• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

The Virus - Are You Affected?

They had an epidemiologist on TWIV for yesterdays episode who discussed what South Korea did right, that everybody else did wrong. It's important to realise that South Korea didn't shut down. They managed to contain it while society in general went on much as usual.

Maybe they weren't as locked down as other countries, but they did so some locking down.

Commitment, transparency pay off as South Korea limits COVID-19 spread – EURACTIV.com

South Korean authorities banned large gatherings, shut down educational institutions and other public spaces – such as parks, sports facilities and daycare centres – and cancelled all major sports events soon after discovering the first major eruption of disease in the country, in the southeastern city of Daegu.

In Seoul, a city of 9.7 million, public spaces were closed and protests banned as early as on 21 February, when the number of infections across the country was just 150. The total number stands at more than 8,000 currently.

Obviously they locked down anything that gathers people and won't impact the economy. It would have been stupid not to. But the country continued to operate as usual

Well, in small problemville, My Fair Lady has been rescheduled for June 2021. I did resign up for next season, because yeah, Playhouse Square is losing a lot of cash. And while our season tickets aren't even a drop in the bucket, it is something. And Cleveland being Cleveland, it actually does have a great theater system.

Our grocery stores have been generally well stocked. I haven't been in one in a bit, but order online and curb pickup.

Need masks for a project and going to try and sew one.

A woman in the supermarket had a mask on, strung ftom ear yo ear, but pushed up on top of her head like sunglasses.
Kind of useless. Not sure what the point would be.
But, i thought, she is alone in the shampoo aisle. Maybe she intends to lower it for interactions?
Later, saw her at checkout, leaning in to hand cash to the cashier. Nope. Mask was still raised to full mast on her hair.
I dunno, maybe she's a Gorgon? Her head snakes are protected from virii?

Perhaps she was like the person driving the car and leaves the turn blinker on for miles and miles.

No, it didn't operate as usual, they had an economic downturn, even if not so bad as other nations. People were staying home even if they weren't ordered to.

South Korea GDP: The first quarter of 2020 recorded the worst contraction since the Great Recession because of coronavirus - CNN

They should however recover better than other countries because they handled their outbreak better.

Australian dollar, New Zealand dollar, Korean won after containing coronavirus - CNBC

At the other end of the spectrum, the UK looks to far surpass the US daily body count today with over 4400 so far. We've been #1 in that department for what seems like ever. What did we do wrong? I think it was testing.
Even though the US is now #43 in tests/million people (total tests = about 1.8% of total population if no repeat testing), the UK REALLY sucks with about 1.2%.

Now that we're out of first place, I guess we can declare everything open so we can disqualify small businesses or the general citizenry from getting government aid and Trump's donor companies and individuals can get all the money. Never mind that today we took a giant leap forward in critical cases - a record by several thousand. We are now just shy of 20,000, so we can definitely look forward to re-capturing the death title very shortly, re-open or not.

UK changed their criteria and added some previously uncounted deaths, like NYC did one time.

A woman in the supermarket had a mask on, strung ftom ear yo ear, but pushed up on top of her head like sunglasses.
Kind of useless. Not sure what the point would be.
But, i thought, she is alone in the shampoo aisle. Maybe she intends to lower it for interactions?
Later, saw her at checkout, leaning in to hand cash to the cashier. Nope. Mask was still raised to full mast on her hair.
I dunno, maybe she's a Gorgon? Her head snakes are protected from virii?

Perhaps she was like the person driving the car and leaves the turn blinker on for miles and miles.

Very likely. We're all still trying to get used to be mindful of myriad little things that we never had to think about before. Distance, masks, follow the signs in the store, is that guy without the mask gonna breathe on me, dammit I forgot the disinfectant wipes, is anyone going to be an asshole today, what am I touching, who touched this... It's a lot of new habits to form all at once and requires constant alertness and awareness that, frankly, few if any of us are used to. So you're either tense and safe or relaxed and possibly putting people at risk.

For me, thinking about the grocery store, never mind actually going, is taking up ten times more air time in my head than ever before. It's a kind of steady, low level anxiety. Not a huge deal, but noticeable, you know? Kind of colors everything.

The insufferable prick of a governor of California, Gavin Newsom has gone full blown dictator. After scolding naughty Californians for going to the beach, he has decided to ground us by closing all beaches and parks.

