• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

The Virus - Are You Affected?

I made it back by sneaking over the border like an illegal immigrant. It went well. I got tested afterwards and didn't spread the disease. That's nice.

Tomorrow Denmark will be back in hard lockdown. The only shops allowed open will be grocery shops and pharmacies. We never had the first wave here so all our at risks are still alive.

Christmas and New Years is cancelled

How do you "sneak across the border" when there's a sea in between? It's not exactly like the Danish-Swedish border is really comparable to the Austrian-Slovenian one, where in many places you won't even notice that you are crossing the border, and in others all that deters you is a sign saying that it's illegal to do so unless you carry travel documents and are a citizen of either country (quite possibly only in German and Slovenian with no English translation provided for international travellers).

You park the car, take the train. Find some brown people and sit next to them. When the cops come on board they will look at my papers quickly and focus on harassing the brown people = Success.

It was a gamble that paid off. Last time I tried I got caught, and they sent me back.

FFS, the city has closed the recycling center because of covid. Fucking ridiculous, it’s an open air facility. Meanwhile the privately owned recycling center a few blocks away is open.

Open air is lower risk, not zero risk. And recycling isn't something that needs to be done now.

According to the LA Times (heavy paywalled), recycling centers have closed, not only because of covid, but because the demand for recyclable material for manufacturing use has dropped precipitously worldwide so prices paid for the material has also dropped. This was a problem for the recycling industry even prior to covid, beginning with closings in April of last year.

Now either TSwizzle didn't know this and didn't bother to find out before providing us with his rant, or he did know and chose to be dishonest with his rant.

Which is it, TSwizzle?

I made it back by sneaking over the border like an illegal immigrant. It went well. I got tested afterwards and didn't spread the disease. That's nice.

Tomorrow Denmark will be back in hard lockdown. The only shops allowed open will be grocery shops and pharmacies. We never had the first wave here so all our at risks are still alive.

Christmas and New Years is cancelled

How do you "sneak across the border" when there's a sea in between? It's not exactly like the Danish-Swedish border is really comparable to the Austrian-Slovenian one, where in many places you won't even notice that you are crossing the border, and in others all that deters you is a sign saying that it's illegal to do so unless you carry travel documents and are a citizen of either country (quite possibly only in German and Slovenian with no English translation provided for international travellers).

You park the car, take the train. Find some brown people and sit next to them. When the cops come on board they will look at my papers quickly and focus on harassing the brown people = Success.

It was a gamble that paid off. Last time I tried I got caught, and they sent me back.

If you try to sneak across the NSW/QLD border without the COVID paperwork, they fine you $4,000, and then send you back.

This might be why QLD hasn't had a single locally acquired case since September.

If you try to sneak across the NSW/QLD border without the COVID paperwork, they fine you $4,000, and then send you back.

This might be why QLD hasn't had a single locally acquired case since September.

To be fair, Australia, being too far from anywhere else for international commuters to form a significant part of their labour force, has it easier implementing that kind of measure. In a Europe with under normal circumstances permeable borders, but still high wage level differences, societies would become unable to sustain essential services if locking the borders to daily and weekly commuters. 90% of in-home nursing and probably a majority of the work in nursing homes in Austria, for example, is done by people, mostly women, from Romania, Slovakia, and smaller numbers from other Eastern neighbours, who are bussed in and out for two-weeks gigs of long hours, alternating with two-week breaks at home. In regions close to the border, majorities of hospital nurses are daily commuters from the neighbouring countries. Close to 90% of highly seasonal farm work (picking strawberries, cherries, asparagus in the spring, apples in the fall...) is similarly done by people who're bussed in from our neighbouring countries for the gig.

If locking down the border impede's a nation's or region's ability to produce the most essential goods (food) and services (health care), there start to be trade-offs.

Last edited:

To be fair, Australia, being too far from anywhere else for international commuters to form a significant part of their labour force, has it easier implementing that kind of measure. In a Europe with under normal circumstances permeable borders, but still high wage level differences, societies would become unable to sustain essential services if locking the borders to daily and weekly commuters. 90% of in-home nursing and probably a majority of the work in nursing homes in Austria, for example, is done by people, mostly women, from Romania, Slovakia, and smaller numbers from other Eastern neighbours, who are bussed in and out for two-weeks gigs of long hours, alternating with two-week breaks at home. In regions close to the border, majorities of hospital nurses are daily commuters from the neighbouring countries. Close to 90% of highly seasonal farm work (picking strawberries, cherries, asparagus in the spring, apples in the fall...) is similarly done by people who're bussed in from our neighbouring countries for the gig.

If locking down the border impede's a nation's or region's ability to produce the most essential goods (food) and services (health care), there start to be trade-offs.

The Queensland/NSW border bisects the city of the Gold Coast. It's normally an almost completely unnoticeable dividing line, which in many places runs down the middle of streets in a built up area. Cross border commuters are extremely common.

IMG_5503.PNG

The Queensland/NSW border bisects the city of the Gold Coast. It's normally an almost completely unnoticeable dividing line, which in many places runs down the middle of streets in a built up area. Cross border commuters are extremely common.

