• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

The Trump Game?

funinspace

Don't Panic
Basic Beliefs
functional atheist; theoretical agnostic
I had thought Trump running again was just him being his usual blowhard self, trotting out for a bit more fame before another reality show season. Now I’m not so sure, as he has definitely burned some bridges with his outrageous comments. I don’t think he is so stupid as to think he could win the Repug nomination. Anywho, I thought this article was interesting. Could Trump be actually making plans to do a repeat of 1992 like Perot? It is an interesting thought, to have him pealing off enough Repug dimwits, to virtually guaranty a Clinton win (or possibly whoever the Dums pick). I didn’t know Trump has been involved with the Clintons, then again I have never really paid much attention to him.

http://www.nationalreview.com/article/420981/donald-trump-third-party-spoiler
Several other attendees also worry that Trump is egging on the GOP establishment to treat him so badly that he will have an excuse to run against it again in 2016. “The base is mad at the GOP leadership in Congress, worried conservative issues are getting ignored in the campaign, and fed up with political correctness,” Floyd Brown, president of the conservative Western Center for Journalism, told me. “If he moved to a third-party candidacy, many of his followers would be there with him.”
<snip>
But for many years Trump has been far more positive about Clinton. Hillary Clinton attended Trump’s 2005 wedding (and her husband Bill attended the wedding reception), and he has showered her Senate campaigns with contributions on four separate occasions. In 2012, after Clinton had been secretary of state for over three years, he told Fox News that she was a “terrific woman.”

Trump is what he has always been, an attention whore. The Presidency would be such an imposition on his lifestyle, I don't think he could stand it and I don't believe he actually wants it.

Trump is enjoying a small swell in poll numbers because he is a lot more entertaining than any of the other candidates. A lot of people will answer pollsters questions with a "protest vote."

Trump most certainly could win the Republican nomination.

Republican primary voters are incredibly ignorant and many respond positively to racism and class warfare.

What he is unlikely to win is a general election. The nation as a whole has a little more sense than Republican primary voters, but they did vote in large numbers for the dumbest and most destructive president in history, GW.

Republican primary voters are incredibly ignorant and many respond positively to racism and class warfare.

What he is unlikely to win is a general election. The nation as a whole has a little more sense than Republican primary voters, but they did vote in large numbers for the dumbest and most destructive president in history, GW.

I do not agree. The wheels will come off Trump's campaign, long before the convention. He has no support among the religious right, but all of that sector is already committed to the various Holy Roller candidates. The more responsible GOP functionaries have their own reputations to consider,

However, if anyone wants to have fun with it, imagine you are Donald Trump, you have just won the nomination, and you must pick a running mate. Your phone is in your hand. Who do you call?

I do not agree. The wheels will come off Trump's campaign, long before the convention. He has no support among the religious right, but all of that sector is already committed to the various Holy Roller candidates. The more responsible GOP functionaries have their own reputations to consider,

However, if anyone wants to have fun with it, imagine you are Donald Trump, you have just won the nomination, and you must pick a running mate. Your phone is in your hand. Who do you call?

The problem most campaigns run into is money.

And usually the person who spends the most wins.

True, but Trump had the money and still didn't win last time.

He'll show good numbers now, but he'll fall off long before the Republicans get serious.

Raises the most, not spends the most. Trump isn't a contender. He lacks the backing from the right-wing establishment, religious base, and the really fucking stupid conservatives. Those people are supporting Bush, ???, and Cruz, respectively.

Trump is a very successful failure. And that certainly helped W win, but Trump lacks just about every single skill needed for politics. Cruz is a better candidate. That is pathetic! Besides, Trump's biggest enemy is Christie. Christie can win an election and is a big mouth.

No one Tops Trumps

Trump is what he has always been, an attention whore.
Sure.

The Presidency would be such an imposition on his lifestyle, I don't think he could stand it and I don't believe he actually wants it.
I would agree.

Trump is enjoying a small swell in poll numbers because he is a lot more entertaining than any of the other candidates. A lot of people will answer pollsters questions with a "protest vote."
Sure again, but why burn so many bridges? There is no way any major media outlet would touch him for a few years with a new show. He is becoming poisonous to mainstream businesses and they will avoid him for a while as long as they sense danger. Trump may be an asshole, but he isn't a teabagging redneck dumb shit asshole. Being an entertaining attention whore for 6-9 months doesn't seem like a good long term plan...

