• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

The Virus - Are You Affected?

I spent my winter in Nicargua. When I was there I made friends with a doctor there. According to her Nicaragua is overwhelmed by dead. Also in Ecuador and Venezuela. But authorities don't want to alarm people. So they've covered it up. AND they're telling people to go about their business as normal. In Nicaragua the president even organised a "peace and unity" march to beat the Corona virus together. Which helped the spread along. The Venezuelan president told the people in an adress that drinking vinegar can kill the disease. These are all countries who's health care systems are inadequate in the best of times.

According to her, the statistics coming out from these countries are all complete bullshit. The authorities are actively lying about the situtation.

No surprise. I would assume counts from any third world country are basically fiction--they lack the ability to test, nor would people be able to afford the medical care even if it existed. Also, in places like that there's not much reason to fight it--all they could do is drag out the pain while doing basically nothing to the end result. Business as usual is the least horrible choice.

FUCK FUCK FUCK

Why can't teenagers think?

Two parallel issues.

Issue 1:

My 19.5 year old daughter got an idea to sell her paintings on eBay. She posted some piece of crap and got a $200 offer to buy it and pay with PayPal. My daughter believed it and gave the guy the link for supposedly paying her on Pay Pal. Shortly after we got a call for her from TD Bank's Fraud prevention department. 3 Minutes after we got a call that she wanted to borrow $500 which she would get back in order to finish this "sale". Jesus Christ.

Issue 2:

Without saying anything to us she walked down to CVS to get shipping supplies. No face mask. Went inside. Possibly exposing herself to coronavirus and getting Covid-19.

Now my wife has a pre-existing condition that makes her higher risk and she's almost 59 years old. I am also almost 59 years old. I don't know if I have a risky condition but I smoke cigars. My son of 17 is overweight and my mother who I have to visit from time to time at her assisted living is 85 years old. We have to quarantine my daughter. She needs to sleep in the tent in the back yard for her quarantine period! In Massachusetts it's not freezing cold any more but neither is it camping weather out there.

We know that the chances of her catching this is low but we can't risk the chance of my wife getting really sick or dying. We can't risk exposing my mom. I can't risk getting this thing and my son can't.

Where the fuck are the rapid and freely available test????

Where are the teenager brains?

FUCK FUCK FUCK.

Stupid fucking teachers.
Stupid fucking Department of mental health
Stupid fucking cops

Ya, Cops.

My daughter is happy as a pig in shit living in her big tent in the back yard as she does her self-isolation. She even has electricity from the house to run one of those electric hot oil radiator room heaters if she gets cold. She has her electronics and a strong connection to our WiFi.

She's free roam of the yard and has been having a pile of fun whereas she'd be bored stiff stuck in her room and having to disinfect the kids shared bathroom whenever she used it.

Safe and happy as can be. I serve her her food and she has no regular chores to do. It's her choice and recall she's 19 and a half years old and an adult. We are actually under no legal obligation to actually take care of her but if course we want to.

But her teacher thinks that it's horrible that she's doing her isolation in a tent in the back yard. Despite my daughter emphatically telling this teacher that he's fine and it's her choice to be in the back yard, her teacher doesn't believer her. Her teacher thinks we are forcing her to lie. Her teacher called the cops.

So the cops showed up to our house after dark and demanded to see our daughter. They got to see her and she told them she wants to be outside. She's warm and well fed and is having fun. But the cops don't believe her either.

So the cops or the teacher also called the department of mental health. My daughter is still a client of DMH because having been adopted out of state foster care she still has trauma issues from when she was neglected as a child with her birth mom and negligent foster parents. DMH is threatening to take my 19.5 year old daughter and put her in a shelter! A shelter which is probably swarming with C19! My daughter is WTF? Are you crazy? I want to live at home. She'd still have to do isolation for two weeks before moving into the house again so what the fuck?

So the Cops don't believe her when she says she wants to be in the tent. School doesn't believe her when she says she wants to be in the tent. Her direct DMH mentor believes her but the mentor bosses don't believe my daughter when she says she wants to stay in the tent and off course have free movement in the yard and our woods.

We had to get my daughter and us a lawyer to essentially send cease and desist letters to school, the cops and DMH to stop harassing her and us. Will probably cost is $1000!

And to top it off, the teacher pulled something very unethical. My daughter keeps telling the teacher to leave her alone. Stop trying to call her cell and stop txting her. So on Friday when the teacher and staff and some 20 students were doing a Zoom call (which has serious privacy flaws) the teacher got my daughter's friend to call my daughter and then put his phone up to his computer so that the teacher to talk to my daughter. My daughter at first thought it was a 3 way phone call and not a group Zoom. The teacher tried to talk to my daughter and asked if she was OK. But my daughter started to suspect something fishy and asked if it was a group Zoom call. The teacher reluctantly admitted it was. Some thirty other people were listening in without telling my daughter! So my daughter hung up. What an invasion of privacy!