There may be a slight difference between "Cross-border commuters are extremely common" (in a half-hour-drive radius along the border, and less so but still known to occur in a two-hour drive radius) on the one hand, and "entire low-wage sectors depend on commuter labour for clear majorities of their workforce, nationwide".

There may be a slight difference between "Cross-border commuters are extremely common" (in a half-hour-drive radius along the border, and less so but still known to occur in a two-hour drive radius) on the one hand, and "entire low-wage sectors depend on commuter labour for clear majorities of their workforce, nationwide".

Two hour drive?

Hahahahahaha!

Everyone in New South Wales north of Nambucca Heads is closer to Brisbane than to Sydney.

If they want anything you can't get in a small country town, that requires a drive (of more like four hours) across the border to get it.

By "extremely common" I mean that almost everyone who lives in Tweed Heads works in Queensland.

Two hour drive?

Hahahahahaha!

Everyone in New South Wales north of Nambucca Heads is closer to Brisbane than to Sydney.

If they want anything you can't get in a small country town, that requires a drive (of more like four hours) across the border to get it.

By "extremely common" I mean that almost everyone who lives in Tweed Heads works in Queensland.

That may well be so, but Queensland's agricultural or nursing sectors aren't suddenly deprived of 90% of their workforce by locking out weekly commuters. That's exactly what closing the borders without exceptions for commuters will do to many Western European economies.

Two hour drive?

Hahahahahaha!

That may well be so, but Queensland's agricultural or nursing sectors aren't suddenly deprived of 90% of their workforce by locking out weekly commuters. That's exactly what closing the borders without exceptions for commuters will do to many Western European economies.

Sure. :rolleyes:

My ex-wife and her father have both tested positive for the disease; he's a base player, and some libertarian moron came to one of his gigs in south Tucson while knowingly carrying the virus. Luckily for him, intentionally spreading a fatal disease to other people is a thing which you can do in the US without penalty, unless you're gay and the disease is HIV. Luckily Z and her Dad seem to both be experiencing mild-ish symptoms.

My sister is also quarantining this week after a workplace exposure. Trying to get tested, but it's impossible right now as she's in the middle of the LA hot zone; the nearest clinic with availability is two counties away. So, we will simply hope she has not caught it.

I got my daughter and brought her home today finally. 12 days ago I moved her from the college dorms to my mom's unoccupied house. Before leaving the dorms she had two negative c19 tests two days apart. The last test was on the day I moved her to spend 12 days isolating before coming home.

So now she's on break for almost a month before returning to college for spring semester. We've said she can have friends visit only outside with masks on.

My ex-wife and her father have both tested positive for the disease; he's a base player, and some libertarian moron came to one of his gigs in south Tucson while knowingly carrying the virus. Luckily for him, intentionally spreading a fatal disease to other people is a thing which you can do in the US without penalty, unless you're gay and the disease is HIV. Luckily Z and her Dad seem to both be experiencing mild-ish symptoms.

Wait, I was told it was only Trumpster maga hat wearing rat lickers that behaved like that. And covid 19 is not a fatal disease for the vast, VAST majority of people. And neither is aids by the way.

More coronavirus woes: Talked to my mother, and the disease is now running rampant in her church community (which was also my childhood church so I know most of the people involved). They haven't been meeting physically as a church (thank goodness) but I think a lot of the women had been bringing ever more of their personal friends into their "bubble", with the predictable affect of spreading it through the network anyway. At least ten of our old acquaintances have gotten sick, and one died very swiftly (he was not in good health).

On the good side, my sister has recovered from her case without ever showing serious symptoms, and is back at work at County behavioral health already. My ex-wife and her father are still sick, but not seriously. The rel threat for him s financial; no one wants to play with a guitarist who's had the 'Rona.

A few years ago I posted a memory of a college roommate's drunken attempts to steal an "Adrian Street" sign for his then girlfriend, later wife, after he died of  primary sclerosing cholangitis (same thing that killed Walter Payton). Well, I just learned that Adrian has been intubated after a week in ICU. At least one of their kids is still in college and maybe another.

This really sucks.

A few years ago I posted a memory of a college roommate's drunken attempts to steal an "Adrian Street" sign for his then girlfriend, later wife, after he died of  primary sclerosing cholangitis (same thing that killed Walter Payton). Well, I just learned that Adrian has been intubated after a week in ICU. At least one of their kids is still in college and maybe another.

This really sucks.

I am sorry to hea this. :(

Our office has had three covid positive tests in a week. One young guy has had symptoms, fever and aching but is on the mend. Three people is out of a staff of about 10 is quite a lot. Everyone else has had two tests since and all negative. People are going in to the office less and less.

Our office has had three covid positive tests in a week. One young guy has had symptoms, fever and aching but is on the mend. Three people is out of a staff of about 10 is quite a lot. Everyone else has had two tests since and all negative. People are going in to the office less and less.

See why we keep harping on masks?

See why we keep harping on masks?

"BuT tHeY WoRe MaSkS AnD sTiLl GoT iT, and NoBodY DieD!!!111"

To which I will preemptively respond:

The universe is probabilistic. Don't take probabilistically bad gambles because the probabilities of outcomes are the true arbiter of the ethics of engaging in the preconditions.

Masks are a good mandate, because they decrease probabilities of bad outcomes for everyone without decreasing the probabilities of good outcomes.

Back
Top Bottom