cause anger; countersuits (including Impeach Biden) will drown the airwaves and provoke violence. The GOP will be increasingly corrupt, craven and criminal.

This story does not have a happy ending.
Scary thought, but you may be right. I would think that national guard units or even regular army units could put down any such insurrection though. While I don’t think Republican governors would call out the guard, Biden has the authority to federalize the guard and put down any insurrection.

There’s only one Republican governor near DC, and that’s Virginia governor Glenn Youngkin. He’s an asshole for sure, but I don’t think he’s totally off his rocker and would join the coup.

That‘s why I don’t see how the mob could even get to DC. Even if they did, Biden won’t risk a problem and the National Guard will be in force to stop any serious efforts by such a mob. Biden, as Commander in Chief will have far more resources to defend the process than he did as a candidate in 2020. Certainly a repeat of January 6 is not likely in the cards.

but what else could they do?

I'm worried what happens if he wins.

I think that's unlikely. He lost the popular vote in 2016 and only won on the electoral. He lost both - badly - in 2020, and he has lost a decent amount of independent voters since then. Yes, his base is energized by every indictment, but at the end of the day, all their rage doesn't translate to enough votes to win if the independents and swing voters aren't on board.

Perhaps more importantly, the reason he was able to take the nation to the knife edge of a descent into fascism in January of 2021 was because he still had one branch of the federal government at his fingertips. Governors and secretaries of state would pick up the phone in no small part because the call was coming from the White House. There was - for a moment - the chance that he could sway the Vice President to set aside the electoral vote count so that there could be a "do-over" in the states.

He doesn't have that this time.

He doesn't get to set up a rally at the Ellipse. If recent events are any indication, he doesn't have the juice to call for mass protests. There's all sorts of options that are off the table for Citizen Trump.

Could he still eek out a win? Maybe. But it would have to be such an overwhelming victory as to be undeniable, and to date, he's not managed to pull that off.

I'm worried what happens if he wins.

I think that's unlikely. He lost the popular vote in 2016 and only won on the electoral. He lost both - badly - in 2020, and he has lost a decent amount of independent voters since then. Yes, his base is energized by every indictment, but at the end of the day, all their rage doesn't translate to enough votes to win if the independents and swing voters aren't on board.

Perhaps more importantly, the reason he was able to take the nation to the knife edge of a descent into fascism in January of 2021 was because he still had one branch of the federal government at his fingertips. Governors and secretaries of state would pick up the phone in no small part because the call was coming from the White House. There was - for a moment - the chance that he could sway the Vice President to set aside the electoral vote count so that there could be a "do-over" in the states.

He doesn't have that this time.

He doesn't get to set up a rally at the Ellipse. If recent events are any indication, he doesn't have the juice to call for mass protests. There's all sorts of options that are off the table for Citizen Trump.

Could he still eke out a win? Maybe. But it would have to be such an overwhelming victory as to be undeniable, and to date, he's not managed to pull that off.
I don’t know. I hope you’re right. But Trump only lost PA by a little more than 1% and Georgia by less than 1/4 percent. He only needs 11,779 votes as he famously put it. Generally the incumbent does worse on the second go round.

This time may be different, because Trump is on his third go round. He’s not a new thing for voters who may be tired of the incumbent. The poor showing of the Republicans in the midterm, especially the more rabid Trump supporters does give me hope that the country is sick of him and his shit.

The sane republicans missed the chance with the negative vote on the impeachment and it seems like they have abdicated their responsibilities to the legal system. I hope the legal system can do what it should. I have grave concerns if it cannot.

Back
Top Bottom