My daughter is furious at this teacher. She's scared of the cops and scared of DMH. They have basically ruined several days of her adventure outdoors to some degree. And she's fucking 19 and a half and is making these decision off her own free will!

A cop has tried to call her on her phone and ended up leaving a voicemail and my daughter is not going to call him back.

My daughter has a letter written by her/our lawyer to hand to the cops if they ever come on our property again but I can't wait for the cease and desist faxes to arrive at the school, DMH and cops to tell them to leave her, and us, alone!

I've parked my car at the top of the driveway and put a NO TRESPASSING sign on it.

Fuck the teacher big time.
Fuck DMH
FUCK the Cops.

FUCK FUCK FUCK

Two parallel issues.

Issue 1:

My 19.5 year old daughter got an idea to sell her paintings on eBay. She posted some piece of crap and got a $200 offer to buy it and pay with PayPal. My daughter believed it and gave the guy the link for supposedly paying her on Pay Pal. Shortly after we got a call for her from TD Bank's Fraud prevention department. 3 Minutes after we got a call that she wanted to borrow $500 which she would get back in order to finish this "sale". Jesus Christ.

Issue 2:

Without saying anything to us she walked down to CVS to get shipping supplies. No face mask. Went inside. Possibly exposing herself to coronavirus and getting Covid-19.

Now my wife has a pre-existing condition that makes her higher risk and she's almost 59 years old. I am also almost 59 years old. I don't know if I have a risky condition but I smoke cigars. My son of 17 is overweight and my mother who I have to visit from time to time at her assisted living is 85 years old. We have to quarantine my daughter. She needs to sleep in the tent in the back yard for her quarantine period! In Massachusetts it's not freezing cold any more but neither is it camping weather out there.

We know that the chances of her catching this is low but we can't risk the chance of my wife getting really sick or dying. We can't risk exposing my mom. I can't risk getting this thing and my son can't.

FUCK FUCK FUCK.

Stupid fucking teachers.
Stupid fucking cops

Ya, Cops.

My daughter is happy as a pig in shit living in her big tent in the back yard as she does her self-isolation. She even has electricity from the house to run one of those electric hot oil radiator room heaters if she gets cold. She has her electronics and a strong connection to our WiFi.

She's free roam of the yard and has been having a pile of fun whereas she'd be bored stiff stuck in her room and having to disinfect the kids shared bathroom whenever she used it.

Safe and happy as can be. I serve her her food and she has no regular chores to do. It's her choice and recall she's 19 and a half years old and an adult. We are actually under no legal obligation to actually take care of her but if course we want to.

But her teacher thinks that it's horrible that she's doing her isolation in a tent in the back yard. Despite my daughter emphatically telling this teacher that he's fine and it's her choice to be in the back yard, her teacher doesn't believer her. Her teacher thinks we are forcing her to lie. Her teacher called the cops.

So the cops showed up to our house after dark and demanded to see our daughter. They got to see her and she told them she wants to be outside. She's warm and well fed and is having fun. But the cops don't believe her either.

So the cops or the teacher also called the department of mental health. My daughter is still a client of DMH because having been adopted out of state foster care she still has trauma issues from when she was neglected as a child with her birth mom and negligent foster parents. DMH is threatening to take my 19.5 year old daughter and put her in a shelter! A shelter which is probably swarming with C19! My daughter is WTF? Are you crazy? I want to live at home. She'd still have to do isolation for two weeks before moving into the house again so what the fuck?

So the Cops don't believe her when she says she wants to be in the tent. School doesn't believe her when she says she wants to be in the tent. Her direct DMH mentor believes her but the mentor bosses don't believe my daughter when she says she wants to stay in the tent and off course have free movement in the yard and our woods.

We had to get my daughter and us a lawyer to essentially send cease and desist letters to school, the cops and DMH to stop harassing her and us. Will probably cost is $1000!

And to top it off, the teacher pulled something very unethical. My daughter keeps telling the teacher to leave her alone. Stop trying to call her cell and stop txting her. So on Friday when the teacher and staff and some 20 students were doing a Zoom call (which has serious privacy flaws) the teacher got my daughter's friend to call my daughter and then put his phone up to his computer so that the teacher to talk to my daughter. My daughter at first thought it was a 3 way phone call and not a group Zoom. The teacher tried to talk to my daughter and asked if she was OK. But my daughter started to suspect something fishy and asked if it was a group Zoom call. The teacher reluctantly admitted it was. Some thirty other people were listening in without telling my daughter! So my daughter hung up. What an invasion of privacy!

