• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

The Virus - Are You Affected?

My daughter who graduates high school this spring continues to be very unmotivated to finish her work due to sadness over the loss of the whole senior spring celebration thing.

Recall last month she decided to isolate herself in the tent outside when she may have been exposed to the virus and her school had the police come to check on her and scare her half to death wanting to move her to a shelter, where by the way she'd have almost certainly been exposed. This despite that my daughter is 19, it was her idea to isolate in the tent, had heat, electricity, wifi, meals served to her and the run of the yard.

Despite a letter from her lawyer telling them to leave her alone school people keep sending her emails claiming they know that the real problem is us her parents. They are infuriating my daughter with their assumptions that they know better than my daughter why she is not motivated.

And they are infuriating us, such terrible parents, while refusing to grasp and accept the simple and real explanation why my daughter is unmotivated!

Lets see. No senior year celebrations. Stay at home orders. Fear of the virus. No seeing friends. She must have shitty parents. The pandemic can't be it!!!

Wow - that is so destructive. :( I'm sorry you are continuing to face problems from them!

I'm not really effected by this too much but I know the name of some guy who will be.

In the mail delivered to my house was letter from the Massachusetts Department of Unemployment Assistance/Pandemic Unemployment Assistance. This some guy has qualified for weekly payments. But his mail is addressed to my home address. I tried calling the Department and after 45 minutes on hold was told to call a different number which promptly told me that if I want to file for unemployment go to this website and fill in the form and hung up.

I've tried a few more times to get to a person who can contact this guy. No success.

I don't want this guy to go without his money and I don't want checks to him coming to my house but I can't spend all day on the phone trying to fix this. I'll probably try again another day. Over 90 minutes on hold today is enough.

Last edited:
I'm not really effected by this too much but I know the name of some guy who will be.

In the mail delivered to my house was letter from the Massachusetts Department of Unemployment Assistance/Pandemic Unemployment Assistance. This some guy has qualified for weekly payments. But his mail is addressed to my home address. I tried calling the Department and after 45 minutes on hold was told to call a different number which promptly told me that if I want to file for unemployment go to this website and fill in the form and hung up.

I've tried a few more times to get to a person who can contact this guy. No success.

I don't want this guy to go without his money and I don't want checks to him coming to my house but I can't spend all day on the phone trying to fix this. I'll probably try again another day. Over 90 minutes on hold today is enough.

Can't you just write on the envelope return to sender no longer at this address?

Well, high school graduation was a bit different for the class of 2020. My kid and friends got together to watch the graduation delivered over YouTube. I was pleasantly surprised at how much they enjoyed it. Sitting together, making snarky comments at the over achievers and cheering when a friend showed up on screen. I did enjoy it too, I wasn't confined to my chair next to people I didn't know, I could get up and go to the bathroom or get a drink, a snack or whatever and once my kid had their name called, I was pretty much done.

Probably. But never at this address would be more accurate. I know the names of the two previous owners and this guy isn't one of them. I found what I think is his real address in Massachusetts on the other side of the city. There is only one of them. If I get another letter I will probably mail it to him.

That's kind of a "only in America" problem: That's what you get from sending paper cheques by mail. How is this supposed to be a safe form of payment anyway? Don't you guys have bank accounts? Which century is this again??

That's kind of a "only in America" problem: That's what you get from sending paper cheques by mail. How is this supposed to be a safe form of payment anyway? Don't you guys have bank accounts? Which century is this again??

Banks are the Deep State. Except Deutsch Bank. They're on the up-and-up. :)

They're called poor people. They get their paycheck and they spend it. Seven percent of Americans are "unbanked", of these, the numbers are heavily weighted toward the Black and Hispanic populations.

Thirteen percent of Canadians are unbanked also. I'm sure there are unbanked individuals in Australia also but near as I can figure, the govt hasn't even bothered to identify them.

They're called poor people. They get their paycheck and they spend it. Seven percent of Americans are "unbanked", of these, the numbers are heavily weighted toward the Black and Hispanic populations.

Thirteen percent of Canadians are unbanked also. I'm sure there are unbanked individuals in Australia also but near as I can figure, the govt hasn't even bothered to identify them.

Not sure what your source for Canada is, but according to this report from 2017 100% of Canadians (within margin of error of 3.9 percentage points) have bank accounts. Same goes for Australia. In the US, the reported number is what you said though.

In my neck of the woods it's actually the law that all residents, even migrants or those with bad credit, are entitled to banking services.

It very well might have been a fraudulent application in the first place.

It very well might have been a fraudulent application in the first place.

Actually, if mail is delivered to your home for someone who does not live there, you should just take it to the post office.

Not sure what your source for Canada is, but according to this report from 2017 100% of Canadians (within margin of error of 3.9 percentage points) have bank accounts. Same goes for Australia. In the US, the reported number is what you said though.

In my neck of the woods it's actually the law that all residents, even migrants or those with bad credit, are entitled to banking services.

I misread info on Canada. Going by the World Bank report both Canada (3% by ACORN) and Australia (1% by NAB) are both under 5%. More detailed data on the US shows a 7.7% rate.

My point is this is not an "only in America" problem, by the World Bank's own report, it overwhelmingly is one of poverty and most prevalent in the SE states.

I'm back to work now. Denmark has now aligned itself with Sweden and has the same rules. They've opened the border between Sweden and Denmark. Officially you need a reason to enter Denmark from Sweden. But when I crossed they verified nothing of what I said. Other friends have had similar experiences. Even people who were just straight up lying to get over the border. And had not bothered to even falsify a good story.

So aparently Sweden was the way to do it.

Sweden is carrying on as they always have.

I'm back to work now. Denmark has now aligned itself with Sweden and has the same rules. They've opened the border between Sweden and Denmark. Officially you need a reason to enter Denmark from Sweden. But when I crossed they verified nothing of what I said. Other friends have had similar experiences. Even people who were just straight up lying to get over the border. And had not bothered to even falsify a good story.

Sweden is doing far worse than their neighbors.

Numbers are yesterday's (2020-05-26) from worldometer, except the last column which I calculated. They probably include some delayed registrations, but even the 7-day average lands them pretty much at the top (Spain's numbers are also unusually high for recent days/weeks so they probably include corrections too):

sweden_yesterday.png

Sweden has the most deaths per capita. What is "the way to do it" in your mind? Allowing more people to die so that everyone else can carry on as they always have is just blatant disregard for people's lives. Is Sweden's culture so callous that you prefer culling the herd over protecting its most vulnerable?

Numbers are yesterday's (2020-05-26) from worldometer, except the last column which I calculated. They probably include some delayed registrations, but even the 7-day average lands them pretty much at the top (Spain's numbers are also unusually high for recent days/weeks so they probably include corrections too):

View attachment 27903

Wrong quote reference. Do you mind if I fix it for you?

Back
Top Bottom