• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

The Virus - Are You Affected?

So aparently Sweden was the way to do it.

Numbers are yesterday's (2020-05-26) from worldometer, except the last column which I calculated. They probably include some delayed registrations, but even the 7-day average lands them pretty much at the top (Spain's numbers are also unusually high for recent days/weeks so they probably include corrections too):

View attachment 27903

Wrong quote reference. Do you mind if I fix it for you?

Indeed, thanks!

I'm back to work now. Denmark has now aligned itself with Sweden and has the same rules. They've opened the border between Sweden and Denmark. Officially you need a reason to enter Denmark from Sweden. But when I crossed they verified nothing of what I said. Other friends have had similar experiences. Even people who were just straight up lying to get over the border. And had not bothered to even falsify a good story.

Sweden is carrying on as they always have.

Sweden has a higher death rate than Denmark. There's no reason for Sweden to keep out people from Denmark.

I'm back to work now. Denmark has now aligned itself with Sweden and has the same rules. They've opened the border between Sweden and Denmark. Officially you need a reason to enter Denmark from Sweden. But when I crossed they verified nothing of what I said. Other friends have had similar experiences. Even people who were just straight up lying to get over the border. And had not bothered to even falsify a good story.

Once this is all over, it will be obvious that a prolonged lockdown was not necessary.

Once this is all over, it will be obvious that a prolonged lockdown was not necessary.

100,000 Americans are dead. How many need to die before you would find it reasonable to enforce social distancing. 200,000? A million? 20 million? What's the magic number?

100,000 Americans are dead. How many need to die before you would find it reasonable to enforce social distancing. 200,000? A million? 20 million? What's the magic number?

So when does lockdown end ? When we have reached immorality ? When a vaccine is created for every single virus that causes a death ? Get real.

So when does lockdown end ? When we have reached immorality ? When a vaccine is created for every single virus that causes a death ? Get real.
There was one simple question. You didn't answer it. You posed 3 new ones instead, some of which only tangentially relevant.

I asked you what measures you feel are reasonable and under what circumstances. Is this your answer, that you feel we should shut down until there is a vaccine for every virus?

I asked you what measures you feel are reasonable and under what circumstances.

Bullshit you did.

Bullshit you did.

Then let me ask - and I am asking an honest question here, and would appreciate an honest answer. What number of deaths would you consider a reasonable level to enforce social distancing in a pandemic?

Ruth

Some Countries Have Brought New Cases Down To Nearly Zero. How Did They Do It?

New Zealand's triumph

Perhaps the greatest success story is New Zealand, which has stopped local transmission and has a plan to completely eliminate the virus from its territory.

"The lesson is that it can be done," says Siouxsie Wiles, an associate professor of microbiology in New Zealand. "Obviously, the longer you leave it, and the more cases there are, the harder it becomes. But that doesn't mean that we shouldn't try."

Ardern called the threat "unprecedented," but she was calm and reassuring. "Here's how we'll know what to do and when," she said as she laid out plans to shut down schools, most businesses and domestic travel.

Wiles at the University of Auckland says that the prime minister did something quite interesting, "which was that unlike many other countries, she never put us on a war footing."

So Ardern's speeches weren't about attacking an invisible enemy — as many world leaders would say.

Instead she called on New Zealanders to confront this crisis by protecting their fellow citizens.

"She talked over and over about us being a team of 5 million and that we all do our part to break these chains of transmission and to eliminate the virus," Wiles says. "I think that has been one of the really crucial things — everybody knowing how they had to behave and that they were behaving for the good of everybody."

Wiles heard the prime minister's calls for everyone to come together so many times that she refers to it as Ardern doing her "united thing."

New Zealand is now reopening most businesses and is even talking about complete elimination of the coronavirus from its territory.

As of late May, New Zealand had had roughly 1,500 cases and fewer than two dozen deaths from COVID-19.

Take note, TSwizzle.

Bullshit you did.

Then let me ask - and I am asking an honest question here, and would appreciate an honest answer. What number of deaths would you consider a reasonable level to enforce social distancing in a pandemic?

Ruth

10s of thousands of people die every year from flu type virus. So I guess 10's of thousands is just fine.

Ruth

10s of thousands of people die every year from flu type virus. So I guess 10's of thousands is just fine.

We didn't ask what was "fine". What is not fine? When is it time to start coordinating a response?

Ruth

We didn't ask what was "fine". What is not fine? When is it time to start coordinating a response?

When can a lockdown be lifted, when we reach immortality ? When we have a vaccine for all virus known to cause harm ? When ? When may we leave the house sir ?

Ruth

Well, that is not what I asked but I accept your answer as being honest. We are now in the hundreds of thousands of deaths in the US from COVID. Do you still consider it reasonable that there should be no social distancing enforced at the current level?

Ruth

Well, that is not what I asked but I accept your answer as being honest. We are now in the hundreds of thousands of deaths in the US from COVID.

I believe that number to be grossly inflated.

Do you still consider it reasonable that there should be no social distancing enforced at the current level?

I believe that the people that are vulnerable i.e. the very elderly and infirm should be protected. With more than 50% of deaths occurring in care homes the lockdown did absolutely nothing for them.

But in any event, as things unfold it becoming apparent that the lockdown really didn't achieve much in terms of saving lives or stopping the spread. It was already on the downward trend as lockdowns were being enforced.

A nurse who had no pre-existing conditions has shared a shocking photo of his 50-pound weight loss after spending six weeks on a ventilator battling COVID-19.

Mike Schultz, 43, was only released from a Massachusetts hospital last week after spending 57 days battling coronavirus-induced pneumonia.
well he didn’t die, so must be perfectly fine then. And who wouldn’t want to loose some weight.... oh, but his was 50 lbs of muscle mass

Well, that is not what I asked but I accept your answer as being honest. We are now in the hundreds of thousands of deaths in the US from COVID.

I believe that number to be grossly inflated.
Really? I find it odd that you are willing to accept the official numbers for flu deaths, and distrust the official numbers for COVID deaths. I do remember a couple of flu seasons where the warnings given by officials were dire, and the number of deaths was very high - but not as high as the current COVID deaths. And those numbers were only counted for the official flu season which is considered to be from October through May, so the death numbers for COVID are for a period less than half the length of flu season.

Do you still consider it reasonable that there should be no social distancing enforced at the current level?

I believe that the people that are vulnerable i.e. the very elderly and infirm should be protected. With more than 50% of deaths occurring in care homes the lockdown did absolutely nothing for them.

But in any event, as things unfold it becoming apparent that the lockdown really didn't achieve much in terms of saving lives or stopping the spread. It was already on the downward trend as lockdowns were being enforced.
I am not sure how you think the vulnerable population can be protected without social distancing and lockdowns in the general population. There is no avoiding contact with people outside the care homes, as they need nurses, doctors, cooks, cleaners, laundry personnel etc. to help care for them. And every person from outside is a possible viral vector.

The downward trend for this virus has just started. When the lockdowns and social distancing were ordered, the upward trend had just been established.

Back to my original question - what number of deaths would you consider to be a reasonable amount to enforce social distancing?

Ruth

Back to my original question - what number of deaths would you consider to be a reasonable amount to enforce social distancing?

That’s a different topic to the lockdown which I was talking about but when there is a bug going about normal voluntary precautions should suffice.

When can a lockdown be lifted, when we reach immortality ? When we have a vaccine for all virus known to cause harm ? When ? When may we leave the house sir ?

I want your answer to that question. What kind of mortality justifies a lockdown?

Back
Top Bottom