• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

The Virus - Are You Affected?

I did mean to continue my thought to include that. Because indeed, the protests would have been ferocious. Heck, the mindset of these idiots is so bad, they are protesting Republican Governors!

They have become unwitting minions of Vladimir Putin. I think keeping those people riled up serves as a continuous warning to Cheato that he better stay in line.

Oh, ffs, they aren't the nitwits. It's those who don't care about the danger to public health who are the nitwits.
With 90 to 95% of people who contract Covid suffering next to no problems the danger to public health is minimal.

That is untrue. In the US, the covid-19 Case Fatality Ratio is 6.1. In other countries, it is as high as 16.4%. That means that for every 100 people who have tested positive for covid-19, somewhere between 6 and 16 people die. And then there are the people who end up in the hospital needing urgent care. By no stretch of the imagination can this risk be classified as minimal, and I don't understand your stubborn insistence on calling it that.

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/data/mortality

That is untrue. In the US, the covid-19 Case Fatality Ratio is 6.1. In other countries, it is as high as 16.4%. That means that for every 100 people who have tested positive for covid-19, somewhere between 6 and 16 people die. And then there are the people who end up in the hospital needing urgent care.

Ah, statistics. As said numerous times, I am skeptical of these numbers and you should be too. Looking at that web site the numbers vary from .1% to 16.4%. That is waaaaay too wide a range to be meaningful or reliable.The reality is, we don't know how many people have had it and never knew because they had no symptoms. Mass testing may shed a better light on things later.

By no stretch of the imagination can this risk be classified as minimal, and I don't understand your stubborn insistence on calling it that.

Because that is what the data says, so far. And Chris Whitty (the UK's Chief Medical Officer) came out at a news briefing May 11th making that clear. The vast majority of people will be unaffected by this virus. They won't even contract the virus. And those that do contract it, the vast majority (I think Witty said 80%) will experience nothing or symptoms will be very mild. However, it's a killer to the very elderly and health compromised. The statistics are skewed thanks to the sloppy job being done protecting care homes. Once there is an infection there, it is damn near 100% fatal, you may as well have set fire to the care home.

So, there is no reason to continue with this irrational lockdown in it's current form. It's time to ease up, slowly get things opened up and keep the old folks and vulnerable safe.

Ah, statistics. As said numerous times, I am skeptical of these numbers and you should be too. Looking at that web site the numbers vary from .1% to 16.4%. That is waaaaay too wide a range to be meaningful or reliable.

Mmm. Yes. Johns Hopkins definitely has a reputation for being unreliable and having no relevant knowledge about medicine, immunology,or epidemiology. I mean, they clearly know waaaaaaaaaaay less than you do about those subjects.

Ah, statistics. As said numerous times, I am skeptical of these numbers and you should be too. Looking at that web site the numbers vary from .1% to 16.4%. That is waaaaay too wide a range to be meaningful or reliable.

Mmm. Yes. Johns Hopkins definitely has a reputation for being unreliable and having no relevant knowledge about medicine, immunology,or epidemiology. I mean, they clearly know waaaaaaaaaaay less than you do about those subjects.
Really, there is little argument for even than 0.1%. NYC is about the best we've got at the moment. Roughly 20% statistically had antibodies (1.68ish million) and 15,000 deaths. Do the math and that gives us around 0.9%. So 0.5% seems like a basement number.

Former Coronavirus Skeptic Warns Others To Take Pandemic Seriously After Infection
Both him and his wife are in the hospital, she has been on a ventilator for three weeks.

Trump Fan Who Recorded Herself Refusing to Wear Mask at Trader Joe’s Now Has Symptoms
She got all upset that they refused to serve her because she wasn't wearing a mask. Looks like they were right to do so.
What an asshole. 'Haw, it just gave me a sore throat, therefore it is all a lie.' Wonder if she spread it to others. I wonder her degrees of separation from someone she helped to kill.

Oooooh, my first ever negative rep!

That is untrue. In the US, the covid-19 Case Fatality Ratio is 6.1. In other countries, it is as high as 16.4%. That means that for every 100 people who have tested positive for covid-19, somewhere between 6 and 16 people die. And then there are the people who end up in the hospital needing urgent care.

Ah, statistics. As said numerous times, I am skeptical of these numbers and you should be too. Looking at that web site the numbers vary from .1% to 16.4%. That is waaaaay too wide a range to be meaningful or reliable.The reality is, we don't know how many people have had it and never knew because they had no symptoms. Mass testing may shed a better light on things later.