My daughter is furious at this teacher. She's scared of the cops and scared of DMH. They have basically ruined several days of her adventure outdoors to some degree. And she's fucking 19 and a half and is making these decision off her own free will!

A cop has tried to call her on her phone and ended up leaving a voicemail and my daughter is not going to call him back.

My daughter has a letter written by her/our lawyer to hand to the cops if they ever come on our property again but I can't wait for the cease and desist faxes to arrive at the school, DMH and cops to tell them to leave her, and us, alone!

I've parked my car at the top of the driveway and put a NO TRESPASSING sign on it.

Fuck DMH
FUCK the Cops.

How stressful and fucking infuriating! I'm so angry on your behalf right now. Holy crap. I hope it all works out soon and you guys get some peace.

FUCK FUCK FUCK

Two parallel issues.

Issue 1:

Issue 2:

FUCK FUCK FUCK.

Stupid fucking teachers.
Stupid fucking cops

Ya, Cops.

Fuck DMH
FUCK the Cops.

How stressful and fucking infuriating! I'm so angry on your behalf right now. Holy crap. I hope it all works out soon and you guys get some peace.

Thanks. These schools were never helpful and often hurtful when my daughter was really acting up. When she was 11 she would try to beat up her younger brothers. She would kick us. She has kicked so many holes in the walls of her room and of course the schools blamed us and never understood her primary diagnosis of Reactive Attachment Disorder (RAD). It's a rare condition but very common among kids who are removed from bio-parents for abuse and neglect and then festered in foster care. She came to us at 3.5 years old with full blown RAD. The school objected that we limited and supervised her play with her younger brothers, ignoring the fact that she would try to beat them up if we weren't watching. The Department of Children and Families did get it once our army of therapists and social workers explained and DCF told the school to start to cooperate but they never did.

DMH was largely useless.

She's finally straightening herself out but everyone still wrongly presumes that we are horrible.

I am so sick of brain dead school personnel, untrained cops and useless DMH.

I personally hope that when the teacher and principal get the fax from our daughter's attorney that the person is shamed to shit. I hate to wish a heart attack on anyone but I wouldn't cry about it.

The teacher is going way beyond what is required under mandatory reporting. Can you sue her for the legal costs? (Small claims.)

The teacher is going way beyond what is required under mandatory reporting. Can you sue her for the legal costs? (Small claims.)

Looking into it once the cease and resists are out. My daughter is an adult by law. I don't believe that mandated reporter applies to adults.

The attorney has sent us his draft letter to fax to the police department. We will review. It essentially says do not contact us or or our daughter and stay off the property.

We already have a letter to hand to them if they show up again informing them of my daughters rights as an adult and directing them not to attempt to talk to her without his presence in person or by phone or teleconference.

It's the school who needs to face the music here though. The harassment in my daughters view and that trick call to violate her privacy.

Looking into it once the cease and resists are out. My daughter is an adult by law. I don't believe that mandated reporter applies to adults.

The attorney has sent us his draft letter to fax to the police department. We will review. It essentially says do not contact us or or our daughter and stay off the property.

We already have a letter to hand to them if they show up again informing them of my daughters rights as an adult and directing them not to attempt to talk to her without his presence in person or by phone or teleconference.

It's the school who needs to face the music here though. The harassment in my daughters view and that trick call to violate her privacy.

Damn. I hope the attorney is as worked up about all this as I am just reading about it.

Damn. I hope the attorney is as worked up about all this as I am just reading about it.

He protects kids and families from abuse by the system. We've known him for years now and trust him. When we called him the other night he said he was just talking about us (anonymously of course) to another client as an example of what happens when families adopt kids who had previously been abused by bio parents and foster families. The kids come with serious issues and the system is hell-bent on abusing the adoptive parents who are also being abused by the adopted kids.

But our daughter has finally mostly gotten herself straightened out.

Anyway, this topic is supposed to be about how C19 is effecting people's lives. It looks to me like when a family including a living at home adult child make rational choices to limit potential exposure, the system is still ready to attack, blame and abuse families.

Tonight just a few minutes ago a cop car drove down our road with a 180 degree high intensity light shining into everyone's yards. He didn't stop except for at the top of my driveway and sat there for a few. He did the same last night and freaked out my son.

I guess we need our attorney to send his cease and desist fax sooner than later. He is scaring my boy.