In his day, Trump was as sharp as he was bombastic. He's lost it over the last few years, though.

Now he's just a crazy old guy yelling at people to get off his lawn. He doesn't have a plan beyond being insane. If I were one of his kids, I'd want to have him shuffled off before the inheritance dries up. The types of people for whom the Trump name is remaining valuable are not the type of people who invest in luxury hotels and the like.

Sure that is often the case, but it is not a rule. Romney spent more than #2 Giuliani, and #3 McCain in 2007/8, yet did not win. And outsiders rarely win the primary nomination within the 2 major parties. Trump has many factors against him within the Repugs with 3 marriages and obviously not super popular within fundagelical circles and a checkered past of playing with the evil Dums...

Bush III may have raised $100 million by the June 30 fundraising deadline.

Ghost-busters, you have a call, the person is looking for someone called Palin :D

Well, since I'm Donald Trump, I call myself. And when that doesn't work, I spend a billion dollars to get a clone of myself made ASAP. Other than that?

1. Some blonde chick with gigantic fake knockers who's the classiest, smartest, most best lady you ever seen.

2. A wooden dummy

At least Trump has put the notion of the Republicans being in a post-racial, Presidential political funk to rest. They still have a large amount of support within the party for overt racism.

At least Trump has put the notion of the Republicans being in a post-racial, Presidential political funk to rest. They still have a large amount of support within the party for overt racism.
Yes, he does tap into that Republican racist reservoir. Which is why it worries and embarrasses Republican bigwigs who realize that airing that racism hurts the party in national elections. Especially in states with large minority populations.

Donald Trump: A False Flag Candidate? A warmongering racist lunatic lets loose – and he’s crazy like a fox

That we have to take Donald Trump seriously confirms my longstanding prognosis that we’ve entered another dimension in which up is down, black is white, and reason is dethroned: in short, we’re living in BizarroWorld, and the landscape is not very inviting. Yet explore it I must, since the reality TV star and professional self-promoter is rising in the polls, and garnering an inordinate amount of media attention – and whether the latter is responsible for the former is something I’ll get into later, but for now let us focus on what practically no one else is paying much attention to, the Trumpian foreign policy.

Right off the bat, we run into trouble, however, since the signature sound-bites that characterize the Trump style don’t really qualify as anything close to a “policy.” Yet his various effusions on this topic do indeed translate into a mindset, which one might call blowhard-ism. And as much as it resembles the semi-coherent rantings of a drunk loudly pontificating in the dark recesses of some hotel bar at a Rotarians convention, it does reflect some “serious” trends to be found in the high-toned precincts of the foreign policy Establishment, not to mention among Trump’s fellow presidential aspirants in the GOP clown show.

On Iraq, The Donald makes much of his alleged opposition to the Iraq war – a position no one has documented to my satisfaction – but now that we’re back there, what’s Trump’s plan? "We shouldn’t have been there,” he opines, and yet “once we were there, we probably should have stayed.” While this may sound bafflingly counterintuitive, not to mention flat out contradictory, you have to remember two things: 1) In Bizarro World, contradictions do exist, A is B, and the sensible is the impossible, and 2) Similar things were said about the Vietnam war by politicians less obviously nutso than The Donald.

Finally, one has to wonder about the provenance of the Trump phenomenon. Seemingly coming out of nowhere, it’s been attributed to a populist upsurge against the regnant elites, who are so out of touch with the people that they never saw what was coming. The media, we are told, are biased against Trump – this is one of The Donald’s chief complaints – and now The People are rising up against the Washington-New York know-it-alls with their “big words” and pretentious airs.

Yet this analysis is lacking in one key ingredient: the facts. For the reality is that the media, far from ignoring Trump, have lavished so much attention on him that he’s eating up coverage that would otherwise go to the rest of the crowded Republican field. And that may be a clue as to what’s really going on here….