Mass testing is starting to be done and it's not going exactly your way. A study in Spain with antibody tests in a representative sample indicates 5% in thre country have been infected. Given Spain's population of 47 million and a known death toll of 27k+ suggests a CFR of 1-1.2%

https://english.elpais.com/society/...paniards-have-contracted-the-coronavirus.html

Mass testing is starting to be done and it's not going exactly your way. A study in Spain with antibody tests in a representative sample indicates 5% in thre country have been infected. Given Spain's population of 47 million and a known death toll of 27k+ suggests a CFR of 1-1.2%

https://english.elpais.com/society/...paniards-have-contracted-the-coronavirus.html
This appears to fall in line with the 0.9% of NYC. I mean, the good news is the number is relatively low. The bad news, that is still a lot potential dead people.

Meanwhile in "this people are assholes", some places are adding surcharges now that they are opening back up because of the increased cost of doing business. And that has the people that demand these places open up angry.
article said:
Images began circulating on social media this week of a $2.19 “COVID 19 Surcharge” added on a receipt at West Plains’ Kiko Japanese Steakhouse & Sushi Lounge. As the image was reposted, many people commented about their disagreement with the added charge.

“ ’Scuse me ... what? A covid surcharge...?” asked one social media user, whose tweet showing the receipt has more than 250 retweets and 550 likes.
I remember being in Niagara Falls and seeing their BS corporate tax on the bill. Somehow the businesses bounded together to create a fake surcharge tax. And that was stupid. But in this case, we have legit cost of business increases. Prices for food are higher, there is a requirement for most disposal equipment, there is more cleaning. So yeah, the idea that services will cost more isn't exactly surprising, especially seeing a lot of this are new expenses for work and coming out up front.

Meanwhile in "this people are assholes", some places are adding surcharges now that they are opening back up because of the increased cost of doing business. And that has the people that demand these places open up angry.
article said:
Images began circulating on social media this week of a $2.19 “COVID 19 Surcharge” added on a receipt at West Plains’ Kiko Japanese Steakhouse & Sushi Lounge. As the image was reposted, many people commented about their disagreement with the added charge.

“ ’Scuse me ... what? A covid surcharge...?” asked one social media user, whose tweet showing the receipt has more than 250 retweets and 550 likes.
I remember being in Niagara Falls and seeing their BS corporate tax on the bill. Somehow the businesses bounded together to create a fake surcharge tax. And that was stupid. But in this case, we have legit cost of business increases. Prices for food are higher, there is a requirement for most disposal equipment, there is more cleaning. So yeah, the idea that services will cost more isn't exactly surprising, especially seeing a lot of this are new expenses for work and coming out up front.

So long as it's disclosed ahead of time it makes sense.

What has really pissed me off is that when I used to travel for business more I'd book a hotel room based on publicized room rate but then when I checked in they told me I also was required to pay a mandatory Services and Entertainment Fee that may be as much as $40/night on top of their publicized room rate. THAT pissed me off a ton.

Kingston barber tests positive for COVID-19 after cutting hair in violation of NY order

A barber who was cutting hair in a Midtown shop, in violation of the "New York on Pause" order, has tested positive for COVID-19, the Ulster County health commissioner said Wednesday afternoon.

Dr. Carol Smith said in a prepared statement that the barber "has been providing haircuts during the last few weeks" at a barbershop on Broadway and tested positive for COVID-19 this week.

Smith did not identify barber or the shop, but said in her statement: "Anyone who has received a haircut in a Kingston barbershop in the last three weeks is urged to promptly contact their primary care physician and seek testing" or contact the county's COVID-19 hotline at (845) 443-8888.

Oooooh, my first ever negative rep!
He gave me my first one too. Does anyone else even bother?

This appears to fall in line with the 0.9% of NYC. I mean, the good news is the number is relatively low. The bad news, that is still a lot potential dead people.

I wouldn't have called either low. Studies in Germany*, Iceland or South Korea have suggested figures between 0.35-0.7%.

*The German study is based on one particular cluster in one particular small town that was heavily affected in the early stages of the pandemic reaching Germany, so it's quite possibly biased in that this happened to be a cluster among mostly young people, or that the one (?) local nursing home managed to evade getting infected. Iceland and South Korea provide better figures since both countries have very solid testing regimes, including systematically testing asymptomatic contacts of known carriers.

Which seems to be about the same number we get whenever we can look at everyone, not just the obviously infected.

Back
Top Bottom