• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

The Virus - Are You Affected?

I'm scheduled for the vaccine in July

Oh, joy.
I don't know if they offer a similar thing in Denmark, but my son's girlfriend got her vaccine this month by registering on a waiting list for available short notice doses. She was able to be vaccinated due to no-shows for scheduled people.

Ruth

I won't. I wouldn't be comfortable with that on ethical grounds. I want all the at risks to get it first. I'm very healthy with the statistical risk of dying among the lowest. I should be last. While I want to get the vaccine faster. I want everybody to get it faster. I'm not going to jump any queue. I'll wait my turn.

Friend in Michigan wrote today to relate her vaccination saga. She lives in a city that is relatively liberal and well educated, and has been unable to get a vaccination appointment despite days on end spending hours online making repeated attempts. The lightbulb went off when she realized that less than 50 miles away was another county that went for Trump by over 60%.

So she submitted an application using a zipcode from that county and got an appointment on the first try, for four days later.

Dr. Z, IMHO you should get the vaccine if you can. You may not be at great risk for severe COVID, but:
* you could give it to someone who is, and
* the long-haul risk is great, even for people who are only mildly symptomatic or are asymptomatic. We don't know what the actual risk levels are for lifelong neurological, pulmonary, cardiac or other muscular impairment, but we know that they are real.

Oh, joy.
I don't know if they offer a similar thing in Denmark, but my son's girlfriend got her vaccine this month by registering on a waiting list for available short notice doses. She was able to be vaccinated due to no-shows for scheduled people.

Ruth

I won't. I wouldn't be comfortable with that on ethical grounds. I want all the at risks to get it first. I'm very healthy with the statistical risk of dying among the lowest. I should be last. While I want to get the vaccine faster. I want everybody to get it faster. I'm not going to jump any queue. I'll wait my turn.
Well, the way it is done here is that these doses will be wasted if they are not used immediately. She really didn't supplant any high risk individual who wanted to be vaccinated but was not able to get on a list; they contacted people in order of vaccine eligibility to see if they could make it in for the shot.

Ruth

Here they take vaccine out off the fridge when you physically present and make you wait while it thaws.

Here they take vaccine out off the fridge when you physically present and make you wait while it thaws.
Interesting. Here they start removing the day's doses from the refrigerator about an hour before patients arrive on the appointment day. The nurse told me that once the vaccine is removed from the refrigerator they can use it for up to 12 hours, but once the vial is punctured it has to be used within 6 hours. Those are the doses that would be wasted if they didn't have a backup short notice list to call.

Ruth

Interesting. Here they start removing the day's doses from the refrigerator about an hour before patients arrive on the appointment day. The nurse told me that once the vaccine is removed from the refrigerator they can use it for up to 12 hours, but once the vial is punctured it has to be used within 6 hours. Those are the doses that would be wasted if they didn't have a backup short notice list to call.

Ruth
I was wrong, russian vaccine also has few doses in one vial and has to be used after it was warmed up.

That's how I feel.
Technically I'm eligible because I'm 62. A few years younger and I'd be on a long waiting list. Because I'm otherwise very low risk. I'd rather wait, and let people with other issues get one first. Even if it's just a desire to go out to bars or churches safely again.

Tom

I hear you, Dr Z. The family has been pressuring my partner to get the vaccine by slightly dishonest means; I'm not keen on the idea, and neither is he. It's not as though we're at any special risk, hanging out in our apartment all day long as we do. But everyone wants "normal life" to resume, whatever that might mean!

Friend in Michigan wrote today to relate her vaccination saga. She lives in a city that is relatively liberal and well educated, and has been unable to get a vaccination appointment despite days on end spending hours online making repeated attempts. The lightbulb went off when she realized that less than 50 miles away was another county that went for Trump by over 60%.

So she submitted an application using a zipcode from that county and got an appointment on the first try, for four days later.

Dr. Z, IMHO you should get the vaccine if you can. You may not be at great risk for severe COVID, but:
* the long-haul risk is great, even for people who are only mildly symptomatic or are asymptomatic. We don't know what the actual risk levels are for lifelong neurological, pulmonary, cardiac or other muscular impairment, but we know that they are real.

Not only that but sometimes young, healthy individuals have become very ill and have died. I spoke with someone who had just lost her healthy son due to COVID19.

I am fortunate that my community has arranged mass vaccination clinics, starting first with 65+ or other significant health conditions. Health care workers, first responders, other essential workers had been vaccinated some time ago. I had put myself on a few lists where I qualified and then I saw the community vaccine program on Facebook and called the number to register. I was called back within an hour and got my first dose that night. I'll get my second dose next week. My husband was offered vaccination when he called to schedule a routine test and has now been fully vaccinated.

My thinking from the beginning was that I would get the vaccine at the earliest opportunity. I saw that every effort was being made to vaccinate those most at risk first and then to work down the list by risk level so I felt comfortable about grabbing the first vaccine I could.

Now I'm holding my breath that my kids will be able to be vaccinated this spring.

I hear you, Dr Z. The family has been pressuring my partner to get the vaccine by slightly dishonest means; I'm not keen on the idea, and neither is he. It's not as though we're at any special risk, hanging out in our apartment all day long as we do. But everyone wants "normal life" to resume, whatever that might mean!

Here in Denmark they'll start with vaccine passports to attend events. But the kicker is that you're also allowed in if you've had a recent test. And you can now get a quick test for free, without an appointment, pretty much everywhere. They seem to be on top of things here. I like how they've thought this through.

I don't mind waiting for the vaccine in this environment

Actually no, they've proven that you CANNOT give it to someone once you're fully vaccinated.

Actually no, they've proven that you CANNOT give it to someone once you're fully vaccinated.

Do you have a source for that? The last info I read was that they were unsure about transmission by fully vaccinated persons.

You have misunderstood what Elixir is saying. He is giving reasons why Dr. Z SHOULD get a vaccine if possible, not saying that he is already vaccinated.

Ruth

Oh, joy.

Ruth

Around here they don't consider it an ethical problem. Waste shots only happen when they don't succeed in giving them to the targeted groups. I got waste shot Monday, it was announced on both Facebook and Twitter as they had hundreds of shots (the center runs Tues-Sat, these were expiring Monday so they ran a special session) and I didn't notice anyone there that looked like they were in they were high risk. They were actually encouraging us to call our friends. (I don't know anyone eligible and who wants a shot that hasn't already gotten it.)

I don't think that's practical with the Pfizer shot I got. It doesn't come in individual doses.

Where have they proven that? Vaccines reduce the chance of infection and reduce the chance of passing it on but don't eliminate it.

I live in Copenhagen. My Dentist is in Malmö. Both countries have closed borders and change the rules so often its a crap shoot if I get in. Either way.

The good news is that I made it into Malmö. Wish me luck for getting home.

The cops on the train had awesome Sci fi zombie apocalypse gear. Epic.

Back
Top Bottom