• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

The Virus - Are You Affected?

Anywhere between 40 to 50% of deaths have occurred in long term care facilities. Not college campus, nursing homes.
Uh yeah. Because those have been closed down. Sensibly.

Yeah, that’s the important part. The needless close down of education institutions, not the sacrificial slaughter of tens of thousands of the elderly in nursing homes.

I have no idea what you're talking about with the latter. But the former is proof that quarantine measures are effective, if such was needed.

Yeah, that’s the important part. The needless close down of education institutions, not the sacrificial slaughter of tens of thousands of the elderly in nursing homes.

I have no idea what you're talking about with the latter. But the former is proof that quarantine measures are effective, if such was needed.

Bullshit. The young don’t need quarantine they aren’t vulnerable. You don’t quarantine the healthy you quarantine the sick and vulnerable. The lockdown has done immeasurable harm to the younger people.

Bullshit. The young don’t need quarantine they aren’t vulnerable. You don’t quarantine the healthy you quarantine the sick and vulnerable. The lockdown has done immeasurable harm to the younger people.

Hey, it isn't fair to argue using a science based response to counter an emotional opinion. ;)

Article from the CDC:
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/community/schools-childcare/reopening-schools.html

The Importance of Reopening America’s Schools this Fall

I've lost one student to this pandemic already, and six more have gotten sick. This isn't strange or abnormal; while older people are at greater risk, it does not correlate that the young are somehow immune. They can also carry the disease to others. Your sources are lying to you.

I've lost one student to this pandemic already, and six more have gotten sick. This isn't strange or abnormal; while older people are at greater risk, it does not correlate that the young are somehow immune. They can also carry the disease to others. Your sources are lying to you.

One student, as tragic as that is, does not warrant the complete and utter shutdown of life as we know it. The science and data do not lie, the vast, VAST majority of people who contract Covid survive unscathed and most never knew they had it.

One student, as tragic as that is, does not warrant the complete and utter shutdown of life as we know it. The science and data do not lie, the vast, VAST majority of people who contract Covid survive unscathed and most never knew they had it.

You people really are heartless, aren't you? You do realize I knew this young woman whose life you are dismissing as unimportant, right? But of course, my student is not the only young American who has died. Roughly a fifth of the national causalties so far, roughly 10,000 people, have been under the age of 50, and youth deaths from COVID are noticeably more common in states that have left schools open for face-to-face classes or who have had intermittent periods of opening and closure rather than a full shutdown. You can see the data for yourself here: https://healthdata.gov/dataset/provisional-covid-19-death-counts-sex-age-and-state

And life has not been "totally shutdown" as you say. Public activities have been temporarily suspended. That you engage in such absurd melodrama while accusing others of emotionalism is quite telling.

In case you haven't noticed, the entire country hasn't been shut down. Things have been shut down only when it would be insane to allow them. And things that can be opened with mediation have been opening where conditions warrant. It seems it has escaped your attention that where those conditions have been met corresponds with where people are behaving rationally and conforming to the government's guidelines to wear masks and limit social interaction. Where people have demonstrated a stubborn unwillingness to follow the guidance of the experts the sanctions have been increasingly imposed. It's something they have brought on themselves. You seem to have no understanding of what "the complete and utter shut down of life as we know" might mean, even when hundreds of thousands of lives hang in the balance. This pandemic can easily get much, much worse than it is. Everyone wants life to get back to normal. Nobody wants tighter restrictions. But following your advise and that of President Trump will lead to just that.

I shouldn't be saying this, because it may be premature and tempting fate, but it looks like Donald trump and I have something in common. We tested positive on the same day. Both doing well so far. On behalf of both of us I'd like to thank all the well-wishers.
What are your symptoms so far?

Started off (exactly a week ago) with severe headache, achey limbs, etc. At first I didn't notice the loss of smell and taste but there was that too. Then a bit of a cough. That's when I had the test (last Thursday) which turned out positive (last Friday). Since then, headache dwindled, as did cough, but there was a tightness in my chest for a few days. Now that has eased a lot.

I just self-isolated at home alone, took lots of vitamin D, vitamin C & zinc tablets, drank loads of water, and rested. I know I'm not necessarily out of the woods yet, but at least I'm currently getting better not worse. I'm to stay self-isolated until Saturday. I'm 60, so not exactly outside a risk group.

