• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

The Virus - Are You Affected?

TSwizzle, I am curious - do you have family or friends that you are very close to? If so, are any of them high risk for this virus and are you saying these same things to them?

These are silly and irrelevant questions.

"The risks to others resulting from my irresponsible behavior are silly and irrelevant."

The risks to others resulting from my getting a haircut are negligible.

And in subsaharan Africa, "it's just a little mosquito bite".

Yup. I saw a lot of the same attitudes with traveling companions in Africa. Most were very lax about taking their medicine and most of the group caught malaria. Fortunately, nobody got a really bad case. I at least had a legitimate excuse--I couldn't take the drug I should have been taking and had to settle for chloroquine when it was known to no longer provide complete protection.

"People getting their heads and faces touched frequently by someone who has obligorory contact with the faces and heads of other strangers, when touching heads and faces is a primary driver of transmission".

If you are so afraid, stay home, cut your own hair.

Do you say ether same about driving in fog? "This is the fucking highway, I'm gonna drive my 70 miles an hour even if I only see 20 meters. I'd you're too afraid to do so, you stay home!"

"The risks to others resulting from my irresponsible behavior are silly and irrelevant."

"I am not a doctor nor epidemiologist, have not studied epidemiology or even statistics, nor even watched many television shows on epidemiology or statistics, and in my opinion the risks of doing exactly the thing that all those people who do study such things, and who say will act as a vector for this virus, is in fact negligible"

Seems to me the ‘open everything up’ people think in terms of a false dichotomy. They look at the small percentage of infected dying and somehow think ‘not dying’=‘’perfectly fine’. Ignoring the great number of people who recovered after weeks in the hospital, or the chances of strokes and organ damage that can happen to those that still manage to recover.

Of course that is in addition to being self centered fuckwads who don’t care about putting others at risk.

Seems to me the ‘open everything up’ people think in terms of a false dichotomy. They look at the small percentage of infected dying and somehow think ‘not dying’=‘’perfectly fine’. Ignoring the great number of people who recovered after weeks in the hospital, or the chances of strokes and organ damage that can happen to those that still manage to recover.

Of course that is in addition to being self centered fuckwads who don’t care about putting others at risk.

And we're seeing that when only fuckwads choose go to the beach, beachgoers complain that the beach is covered with fuckwads.

And we're seeing that when only fuckwads choose go to the beach, beachgoers complain that the beach is covered with fuckwads.

I'd rather be on a beach covered with fuckwads than indoors at a bar or restaurant where there's one fuckwad.
I'm not likely to do either, but my gut says there's less chance of getting infected at the fuckwad-covered beach.

I'd rather be on a beach covered with fuckwads than indoors at a bar or restaurant where there's one fuckwad.
I'm not likely to do either, but my gut says there's less chance of getting infected at the fuckwad-covered beach.

As has been pointed out, the sand gets washed with salt water regularly, there is open air diluting the influence of "fuckwad", and you can keep distance between yourself and others. After you are done you go and shower all the fuckwad exposure off.

One fuckwad coughs into the air of a bar, and then you'll be trapped with their fuckwad virus all goddamn night. That fuckwad touches a table and it doesn't get wiped down immediately, and now you touch that table and your beer, and now you're drinking the fuckwad juice...

Yeah, bars are worse.

"I am not a doctor nor epidemiologist, have not studied epidemiology or even statistics, nor even watched many television shows on epidemiology or statistics, and in my opinion the risks of doing exactly the thing that all those people who do study such things, and who say will act as a vector for this virus, is in fact negligible"

Clearly, you are an ignorant, micro managing control freak that doesn’t care about the facts of the situation. That’s fine, you stay home.

Clearly, you are an ignorant, micro managing control freak that doesn’t care about the facts of the situation. That’s fine, you stay home.

"How dare you actually contextualize my statements to invalidate my position and my 'alternative facts'. I feel I have a right to be a vector in the transmission of a virus that forces those who get it to take a 1:100 chance of dying even if they are healthy and a much higher chance still of forcing an expensive hospital stay and permanent effects from symptoms such as stroke. I'm going to just go out and do the things that will put you at risk, and you can't stop me!"

Edit: I'm glad I can be so "tedious"ly devoted to outing his rhetoric with context. Maybe he will just leave, though I suspect TSwizzle just blocked me. But honestly, that just means I can mock his ridiculous views without them attempting to last-word or further distort. "Bye" indeed.

It's not like I was making any attempt to change their mind anyway, my goal is, and will continue to be, to allow those silent readers to make their own decisions as to which "side" to glean wisdom from.

At any rate, it won't prevent his rep from going down as he continues to post asinine shit, and I continue to see it.

He can't get rid of his ignorance translator so easily.

Last edited:

What facts? You've yet to provide any.

A hairstylist worked while symptomatic and exposed 91 people to coronavirus

Facts like approximately 90% of the people that contract the virus are barely aware they even have it, those that do show symptoms, almost all of them recover, that for the remainder a very small % have severe problems, that more than 50% (conservative) of those that die, died in "skilled care homes" i.e. the very elderly and already health compromised, that the "curve" has been flattened, the hospitals are not overwhelmed and can cope with any surge, the lockdown has achieved its stated goals and intentions.

Facts like approximately 90% of the people that contract the virus are barely aware they even have it, those that do show symptoms, almost all of them recover, that for the remainder a very small % have severe problems, that more than 50% (conservative) of those that die, died in "skilled care homes" i.e. the very elderly and already health compromised, that the "curve" has been flattened, the hospitals are not overwhelmed and can cope with any surge, the lockdown has achieved its stated goals and intentions.

"I don't care about the people who die, or the people who have severe problems, and I refuse to believe the actual statistics of how many people are symptomatic or get killed by it. The risks that this virus poses to others are not my problem, because I don't think it poses a risk to me specifically."

"People getting their heads and faces touched frequently by someone who has obligorory contact with the faces and heads of other strangers, when touching heads and faces is a primary driver of transmission".

If you are so afraid, stay home, cut your own hair.

Do you say ether same about driving in fog? "This is the fucking highway, I'm gonna drive my 70 miles an hour even if I only see 20 meters. I'd you're too afraid to do so, you stay home!"

I've seen it. Heavy fog in a place that doesn't normally ever see fog and people kept driving normally even though visibility was 2 seconds at most. I got off the freeway as soon as possible, then was half an hour late for work because I couldn't make the turn in. (I finally figured out how to get there without making a left.)

Or what has happened here--complaints about a national park here staying closed. Turns out it wasn't about the crowds, but about the fuckwads damaging the place.

You say we don't care about the facts, but you're the one ignoring the facts. The facts are your approach leads to megadeaths.

Lets look at what happens if we do nothing.

We have populations that have been fully infected--the result is about a 1% fatality rate. R0 for this means we need about 70% immune to stop it. Lets assume your 50% number is right. We have about 1 million dead in care homes, about 1 million dead that aren't in care homes and god knows how many millions who are disabled by it.

Note that just because we have had a half-assed lockdown doesn't change this--if we don't continue to be careful for a long time to come we will be right back where we were before the lockdown.

Note, also, that those who don't respect the threat are more likely to get a bad case if they do get it, those infected despite taking care are more likely to get the asymptotic infection. (How big your exposure is seems to play a big role here--the lower your exposure the more mild your case.)

Back
Top Bottom