The usual “mainstream” media tactics regarding a political outsider they hate is to ignore him or her: the example of Ron Paul should suffice to make this point. Indeed, Jon Stewart pointed this out in a memorable “Daily Show” segment, and it took Paul three runs for the White House to get their attention. Trump has suffered no such fate: quite the opposite, in fact. The Donald’s every demagogic pronouncement is faithfully recorded and broadcast far and wide. Over a hundred reporters crowded into his latest appearances in Las Vegas and Phoenix. Jeb Bush, for all the many millions stuffed into his campaign coffers, couldn’t buy that kind of exposure.

This gift to the Trump campaign is being celebrated by Democratic politicos and consultants as if it were manna from heaven. The Republican “brand,” they aver, is being sullied beyond redemption, and they’re watching this unanticipated and providential miracle from the peanut gallery with unalloyed glee.

Trump has been playing the media with his supposed presidential ambitions for years, but it was clear then that it was just The Donald doing what he does best – promoting himself. So why now has he suddenly turned “serious”? I give that word scare quotes because 1) Serious is not a word one associates with a clown, and 2) It’s not at all clear that, for all his megalomania, he really thinks he can win the White House. He may be a lunatic but he’s far from stupid.

And so the question jumps out at us: Why now?

Although I have no concrete proof of my theory, there’s plenty of circumstantial evidence. His ties to the Clintons, his past pronouncements which are in such blatant contradiction to his current fulminations, and the cries of joy from the Clintonian gallery and the media (or do I repeat myself) all point to a single conclusion: the Trump campaign is a Democratic wrecking operation aimed straight at the GOP’s base.

Donald Trump is a false-flag candidate. It’s all an act, one that benefits his good friend Hillary Clinton and the Democratic party that, until recently, counted the reality show star among its adherents. Indeed, Trump’s pronouncements – the open racism, the demagogic appeals, the faux-populist rhetoric – sound like something out of a Democratic political consultant’s imagination, a caricature of conservatism as performed by a master actor.

Now I realize this is a “conspiracy theory,” and, as we all know, there are no conspiracies in politics. In that noble profession, everything is completely aboveboard and on the level – right?

Like hell it is.

That "racist reservoir" that laughing dog mentioned does sound an awful lot like a Democrat caricature of Republicans. And it sounds like Trump's current act.

That "racist reservoir" that laughing dog mentioned does sound an awful lot like a Democrat caricature of Republicans. And it sounds like Trump's current act.

If it's a caricature that's unrelated to actual Republican opinions, then the Donald should really stop polling so well amongst Republicans when he says these things.

Or are the polls yet another liberal conspiracy?

Donald has shined the light on the racist elements in the party. They believe he is telling the truth. Yes, it hurts the GOP by placing the meme that the party is out of touch crazy.

Read this: http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...person-donald-trump-exults-in-outsider-status

It is recap of his rally in Phoenix. He is throwing out what his audience is responding to.

Supporters ranged from Tammie Malkow-Dunham, 46, a soft-spoken Canadian who resents people skipping the queue for citizenship, to Alice Novoa, a peroxide blonde in a star-and-stripes jacket who ranted about a Mexican plan to use immigrants as fifth columnists to invade and massacre US Christians.

Those Mexicans are going to kill all Christians!

I think it's natural for thinking people to suspect a that behind all the ignorant bluster is a rational plan. People think that a man worth that much couldn't possibly be that ignorant , culturally insensitive or that stupid. I also think that believing that is a mistake. Trump is all ego. It's what drives him and everything he does. The Donald is a simpleton. The fact that he's had a TV show over the years has only swelled his head with him believing in the caricature of himself; the persona; that NBC has built.

He actually pictures himself as president, and he doesn't worry about the position crimping his style, because he believes he can just reform the presidency. Look at his awesome plan to end the war with ISIS by bombing the shit out of Iraqi oil fields. A plan the pentagon has politely called "untenable". This man is classic Dunning-Kruger effect all the way. He thinks he can just yell at people and make things happen because he's so smart. He's surrounded by yes men that he pays to jump upon command. There is no nuance, no complexity. He'll just yell at other countries to "knock it off" and think he's done.

He's a fool, but a rich one, so he appeals to those that worship wealth and want simple answers to complex problems. He's a national embarrassment.

Back
Top Bottom