I have no idea where I caught it. I don't know anyone else who has it and I had a very quiet, indoors week prior, as regards mixing with other people. My best guess is that I got it while out shopping, by touching something someone else had touched.
Looks like standard symptoms. Do you use oximeter? I understand you have to monitor oxygen level and call emergency immediately at 94%. Even if you feel fine.

Started off (exactly a week ago) with severe headache, achey limbs, etc. At first I didn't notice the loss of smell and taste but there was that too. Then a bit of a cough. That's when I had the test (last Thursday) which turned out positive (last Friday). Since then, headache dwindled, as did cough, but there was a tightness in my chest for a few days. Now that has eased a lot.

I just self-isolated at home alone, took lots of vitamin D, vitamin C & zinc tablets, drank loads of water, and rested. I know I'm not necessarily out of the woods yet, but at least I'm currently getting better not worse. I'm to stay self-isolated until Saturday. I'm 60, so not exactly outside a risk group.

I have no idea where I caught it. I don't know anyone else who has it and I had a very quiet, indoors week prior, as regards mixing with other people. My best guess is that I got it while out shopping, by touching something someone else had touched.
Looks like standard symptoms. Do you use oximeter? I understand you have to monitor oxygen level and call emergency immediately at 94%. Even if you feel fine.

Amazingly, you may think, I had to google what an oximeter is. No, I haven't been using one, and it wasn't suggested to me. I have considered buying one now, online, but.......I'm getting better and will be out of self-isolation, all being well, in 2-3 days. Maybe it's a useful thing to have in any case, going forward?

I'm not sure how well the contact tracing is working here because no one has been in touch since the (National Health Service provided) test to ask me about contacts, although I have informed everyone myself (and so far no one has any symptoms, except one who had slight symptoms, but then tested negative and is feeling better).

The lady at work who got it two weeks ago is back to work now. Yes, she was tested. She said it was like a really bad flu. She has no long term effects. She's back to normal

Amazingly, you may think, I had to google what an oximeter is. No, I haven't been using one, and it wasn't suggested to me. I have considered buying one now, online, but.......I'm getting better and will be out of self-isolation, all being well, in 2-3 days. Maybe it's a useful thing to have in any case, going forward?

I'm not sure how well the contact tracing is working here because no one has been in touch since the (National Health Service provided) test to ask me about contacts, although I have informed everyone myself (and so far no one has any symptoms, except one who had slight symptoms, but then tested negative and is feeling better).
I saw some doctor on CNN saying it.
I think you need to monitor it and see what is "normal" for you now and if it drops then you are in trouble even if you feel fine. I mean drop means you are going to hospital one way or another. There is no point in waiting after the drop.

https://www.houstonmethodist.org/bl...nolly: If a person,levels can be caught early.

As a good rule of thumb, a person with COVID-19 monitoring his or her clinical status at home will want to ensure that the SpO2 reading stays consistently at or above 90 to 92%. If the number consistently drops below this threshold, timely medical evaluation is warranted.

Hey, it isn't fair to argue using a science based response to counter an emotional opinion. ;)

Article from the CDC:
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/community/schools-childcare/reopening-schools.html

You believe trump's CDC is science based. How quaint.

Article from the CDC:

No one argues that we don't want to reopen in-school schooling. It is convenient for everyone involved and the best for the students. Win-win.

That doesn't address the pandemic and the extraordinary risk of spread especially among the staff in the school and then outside. Even in places like northern Minnesota where deer out number people 100 to 1, they have transitioned from full in-school to a hybrid system.

Jesus Christ. Trump couldn't even maintain a safe White House (granted, he made all the wrong moves and scoffed at proper safety measures.) Who believes public school buildings can reopen at normal student population levels? If the WH is a disease vector, just picture every city, town and township in America with multiple vectors. I live in a small town setting with a mix of income levels. Our school system shares nurses between buildings and has just enough of a budget to keep a modest maintenance staff on payroll. The virus is freakishly contagious. A school building, given the way kids behave, interact, and act on impulse, would be a multi-story Trump rally.