Tonight just a few minutes ago a cop car drove down our road with a 180 degree high intensity light shining into everyone's yards. He didn't stop except for at the top of my driveway and sat there for a few. He did the same last night and freaked out my son.

I guess we need our attorney to send his cease and desist fax sooner than later. He is scaring my boy.

I'd be tempted to invest in a 10,000 lumen focused beam flashlight ...
This story is really upsetting; I can't imagine how you (and your family) feel.

Denmark just opened its border. Unofficially. Officially the border is still closed. But they've stopped checking papers. They just let anyone through now. No testing. The trains are still running. There's no restrictions on who is allowed to buy a ticket.

Funilly enough, they check papers the other way. From Denmark to Sweden. But that's just to stop Syrian refugees. I have a hard time seeing the usefulness of that policy now.

I was figuring a small claims action against the teacher would be a lot easier and it would probably do the job.

I was figuring a small claims action against the teacher would be a lot easier and it would probably do the job.

School needs to be told that they fucked up big time.

But more important is to make sure that DMH will not try to pull some bullshit and try to declare my adult daughter unfit to make her own decisions. Daughter says that they were thinking of trying.

And we need to keep the police off our back.

As an Australian with family in the UK, I find the idea that eleven hours is a long flight laughable.

Eleven hours is the point when you realise that you feel like you've been on the plane forever - but that you're only a third of the way there.

There are no thirty-three hour flights.

I once had a 33 hour flight. I was going to Australia, but I was doing it on Frequent Flyer miles. I was using USAir, which was a partner with British Airways. So that meant I had to take my flight on British Air. So that meant I had to go through London. So that meant going the wrong way around the planet. So it was home airport to Philadelphia, to London, to Singapore to Perth to Brisbane. 33 hours from first wheels up to last wheels down. I was just glad I was doing ti in first class. It would have SUCKED to do that in coach. Homeward it was the same, except without a stop in Perth. When we landed in Philly it was snowing and our connection was cancelled so we rented a car and drove. 25 hours on the way home. But Australia and New Zealand were worth it.

Holy cow, crazyfingers, that's just nuts. I'm sorry you're getting that kind of harassment on top of quarantine. It's just ridiculous and I don't have words for how wrong I find it.

Holy cow, crazyfingers, that's just nuts. I'm sorry you're getting that kind of harassment on top of quarantine. It's just ridiculous and I don't have words for how wrong I find it.

It's nuts you're right. With her heater in there she's got the tent at 73 degrees. It's 41 degrees outside. Our house is only set for 67 degrees. She's streaming her favorite shows on her Chromebook and I just finished serving her green beans, garlic bread and a crock of home made chowder and with a chocolate pudding and cookies. Cripes, she's doing some woodworking project she wanted to do.

If I had to self isolate, I'd choose that kind of a life too instead of being stuck in my bedroom. Nice and warm. Someone bring me all the food I want and I could go outside whenever I wanted. The only drawback is the potty in the woods and showering. But of course we bring her the hot water and her shower is set up so that she's inside a tarp.

But no. Closed minded morons think she should be bored stiff isolated in her bedroom and only use the bathroom when someone else can disinfect it.

As an Australian with family in the UK, I find the idea that eleven hours is a long flight laughable.

Eleven hours is the point when you realise that you feel like you've been on the plane forever - but that you're only a third of the way there.

There are no thirty-three hour flights.

I once had a 33 hour flight. I was going to Australia, but I was doing it on Frequent Flyer miles. I was using USAir, which was a partner with British Airways. So that meant I had to take my flight on British Air. So that meant I had to go through London. So that meant going the wrong way around the planet. So it was home airport to Philadelphia, to London, to Singapore to Perth to Brisbane. 33 hours from first wheels up to last wheels down. I was just glad I was doing ti in first class. It would have SUCKED to do that in coach. Homeward it was the same, except without a stop in Perth. When we landed in Philly it was snowing and our connection was cancelled so we rented a car and drove. 25 hours on the way home. But Australia and New Zealand were worth it.

Holy shit. What an ordeal. But at least you logged some bigtime miles.
I once spent more than 24 hours trying to fly home from Las Vegas, a leg that usually involves an under two hour flight - I've driven it in under 10 hours!

Wow, crazyfingers - that is stressful. I hope your cease and desist letter is effective. And also, I’m so glad to hear she is doing so much better.

Denmark has aparently fixed their testing capabilities. So now it's possible for anybody who wants to get tested. You still need a doctor's referal. It's pretty simple to get. I don't think I've had it yet, so I'm not getting tested. Not yet anyway. But my girlfriend is. She's got a cough

Back
Top Bottom