• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

The Trump Game?

The longer his run goes on, the longer the other candidates have to squirm at the prospect of having to fight him for support of the racist wing of the party.

Last time around, she played nice and sat down.

Well ... eventually. Her campaign kept going about a month past its expiry date while slinging unecessary shit at her party's nominee.

Talk of that election provides a nice segue back to the topic of the thread, though. Does anybody else find it really ironically funny that John McCain, the guy who introduced Sarah Fucking Palin to the national stage, is now dissing Trump for firing up the crazies in the GOP? It's somewhat surreal.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, Trump thinks that the real unemployment rate is 40%

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2015/jul/16/donald-trump-unemployment-rate-might-very-well-be-/

To be fair to John McCain, he had no idea who Sarah Palin was and no one else would touch the gig.

The longer his run goes on, the longer the other candidates have to squirm at the prospect of having to fight him for support of the racist wing of the party.

I think that Cruz is actually displaying a decent strategy in regards to this. He's not quite supporting the crazier things that Trump is saying but he's not distancing himself from Trump either and is treating him as if he's a viable candidate. When Trump does leave the field and all his supporters are looking for a new candidate, Cruz will be well positioned to pick up most of them.

Sure, most of them would already be Cruz supporters right now if Trump hadn't joined in, but now all of Cruz's issues are becoming central points of the campaign and no matter what crazy shit he says about it when it's his turn as the Not-Bush, it won't be as crazy as what Trump's been saying and Cruz will come across as somewhat moderate when calls for extremist bullshit.

- - - Updated - - -

To be fair to John McCain, he had no idea who Sarah Palin was and no one else would touch the gig.

OK, that is a fair point. Not knowing who your VP candidate is demonstrates a whole other level of problems, but it wasn't fair to say that he did it intentionally.

So do you think its over now that he's insulted McCain and POWs?

Maybe.

I don't think so. McCain isn't hugely popular in the GOP now. Lots of them consider him to be ideologically unfit, and blame him for Obama's election. And frankly, I've always thought that republican support for soldiers and veterans was always just a farce. It will be interesting to see what the next poll says.

This from the Economist:

http://www.economist.com/blogs/democracyinamerica/2015/07/politics-and-deal-making

Apologies for naked link, using phone.
Gist is that Trump is blackmailing the republican establishment to get gambling and real estate regulatory concessions - or he makes sure Hillary wins by running as as an independent and pulling the regular repub racist vote that usually goes to the nominee.

If that's the case it's actually kinda brilliant, evil, but brilliant. At the same time though it definitely does damage the republicans by exposing more so than usual the sizeable xenophobic cohort of batshit crazies in their ranks that are stupid enough to swallow Trump's bullshit.

Wow, that would be evil but brilliant - IF - the republicans were unwilling to expose it.

This from the Economist:

http://www.economist.com/blogs/democracyinamerica/2015/07/politics-and-deal-making

Gist is that Trump is blackmailing the republican establishment to get gambling and real estate regulatory concessions - or he makes sure Hillary wins by running as as an independent and pulling the regular repub racist vote that usually goes to the nominee.

If that's the case it's actually kinda brilliant, evil, but brilliant. At the same time though it definitely does damage the republicans by exposing more so than usual the sizeable xenophobic cohort of batshit crazies in their ranks that are stupid enough to swallow Trump's bullshit.

Ya, I don't think he has that kind of long game. I think he's just fucking crazy.

People are trying to describe what he's doing using a rational framework that makes sense. This doesn't work when you're describing the actions of an irrational nutbag.

This from the Economist:

Ya, I don't think he has that kind of long game. I think he's just fucking crazy.

People are trying to describe what he's doing using a rational framework that makes sense. This doesn't work when you're describing the actions of an irrational nutbag.

Exactly.

Exactly.

They guy's got the most dinner bells to ring. We all know everybody responds when their dinner bell is rung. Kind of reminds me of Reagan the acting president. Always fresh meat put out for consumption. When being alive isn't enough we always have a Trump come along to wake us up to the fact.

This from the Economist:

I want to believe that but at the same time I've known my fair share of irrational nutbags in my life, none of them have also been billionaires. I have no problem accepting that he is an arrogant narcissistic fuckhead but he's also made enough money to not write off the possibility he's on a personally enriching egotrip

I want to believe that but at the same time I've known my fair share of irrational nutbags in my life, none of them have also been billionaires. I have no problem accepting that he is an arrogant narcissistic fuckhead but he's also made enough money to not write off the possibility he's on a personally enriching egotrip

But it's the past few years where Trump has just gone completely off the deep end. He was always eccentric and was able to use his eccentricity to make a profit and create a brand. He's different now than he was a decade ago and that difference is due to insanity.

But it's the past few years where Trump has just gone completely off the deep end. He was always eccentric and was able to use his eccentricity to make a profit and create a brand. He's different now than he was a decade ago and that difference is due to insanity.

But Tom, our whole nation is capable of electing the likes of Dubbiya. Would you call that mass hysteria? Despite lots of information on what we should not eat, McDonalds still comes out with its third pound sirloin burger. I think Trump could be crazy as a bedbug and still capable of the kind of angular finagling described earlier (blackmailing the Republican party for gambling favors). Crazy people wield power amazingly effectively. There ought to be laws to crank that bad boy back into his holster. Lacking those laws he has the money to pretty much say and do as he pleases for whatever purpose he chooses.:thinking:

But Tom, our whole nation is capable of electing the likes of Dubbiya. Would you call that mass hysteria? Despite lots of information on what we should not eat, McDonalds still comes out with its third pound sirloin burger. I think Trump could be crazy as a bedbug and still capable of the kind of angular finagling described earlier (blackmailing the Republican party for gambling favors). Crazy people wield power amazingly effectively. There ought to be laws to crank that bad boy back into his holster. Lacking those laws he has the money to pretty much say and do as he pleases for whatever purpose he chooses.:thinking:

Ya, you might end up electing him (you won't, but you might), but that doesn't change the fact that he's crazy and not wily.

Ya, you might end up electing him (you won't, but you might), but that doesn't change the fact that he's crazy and not wily.

Maybe in a Wiley Coyote kind of way.

He's just trolling at this point. I predict Trump will have low numbers by Monday.

I think he'll have a couple more months of staying power. He is tapping into the disaffected, anti-establishment element in the GOP far better than any of the other candidates are. He is causing the GOP significant damage by being associated with it, to be sure, but his supporters are the ones who think that the GOP is already damaged and don't want to waffle into the election with another Romney who only gives lip service to their views. He'll burn out eventually, but it will be at least a couple of months before he's gone.

In other really, really unbelievable news, of the $1.9 million his campaign has raised, only $1.8 million of it came from Trump himself. The rest of the money was from people who ... like ... donated to Donald Trump's campaign for President. Seriously. That happened.

And that's great because it's very likely that those people have blown their contribution wad. This Trump thing is by far the best thing that could have happened to Hillary. It's like a good NFC team battling their way to the Superbowl and then facing the lowest ceded AFC team who got there because the three teams they faced in the playoffs all lost their quarterback on the first play of each game.

After all of Hillary's struggles, she'll be able to stroll into the White House this time, provided Trump stays in it until the end. And he very well could. The idea that he could have a tremendous influence on the nation's highest office would feed his ego for at least 6 months. And that influence would last for generations. That's because the next President will likely be able to decisively tip the Court in their favor. It wouldn't matter if the influence was good or bad; what matters to him is that he played a key role in it.

Back
Top Bottom