California Gov. Gavin Newsom intends to order the closure of all state beaches and parks starting Friday, according to a copy of a memo provided to CNN by a senior law enforcement official. "We wanted to give all of our members a heads up about this in order to provide time for you to plan for any situations you might expect as a result, knowing each community has its own dynamics," the memo says.

An Orange County board of supervisors member pushed back on Newsom's expected announcement, calling it an "overreaction."
In a statement late Wednesday, Orange County Supervisor Don Wagner acknowledged Newsom has the authority to shutter the state's beaches, but called the decision "not wise."

CNN

The insufferable prick of a governor of California, Gavin Newsom has gone full blown dictator. After scolding naughty Californians for going to the beach, he has decided to ground us by closing all beaches and parks.

Are you saying that this virus is not the level that needs government control to mitigate, or that NO VIRUS would EVER be worthy of a need for government control to mitigate?

When I hear these comments, I assume the person is thinking, “I don’t see the need for this,” but I thought I’d check, in case my assumption is wrong and the person is actually thinking, “on principle, the government should never get involved in mitigating pandemics.”

What’s your thought when you post your reaction?

On this day in 1926, Stalin closed access to beaches. International support the dictator dropped almost immediately!

Would it be a waste of time to indicate that California has seen an increase of new daily Covid-19 cases, not a decline over the past week? In fact, in the last 10 days (including low reporting weekends), 7 days were higher than any of the days before April 19th? IE, California is seeing a resurgence of cases.

Are you saying that this virus is not the level that needs government control to mitigate, or that NO VIRUS would EVER be worthy of a need for government control to mitigate?

No. If you are interested in my thoughts on it you can read my earlier posts.

On this day in 1926, Stalin closed access to beaches. International support the dictator dropped almost immediately!

Would it be a waste of time to indicate that California has seen an increase of new daily Covid-19 cases, not a decline over the past week? In fact, in the last 10 days (including low reporting weekends), 7 days were higher than any of the days before April 19th? IE, California is seeing a resurgence of cases.
I wanted to correct my incorrect statement above. California is recording record new daily cases. This isn't a resurgence... that would require this to be under the first peak. This is their peak.

California is recording record new daily cases. This isn't a resurgence... that would require this to be under the first peak. This is their peak.

Very odd considering that CA was one of the first states to go into lockdown. *sniff* *sniff* Is that bullshit I can smell ?

California is recording record new daily cases. This isn't a resurgence... that would require this to be under the first peak. This is their peak.

Very odd considering that CA was one of the first states to go into lockdown. *sniff* *sniff* Is that bullshit I can smell ?

Yup, the smell is coming through loud and clear from your post.

California Gov. Gavin Newsom intends to order the closure of all state beaches and parks starting Friday, according to a copy of a memo provided to CNN by a senior law enforcement official. "We wanted to give all of our members a heads up about this in order to provide time for you to plan for any situations you might expect as a result, knowing each community has its own dynamics," the memo says.

An Orange County board of supervisors member pushed back on Newsom's expected announcement, calling it an "overreaction."
In a statement late Wednesday, Orange County Supervisor Don Wagner acknowledged Newsom has the authority to shutter the state's beaches, but called the decision "not wise."

CNN

That's what happens when people won't cooperate on being safe.

Florida seems to be governed by a cult.

Florida officials are no longer publishing the state's coronavirus death data

Florida's Department of Health has stopped publishing the state's coronavirus death toll data after medical examiners found that their count was around 10% higher than the state's official tally, according to the Tampa Bay Times.

The health department has withheld the medical examiner data for more than a week, according to the Times.

If you can smell it, it is coming from your end.

No, it means California is doing a good job. Lockdowns are supposed to delay and flatten the peak.

Newsom is wrong about closing beaches, because people can practice safe distancing in outdoor spaces like that, but it doesn't make him a dictator.

No, it means California is doing a good job. Lockdowns are supposed to delay and flatten the peak.

As I have said numerous times, the lockdown has done its job. When is this lockdown supposed to end anyway ? When immortality has been achieved or something, because the goalposts keep moving. The emphasis now should be on protecting the people that are actually at risk, i.e. the hundreds of people that are in care homes that have been in lockdown and are being decimated. Not families enjoying a day at the beach.

Newsom is wrong about closing beaches, because people can practice safe distancing in outdoor spaces like that, but it doesn't make him a dictator.

Newsom is an idiot altogether. His attitude is we have disobeyed his decree and he is going to punish us. He's a dictator alright.

Back
Top Bottom