Bullshit. The lockdown was implemented to make sure the hospitals and health services were not overwhelmed and to “flatten the curve”. This was achieved months ago but the authoritarians and control freaks that you so admire have become drunk on power and are so ideologically driven, continue issuing silly diktats that have nothing to do with science or data. Further, these fuckwits are responsible for tens of thousands of unnecessary deaths due to their reckless decision to put Covid positive patients back in to nursing homes. Anywhere between 40 to 50% of deaths have occurred in long term care facilities. Not college campus, nursing homes.

Because we are such idiots that doing it properly wasn't going to happen. The countries that did it properly have dealt with the virus and are pretty much back to normal. Meanwhile the Republicans want us to sacrifice millions on the false altar of the economy. (History shows that in the long run getting serious about disease produces a better economic outcome. You can force people into some danger but you can't make them engage in optional dangerous activities and an awful lot of people will avoid them.)

Even if children were 100% asymptomatic in every case, it would still be necessary to quarantine them.

The idea that it's not, is similar to the idea that controlling malaria shouldn't involve mosquito control, on the grounds that the mosquitoes feel fine, and aren't at any risk of dying from malaria.

That is, it's a brilliant conclusion, as long as you have only the sketchiest idea what the fuck you are talking about; But any actual understanding of epidemiology leads you to the exact opposite conclusion.

"We should reopen schools because children are not vulnerable" is a classic Dunning-Kruger 'Mount stupid' declaration.

Bullshit. The lockdown was implemented to make sure the hospitals and health services were not overwhelmed and to “flatten the curve”. This was achieved months ago...
...and at this point, you fail to grasp the natural world. You want to grab a shovel during a flood and dig out the levee because the levee had worked up to then so you didn't need it anymore.

The only way to keep the curve flattened was to continue with some restrictions. That conservatives don't understand this, disqualifies them from having any say in such policy in the future.

*Trausti approaching an imminent accident with passenger*
*Trausti takes off seatbelt*
Passenger: We are about to crash, what are you doing?
Trausti: This seatbelt kept me safe until this accident, so it did its job. No need for it anymore. I want my freedom.
Passenger: Are you crazy?
Trausti: I voted for Trump twi....*crash... Trausti flies out of the car 250 yards and slams into bridge pier*

Bullshit. The lockdown was implemented to make sure the hospitals and health services were not overwhelmed and to “flatten the curve”. This was achieved months ago...
...and at this point, you fail to grasp the natural world. You want to grab a shovel during a flood and dig out the levee because the levee had worked up to then so you didn't need it anymore.

The only way to keep the curve flattened was to continue with some restrictions. That conservatives don't understand this, disqualifies them from having any say in such policy in the future.

*Trausti approaching an imminent accident with passenger*
*Trausti takes off seatbelt*
Passenger: We are about to crash, what are you doing?
Trausti: This seatbelt kept me safe until this accident, so it did its job. No need for it anymore. I want my freedom.
Passenger: Are you crazy?
Trausti: I voted for Trump twi....*crash... Trausti flies out of the car 250 yards and slams into bridge pier*

Gibberish.

It's an opinion based on the vaccine candidates that are now in phase 1 and 2.
According to this, there are currently 43 candidates in phase 1 or 2. 11 are in phase 3.
Are you suggesting all of them are thought to be of very limited effectiveness?

I think the only vaccine candidate that is more than partial is the Russian one.
You seem to equate non-sterilizing with partial and partial with ineffective. But we have very effective vaccines that are non-sterilizing.

The idiots refusing to wear masks make it more important for others to wear masks. The idiots refusing to take any vaccine will of course make all limitting and quarantining efforts prolonged.
I agree with you with wearing masks during a pandemic. Expecting people to continue wearing masks after it is not that beneficial.

All the societies that had a MERS outbreak developed a culture where it became normal to wear masks even after the epidemic was defeated.
MERS mostly hit the Middle East (duh!)
I don't think there is a culture of mask wearing there, except for burqas. :)
I have seen a lot of everyday mask-wearing in East Asian countries though.

Masks aren't going anywhere. They will be the new normal.
I sure hope not!
At least in the US that is very unlikely. We can't get many people to wear masks even at the height of the pandemic. Imagine trying to get people here to wear them when there is no active pandemic? Fuggedaboutit! Germans are much more obedient as a people, not sure about you Swedes. :)

Back
Top Bottom